Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759550 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1500 on: October 02, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
Dear Devotees,

We must go back the way we came, to our Source, if we are to attain the Bliss of the Atma-swarupa. It is everything and all. Rest everything else is secondary. We must go back to our Source to experience inherent joy of the Natural State and the pure and integral mind. Sri Bhagwan taught that clinging to the core of the mind and search for its Source would eventually lead to Self-experience. Intense questioning is certain to result in the mind being merged in the Source, which is our natural and Supreme Abode of Bliss.

It is surprising indeed that with so much at stake, such a great loss for so little to gain, yet many devotees of Sri Bhagwan are not prepared or are unwilling to try and go the whole hog for the inward search of our Source, in spite of our claim of the gracious entry of Sri Bhagwan in our lives, and availability of the Direct Path of the Self-enquiry or the Atma-vichara. Mind, at present is ego-centric. It is this ego-centric mind which prevents us from going the whole hog for inward search whole-heartedly. Initial surface dalliance with effort to control the massive flow of thoughts notwithstanding, they seem only too happy to give up holding the subject and seeking its Source.

UNLESS THE CORE OF THE MIND IS HELD AND THE SOURCE SOUGHT, WE CANNOT REACH THE STATE OF NON-EMERGENCE OF ‘I’, THE STATE OF THE SELF, THAT IS, THE STATE OF SILENCE OR BEING.

The main reason is the location of happiness. There is a chasm between the location of happiness in the state of ignorance and the Reality. Through our long ingrained habit, consequent upon the memories and experiences of pain and pleasure, carried forward from our past actions, the mind is externalised and is always seeking and looking out for happiness outside in sense objects, relationships, society, communication, information, entertainment and so on. Yes, now-a-days attention appears to completely shift to entertainment, information, technology, relationship, etc., AWAY FROM THE ONE WHO WISHES TO BE INTERTAINED, WHO WISHES TO BE INFORMED AND SO ON.
THERE IS NO WAY OTHER THAN ROOTING OUT THIS FALSE ASSUMPTION ABOUT THE SUBJECT WHICH ARISES DUE TO ITS WRONG IDENTIFICATION WITH SO AND SO AND THIS AND THAT. 
Sri Bhagwan says :
“We have never really cared to face our ‘I’.” Yes, even in a 24-hour life situation, we hardly ever attend to the subject who is engaged in the pursuit of so many things. Pursuer himself is neglected while the pursued take our total attention. In this endless thought mix-up, the subject, the individual, the enjoyer, the perceiver, himself, is forgotten and lost. WHAT PITY! 

Therefore, intense questioning and searching of the Source, with the entire mind, whole-heartedly is imperative. Intense questioning is bound to result in the mind being merged in the Source. When the breakthrough is achieved in the form of subsidence of the ceaseless thought movement, it is accompanied by the fore-taste of the impending Bliss, an indescribable peace of mind, WHICH IS FOCUSSED ON HIMSELF, THAT IS ON THE SUBJECT ‘I’ and not in the objects outside. All one has to do then is to keep this focussed attention on himself, always enquiring and searching for the Source of the subject.

Sri Bhagwan says:

“IT IS ONLY BY AWAKENING OF A POWER MIGHTIER THAN THE SENSES AND THE MIND THAT THEY CAN BE SUBDUED. IF YOU AWAKEN AND SUSTAIN THE GROWTH OF THE POWER WITHIN YOU, EVERYTHING WILL BE CONQURED.”

Therefore, awakening the power within us and sustaining its growth is the way to conquer everything.

Thank You,
  Anil               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »

Dear Anil,

Mind [egotistic mind] must be rubbed with pure mind until it becomes pure.
Sri Arunachala Ashtakam describes this.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 02, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
“Like a tree which on a scorching day
Offers cool shade to every comer,
By nature, not by choice,
Even so He stands,
Calm, immaculate, impartial,
But saving all who reach His feet.
                                              Sage-poet, Sri Muruganar

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Quote: “Mind [egotistic mind] must be rubbed with pure mind until it becomes pure.
Sri Arunachala Ashtakam describes this.”

