Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759419 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1440 on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
“On achieving this one would realize that Swarupam is
the world, Swarupam is the jiva and Swarupam is Siva. All are
Siva Swarupam.”

Dear Sri Subramanain Sir,

Ji. Yes. Very nice. Thank you so much, sir. I see it other way round thus:

We are, in essence, indivisible, unlimited Whole, the Self. But so long as one is not realised, one  mistakes the limited body-mind complex to be oneself, and as a consequence of this ignorance, regards the remaining unlimited Self to be the world consisting of myriad second and third persons objects, and, of course God and gods ! But after Self-realisation, Truth dawns and one discovers that one is not a limited body-mind individual but unlimited Whole, the Self. Then one also discovers that all the second and third person objects which hither to one felt to be other than oneself, are truly nothing but one’s own Self. Then only one realises that one’s own True Atma-Swarupa is ALL there is, all is Shiva Swarupam. Therefore, a Self-realised Jnani, even while He is attending to the world, teaching His Devotees, that is, seemingly attending to second and third person objects, He is, from His own standpoint, all the time attending only to the Self. ALTHOUGH HE MAY APPEAR TO BE ENGAGED IN MANY WORLDLY ACTIVITIES, IN TRUTH, HE IS EVER ABIDING IN THE NATURAL STATE. A SELF-REALISED JNANI ALONE CAN BE IN A STATE OF UNCEASING SELF-ATTENTION and not the sadhaks or the seekers.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 19, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
Dear Devotees,
As you may be aware by now, almost whole of North India was rocked by seismic tremor of the intensity of 6.8 on the Ritcher scale, at about 6.15 p.m., yesterday evening. The building I lived in, in Bhagalpur, Bihar, trembled, but by Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, I came out of the building unscathed.

Thank You,
    Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri T.K. Sundaresa Iyer narrates Sri Bhagwan’s exposition in Silence of the verses in praise of Sri Dakshinamurti thus :

On a Sivaratri day, after dinner, Sri Bhagwan was reclining on the sofa surrounded by many devotees. A sadhu suggested that, since this was the most auspicious night, the meaning of the verses in praise of Sri Dakshinamurti should be made clear. Sri Bhagwan  gave His approval and all were eagerly waiting for Him to say something. He simply sat, gazing at us. We are gradually absorbed in ever deepening Silence, which was not disturbed even by the clock striking the hour, hour after hour, until 4 a.m. None moved and talked. Time and space ceased to exist. Sri Bhagwan’s Grace kept us in Peace and Silence for seven hours. In this Silence, Sri Bhagwan taught us the Ultimate, like Sri Dakshinamurti. At the stroke of four, Sri Bhagwan asked us whether we had understood the meaning of Silent Teaching. Like waves on the infinite ocean of Bliss, we all fell at Sri Bhagwan’s Feet.
                                                                                                                             Source: Ramana Smrti

Sri Somerset Maugham, the famous and well known English author, came to Sri Ramanasramam to meet Sri Bhagwan. He also went to see Maj. Sri Chadwick in his room. But unfortunately, he suddenly became unconscious there, probably due to heat. Sri Chadwick arranged a comfortable bed for him in his room and requested Sri Bhagwan to see him.  Sri Bhagwan went into the room to see Sri Maugham, took a seat and  gazed on the author. Sri Maugham after some time regained his senses and saluted Sri Bhagwan. They sat facing each other, in Silence. They just looked at each other silently for about an hour. The author attempted to ask questions but couldn’t speak. When Sri Bhagwan got up, Sri Chadwick asked Sri Maugham whether he would like to ask anything. “What is there to speak about?” replied Sri Maugham. “Yes. All finished. Heart-talk is all talk. All talk must end in Silence only. There is no need for words,” Said Sri Bhagwan. They all smiled. Sri Bhagwan then returned to the Hall. Sri Maugham too soon departed.
                                                                                                                         Source: Talk—550       

Sri Bhagwan is reported to have given the same reply to Sri Rajendra Prasad, the Late President of India, when he and Sri Jamanalal Bajaj, both then great leaders of the freedom movement, were on a visit to Sri Ramanasramam, on the advice of Mahatma Gandhi. When Sri Prasad prayed to Sri Bhagwan to utter a message to be conveyed to Sri Gandhi Ji, Sri Bhagwan is said to have uttered,  “When there is Heart-contact, there is no use for spoken words.”  Silence of the Self is the unbroken, perennial  exposition of Truth.

