Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 288359 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1545 on: October 12, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »

Dear Anil,

Saint Manikkavachagar has also written in Tiruvachakam, Achap Pathu, Decad of Dread. There the saint poet says,
he is afraid:

1.  Not of serpents, but those who do not pray to Siva.

2. Of those who do not apply Vibhti and go to Siva temples daily.

3. Not of lies of liars but those who pose as Siva devotees and do all the ill deeds.

Like these, he says about 10 examples.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »
"Of those who do not apply Vibhti and go to Siva temples daily."

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Kindly elaborate the above line.

Ji. Yes.  I also dread those in whose hearts little devotion to the "Feet of the Guru' or the Lord is not kindled. I truly fear now only those who are so enmeshed in the labyrinthine worldly web that they are completely oblivious of the divinity within.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 13, 2011, 12:19:47 PM »
Dear Devotees,

There are times when I am not angry, and there times when I am angry. There are times when I love, and there are times when I hate. Sometimes I am glad, sometimes I am gloomy, sometimes I am dull, and so on so forth—always changing from moment to moment. Ego is born anew moment to moment. Therefore, the question is if I am changing all the time what is this thing called ‘I’?  Is this ‘I’ anger, or love or hate or dullness, etc.?

But how do we discern ‘I’ if it is changing moment to moment? How can we say there is change if there is not something, which itself unchanging, is able to perceive the change? THEREFORE, THERE MUST BE AN UNCHANGING POINT OF REFERENCE WITH WHICH CHANGE CAN BE PERCEIVED AND REMEMBERED AND EVEN MEASURED. THAT UNCHANGING THING IS THE SELF, THE ETERNAL ‘I’. So, in truth, ‘I’ DO NOT CHANGE. Of course, my concepts, my ideas, my attitudes, etc., always keeps on changing. But since I exist unchanged and unchanging, I can even so very easily observe and register all the changes.

So, question arises as to where does this ‘I’ belong? Where do ‘I’ feel the sense of ‘I’ always? Sri Bhagwan says that even a child says ‘I’ by placing the right palm on the right chest. This can be even corroborated by the spontaneous expression by each and every one of us. So, then the Seat of the Heart is within us. A physical locale is given to That which is Pure, Infinite Existence-Consciousness so that we may be able to relate. For we fail to relate to that which has a non-specific ‘everywhere’ as its seat. The Heart in truth is the spiritual centre expressing itself in a specific physical location. This, in my view, is also an act of Grace. However, the seat of the unchanging sense of ‘I’ in us cannot be any of the physical organs in the body. The physical heart may be completely changed by a transplant, but that does not change our sense of ‘I’, our likes and dislikes, etc. Source of our ‘I’ is therefore not any physical organ. IT IS THE SPIRITUAL CENTRE. 

Therefore, where is the Heart? SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT THE HEART IS WHERE THE ‘I’ IS.

Thank You,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 13, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »

Dear Anil,

The Saint says that he is afraid to see the people who do not apply Vibhuti on the foreheads and go to Siva Temples.
He is not afraid of anything else in the world.

He also says that he is afraid of people who do not fall at the feet of Siva, the feet which Vishnu could not fathom,
even though he broke the earth and went up to  the nether world to see Siva's feet.

Regarding Heart, Sri Bhagavan says two things;  one is Heart-Centre which is on the right side of mid chest.  The Heart is
everywhere, in fact, we are in the Heart. Heart is the Self which  is all pervading.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 13, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
“The Saint says that he is afraid to see the people who do not apply Vibhuti on the foreheads and go to Siva Temples.
He is not afraid of anything else in the world.” (Sri Subramanian Sir)

Confusion is still not gone. Does the great saint mean that he is afraid to see people who do not apply vibhuti on the foreheads, and without applying the Vibhuti, they still go to Siva Temples? Or in other words, is he afraid of the people who go to Siva Temples without applying Vibhuti on the foreheads ? Or is he afraid of people who do not apply Vibhuti and do not go to the Siva Temples either ?