Ji. Yes. Tamas by rajas and rajas by Sattva. Gem is cut and polished so that it reflects the incident light almost as it is. So also, Sri Bhagwan says that when the impure mind is worked against the wheel of the Pure Mind, impurities in the form of vasanas are removed, which then reflects His Light and Grace unimpaired, and shines, unaffected by any outward objects.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 03, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
All ego gone,
Living as That alone
Is penance good for growth,
Sings Ramana, the Self.
                                V. 30, The Essence of Instruction

“Is there any way of adoring the Supreme which is all, except by abiding firmly as That !”
                                                                            Invocation, Vichara Sangraham

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan’s Word is that ‘living as That free from the ego-‘I’, is the greatest ‘tapas’ (penance).

After His Self-realisation, Sri Bhagwan is said to have explained the royal and straight path of Self-enquiry, for the first time, to Sri Gambhiram Seshier, in 1901-02, on bits of paper, which were then copied in a note-book by Sri Seshier himself, to be subsequently published by Sri Ramanasramam, under the title ‘Vichara Sangraham’ or Self-enquiry. I consider this invaluable work of paramount importance from the seekers’ point of view. Even the invocation puts one on the trail of Self-enquiry. What is also worth note is that Sri Bhagwan delineated and taught only the Royal Path of Self-enquiry to the first three earnest devotees, namely, Sri Gambhiram Seshier, Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai, as well as to Sri Ganapati Muni. Therefore, there is no doubt that Sri Arunachala’s Incarnation and Sri Bhagwan’s Advent happened, within the confines of time and space, to revive the ancient, but forgotten and lost, Path of Self-enquiry, for the salvation of mankind.   
See for yourself the first ever reply given by Sri Bhagwan to the first question raised by Sri Seshier:
Sri Seshier : Master ! What is the means to gain the state of eternal bliss, ever devoid of misery ?
Sri Bhagwan : Apart from the statement in the Vedas that wherever there is body there is misery, this is also the direct experience of all people; therefore, one should enquire into one’s true nature which is ever bodiless, and one should remain as such. This is the means to gaining that state.

Dear devotees, body and misery are synonyms.  Where there is body there is misery. But are we the mere insentient bodies? No, we cannot be. We are ever bodiless. We should enquire and remain bodiless in the ‘Glow of the Self’. ‘ENQUIRING INTO OUR TRUE NATURE, AND REMAINING BODILESS, IN THE GLOW OF THE SELF, IS THE GREATEST TAPAS OR PENANCE.

Now the second ever question:
Sri Seshier: What is meant by saying that one should enquire into one’s true nature and understand it ?
Sri Bhagwan : Experiences such as, ‘I went; I came; I did’ come naturally to everyone. From these experiences, does it not appear that this consciousness ‘I’ is the subject of those various acts ? Enquiry into nature of that consciousness, and remaining as oneself is the way to understand, through Enquiry, one’s true nature.

We must understand, at the subtle level, the implication of this Epoch-making Revealed Teaching: 
ENQUIRY INTO THE NATURE OF THE CONSCIOUSNESS ‘I’, WHICH APPEAR TO BE THE SUBJECT OF VARIOUS ACTS, AND REMAINIG AS ONESELF, IS THE WAY TO UNDERSTAND, THROUGH THE ENQUIRY, ONE’S TRUE NATURE. Dear devotees, remaining as oneself is inescapable and is central to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching of the path and method of the Self-enquiry.

