Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758410 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »

Dear Anil, with my limited understanding of Sanskrit, the prefix
'a' is added to a word to denote the opposite meaning.   Ajnanam-
Jnana, Sat-asat, soukyam - asoukyam [health and ill health.]

Jnanam and Sat denote the Real.  So asat and ajnanam denote
unreal and also unnatural.  The unnatural is totally false.  Like
the child of a barren woman or horns of a hare.  Unreal is appearing
as real sometimes, due to ignorance.  Like mirage is taken for water
and a garland is mistaken for a snake. 

Bhagavan Ramana says in Talks No. 289:

To know that there never was ignorance is the goal of all spiritual
teachings.  Ignorance  must be of  one who is aware.  Awareness 
is Jnanam.  Jnanam is eternally real and natural . Ajnanam is unnatural and unreal.     

Padqmalai, Verse 1011 says:

If Self consciousness is asat and insentient [jada] in nature, then
tell me how objective knowledge [suttarivu  in Tamizh] exists for
you?

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »

Dear Anil,

Incidentally, Nasatho vidyathe bhavo - [2.16] of
Srimad Bhagavad Gita is said to be the most secret verse
of the scripture.  Bhagavan Ramana says :  All that we see
with indriyas [senses] are asat.  The seer is Sat.  Only
Tattvadarsis can realize this Truth.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »
      Dear Sri Subramanian Ji,

Ji, Yes, the Verse 2.16 and some other verses from Srimad Bhagwat Gita, most of Sri Bhagwan’s own verses and Sri Muruganar’s verses in general have made deep impact on me. In truth, they changed my life for ever.

Dear Sir, as I have informed you earlier, I am leaving Patna today for Tiruvannamalai.
I shall reach Sri Ramanasramam on the 20 th and I shall return to Patna on the 26 th of this month. I do not know whether I would be able to maintain the thread of the discussion
meanwhile. Thank you  so much for a very fruitful and satisfying discussion I had with you
of late.

With Regards,
                                                                                                           Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Very nice.  Heart, son of a barren woman and mirage or garland
mistaken for serpent.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
SAT is what IS and is not subject to change.
ASAT is what is not there and not available for perception. Like the horns of a hare.
MITHYA is defined as "Sva-kalepi tistati", that which remains in its own time.

All this is Mithya. It is born, stays for some time and then goes.

The snake on the rope cannot be called SAT, coz it is changing. IT cannot be called ASAT also coz its available for perception. It is Mithya. It appears to be tehre but not there.

Dear Sri Udai Shankar,

A very, very, nice  and  enlightening post, Sir. Thank you so much  for
 differentiating ‘Mithya’ from ‘Asat’ so beautifully. This is, in my view, a very brilliant  post that
gives intellectual clarity to ‘Sat’, ‘Asat’ and ‘Mithya’. Thank you so much, Sir.

With Regards,
                                                                                                                Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2010, 08:06:11 AM »
    Dear Devotees,

I returned to Patna yesterday. What luck ! What fortune ! His Grace enabled me to witness
 the supremely divine and uplifting enactment at Tiruvannamalai. I felt Oneness hither to
 unknown. The Guru, I am aware, does not seek anything in return, but, nevertheless,
 a devotee, I feel, feels, and must feel, that how can he even think to perform ‘gurudakshina’
 to such a ‘Sadguru’ who gives unasked, other than having erased his ego surrenders in totality
 and pursues, steadfastly and single-mindedly, the ‘Teaching’ with absolute faith ?

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan often asked, ”Are there two shelves or two ‘I’s ? “
We must contemplate deeply that there is One Shelf, one ‘I’ and we are not different from It,
WE are verily It.

Thank You,
                                                                                                                   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »

Dear Anil,

I am extremely happy to know that you had been to Tiruvannamalai.
It is an enlightening experience for any one who go there and spend
some days there.  Had you been there on Mahadeepam Day?  It is
worth watching as the only fortune of this birth.  How many days
did you stay and could you eat in Asramam?  Bhagavan Ramana always insisted on devotees' taking food there.  If anyone could go there during breakfast or lunch or dinner time, He would insist
on them to eat there.  This is Guru Ramana Prasadam, as Muruganar says.  Many devotees had been cured of stomach and other ailments
by eating there once. 

I would request you to give the details of your visit in your next post.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »
    Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,
                               Pranam,

Ji, yes, Sri Bhagwan’s Grace enabled me to be in Tiruvannamalai on the ‘Maha Deepam’ day on 21.11.2010  and to witness the most uplifting, enlightening and the supremely divine enactment which was a breath taking and thought erasing spectacle for gods to watch.

Dear sir, I reached Bangalore from Patna by Sanghmitra Expr.at 10 p.m. on 20.11.2010 and in the morning on 21.11. 2010 at 8 a.m. set out by a Volvo bus from Majesty, Bangalore, with my wife, and reached Tiruvannamalai at 1 p.m. The bus detoured to the ‘giripradakshina’ path at its junction with the asramam road. We alighted from the bus at this point, took an auto, and reached Sri Ramanasramam at about 1.30 p.m. After ‘Darshan’ and prostrating to the Sadguru, I received the key for room, no. M-28 (Mourvi Gurst House) and stayed in it up to 24.11.2010 till departure.

