Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756590 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1485 on: September 28, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Devotee: The mind does not sink into that state even for a second.
Sri Bhagwan : A STRONG CONVICTION IS NECESSARY that I am the Self, transcending the mind and the phenomena.
What does it matter if the mind is active ? It is so only on the substratum of the Self. Hold the Self even during mental activities.
Devotee : I cannot go within sufficiently deep.
Sri Bhagwan : It is wrong to say so. Where are you now if not in the Self ? Where should you go ? ALL THAT IS NECESSARY IS THE STERN BELIEF THAT YOU ARE THE SELF. Say rather that activities throw a veil on you.
Devotee : Yes. It is so.
Sri Bhagwan : That means that the conviction is weak.
                                                                                                                                     Talk—406

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that the artificial ‘I’ of the vijnana kosa is a projection and through it one must look to the significance of ‘I’, the true principle. So, ‘little self’ is only a false projection. QUESTION IS, WHY SHOULD WE, KNOWING THIS TRUTH, CONTINUE TO IDENTIFY OURSELVES WITH THIS PROJECTED FALSE ‘LITTLE SELF’ ? We must generate the strong conviction that this ‘little self’ is not really me. If we can thus convince ourselves, Sri Bhagwan says, it will disappear. If we reach a final understanding that it has no real existence, it will disappear for certain. THIS ‘LITTLE SELF’ WILL GIVE WAY TO THE REAL SELF. There is no ‘little self’ or ego-‘I’, or artificial ‘I’ in the All-pervading Consciousness that, in truth, we are. It is only when we identify with and limit ourselves to the body and the mind that this ‘artificial self’ is born. If Enquiry is made about its source, it is dissolved into nothingness. Rope looks like a snake in the dim light. If we see the snake, the real nature of the rope gets hidden. However, if we see the rope only, snake cannot be found there. NOT ONLY THAT, WE KNOW THEN THAT THERE NEVER WAS A SNAKE THERE. Not only that, if we have clear perception and we are fully convinced that the snake never existed, question to kill the snake would also disappear with this knowledge. So also, if we reach an understanding, by Enquiry, that this false ‘I’ never at any time had any existence, except in our imagination, concern for finding ways and means of getting rid of this ‘little self’ would also disappear.

We must understand Sri Bhagwan’s oft repeated statement that we are ever realised in the light of the above. We must understand that the real Self is never distant from us and therefore we cannot approach It or be at a distance away from It. HOW CAN WE ? FOR WE ARE ALREADY THAT SELF. So, Sri Bhagwan says that we must generate a firm conviction that ‘I AM THE SELF; I AM ALL; EVERYTHING IS THE SELF’.

‘Reflecting “I am the all-blissful Self”
Is worship as with words and flowers.
True circumambulation is the thought,
“In me the million universes roll”,
He who knows all beings bow to him
And he to none,
He bows before Mahalinga-Self.
                                                     V. 39, Ribhu Gita

Thank You,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 28, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
“Sri Bhagavan says in AAMM Verse 54:

When I approached you to become one with you, O Arunachala, you
were not ashamed but stood unmoving like a pillar.

Yes. Siva is called Sthaanu [Thaanu] in Sri Rudram. He is actionless
pillar. When the seeker approaches Him, He simply stands devouring
the seeker.” (Sri Subramanian Sir)

“By sinking deep within the Heart one becomes consciousness. The ego, the non-Self, departs, and all the accumulated false mental concepts, the defilement of the mind, cease and perish. Such a mind, which is pure sattva, is Siva swarupa, and it deserves to be known as consciousness, the supreme.”
                                                             V. 198, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

“The jnana-sakti [the mind], which emerges and expands in the form of activity, cannot function at all independently of the Atma-swarupa, absolute being. This Atma-swarupa, which is mere being and which exists as the primal source for everything, is indeed the pure Sivam that resides in [Chidambaram], the Hall of Consciousness.   
                                                              V. 201, GVK, Edited by Sri Davis Godman

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Just as actions do not exist apart from the one who performs it, likewise Sakti does not exist apart from Sivam who is the wielder of the Sakti. However, Sri Muruganar says that Atma-swarupa, which is mere being, is indeed the Pure Sivam. Pure Sivam is mere being and Consciousness, for ‘Hall of Consciousness’ is where Lord Siva abides as the Consciousness. Therefore, in Pure Sivam who is mere being, and who is the wielder of the Sakti, the idea of doership does not really exist.