Thank You,
   Anil       

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 19, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
Apparently, Bhagavan speaks when you talk to him. As Sadhaks, we all do feel low often due to the burden of Samsara and at times and I often resort to Bhagavan (his photograph) and talk to him about my confusions in handling the situations and I mean literally talk to Bhagavan just like how we talk to others, He also responds in the language of silence as you have mentioned Bhagavan's words -

"When there is Heart-contact, there is no use for spoken words"

In the end the situations are taken care by themselves. He makes you stay "Summa Iru" He forcefully makes ones outgoing mind inward and is rested and that Karma is taken care by itself instead of us dabbling with the situations and complicate and increase the karmas further!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:26:09 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 19, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »

Dear Anil,

I am happy that you have escaped the wrath of earthquake with
Sri Bhagavan's Grace. Silence is an uninterrupted speech - says
Sri Bhagavan in one of His conversations.

Yes. As Nagaraj said, we can always submit our problems, pains
and miseries to Sri Bhagavan. He listens to them in Silence and removes
them to the extent of our faith in Him.

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam: Thaayai mulai tharuvone,
Thaara thozhindhaal savalaiyai nayen kidanthu naliveno.... Like mother
who gives her breast knowing the baby's hunger, you give me grace
and if you don't give me, I shall suffer like a savalai baby.

Savalai baby - In the olden days, a mother would get a second child
within 15 to 16 months of the first baby's birth. The first baby is called
savalai. Because it does not get milk, due to the birth of a younger
sibling.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 20, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Nagaraj,

Ji, yes, I escaped unhurt from the third floor of an unsafe building due to Sri Bhagwan’s Grace. Thank you much, sir.

Sri Bgawan is the Light Eternal, the Light Supreme. He was not the body then, He is not the body now.  His photographs, therefore, are the depiction of the Pure Light of the Silence of the Self.

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, yes, you have beautifully said that. When one conveys one’s woes, invoking His Presence, His response in the language of Silence is immediate and automatic, and solutions are invariably at hand. I have to say that if one has faith, he even need not talk to His photographs as one talks to somebody though these live photographs radiate God terrifically. If one is traversing either on the Path of Vichara or Surrender, it is, in my view, enough to keep on transferring the physical and metal obstacles and problems to His care and get along the chosen Path. After all, He alone is the Ordainer and Sustainer of the fate of souls and the world and Beyond as well. He knows our petty minds and is aware of out petty problems and needs. THEREFORE, WE NEED TO MOVE ON, WITH CONSTANTLY MAINTAINING THE HEART-CONTACT, SURRENDERING PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS AS WELL AS JOYS AND SORROWS TO THE FEET OF THE SADGURU. In my view, that is the only wise course for the devotees. For, what is to happen will happen anyway. Sri Bhagwan says that if one surrenders completely, it may cause a review of the prarabdha, and problems are His, and on longer his.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »
“Neither the sun shines there, nor the moon, nor the stars, nor lightening. How can fire shine there ? All these luminaries shine in His Light only. With His Light, all these shine forth !”
                             (Source of the Verse is not known to me.)

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that there is only He. He and His Light are the same. In the Pure Being there is no individual to perceive other things. In our Atma-swarupa, the perceiver as well as the perceived are He only.
How do the sun, moon and everything else shine ? It is very important to understand that they do not themselves say that they shine forth. Who says that they shine forth ? We say so. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that they shine forth because of us.  Consciousness is necessary to know that they shine forth. THAT CONSCIOUSNESS IS OUR SELF, WE. Now, we turn to the quoted lines ‘With His Light all these shine forth.’ But here we derived that consciousness necessary to know that they shine forth is our Self, We. THEREFORE, IT FOLLOWS THAT OUR CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE SAME AS HE AND HIS LIGHT BY WHICH ALL ELSE SHINE FORTH AND THAT THE OBJECTIVE WORLD IS WITHIN THE SUBJECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS.

Dear devotees, his Light should not be mistaken with the ordinary light such as the sunlight, etc. Sunlight and all other ordinary light are insentient. These lights remove darkness and make objects perceptible. Sri Bhagwan says that it is the Light of Consciousness which makes not only insentient lights perceptible, but also the darkness.  Pure Consciousness is Pure Knowledge in which both knowledge and ignorance shine.
Therefore, Consciousness alone is the support of the world and phenomena as well as of knowledge  and ignorance.

“The world shines through your existence, but your being does not depend on the existence of the world.”
                                      V. 61, P. 93, Padamalai

So, we must realise by Vichara that our being is Pure Being—Existence itself.  Self is the only True Life and True Existence.