Ji, yes, during all my visits to Sri Ramanasramam, I and my wife  have taken all food from tea and breakfast to lunch and dinner in Sri Ramanasramam only.
  I saw final touches being given to all preparations, be it barricading for crowd control tomorrow, security arrangement, temporary shop erection on both sides of the giripradkshina path and so on.
And Sri Ramanasramam was being decorated like the bride’s house just before the arrival of the bride groom and the party. Devotees were already performing giripradkshina from the evening of the penultimate day of the ‘Maha Deepam’ day, but only in trickle. But when I awoke at 5 a.m. in the morning on the ‘Maha Deepam’ day, devotees in thick streams, men and women, the young and the  old, in variety of colours and moods, were doing giripradkshina. I and my wife started giripradkshina at about 9 a.m., after prostrating to the Sadguru and Sri Arunachala from Sri Ramanasramam itself  and completed it at 1.30 p.m.after prostrating to the Guru and Sri Arunachala. But such great was the stream of the devotees that my wife got separated from me when we were approaching the town. But I was not perturbed in the least knowing with cent percent certainty that she would reach Sri Ramanasramam and complete her giripradkshina as well and reach the Asramam safely and unhurt which she did by only Sri Bhagwan’s Grace. However, she got a bit panicky when she approached the ‘Great Temple’ because of the great rush of the devotees on the path and everywhere, wherever she could direct her gaze. We neither ate any thing nor did we attend to natural calls till we completed the giripradkshina at 1 p.m. After noon , I am not certain whether we would  have been able to perform it due to  vast number of devotees on the path. We were not able to cross the road to reach the room in the Mourvi Guest House from Sri Ramanasramam where we had been provided accommodation.

Guests and devotees started assembling by 5 p.m. in the evening outside of the ‘Samadhi Hall’ where very elaborate arrangement had been made for the ‘Deepam Ceremony’ in the Asramam. We all sat outside the Samadhi Hall on the pathway and the beautiful sprawling lawn next to it, holding our breath and thoughts, full of deep reverence and piety and with great expectation. At exactly 6 p.m., I witnessed the ‘Light of Knowledge’ aflame atop (of) Sri Arunachala. Almost simultaneously, Deepam of Jnana was lit in the Asramam. We all stood up raising our both hands, some towards Sri Arunachala and some towards the Sadguru, chanting Arunachal Shiva. Whole place was filled with the light and sound of the fire and crackers. My ceased mind could not take in all and the eyes were filled with tears. However, after prostrating to Sri Arunachala and the Guru, we all sat around the ‘Deepam of Jnana’, lit outside of the Samadhi  Hall, arranged with so much care, and started chanting verses from the ‘Akshar mana malai’ and ‘Ramana Sadguru’. This heavenly and the divine event was reenacted daily till 23.11.2010,exactly at 6 p.m.

Next day on 22.11.2010, I with my wife performed Puja in the ‘Great Temple’. On 23.11.2010, Sri Arunachleshwara and the Mother from the Great Temple were taken out in a great procession round the town. When the procession reached Sru Ramanasramam’s gate where stood in reverence all the inmates of the Asramam including the President besides the other devotees in great number. Puja was performed and offering from the Asramam made to Sri Arunachaleshwara and the Mother near the Asramam’s gate itself. This event perhaps signified the culmination of the ‘Maha Deepam’ Ceremony.

I must mention that whenever I had time, I sat either in the Samadhi Hall or the Old Hall where air is thick with the palpable ‘Presence’ of Sri Bhagwan and where I had uplifting vivid experience.

On 24.11.2010, I with my wife, after breakfast, came to Katpadi by a taxi arranged by the Asramam and boarded the same Sanghmitra Expr and reached Patna on 26.11.2010 at about 1 p.m.

Dear Sir, I did not carry a camera on this visit to Tiruvannamalai. However, I took some snaps
from my mobile phone. Although the quality of the photographs is not good, I wish to upload some of them for the benefit of some devotees who may like to see. May I do so ? Thank you.

With Regards,
                                                                                                            Anil               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »

Thank you for your nice post.  Yes.  It is a mind-stopping experience.
In fact, I never had been there on Mahadeepam days, and in 2008 for the first time, I went there after three days.  Still I and my wife could
see the deepam still burning atop the Hill.   The view from Seshadri
Swami Asram right before Sri Dakshinamurty will be still better. But
I have not witnessed the Jnana Deepam alighted in the Asramam.
Every experience in a visit is worth remembering.  No untoward incident will happen either due to crowd or weather.  Do not worry.
Now that you have gone once, you will come every year once.  Bhagavan Ramana will automatically call you.  Our job is to continue keep the fire of faith burning.  I saw the webcam photo on every evening from Sunday to Thrusday.  I saw the light burning.  Perhaps
due to mist, it is not visible after Thursday. 