Maya is said to be the Sakti of illusion premised in Siva. Sri Bhagwan says that ‘maya’ is what is not. Sri Adi Sankara says that the Absolute is without attributes and that MAYA IS NOT AND HAS NO REAL BEING. THE IMAGES OF THE MIRROR CANNOT IN ANY WAY BE REAL. Therefore, the unreality of the world and phenomena is obvious enough. Sri Bhagwan says all these things are there only to teach that the ‘ULTIMATE AIM IS TO REALISE THE ABSOLUTE CONSCIUOSNESS’.

Please take notice:
Echoing V. 4 of the ULLadu Narpadu, in Talk—531, it has been recorded that a Nayanar, when he went to Kalahasti for the darshan of God, saw all people there as Siva and Sakti BECAUSE HE HIMSELF WAS SO.
“All is your jugglery, Oh Lord !”

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 28, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »

Dear Anil,

More particularly, a person who has surrendered to God, will see
every human being, why every being as God only. This is true
self surrender. Sri Bhagavan describes this in Verse 5 of Pancharatnam:

He, who with Heart to you surrendered,
Beholds for ever you alone,
Sees all this as forms of You
And loves and serves them as none other
Than the Self, O Aruna Hill,
Triumphs because he is immersed
In you whose being is pure Bliss.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 29, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »
More particularly, a person who has surrendered to God, will see
every human being, why every being as God only. This is true
self surrender. Sri Bhagavan describes this in Verse 5 of Pancharatnam:

He, who with Heart to you surrendered,
Beholds for ever you alone,
Sees all this as forms of You
And loves and serves them as none other
Than the Self, O Aruna Hill,
Triumphs because he is immersed
In you whose being is pure Bliss.

This reminds me of the famous line “Yo mam pasyati sarvatra sarvam ca mayi pasyati” of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita. In this context, I feel it appropriate and worth citing the following two Verses from the Srimad Bhagavad Gita, which are considered very important from metaphysical, ethical and psychological points of view.

Sarva-bhuta atmanam sarva-bhutani c’atmani /
Ikste yoga-yukt’atma sarvatra sama-darsanah //
The man of spiritual insight, established in same-sightedness, sees the Self as residing in all beings and all beings as resting in the Self.
                                                                           V. 6-29,  Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Yo ama pasyati sarvatra sarvam ca mayi pasyati /
Tasy’aham na pranasyami sa ca me na pranasyati //
He who sees Me in all beings, and all beings in Me—to him I am never lost, nor he to Me.
                                                                            V. 6-30, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

“Established in the unity of all existence, a yogin who serves Me present in all beings, verily abides in Me, whatever be his mode of life.”
                                                                            V. 6-31, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear sir,