Now the third ever question:
Sri Seshier: How is one to enquire: ‘Who am I?’
Sri Bhagwan says in reply to the third question that actions such as ‘going’, ‘coming’, etc., pertain to the body. But when we say that ‘I come’, ‘I go’, etc., it amounts to saying that this body is ‘I’. But can this body, which is inert like log of wood, ever shine as consciousness ‘I’? Can we remain without enquiring into the ‘I’-consciousness which arises at first in respect of the body, called egoity or self-conceit ? Sri Bhagwan says that IT IS OUR REDEMPTION THROUGH ENQUIRY THAT ALL THE SCRIPTURES DECLARE THAT THE DESTRUCTION OF THE SELF-CONCEIT IS RELEASE. Therefore, making the corpse body remaining as a corpse, and not uttering even the word ‘I’, one should keenly enquire thus, “What is it that rises as ‘I’?” Then there would shine in the Heart, of its own accord, the wordless illumination of the form ‘I-I’, who is none other than the Pure Consciousness. Then Sri Bhagwan says that if one remains quiescent in that experience, the egoity of the form ‘I am the body’ will be totally annihilated. And the last thought viz. the ‘I’-thought will also be quenched like the fire that burns camphor.

Thank You,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 03, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »

Dear Anil,

Vichara Sangraham has only been told by Sri Bhagavan. It was
recorded by Seshier and he made into an essay.  But it was not
made known to the world. After Seshier demise, his brother Krishna
Iyer brought it as a book, after showing it to Sri Bhagavan. Whereas
Sri Bhagavan wrote in His own hand on the sand or on a slate with
a chalk the complete Who am I? Tamizh question and answer version.
Of course, this was done over a period of few days. Later Sivaprakasam
Pillai who asked the questions, wrote in an question and answer fashion.

A few years later Sri Bhagavan Himself made it into a running essay.

Both these works came between 1900 to 1902.  Upadesa Manjari
came a little later. As for date, the first prose work of Sri Bhagavan
was Nan Yar?

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 03, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »

Thank you so much for posting important information with regard to two of the most important books on Self-enquiry, “Who am I?”, and the “Vichara Sangraham”. The books say that Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai put thirteen questions to Sri Bhagwan in 1902. Sri Bhagwan wrote His replies   either on sand or with chalk on a slate. However, what is surprising to me is this that thirteen question version of “Who am I?” was published as late as in the year 1923. I have also gathered from the books that Sri Pillai continued to revise the questions and answers and at a later date the twenty-eight question version was published. Perhaps it was for this reason that Sri Bhagwan Himself decided to rewrite “Who am I?” in the essay form. Sri Bhagwan is said to have made changes in the structure and content. The book says that, as a result, the essay version of “Who am I?” should be regarded as an original work of Sri Bhagwan.   

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Before Sri Bhagwan’s Presence in my life, I had read, I had been informed, that Self-Knowledge or Enlightenment, of all the accomplishments, is the most difficult, and the rarest of rarest, and the remotest state to achieve. Sri Bhagwan is the only Sage, in my knowledge, who insisted on the ever-present accessibility and the obvious naturalness of the Self-realisation. There has been no Sage, or  the Sadguru in the past, who taught and declared  to all and sundries thus:
“Lo, very easy is Self-knowledge,
Lo, very easy indeed.”

Yes, it is not the sadhana or practice, as Sri Bhagwan has repeatedly insisted, to achieve something which we already do not have, a glittering prize to be awarded for some future achievements. It is not even a matter of earning gradually or little by little. Sri Bhagwan says that it is just the matter of noticing NOW, nay, HERE AND NOW, JUST AS ONE IS. Although other Sages and the Sacred Scriptures including Srimad Bhagavad Gita stress its importance and availability, but Sri Bhagwan is certainly the clearest and the most uncompromising about it. In my view, Sri Bhagwan’s greatness also lies in His Teaching to the effect that COMPARED TO ONESELF ALL OTHER THINGS ARE DISTANT AND OBSCURE, INVISIBLE AND FUGITIVE—IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AT. ONLY THE SEER IS CLEARLY SEEN.

Problems, passions, obstacles, difficulties, et al—to whom ? Sri Bhagwan’s attitude remains uncompromising to such things. Sri Bhagwan has taught with a mother’s care that all the troubles that afflict us reduce to one trouble—MISTAKEN IDENTITY. Sri Bhagwan taught that solution to all problems whatever, afflicting humans, is to see who has it. On the level of individuality, problem is insoluble. This is vital to understand.

