Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756483 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1530 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »
Thou art the inner Self, who dancest in the Heart as ‘I’.
‘Heart’ is Thy Name , Oh Lord !
                                                                             Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

Bare Consciousness, or Pure Consciousness “I AM’ persists, whatever one is doing, whoever one is, whatever one is thinking or doing, and in whichever state one is. Sri Bhagwan says that this ‘I AM’ that shines within all is the Self. Therefore, our Existence is forever. For, the Be-ing is the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I AM’ is the Name of God and of all His definitions, none is so well put as the Biblical statement “I AM THAT I AM”. Other Statements or Mahavakyas , such as, ‘soham, Aham Brahmasmi, etc., are not so direct as the JEHOVA=I AM.

Dear devotees, the Great Biblical Statement “I AM THA I AM” is inked in Exodus 3, V.13, 14 which are cited as under :

“And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel and shall say unto them the God of your father hath sent me unto you; and they shall say unto me what is His name ?, what shall I say unto them ?”
And God said unto Moses, ‘I AM THAT I AM’; and He said, “Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel. ‘I AM’ hath sent me unto you”.

Therefore, ‘I AM’ is the Heart from where everything, living and non-living, issues forth. Who can say that ‘I AM’ is not known? No body denies his existence. Sri Bhagwan says that the Self or ‘I AM’ IS KNOWN TO EVERYBODY BUT NOT CLEARLY. SO, THIS ‘I AM’ IS THE CLUE TO REALITY.

Thank You,
     Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 09, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. The Heart is another names for the Self.  He dances in the Heart Centre as "I". So his name is Heart, says Sri
Bhagavan in Verse 2 of Pancharatnam.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 10, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »

“Heart is another names for the Self. He dances in the Heart Centre as "I". So his name is Heart, says Sri
Bhagavan in Verse 2 of Pancharatnam.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. The Self is the Heart. Sri Bhagwan says that It dances as ‘I-I’ in the Heart-centre. But the Heart is here , there, and everywhere. Therefore, how should we find It ? Self-same Heart shines as everyone, everywhere. But certainly, at least from the stand point of ignorance, it can be said that Jnana cannot be attained everywhere. Sri Bhagwan even gave a physical location for the Heart with reference to the body. But the Heart transcends body, space and time. Therefore, how to meditate on and seek the Heart, which is said to pervade not only the whole body, but is said to be everywhere ?
Dear sir, I request you and other members sincerely to express the insightful understanding as to how do you and other members see this aspect of the sadhana (practice) of the Self-enquiry.       

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 10, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
“I know not how thou singest, my master ! I ever listen in silent amazement.
The light of thy music illumines the world. The life breadth of thy music runs from sky to sky. The holy stream of thy music breaks through all stony obstacles and rushes on.
My heart longs to join in thy song, but vainly struggles for a voice. I would speak, but speech breaks not into song, and I cry out baffled. Ah, thou hast made my heart captive in the endless meshes of thy music, my master !”
V. 3, Gitanjali (this sublime composition won first Nobel prize for India), Saint-poet, Sri Rabindranath Tagore (translated by the great poet himself from the original Bengali)   

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has given compassionately a physical location to That with reference to the body. I know that I am. Where am I? I am in the body and not out of it. Yet I am not in the whole body, though I pervade the whole body. Still I admit of a centre where from all our thoughts rise and wherein subside. So, Sri Bhagwan says that a centre must be admitted. That is called the Heart. The Heart is not merely the centre but the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that the Heart is only another name for the Self.

Sri Bhagwan says in Talk--92 that the one Infinite Unbroken Whole becomes aware of itself as ‘I’. This is His Original Name. All other Names, such as, Om are later growths.  THEREFORE, THE HEART IS WHERE THE ‘I’ IS.

Therefore, How to meditate on the Self WHOSE Seat is the Heart ? Simple. I am and it is a fact. So, Meditation is by ‘I’, of ‘I’, and in ‘I’. IT MUST GO ON WHERE I AM. It cannot be outside ‘I’. THEREFORE, IT FOLLOWS THAT I AM THE CENTRE OF MEDITATION AND THAT IS THE HEART. AND IT ALSO FOLLOWS FROM THIS DISCUSSION THAT MEDITATION AND ENQUIRY SHOULD GO ON WHEREVER I AM, FOR ‘I’ IS THE INDUBITABLE REALITY. IS IT NOT ?

Dear devotees, I reiterate once again that the Heart is where the ‘I’ is.