In V. 29, the Yogi is said to see the Self in all beings all beings in the Self. Metaphysically, the Verse reiterates and asserts the unity of all existence in One, that is the Self. It asserts and emphasises the Upanishadic Dictum that ‘All is Self, All is Brahman’. The above three Verses also emphasise clearly the intimate relationship between the Self and the individual Self. In the next Verse, i.e., V. 30, the Self is substituted by ‘I’, the Supreme Lord, thus indicating the basic unity between both. Ethically, the above cited Verses are said to teach  the most fundamental and universal principle of ethics. TO DO AND FEEL TOWARDS OTHERS’ SELVES AS FOR ONE’S OWN SELF, IS THE HIGHEST PRINCIPLE OF ETHICS. This exactly is the implication of saying ‘seeing the Self in all beings and all beings in the Self’. The above cited Verses from the Gita are considered very important from the point of view of Psychology also. How ? When one sees the same Self in all beings, his self-centredness will go away. It may then lead to an all-encompassing extension of the subjective consciousness, which is at present turned to second and third persons, proving them unsubstantial, JUST AS THE SUBSTANTIALITY OF A TREE SUBORDINATES ITS SHADOW. The above Verses also imply establishment in a state of Bliss which is a matter of experience.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 29, 2011, 11:35:44 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhawan has said that it does not matter if many thoughts keep coming up during Enquiry. We are not supposed to develop and flow with the thoughts. Instead, Sri Bhagwan teaches, if one enquires into their origin or seeks to find out who has these thoughts, flow of thoughts first becomes laminar from being turbulent and then sooner or later will stop.
Sri Bhagwan often used the analogy of a besieged fort while speaking about checking the thoughts. How a fort is besieged ? All the possible entrances to a fort to be besieged are systematically closed off. The occupants of the fort then are picked and slain, one by one, as they emerge from the fort. If the siege is laid for adequate time, sooner or later, the fort is empty and falls into the hands of the invading army. Ego-mind is like a fort with its own virtually impregnable defence mechanism and therefore the same tactics must be applied to the mind also. How the intangible mind is to be successfully besieged ? ENTRANCES AND EXITS TO THE MIND SHOULD BE SEALED OFF BY NOT REACTING TO THE RISING THOUGHTS AND SENSE IMPRESSIONS. New concepts and ideas should not be allowed to be formed. Mind should not be fed by judgements, such as, likes and dislikes. And then keeping the vigil cuttingly, rising thoughts should not be allowed to escape the attention and flourish. Having besieged the mind thus, each thought should be challenged as it rises or appears by asking, ‘Whence is this thought?’, or ‘To whom has this thought come?’ If we can bring ourselves to do that continuously, while remaining fully attentive, new thoughts may keep on appearing but will soon disappear without leaving their impression in the mind. If we can maintain the siege of the mind in this manner for sufficientlym a long time, there will certainly come a time when flow of thoughts will stop, and if they do, they will be merely fleeting, undistracting and harmless images on the periphery of the Consciousness. IN THAT STATE FREE FROM THE THOUGHTS, WE BEGIN TO EXPERIENCE OURSELVES AS THE BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS, AND NOT AS THE MIND OR THE BODY THAT WE ARE ACCUSTOMED TO FROM THE TIME IMMEMORIAL.
However, one need not be complacent. For if we relax our vigilance even a little or for even a few moments, new thoughts will rise escaping our attention and start developing and flourishing unchallenged. If we do not remain steadfastly vigilant, siege will be lifted and the mind will regain some or all of its former strength and habits to graze on the field of second and third persons.

How do the occupants of a besieged fort survive the besiege ? They can hold out during a siege if only continuous supply of food and water is assured to the occupants. However, when the supply runs out, they must surrender or get slain by the besieging soldiers. IN THE MIND-FORT, THOUGHTS ARE THE OCCUPANTS, AND THE SUPPLY IS THE ATTENTION OF THE THINKER. IF THE THINKER DOES NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE RISING THOUGHTS AND INDULGE IN THEM, IF THE THINKER WITHHOLDS HIS ATTENTION FROM THE RISING THOUGHTS, AND INSTEAD CHALLENGES THEM BEFORE THEY HAVE OPPORTUNITY TO CAUSE MISCHIEF, THE THOUGHTS WILL DIE FOR WANT OF ATTENTION, OF STARVATION. So, we challenge thoughts by repeatedly asking ‘Who am I?’ before the rising thought has had an opportunity to develop into a stream of thoughts.

Dear devotees, we are aware, due to Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, that ‘I’-thought is the primal thought which arises from the Self. Thinker himself is sustained by the thoughts. If we eliminate all thoughts by ceaseless Enquiry and by refusing to pay attention to them, the ‘I’-thought itself sinks and merges into the Self. This is possible only if the ‘I’-thought has ceased to identify with the rising thoughts. For if the attention is still attracted or evaded by some stray thoughts, due to lack of vigilance, the danger of the attention getting directed outwards rather than inward will remain. Therefore, we must cease to identify ourselves with or be interested in the rising thoughts.

Thank You,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »

Dear Anil,

There are two ways. One is what Sri Bhagavan has said in  Who am I?  As and when thoughts
arise, find out to whom is this thought, then the thought will vanish and mind will come back to its
source. One can,  if the thoughts are not too many, kill these thoughts one by one.

Another method is to attend to the source of thought, within,  Let thoughts come and go.
Do not care for them. Be in-turned and seek the Self. The thoughts do not matter.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 29, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »
“Another method is to attend to the source of thought, within, Let thoughts come and go.
Do not care for them. Be in-turned and seek the Self. The thoughts do not matter.”
                                                                                   Sri Subramanian Sir
“Sri Annamalai Swami says :
“BE CONSCIOUS OF YOURSELF AS CONSCIOUSNESS ALONE, WATCH ALL THE THOUGHTS COME AND GO. COME TO THE CONCLUSION, BY DIRECT EXPERIENCE, THAT YOU ARE REALLY CONSCIOUSNESS ITSELF, NOT ITS EPHEMERAL CONTENTS.”
Living by the Words of Bhagwan

