Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758660 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1395 on: September 08, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »

Dear Anil,

Guru Ucchishtam literally means what is left by Guru. This mostly refers
to the left over of the food on the leaf where the Guru had already finished
his meals.  It may also mean his teachings, his way of life, his compassion
towards devotees etc., left behind as a memory to the disciples.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »
Guru Ucchishtam literally means what is left by Guru. This mostly refers
to the left over of the food on the leaf where the Guru had already finished
his meals. It may also mean his teachings, his way of life, his compassion
towards devotees etc., left behind as a memory to the disciples.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

So, ‘Uchishtam’ is generally referred to the remaining portion of the sacred food left over by the Guru and given to the disciple as a sign of Guru’s Blessing and Grace. However, Sri Muruganar says in V. 301 of the GVK that the right manner of partaking of the Guru’Uchishtam is for the disciple to silently abide in the Self.

“The uchishtam given by the Guru to the disciple is the enlightening words of instruction, coming from His own Self-Realisation; the right manner of partaking of His uchishtam is for the disciple to silently abide in Self, as soon as he hears them.”
                                      V. 301, GVK, Tr. and Com. Sri Sadhu Om

Dear sir, I am also aware that Sri Bhagwan Himself did not like His devotees scrambling for His left over food. In stead, He said that the devotees should follow Guru’s Teaching and instructions steadfastly and unwaveringly so that they become fit channel for the free flow of His Grace and Blessing.

“After offering the ego—the attachment to the body as ‘I’—as food to the Supreme Whole—the Silent Guru—the attainment, by the disciple, of Self, which remains shining in the heart is the eating of the Guru’s uchishtam.”
                                      V. 302, GVK, Tr.and Com. Sri Sadhu Om

Dear sir, in my view, there can be no better insight into the Guru’s Uchistam than the above cited Verse of the GVK. You yourself have explained that Guru’s Uchishtam  literally means ‘left by the Guru’. ‘I am the body’ or ‘I am so and so’ is the ego. But when the ego is surrendered as food to the Silent Guru who is the SUPREME WHOLE, only ‘so and so’ or the attachment to the body is removed. So, ‘Body’ or ‘so and so’ is gone. What is left by the Guru is mere ‘I am’. WHAT THEN REMAINS IS ‘I AM’ OR THE SELF—SAT-CHIT- ANANDA- OUR ‘ATMA-SWAREUPA’ WHICH CAN NEVER BE OFFERED OR TAKEN.

This, indeed, is the most appropriate and most enlightening words on the Guru’s Uchishtam to which all devotees of Sri Bhagwan must adhere.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 09, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »

Dear Anil,

In which case, one has to take, as Muruganar says, the teachings of
Sri Bhagavan as His ucchishtam. His teaching is simply:  "Abide in the
Self."

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 09, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
In which case, one has to take, as Muruganar says, the teachings of
Sri Bhagavan as His ucchishtam. His teaching is simply: "Abide in the
Self."

Now that Sri Bhagwan has shed the body, His teaching and instructions are certainly the Guru’s Uchishtam for His devotees. Sri Bhagwan says in V. 28 of the Aksharmanamalai :
“I came to feed on Thee, but Thou hast fed on me; now there is peace, Oh Arunachala !”

Dear sir, this is the Peace or Bliss of Supreme Liberation. When ‘so-and –so’ or ‘body’ is taken away, what remains is mere ‘I am’. So-and-so or ’the body’ has been consumed by the Guru, ‘I am’ remains which can neither be offered nor can be taken away. ‘I am’ is the Self.

Realisation of the Self is only letting go the non-Self. Therefore, what is to be brought about is not the Self-Realisation, but realisation of our false thinking or imagining that we are the bodies. So, striving and doing away for once and all with the non-Self and ‘so-and-so’ either by Vichara or Surrender as enjoined by Sri Bhagwan and abiding in “I AM” is now the Real Guru’s Uchishtam for the devotees of Bhagwan Sri Ramana.  HE HIMSELF HAS ASSURED HIS ADORING DEVOTEES THAT HE IS WAITING IN THE HEART AS THEiR VERY SELF.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 09, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »

Dear Anil,

In fact even during His life in the body. Sri Bhagavan never encouraged
the left overs from His plate to be used or the same plate-leaf used
by some one else. This practice was going on for some time. Later,
the devotees also used to take the left over water in the tumbler by
Him.  One day,  Sri Bhagavan found it out and He started removing His
own leaf plates and also did not keep any water in the tumbler, by drinking
everything!