Thank You,
    Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 10, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Dear Devotees,

The ego is said to be the product of the second darkness. What does this mean? What are the first and the second darkness? Will you kindly like to share your views?

Thank You,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 10, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »

Dear Anil,

In Tamizh it is called Muppazh or Three Voids. The first one is Isvara. The second is Jiva.  The third is what underlies the three states
of waking, dream  and deep sleep.

Why Isvara is mentioned as one of the three? Because, you see the world and want to know how it came into being. They say
that it was created by god. If you know that He created you and all else, your mind is a little satisfied and becomes less restless
than otherwise. But it is not realization. It can only be if you realize yourself. That is perfection, Realization.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 10, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

“In Tamizh it is called Muppazh or Three Voids. The first one is Isvara. The second is Jiva. The third is what underlies the three states
of waking, dream and deep sleep.” (Sri Subramanian Sir)

Ji. Yes. Indeed, the three-Voids explanation is a worthy one. There is no doubt about that. Thank you so much, sir.

Therefore, it follows that Isvara is the product of the first darkness; Jiva (ego) and the world (this) are the product of the second darkness. This is a very worthy explanation indeed. However, I wish to discuss the same concept, metaphysically, as well, in the light of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching, for my own benefit as well as for the benefit of those who may be interested.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 11, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »
Thou art Thyself the one being, ever aware as the Self-luminous Heart ! In Thee there is a mysterious power (Shakti) which without Thee is nothing. From it proceeds the phantom of the mind emitting its latent subtle dark mists, which illumined by Thy light (of consciousness) reflected on them, appear within as thoughts whirling in the vortices of prarabdha, later developing into the psychic worlds and projected outwardly as the material world transformed into concrete objects which are magnified by the outgoing senses and move about like pictures in a cinema show. Visible or invisible, oh hill of grace, without Thee they are nothing.
                                                                                                V. 6, Eight Stanzas to Sri Arunachala 

Dear Devotees,

So, there is a wonderful and mysterious Power (Shakti) in the Self-luminous Heart. She is also not independent of Her Origin. She cannot be seen in the Self-shining Pure Being. Sri Bhagwan says in the above verse that from Her (Power or Shakti) sublime Original activity proceeds the phantom of the mind emitting its latent subtle dark mists. Her sublime Original activity is the ‘Power vibrating’. The ‘Power vibrating’ is what is called the Original Ignorance or the Original Sin. Sri Bhagwan says here that Pure Radiant being can rise up as the Ego only in the Light of Consciousness diffused through darkness. Therefore, it follows that the Power or Shakti vibrating is the original Darkness. The Light passing through this Darkness is called the Reflected Light. Sri Bhagwan says that the REFLECTED LIGHT ON ITS OWN MERITS IS COMMONLY KNOWN AS THE PURE MIND OR ISVARA OR GOD. In other words, the REFLECTED LIGHT IS ISVARA OR GOD. In this way Isvara or God is the first reflection of the Light of the Consciousness from the ‘Power Vibrating’, or it may be said that Isvara or God is the Light of the Consciousness diffused through the Original Darkness, that is Power vibrating.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that from this Pure mind or God, impure mind, that is, the Rajasic or the Active mind or the ego, as well as the tamasic or the dull mind are projected through the second reflection only. Thus, we see that ego is the product of the second reflection or darkness.

Therefore, dear devotees, a play is going on in which One Single Being becomes manifold, is objectified and then withdrawn.
The above can be summarised as below:
First, Sattva filled reflection results from the Original Sublime Activity of the Shakti or the Power. The Sublime Activity is the Power vibrating. THIS IS THE PURE MIND WHO IS KNOWN AS GOD.
From the former Sattvic Mind or the Pure Mind or God , rajasic mind or the ego is projected by another reflection. And then follows the tamasic or the dull mind.
Sri Bhagwan says that just as the artificial light is projected through a lense on to the screen, so also the Reflected Light passes through thought, which acts as the magnifier, before expanding as the world beyond. Thought, itself the world and jivas in the seed form, is the wide and solid-looking external world. SUCH IS THE EXTRAORDINARY POWER OF THE SHAKTI !

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that in this way, God, individual and the world are only of the Reflected Light, having the Self-shining Single Radiant Being as the Substratum.

Sri Bhagwan says that in as much as the ego or the ‘I’-thought witnesses all other objects in the waking and dream states, or at any rate we think that it does so, it must be considered the subject. On realising the Pure Self, however, it will be found to be object only.   