Dear sir, during my college-years, I was greatly influenced by Bengali authors and poets like Sri Rabindranath Tagore, Sri Sharad Babu, author of Davadas, etc., and great western poets like Sri Keats, Sri Wordsworth, etc. Therefore, I felt it quite apt to cite some of my ‘extracts’ from the works of those great authors and poets whenever I found them relevant to this discussion. 

“Men going home glance at me and smile and fill me with shame.
I sit like a beggar maid, drawing my skirt over my face,
And when they ask me, what it is I want,
I drop my eyes and answer them not.”
                         Saint-Poet, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

The source of the above poem is not known to me. However, the great poet, Sri W.B. Yeats, while commenting on the above poem, says, “Sri Rabindranath Tagore, like the Indian civilisation itself, has been content to discover soul and surrender himself to its spontaneity. He often seems to contrast his life with that of those who lived more after our fashion, and have more seeming weight in the world, and always humbly as though he were only sure his way is best for him.”
Dear sir, ‘discover soul and surrender yourself to its spotaneity’ is, in my view, Sri Bhagwan’s central teaching on ‘surrender.

The traveller has to knock at every alien door to come to his own, and one has to wander through all the outer worlds to reach the innermost shrine at the end.
My eyes strayed far and wide before I shut them and said “Here art thou !”
The question and the cry “Oh, where ?” melt into tears of a thousand streams and deluge the world with the flood of the assurance “I am !”
                                           Gitanjali, Saint-Poet, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Thank you so much, sir.
 Regards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 13, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »

Dear Anil,

What the saint poet says is that he is afraid of seeing people who do not apply Vibhuti AND go to Siva temple, [ thus wasting their time].

Arunachala Siva.

Anand Sundaram

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Deleting the original message e with pranams to Anil .Regards,
Anand.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:51:36 PM by Anand Sundaram »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
“The teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi
This forum is dedicated to the teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.”

“Your posts seem to concentrate on self enquiry and your hints,doubts , replies by other senior members if pertaining to a specific theme would be more highlighted if captured under a different subject albeit under self enquiry .”(Quote: Sri Anand Sundaram)

Dear Sri Anand Sundaram,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, this discussion has always veered round the Path of Self-enquiry because Self-enquiry is Bhagwan Sri Ramana’s central Teaching. Because Self-enquiry includes in itself all other paths. Because Sri Bhagwan says that as you proceed in Self-enquiry, you automatically surrender. Because, in my view, Self-enquiry is the panacea for all the diseases affecting the mankind in the modern age. And, last but not the least, this discussion has been the part of my sadhana and helped me to maintain the focus. This discussion has given a tangibility to my hitherto intangible spiritual concept and understanding.

Dear Sri Anand Sundaram, I am not able to make out in what way this innocent discussion has come in the way of spending your time gainfully on the forum. I am not competent enough to start a new topic every other day. Since this discussion has been a part of my sadhana, I have tried to post only that aspect of Sri Bhagwan’s Teachings every day, which occupied my mind or on which I contemplated that particular day. And in all this, I always felt that Sri Bhagwan is Himself observing, guiding, and even prompting, and I always basked in His Presence particularly when I discussed Self-enquiry as taught by Him.

No, dear Anand Sundarm, no. I am not going to start a new topic even though this discussion itself is soon coming to an end. I started this topic to clear my doubts, and that is done. I, in truth, have now no need to continue on the forum much longer. I have learnt what is to be learnt intellectually. I now do not wish to learn anything more. I NOW JUST NEED ‘BE’. THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO IT.