Dear devotees, it is a great absurdity, a fundamental error, to believe in what we look like from a distance. That we are physical bodies, individuals, known as human beings, is so deep-rooted a sickness and a disease that it alone underlies and generates all the ills. Perfect Spiritual Doctor that He is, He has diagnosed the basic disease as THE MISTAKEN IDENTITY.  Sri bhagwan is the only Sage and the Guru who points out utterly directly the root of all the problems plaguing the mankind and He is the only sage who consistently refused to treat the mere symptoms. “WHO AM I?” IS THE ONLY TRUE MEDICINE AND THE SERIOUS COURSE OF TREATMENT TO GET RID OF ALL TROUBLES ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Thank You,
     Anil                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. There were initially 13 questions and these were long winding
questions. So these were expanded to 28 single questions. This
version is what we are having even today. The single essay version
is available in the Collected Works.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »
“This
version is what we are having even today. The single essay version
is available in the Collected Works.” (Quote : Your post, re. 1549)

I have also gathered from the books that Sri Pillai continued to revise the questions and answers and at a later date the twenty-eight question version was published. Perhaps it was for this reason that Sri Bhagwan Himself decided to rewrite “Who am I?” in the essay form. Sri Bhagwan is said to have made changes in the structure and content. The book says that, as a result, the essay version of “Who am I?” should be regarded as an original work of Sri Bhagwan. (Quote: my post, re. 15470)

You have mentioned in your post that single essay version of ‘Who am I?’ is available in the Collected Works. But when I perused the contents of the aforesaid book, I found that essay version of the book was not included in the Collected Works. So, this book may have been included in the Collected Works in a later edition. I am not able to trace the edition of the copy that I have. I feel that this book (Essay Version written By Sri Bhagwan Himself) may have been brought out and published separately as well. If this is the case, under what title the essay version of the ‘Who am I?’, written by Sri Bhagwan Himself, is available ? Is it available in the Ashram Book-depot ?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 04, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »

Dear Anil,

I checked up two edtions of Tamizh Collected Works and two English editions.
In Tamizh collected works, the essay version has been given. All
English versions have got only question and answer versions.

Arumachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 05, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The greatest advantage of the Self-enquiry, in my view, is that it makes living possible in the present. Nay, the Self-enquiry makes living possible in Presence. In the present state of ignorance, thoughts in the mental firmament are either carried forward from the memories of the experiences of the past actions or a heavy load of thoughts related with the future. All these thoughts, which are related either with the experiences of the past or are related with the future, are rewound into the present. It is the attention of the individual which brings in the past and the future thoughts into the present. In truth, our present is destroyed by bringing in the past and future thoughts into the present, by paying attention to them. BUT OBVIOUSLY, ALL EXPEREINCES ARE POSSIBLE AND CAN TAKE PLACE IN THE PRESENT ONLY.

Therefore, the greatest advantage of the Self-enquiry is that it at once enables one to escape the time and space by cutting off all thoughts and shifts the attention effectively on ‘now’ and ‘here’. Self or the Reality is ‘here’ and ‘now’, transcending both space and time.

Dear devotees, mind’s habit of externalisation is long ingrained. Therefore, sufficiently long practice of the self-enquiry is imperative to eradicate the long cultivated tendencies of the mind. There is no doubt that ingrained habits and tendencies of the mind can be indeed eradicated by Self-enquiry. Besides, when one practices Self-enquiry diligently, there comes a stage when one finds that sometimes one is in and sometimes one is out of the experiences of the Self and its Bliss. Knowledge and ignorance alternate intermittently, and even co-exist, from this stage onwards. However, as the clarity of the experience grows, the mind’s strength to lure away to graze on second and third person objects, as well as on the past and future thoughts, would certainly weaken.

If one practices Self-enquiry, with firm belief in Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching, and with His Grace, cessation of all straying of the mind can be accomplished. Goal is to merge the mind firmly in its source, without a break.

From Sri Bhagwan’s Statement on a number of occasions, as I have understood, it is obvious that a devotee may wander hither and thither on some hotch-potch indirect paths, even may take detours, but in the end, has to come to Self-enquiry, which alone is the Royal and Direct Path to the Heart.