This, indeed, is a great Teaching. Clouds come and go but the sky is not affected by the appearance and disappearance of the clouds. OUR REAL NATURE IS LIKE THE SKY, LIKE SPACE, MERE PURE ILLUMINATION. THEREFORE, WE SHOUD REMAIN LIKE THE SKY, THAT IS, AS THE MERE PRESENCE, MERE ILLUMINATION, AND WATCH THE THOUGHTS COME AND GO. If this attitude of indifference is cultivated consciously towards the mind, we will gradually cease to identify ourselves with the mind.”
                                                                                 Quoted from my post, re. 1511

The other method of ‘attending to the source and watching the thoughts come and go’ has already been discussed, in some detail, fairly recently, under this topics. In this context, Sri Bhagwan says that one need not go on rejecting thoughts. If one clings to oneself, that is, to the ‘I’-thought, it is enough. Sri Bhagwan teaches :
“See to whom are the changing thoughts ?”
“They will be found to arise after the ‘I’-thought.”
“Hold the ‘I’-thought.”
“Thoughts subside.”
“Track back the source of the ‘I’-thought.”
“Self alone will remain.”

What the above means is that if one can pay attention to and hold the ‘I’-thought, other thoughts will vanish. Therefore, if one, with full attention, holds the ‘I’-thought and keenly seeks the source, other thoughts automatically get rejected and they vanish. Besides, if one holds oneself or the ‘I’-thought sternly and watches the other thoughts come and go, without reacting to them, other thoughts are certain to die down for want of attention of the thinker. And ultimately, ‘I’-thought merges into the Heart. The Self alone will remain.
We are always the Self, and nothing else. Sri Bhagwan says beautifully, “Be the Self, be that ‘I’, it is the Direct Method”.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:13 AM »
Dear Devotees,

God’s Will alone always prevails. God’s Will prevails through the free-will of the jivas (creatures). Sri Bhagwan says that everything is predetermined and that the body comes into existence for doing the various works marked out for execution in the present life. The whole programme is chalked out. “An atom does not move except by His Will.” Therefore, the work meant to be done, according to the destiny or karma or divine plan, by us, will be done by us.

The Verse-27, Srimad Bhagavad Gita says, “Everywhere the Gunas or dispositions of Nature performs all works. But deluded by egoism, man thinks, ‘I am the doer’”. Again the Verse-33 says, “It is natural for each organ to feel attraction or aversion in respect of objects pertaining to each sense. Do not come under their sway for they are the enemy of the spiritual aspirants”. Sri Bhagwan, while commenting on the above Verse, says that it only means that actions will go on, according to the Gunas or prakriti of the man. They cannot be prevented. Sri Bhagwan says that is the very reason why man should acquire Jnana and thus remain unaffected by the consequences of such actions.       

Dear devotees, we cannot change what is destined to happen. Although we think that we desire, we act appropriately to fulfil that desire, and thus we ensure its fulfilment. But this view is erroneous. FOR OUR DESIRES WILL ALWAYS CONFORM TO THAT WHICH IS DETERMINED BY GOD’S WILL. So, whether we like it or not, the only course open to us to be free from joys and pains and pleasures and sorrows, resulting from our actions, is not to identify ourselves with the body or that which works.

We are the Consciousness. Consciousness is infinite and ever free. Therefore, we are ever free, and Sri Bhagwan says, there is no limit to that freedom. If aim is the Self-realisation, wisdom lies in accepting patiently both joys and sorrows with equanimity and remaining in the Self by asking “To whom these joys and sorrows ? Who am I?” and doing whatever works one happens to be engaged in without seeking fruits of the works, that is, remaining unattached.

Thank You,
     Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 30, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »
Salutations to Sri Ramana Maharshi, the Sage divine,
now dwelling on earth as Knowledge Incarnate, the
Radiance from whose face dispels the darkness of
ignorance in his devotees’ mind.
                              V.1, A Hymn to Sri Ramana, Golden Jubillee Souvenir

He speaks not yet He teaches the highest good. He
looks not, yet He points the Path. He toils not, yet
He fulfils the highest beneficence. How wonderful are the
ways of Sri Ramana !
                             V. 3, A Hymn to Sri Ramana, Golden Jubilee Souvenir

By Raman’s Grace, the fool turns wise; the wicked
walk in the path of virtue; and even sunken swim
ashore.
                               V. 4, A Hymn to Sri Ramana , Golden Jubilee Souvenir 

Thank You,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 30, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

Dear Anil,
This is from Malladi Suryanarayana Sastri.  It is a beautiful hymn.