Dear Sri Anand Sundaram, there is one thing more, which through you, I wish to convey my feelings, to all respected members on the forum. This is only my feeling and not a formal request. I FEEL A DEEP HURT WHEN I SEE HONOURED MEMBERS STARTING TOPICS AND POSTING CONTENTS OF ALL SORTS WHICH ARE NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO SRI BHAGWAN’S TEACHING UNDER THE BOARD OF THE FORUM “THE TEACHINGS OF BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA MAHRSHI” which is dedicated to the Teachings only.

Thank you,
    Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 14, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwab says, “You are the Atma (Self) and that sakshat, that is, Self-realised, here and now.”

Therefore, what is that which is called Self-realisation ?

Sri Bhagwan says that this question shows that the one who thus questions thinks that one is the non-Self. Or one thinks that there are two selves, the one to realise the other, which is rather absurd.

Identification of our Self with the body lies at the root of all our problems. It is rather surprising that this problem arises only in the waking state. They did not arise in sleep. Sri Bhagwan teaches by asking, “What is the difference between these two states, i.e. sleeping and waking, that all sorts of questions and problems should arise in the waking state and not in sleep ?” Because, now, in the waking state we think we are the body. On waking we think, “Here I am, there he is, there is yet another, yet another; and so on.” We find only bodies and bodies all around us and therefore we think, Oh! there are so many selves.
No question or problem arises in sleep. Why? BECAUSE WE ARE ONLY ONE AND THERE ARE NOT SO MANY IN SLEEP. That is why we do not ask in our sleep, “I am sleeping here, how many are awake?” WE DO NOT ASK SUCH QUESTION BECAUSE IN SLEEP WE ALL ARE ONE.

So, what is that which is called Self-realisation? Sri Bhagwan says that ‘Atma Sakshatkara’ (Self-realisation) is only ‘antama nirasana’ (giving up the non-Self). Self-realisation, like all other knowledge, is not an objective knowledge.

Dear devotees, we all are aware that knowledge gained through the senses are mere perceptions. They are neither true ‘seeing’ nor true knowledge. Senses are mere instruments of perception.
I AM THE SEER. ALL WE NEED DO IS TO REMAIN AS THE SEER. THEN WHAT IS THERE TO SEE? SUCH IS THE STATE IN THE DEEP SLEEP, AND SO QUESTION DOES NOT ARISE.

Dear devotees, how I am writing, discussing, and speaking to you ? What makes it possible in the first place ? MY EXISTENCE. I first exist and this truth of my existence makes it possible to even question about my existence, such as, “Who is this Self?” The Self is the only existence. I cannot ask this question unless I exist at the same time. The question itself implies that I exist. Therefore, I must find out ‘Who am I?” I must find out who is it who questionsand that means suicide.  I MUST BECOME EAGER TO DIE IN THE DEATHLESS.
                                                                                                  Source : Talks

Thank You,
  Anil               

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 14, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Dear Sri Anilkumarsinha ji,

I appreciate your focus. It is an inspiration. Its not easy! Although in the scheme of self enquiry, there is nothing to get appreciation and to appreciate!

There is nothing more to add here

with prayers :)

Salutations to Bhagavan

If one's mind has peace, the whole world will appear peaceful.

~ Sri Bhagavan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 14, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji

Yes, despite worst imaginable hardship, somehow, by His Grace, I have been able to keep focus and maintain Self-attention. Thank you so much, sir, for your appreciation. You have very appropriately observed that in the scheme of the Self-enquiry, it is the Self alone who appreciated the Self. All is the Self. There is no other.
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 14, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »

Dear Anil,

If you desire so, you can start a new topic "Self Surrender and its meaning."

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 15, 2011, 08:21:20 AM »
“If you desire so, you can start a new topic "Self Surrender and its meaning."

It is so very kind of you to suggest a very appropriate topic for me. Thank you so much, sir.  “Self-surrender and its meaning” is indeed a perfect topic for me to continue interacting with you and other forum members. But, unfortunately for me, my present predicament is such that I feel that whatever spare time I have, I should utilise it contemplating, meditating, and observing, though Atma-Vichara, by His Grace, is constantly with me, be it sleeping, waking, or dreaming, or be it day or night. It does not matter.