Sri Bhagwan says to Sri Humphreys, the first foreign devotee of Sri Bhagwan :

“Give yourself a quarter of an hour a day. The results will show themselves in four or five months time in all sorts of unconscious clairvoyance, in peace of mind, in power to deal with troubles, in  power all round, always unconscious power.”

Thank You,
    Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 05, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »

Dear Anil,

Why Self realization is possible only in the PRESENT?  Because the mind is always thinking about past and future.  The Present,
the mind can never capture. By the time you think of the Present, it becomes past. NOW is beyond the reach of mind. In the Present,
the mind is non existent.

Hence the self realization  where there is no work for mind, is possible only in NOW or the Present.

Arunachala Siva., 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 05, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
“Hence the self realization where there is no work for mind, is possible only in NOW or the Present.” (Quote: Sri Subramanian sir)

This is a nice post. Thank you so much, sir.

In practical life, the part of time of which we are directly aware is said to be the present time. So, time cannot be experienced as a point, even a billionth of a second, but a length in time, in which past and future meet. Where exactly they do meet cannot be ascertained. Reality is ever-present, ‘ever now’ or Eternity.
Ji. Yes. Mind cannot grasp ever-present now, for it is a reflection, abhasa, away
 from the Eternity, which verily is its basis. You have very aptly observed that in the ever-present ‘now’, mind is non-existent. When we try to attend to first person, it disappears and only the Self remains. Similarly, if we try to attend to the present time, even to a billionth of a second, time disappears and ever-present ‘now’ alone remains. Sri Bhagwan says in the Verse-15 of the ULLadu Narpadu that seeking to know the past and present without knowing the truth of the present, that is, timeless or ‘eternal now’, is like trying to count without the unit, one.  (To continue )

Regards,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: October 05, 2011, 05:50:16 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan lived in the ever present NOW since He had conquered the mind. Only a Pure Mind can live in the NOW. Pure
mind is another name of Self.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. Therefore, ‘Eternal Now’ is that time which does not have least modification of movement. Sri Muruganar defines the ‘Eternal Present’ as that time which does not have least modification of coming and going. So, Sri Sadhu Om says that Atma-sadhana can be done not only in the form of attending to the first person out of three persons, but also in the form of attending to the present out of the three times. In whichever way we practice, that is, either attending to the first person or to the present, both the first person and the present time disappear, being found to be truly non-existent, and the ‘Eternal Greatness’, that is the Atma-swarupa, is attained.

When we attend to the first person, we find that there is no individual ‘I’. Only the Self is. So also, if we attend to the present time, it disappears and we find that there is no time. Only the Self is. All is the Self. We find at the conclusion of the sadhana that first person and the time are nothing but verily the Self just as the apparent snake is nothing but a rope. 

Therefore, it follows from the above discussion that the first person and the present time are similar in nature. For, when we meditate or scrutinise either upon the ego-‘I’, (first person or first place) or the present time (the first time), both the ego and the present disappear, being found to be truly non-existent and our real Existence-Consciousness ,’I AM’, which transcends both space and time, will alone remain. CONCEPTION OF TIME AND SPACE THEN ARE GIVEN UP.

Sri Bhagwan says in the V. 16 of the ULLadu Narpadu, “Except us (we) where is time and space?” If we still consider ourselves to be the body, we are certainly caught up and imprisoned in space and time. IF, WITHOUT SCRUTINISING OURSELVES IN THE MANNER, AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN, WE CONTINUE TO MISTAKE THE BODY TO BE ‘I’, TIME WILL SWALLOW US.

A Jnani does not see such things as the time. He does not see the Self as three different times. HE SEES ONLY THE SELF.

“NOW, THEN AND ALWAYS—HERE, NOW AND EVERYWHERE—WE ARE THE SAME.
WE EXIST, TIMELESS AND SPACELESS WE.”
                                                                  Sri Bhagwan

Regards,
  Anil