There is also one Sri Ramana Stavam, by Swami  Sundarananda.
I met this gentleman, who is now about 90 years old. He came to
be attracted to Sri Bhagavan only after His Maha nirvana. But he
stood to his ground and placed continued faith in Sri Bhagavan. He
now lives in a room given by the Asramam by Korangu Thottam and
attends all the daily routine pujas of the Asramam.  He has also written
a Tamizh commentary on Siva Sahasranamam, Linga Puranam recension
and he is supplying this book free of cost.

Arunachala Siva/ 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 30, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir, for posting important information about the cited verses in my last post. Sri Sastri’s Hymn is very beautiful. But, nevertheless, see the beauty of the play of Love and Grace in the following Verses.

O Aruna Hill, embodied love, loveless I was
And yet you chose to claim me as your own….
If now you fail to fill me with love and if you let
Me perish in a loveless state, would it be fair?
O joy which is my refuse, your will is mine. Here in
This surrender, is pure joy, Lord of my life.
                                                         Sri Bhagwan

If I died while yet clinging
To your feet, it would be a standing pillar of
Disgrace for you, O blazing light of Aruna Hill, expanse
Of grace more subtler than ether.
                                                        Sri Bhagwan

Gratitude for Grace and Love showered and plaintive prayer to fulfil the longing
for overflowing Oneness in the heart.

Dear sir, can you  point out the original source of the cited Verses ?

Regards,
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 01, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
“Who is that "I" who does not do meditation? Who is the "I": who does not have undisturbed current
of meditation. Who is the "I" who wants to say that he is not going get liberated. Who is the "I"
who wants to get back to his home country? Who are all these "I"s? He gazed at Chadwick.
Chadwick understood and then went away.

It is the I that retards our progress. It is the I that discourages. If this "I" is killed one would surely
succeed.”  ( Quote: Sri Subramanian sir, re-1506)

Discussion on ‘killing of the ego’ prompts me to reiterate Sri Bhagwan’s Words that ego or the mind cannot kill itself. Asking to kill itself is akin to the thief pretending to be the policeman trying to catch the thief which he himself verily is.

Sri Bhagwan says that the question as to how the ego should be destroyed is a sure way to cherish the ego and not to kill it. The ego can never agree to kill itself.  Our task is to find the real nature of the ego-mind. When the Self is sought, mind vanishes and one knows that there is no mind. Therefore, the proper way to destroy the ego is to seek its source. Then Sri Bhagwan says that it will be found that it does not exist.

Sri Bhagwan Himself has narrated a very funny but apt story in this connection which actually happened when He was living in the West Chitrai Street in Madura. The story is as follows :

A neighbour in an adjoining house anticipated the visit of a thief to his house. He took precautions to catch him. He posted policeman in mufti to guard the two ends of the lane, the entrance and the back-door to his own house. The thief came as expected and the men rushed to catch him. The thief took in the situation at once at a glance and sensing the trap laid, he started shouting, “Hold him, hold him. There—he runs—there—there.” Saying so the thief made good his escape.

Sri Bhagwan says that similar is the case with the ego. If one looks for the ego, it will not be found. That is the way to get rid of it. 

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:33 AM »
Dear Devotees,

That “work will suffer, if one constantly remains engaged in Enquiry” is an alibi or an excuse, which is the part of the impregnable and fort-like defence mechanism of the ego. This can be shown by the discussion as follows :

The enquirer is the aspirant and not the Jnani. Enquiry itself signifies that enquirer considers himself separate from the Enquiry. ‘SO LONG AS THERE IS DUALITY, ENQUIRY SHOULD BE PURSUED.’ Therefore, it follows that the enquirer is aware of his individuality and this Enquiry is not interfering with the awareness of his own individuality. Moreover, external works do not also stand in the way of his individual awareness. So, Sri Bhagwan says in one of the ‘Talks’ (I do not exactly remember the number), the question is if the work, which is seemingly external to one’s individuality, does not obstruct individual awareness, how will the work which is understood to be not separate from the Self, obstruct the uninterrupted Awareness of the Self ? Self is One without a second and is not an individual separate from the work. Therefore, lament that Enquiry will suffer on account of work, or work will suffer on account of Enquiry, is a mere pretension and a thought which we must overcome by Enquiry ITSELF.

Thank You,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 01, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Work and self inquiry can go hand in hand.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 01, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
well said Subramanian garu.