Thank You,
    Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »

Dear Anil,

The quote from you is from Katha Upanishad, 5.15.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
“The quote from you is from Katha Upanishad, 5.15.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I never studied the Upanishads systematically. Before I came to Sri Bhagwan (Or Sri Bhagwan Himself came to me ? I do not know.), I only often used to read the  Srimad Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana , the Mahabharata, etc., besides the thinkers and philosophers from the east and the west. However, whenever I chanced to see quotes or extracts from the Upanishads and other sacred scriptures, and in which I was able to sense that they contained wisdom, I used to promptly copy them down in either my note book or in the diary. This habit continues but with a difference that now the quotes copied are from Sri Bhagwan’s books only. I even hardly maintained properly the source from where they were quoted. So, when I tried to find the source of the mentioned quote before typing and posting it at the top of my post, re-1486, under this topic, I couldn’t find it.

Dear sir, you have mentioned No. 5.15 from the Katha Upanishad for the quoted Mantra in my post. But as I gather, there are only two chapters in the said sacred Upanishad and each chapter contains three sub-chapters (Valli). So, when I tried to see the Mantra and its context, I couldn’t find it in the Katha Upanishad. So, kindly enlighten.

Similarly, long ago I noted in my note book the following Mantra:

“O Sun of effulgent glory ! But I am he who maketh thee what thou art.” I tried to find the source, but I couldn’t.

There are many more. For instance, I have been looking for the exact source of the famous Upanishadic Teaching :
“From the Fullness when the Full is taken, the Full remains.”

So, if possible, please give the exact source of the above Mantras as well.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 20, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »

Dear Anil,

It appears only in Katha Upanishad. But the number of the sloka has
been given incorrectly by me. The correct number is II.ii.15.

There the sun does not shine, neither do the moon and the stars;
nor do these flashes of lightning shine, How can this fire? He shining,
all these shine; through his lustre, all these are variously illumined.

The valli classification comes under Taittiriya Upanishad. This upanishad
has got Bhrigu Valli, Siksha Valli and Ananda Valli. The Mahanarayana
Upanishad is sometimes added with this Upanishad and this is called
Maha Narayana Valli.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
‘There the sun does not shine, neither do the moon and the stars;
nor do these flashes of lightning shine, How can this fire? He shining,
all these shine; through his lustre, all these are variously illumined.

The valli classification comes under Taittiriya Upanishad. This upanishad
has got Bhrigu Valli, Siksha Valli and Ananda Valli. The Mahanarayana
Upanishad is sometimes added with this Upanishad and this is called
Maha Narayana Valli.”

Ji. Yes. I found the Verse 15 in the second Valli of the second chapter in the Katha Upanishad. Katha Upanishad is a dialogue between Nachiketa and Yama. Yama replies, ‘There the sun shines not, neither……….variously illumined” to the question raised by Nachiketa as to how ‘Parmananda Swarupa’ Lord is comprehended—whether He is directly known or indirectly experienced.

I know that there are more than one hundred Upanishads in existence. But of them, only 11 Upanishads, perhaps, are regarded as the main and important Upanishads. Yes, I found named Valli classification only in the Taittiriya Upanishad. But in the version of the Katha Upanishad that I have both chapters of the Katha Upanishad have been classified in valli, three in each chapter, as first Vall, second Valli….

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 21, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Some time back, we discussed under this topic that the ‘Senani’ is one of the 108 Names of Sri Bhagwan (Sri Ramana Ashottarm). He is truly the Commander-in –Chief of the battle royal in the battle ground of the mind. My submission is that Sri Bhagwan is the Absolute Spiritual Doctor as well. He has diagnosed, with pin-point accuracy, the exact cause of mankind’s suffering and ailments. HE HAS PRESCRIBED THE PERFECT COURSE OF THE TREATMENT ALSO, THAT IS, MEDICINE OF SELF-ENQUIRY OR SELF-ATTENTION. AND AS FOOD REGIME, HE HAS PRESCRIBED TO ABSTAIN FROM ATTENDING TO SECOND AND THIRD PERSON OBJECTS AND THOUGHTS.

Sri Bhagwan says in the V. 44 of the Aksharamanamalai :
“Turning Self wards, daily see thyself with an introverted look, then It  (Reality)will be known.” Thus didst Thou direct me, beloved Arunachala !