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that in order to have Pure Sattva or the Reflected Light, free from rajas and tamas, It must shine as ‘I-I’, unbroken by ‘this’ thought. This is the pure state which momentarily intervenes between sleep and waking. If prolonged, this is the cosmic consciousness or God. This is the only passage to the Realisation of the Self-shining Supreme Being.

Thank You,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 11, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Dear Devotees,

‘I’ is the one indubitable entity. If thought occurs, this ‘I’ is the thinker, if doubt occurs, it becomes doubter. And what not does it become? Thoughts and feelings keep on issuing forth without number from within. We must therefore infer that there is an inexhaustible source from which arise varied modes of thoughts and feelings. It is also obvious with a little scrutiny that ‘I’ exists during all the three states of the mind, namely, waking, dreaming and sleep states. Some may doubt if ‘I’ exists in deep sleep, but this doubt can be easily dispelled with a little investigation. It is true that we are conscious of neither the body, nor the mind, and nor therefore of the world, when we are overtaken by the profound sleep. But certainly this does not mean that we cease to exist during the state of deep sleep. Sri Bhagwan says that if we are conscious neither of the body, nor of the mind, and nor therefore of the world, IT SIMPLY MEANS THAT THESE THREE STATES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ‘I’ PER SE OR AS SUCH. IT IS THE THREE STATES THAT CEASE TO EXIST AND NOT THE ‘I’. There is one more thing which we must always remember. The ‘I’ is always the ‘I’-consciousness which subsists during all the three states of the mind. It implies that this ‘I’-consciousness must also have existed during the deep sleep also.

IF WE ARE NOT AWARE OF THE ‘I’ DURING THE DEEP SLEEP, IT IS CERTAINLY BECAUSE WE ARE NOT AWARE OF IT WHILE AWAKE. Therefore, ‘I’ with fullest awareness is the fullest Self-awareness, one without a second, One Eternal Reality, ever-persisting, pervading and at the same time transcending all the lower states of objective consciousness (Suttarivu), which cannot exist but for the ever-persisting Eternal ‘I’, the Self.

Thank You,
   Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 11, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »

Dear Anil,

"I" is ever present. I with the wakefulness is our wakeful state. I with the dream is our dream  state. I with the deep sleep is our
deep sleep state. But we do not know the real  "I" because, we are not able to transcend the thoughts.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 11, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
“The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their prarabdhakarma (destiny to be worked out in this life, resulting from the actions of the past lives). Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent.”
                                                                                                                                             Sri Bhagwan

“Why should you bear your load on the head when you are travelling on a train? It carries you and your load whether the load is on your head or on the floor of the train. You are not lessening the burden of the train by keeping it on your head but only straining yourself unnecessarily. Similar is the sense of doership in the world by the individuals.”
                                                                                                                                              Sri Bhagwan

Great Saint-Poet, Sri Rabindranath Tagore sings :
“O Fool, to try to carry thyself upon thy own shoulders !
O beggar, to come to beg at thy own door !
Leave all thy burdens on his hands who can bear all,
And never look behind in regret.
The desire at once puts out the lamp it touches with its breath.
It is unholy—take not thy gifts through its unclean hands.
Accept only what is offered by sacred love.
                                                                                            V. 9, Gitanjali

Such being the truth, ignorant fools think, “I come, I see, I conquer.”

Thank You,
   Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 12, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
Quote: "I" is ever present. I with the wakefulness is our wakeful state. I with the dream is our dream state. I with the deep sleep is our
deep sleep state. But we do not know the real "I" because, we are not able to transcend the thoughts. (Sri Subramanian Sir)

Our real nature is meditation even now. So, in this context I felt it apt to quote a conversation from ‘Talks’ here as follows :

Mr. Greenlees : Is the constant reminder “I am”, trying to feel it while actually at work, enough ?
Sri Bhagwan : It will become constant when the mind becomes strengthened. Repeated practice strengthens the mind; and such mind is capable of holding on to the current. In that case, engagement in work or no engagement, the current remains unaffected and uninterrupted.
                                                                                                               Talk—310