The Old Hall and Samadhi Hall are very potent places to feel His Presence.  Bhagavan Ramana was there in the Old Hall for more than 25 years giving darshan almost daily.  Now this Presence is also felt in Samadhi Hall.

You have not missed the breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.  These are all the prasadams of Bhagavan Ramana.  One should eat it and see
the results himself.

Let Bhagavan be ever with you and your family. Thanks.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »

I am sorry, by mistake, I mentioned that I reached Bangalore on 20.11.2010.
In fact I reached Bangalore on 19.11.2010 and the next day on 20.11.2010 at 8 a.m.
set out by a volvo bus and reached Tiruvannamalai at about 1 p.m. the same day.

Dear sir, I purchased ‘Padmalai’ and ‘Guru Vachaka Kovai’  by Sri Muruganar 
besides other books  from the Ashram Book-Depot. I already had Sri Sadhu Om’s translation of the Guru Vachaka Kovai. However, Dr Murty and Sri Kanan of Sri Ramanasramam suggested me to go through Sri Godman’s translation  of the same also. The verses you quoted from ‘Padamalai’ deeply touched me and, therefore,
I purchased it which is the first English translation of the great work by Sri Muruganar by Sri Godman. Sir, will you kindly enlighten me about this great work by the great devotee and poet ? What does the term ‘Padamalai’ exactly mean ? Thank you.

With Regards,
                                                                                              Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »

Dear Anil.

Muruganar wrote about 30,000 verses on Bhagavan Ramana.  He was an extempore poet, highly knowledgeable in Tamizh poetic meters
and grammar.  The first collection, was Sri Ramana Sannidhi MuRai.
A few of the verses from this have been translated into English by
Prof. K. Swaminathan.  The work is styled after Saint Manikkavachagar's, Tiruvachakam.  This is only speaking about the glories of Bhagavan.

The second lot is called Guru Vachaka Kovai.  This contains various
teachings of Bhagavan Ramana.  The original Tamizh verses have been corrected by Bhagavan Himself and He has also added about
20+ verses in between.  The first translation came from Michael James and Sri Sadhu Om.  This is somewhat tough.  David's translation is easier and contains many quotes and conversations
of Bhagavan Ramana at appropriate places.  This is a standard book if you do not understand Tamizh verses.   This is styled after Saint Manikkavachagar's Tiru Kovaiyar. Padamalai has been the third large book.  This contains teachings of Bhagavan randomly and this was again, barring a few,  re-arranged and set topicwise and translated by David Godman.  Padamalai means Padam + malai i.e. Garland of guru's padam.  Here padam means feet and also the source.

After this Robert Butler's Guru Ramana Prasadam has come.  This is a verse by verse by translation of Tamizh Ramananubhuti.  Experience of Guru Ramana. 

The remaining verses have been mostly published as original
Tamizh books under:

Sri Ramananubhuti 
Sri Ramanubhuti Venba
Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam.

Many more verses are still in Tamizh.  Delhi Ramana Kendra has
published the remaining books in 9 volumes.  Only one edition has come.  Each volume was priced at Rs 10.00!  I have got about 7
volumes of the book, picked from Ramana Book Stock Store and
not from the book shop.  These contain Ramana Alankaram etc.,
apart from earlier stated Sri Ramananubhuti, Sri Ramananubhuti
Venba and Padamalai.

Many more manuscripts, which have not seen the print,  should also be there.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
                      Pranam,

Thank you so much,sir, for providing complete and comprehensive information on the great poet and
 a great devotee's Sri Muruganar's works. So, I have following works of the great poet in my possession
 right now :

1. Guru Vachaka Kovai- Sri Sadhu Om
  2. - Do-                   - Sri David Godman
  3. Sri RAmana Anubhuti- Sri Robert Butler
    (Non-Dual Consciousness)
  4. Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam- Sri Robert Butler
  5. Padamalai                - Sri David Godman

Dear Sir, besides the above works, what other works of the great poet is invaluable
   and that , in your opinion,may help an earnest seekers ?

With Regards,
                                                                 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »

Jnana Deepam

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »

Dear Anil,

You have got most of the books of Muruganar that have been rendered in English.  There is only one book, the first one, Sri Ramana Sannidhi
MuRai,speaking only about glories of Sri Bhagavan and Muruganar's
pining devotion for Him.  Some songs of the Tamizh book have been
rendered in English, by Prof. K. Swaminathan, in 1994.  The publisher
is Sri Ramansramam.  Since there is no reprint, you may try since it
might be difficult to get this old book.

One song from Desika Padigam - Decad on Guru Ramana

This is the first song written by Muruganar on his maiden visit to
Sri Bhagavan:

Guru Ramana, Siva, as once you left
Mount Kailas and the company of gods,
And came to cool Perundurai to drink in
The sparkling words of Vachagar,
Now again you have come to the fair Aruna Hill
Wishing to hearken to this fellow's puerile words.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »
Dear  Sir, old devotees of Sri Bhagwan appear to be far better spiritually evolved than devotees today. Is this because of the age or because of Sri Bhagwan's physical presence? 
What is meant by Perundurai? Thank you, sir. Anil