Dear devotees, I am aware that in the beginning, one may not be able to maintain unbroken Self-attention even for a little while, say a few minutes. It is necessary to practice it daily, as Sri Bhagwan says, whenever one feels like it, for some time, so that one becomes more and more familiar with the Self-attention. Therefore, whenever one finds that it is possible to shift attention to first person from the second and third persons, even in midst of one’s daily activities, and whenever one has some free time between the end of one activity and the beginning of the other activity, one should, without hesitation and doubt, at once, resort to Self-attention and, experience for oneself, first hand, its benefits.  If one cultivates this inclination to turn one’s attention to the first person whenever one has some conducive moments of time at his disposal, by the end of the day, one finds that a great deal of time has been devoted to the practice of the Self-attention, though intermittently. Dear devotees, there is no doubt that even such intermittent practice of the self-attention goes a long way,  and will be found to be of great help when one sits for formal practice at the self-prescribed time, for say half an hour or so, every morning and evening, when there is no external obstacles to one’s sadhana.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that it is only natural due to age-old habits that one’s attention will turn to the second and third persons. Each time the attention thus is turned away, one should invariably, with conscious effort, try to turn it back towards the first person.  So this practice of regaining the Self-attention, every time it is diverted or slackened, should be repeated again and again. HEREIN LIES THE IMPORTANCE OF SRI BHAGWAN’S STATEMENT THAT ONE MUST LOVE THE SELF IF ONE WANTS TO KNOW THE SELF. For, if one really loves the Self, the frequency of slackening the Self-attention will certainly be gradually less and less. For, what is important is not only so much the length of time of trying to maintain the Self-attention thus, but the real earnestness of purpose and intensity with which each fresh attempt is made after its every slackening. (To continue)

Thank You,
   Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 21, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. To remain still with inturned mind is the most difficult one due to
age old habits.  Sri Bhagavan Himself says that He only should guard
me against such habits.

Verse 11 of AAMM: When those robbers, the five senses, enter my
mind, are You not present there at home [Heart] to keep them out?
O Arunachala!

Verse 14: Like Siva was gracious to old Avvai, [A Tamizh poetess] or
to my mother or to Goddess Uma, to me too you are bound to be gracious.
O Arunachala, and me too you should govern { I am like Avvai}.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 21, 2011, 03:14:35 PM »
“To remain still with inturned mind is the most difficult one due to
age old habits. Sri Bhagavan Himself says that He only should guard
me against such habits.

Verse 11 of AAMM: When those robbers, the five senses, enter my
mind, are You not present there at home [Heart] to keep them out?
O Arunachala!”

“Even when the thieves of the five senses break in upon me, art Thou still not present in my Heart, Oh Arunachala !” Yes. He is present. He is the true import of the first person. Sri Arunachala, our True Self, is ever shining as the Truth of ‘I’. Therefore, it follows that paying attention to the Self is alone the true seeking of Sri Arnachala. Self is the Heart. Self is God. So, the Self-attention is truly the attention to God.

Dear sir, our power of attention is the reflection of the ‘Knowing Power’ of the Consciousness, that is, the Self itself. The Self alone is verily our own Reality. Therefore, very nature of our attention itself is Grace. Sri Sadhu Om Swamigal terms our power of the attention as the ‘glance of Grace’. When we pay attention to a certain object, it is nourished and our knowledge about it will flourish because it is thus blessed by the Grace. When we pay attention to second and third person objects, both the strength to attend to those objects as well as the ignorance are certain to grow and will never come to an end. If we pay attention to the contents of the mind which consists of second and third person thoughts, thoughts will be nourished and will multiply, further weakening the mind. On the contrary, if we pay attention to ourselves and ourselves alone, our knowledge about our own existence will get enhanced.

Dear sir, one more thing I wish to add at this point. LOVING OURSELVES IS INNATE AND INHERENT IN ALL OF US. In sleep we are easily, of its own accord, get separated from the ego-body-mind complex proving that remaining as Self alone is also inherent in us. The knowledge that we exist in all the three states of waking, dream and sleep is inherent in us too. For, even in pitch darkness we are aware of our existence and we know that we exist. Same cannot be said of the second and third person objects. We can neither see them nor can be aware of their existence  in pitch darkness. From this discussion it also follows that our knowledge about our own existence is innate and inherent in all of us.

Path of Self-enquiry or Self-attention has the ability to strengthen even the weak mind. If one takes up to practice Self-attention as taught by Sri Bhagwan, it is bound to result in introversion of the mind sooner than later. Therefore, it is far better to give chain (first person attention) to the trunk of the elephant than allowing it to fling undesirably hither and thither (at second and third person objects).

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 21, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »

Dear Anil.

Yes.

Perseverance and practice helps introversion.

Arunachala Siva.