The strength of mind does not mean its capacity to think myriad thoughts furiously. By the strength of the mind is meant power of the concentration and capacity to hold on to a single thought and not to get distracted and enmeshed in all kind of thoughts. There is no doubt that the repeated practice of the Self-enquiry strengthens the mind and therefore it is able gradually to hold on to the ‘I am’ current for longer and longer period.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan says that meditation is our real nature even now. We think that we are meditating because at present other thoughts are distracting us. If thoughts are dispelled by Enquiry, one is alone, that is, in the state of meditation, free from thoughts. In the present state of ignorance, keeping away of other thoughts is called meditation. However, Sri Bhagwan says that when the practice becomes firm, the real nature shows itself as true meditation.
Thoughts are certain to arise more forcibly when the meditation is attempted. There is nothing to worry about that, for that is natural. We must remember Sri Bhagwan’s famous statement in this context and proceed forward rather than get bogged down and keep on lamenting that thoughts are distracting.
“Yes, all kinds of thoughts arise in meditation. It is but right. What lies hidden in you is brought out. Unless they rise up how can they be destroyed ? They therefore rise up spontaneously in order to be extinguished in due course, thus to strengthen the mind.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55:10 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan speaks about innumerable thoughts coming up as due to samskaras.  And He says that because of this,
the scriptures tell you to go to a Guru and listen to him. Sravanam, Mananam, Nididhyasanam  are prescribed only to
eradicate the effect of samskaras. [Talks No. 289].

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 12, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
“Sri Bhagavan speaks about innumerable thoughts coming up as due to samskaras. And He says that because of this,
the scriptures tell you to go to a Guru and listen to him. Sravanam, Mananam, Nididhyasanam are prescribed only to
eradicate the effect of samskaras. [Talks No. 289].”
                                                     Quote : Sri Subramanian Sir

I believe that what is really needed is the conscious effort to turn the mind inward. I also believe that for those who have really come to the ‘Feet of Sri Bhagwan’, by his Grace, they will certainly learn how to tackle thoughts, in due course. It is not at all a matter of only individual effort.  Some devotees have rightly observed that it is by Sri Bhagwan’s Grace alone that one is attracted to the Direct Path of Self-enquiry, which is His CENTRAL TEACHING, and which was incessantly emphasised by Him. The mind is known to revel in complications and riddles and relish solving them. THEREFORE, IF ONE OPTS FOR A WAY WHICH DOES NOT PROVIDE FOR AVENUES OF SUCH RELISH TO THE MIND, IT CANNOT HAPPEN WITHOUT HIS GRACE IN OPERATION.  NAY, I should say unwavering inward journey itself implies, and it is the certain sign, that the Sadguru’s Grace is already in operation.

However, steady effort must be made till the inwardness is achieved. Thereafter, I am sure that Sri Bhagwan’s Grace would one day swallow one alive. Without Sri Bhagwan’s Guidance from within and without his Grace, it is not possible to sustain for long on the Path, for one is sure to encounter doubts, loss of interest , listlessness, etc. sooner or later. Therefore, we should always remember:
“INTROVERSION IS DUE TO GRACE, PERSEVERANCE IS DUE TO GRACE AND REALISATION IS GRACE. GRACE IS THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE AND THE END.”

Sri Bhagwan says that the Self-realisation is only the spiritual unfoldment or discovering of what is always there. So, one should proceed with spiritual practice with full confidence of its assured success. Why should we stultify ourselves by speculating and anticipating failure ? Sri Bhagwan says, “Others have succeeded. Why not you?”

As for ‘innumerable thoughts coming up’, as you said, I submit that thoughts like waves in the sea are only on the surface. Sri Bhagwan has taught that one who wishes to bathe in the sea cannot say he would rather like to wait till the wave subsides and the sea is peaceful. Can such a person ever bathe in the sea ? He must resolve to bathe in it as it is. He has to learn and get trained either by himself or by proper training to duck under each wave till he acquires the skill to duck wave after wave at a stretch. Then the restless sea holds no fear for him for he knows now how to tackle it.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 12, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Muruganar says in Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai (Decad of Dread) that he fears nothing but dreads those who lack devotion to the Holy Feet of Sri Bhagwan.

Neither sleep nor wakefulness,
Neither forgetting not remembrance,
Nothing I dread, not even
The tiny drop of sweat on the forehead
Of girls with deer-like glancing eyes,
Nothing on earth I dread so much
As the light of those who lack devotion
To the holy Feet of Ramana, who,
As the plenitude of Being, knows
No going and no coming

Neither hot, fierce poison, nor
The grievous terrors of hell, I dread,
Not even the amorous wiles of women,
Whose heads are covered thick with flowers,
Nothing on earth, I dread so much,
As the sight of those who seek not and know not,
The Feet of Venkata, the mightiest Master
Whose heart in stillness abides.

So long as we do not seek the ‘Feet of Sri Bhagwan’, with great devotion, and merge there, Sri Muruganar will eschew from our sight and dread us.

Thank You,
   Anil