Dear sir, I have had a very, very beneficial and uplifting discussion with you and other forum members in which all my doubts got cleared of their own accords. I do not have the ability to repay the debt, due to me, and therefore this creature will always remain indebted to you.

I must let you know that I love all the forum members and devotees of Sri Bhagwan as much as I love my Self and my own family members and therefore I wish and pray that they all should forgive me if I have offended anyone of them in any manner whatsoever by my writing and responses under the current topic.

Dear sir, I wish to wind up, and so, I would be posting a few concluding posts under the current topic. That is all.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 15, 2011, 08:35:24 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The question, such as, “How to conquer passions?”, or “How to deal with sentiments and emotions?” was often raised  before Sri Bhagwan by afflicted devotees. Sri Bhagwan’s standard reply to such question is well known, and almost always followed the same pattern:

If passions and emotions are something external to us we can take arms and ammunition and conquer them.” We have to understand that passions, emotions, sentiments, desires et al, are mere thoughts, all connected with the ‘I’-thought which along with the associated thoughts come from within us. If we look into the Source whence they issue forth they all vanish, being unreal. It is the world and the objects in it which arouse our passions and emotions and desires. But we are aware that world and the objects therein are created by our mind. They do not exist during our sleep. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that the right way is to find out the root of all passions, root of all desires, root of all emotions, and get rid of them for once and all. If, instead, we seek to check or control the passions, emotions, desires, etc. they may remain suppressed for the time being, only to reappear again, given the opportunity. Satisfying the passions and desires and nurturing the sentiments and emotions, wouldn’t work either. So, esoterically, at least for those who are initiated and are in the net of Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, the right way is to find the root of all these mischiefs and thus overcome them. For all these are thoughts including the central ‘I’-thought are unreal, having no existence. They are the ephemeral contents of the Consciousness. We are the Consciousness Itself.

Dear devotees, even the V. 2-59 of the Mankind’s Scripture, Srimad Bhagavad Gita teaches :
“From the abstinence, sense objects of the man (Jiva) fall away, but not the taste for them. When the Supreme Truth is realised, even the taste departs.”

Therefore, it follows that abstinence and practice of scrupulously keeping away from the objects of the sense enjoyment is not the ultimate remedy for their thirst. For, instinctive urges and subtle hankerings continue to draw us away, if some time or the other they avail the opportunity. In the cited Gita Verse, it is clearly stated that only the spiritual realisation and the experience that one is the Self and not the body, can alone uproot them completely.

Dear devotees, Sri Viswanatha Swami was in his teens when he came to stay permanently at the ‘’Feet of Sri Bhagwan’. Naturally, in his youthful mind, the body related thoughts would arise. So, he sought guidance from Sri Bhagwan. It is in this context that Sri Bhagwan revealed this famous Words of Wisdom”

“It is only by awakening a power mightier than the senses and the mind that they can be subdued. If you awaken and sustain the growth of the power within you, everything else will be conquered.”

This is, in my view, the most appropriate interpretation of the cited Verse 2-59 of the Gita. This is the way to conquer the passions, emotion, etc. BY AWAKENING WITHIN US THE POWER MIGHTIER THAN THE SENSES, BY ENQUIRY, AND SUSTAINING THAT POWER, WITHIN US, CAN ALONE ENNABLE US TO GET RID OF THESE DESTRUCTIVE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS.

Thank You,
  Anil     

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 15, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
Dear Devotees,

“It is only by awakening a power mightier than the senses and the mind that they can be subdued. If you awaken and sustain the growth of the power within you, everything else will be conquered.”

Dear sir,
When we ask how to awake our power, they say, there is no need of awakening because you are already awaken. But we cannot subdue or conquered our mind. Knowing does not help to conquere our mind. In this way once again we reach to the same pole where we started our journey.

Ramanaduli

]