When Chinnaswami found out that Sri Bhagavan was talking His own
leaf plates after use, he became sad and made everyone to leave the plates
and servants were arranged to take them away for throwing them in
garbage bins.   

Ucchishtam therefore in real sense is only His teachings and His conduct in
life, which devotees should emulate.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 10, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
“Sri Ramana Maharshi is an Ideal held out before mankind because of His great depth of Peace, His intrepid flow of Power, His extraordinary development of dispassion, His melting love, His bright Wisdom which flashes over the encircling darkness of ignorance and His beatific life.”
                                                V. 40,Forty Verses In Praise Of Sri Ramana, Sri Ganapati Muni

In my view, by this episode Sri Bhagwan taught His devotees that Real Guru’s Uchishtam is His Teaching, His Instructions as well as His Conduct which they should follow and practice. EMBODIED OR DISEMBODIED MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AS SRI BHAGWN HIMSELF KEPT REMINDING THE DEVOTEES.  “Remember, wherever you go or stay Bhagwan is always with you, watching over you.” Therefore, devotees should have no doubt on His Presence.

“It is said by Sages that life on earth of a great Jnanai, who ever revels in Sat i.e., Self, is itself the supremely pure uchishtam of God, which will remove all the sins of the world.”
                                                          V. 303, GVK, Tr. and Com. Sri Sadhu Om

Sri Bhagwa often used to say that that mere Presence of a Jnani is the greatest service to the world that can be rendered by a man. Embodiment of Sri Arunachala as Guru Sri Ramana Bhagwan is, indeed, the Supremely Pure Uchishtam of Lord Sri Arunachaleshwara. Sri Muruganar says in the V. 303 of the GVK that His mere Existence on the earth is enough to remove all sins of the world. Even His Words, Teaching and instructions are not necessary.
Dear sir, I believe whole heartedly in Sri Muruganar’s assertion. FOR, I CAME TO SRI BHAGWAN ALONE. I KNEW ONLY HIS NAME. I DID NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIS TEACHING, INSTRUCTION AND HIS CONDUCT EXCEPT THAT HE UNDERSTANDS THE LANGUAGE OF THE BIRDS AND ANIMALS AND TALKS TO THEM.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »
Dear Devotees,

There is one flank of Sri Arunachala where the slope of the ascent to the Peak is said to be a steeper gradient, sheer. This Path to the Peak, however, does not have pleasant grooves to rest in on the way. Although there are no grooves on this Direct Path to the Peak, to compensate for this absence of resting grooves or plateaux, merit of the Path is that it is the only direct Path to the Peak and the Crest is visible throughout the ascent as well as from the ground itself.

So also, Sri Bhagwan taught the Direct Path to Sri Arunachala who is the Heart and the Self of all. There are no resting grooves, no stages on this Path. The Path is straight and a little sheer to start with. But the great solace is the Crest “I Am” is visible throughout the ascent and even from the ground meaning that the infallible scent of ‘I-Am-ness’ is available to the seekers from the very beginning.  Since the Self is ever the same, it does not admit of progress. The Self Itself ever remains in Realisation. Obstacles are only fleeting thoughts. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that progress on the Direct Path should be measured by the degree of removal of the obstacles to understanding that the Self is always realised. As seekers approach the Source, thoughts rise less and less. Clouds of thoughts get thinner and thinner and the Sun, that is, the Self, is revealed more and more clearly. And finally as one reaches the Source and abides in It, One realises the truth of the statement that all obstacles in fact are illusory. One then knows that primal Bliss is obscured by the non-existent, illusory non-Self. TO REALISE THIS STATE OF FREEDOM FROM DUALITY AND MISERY OF A WRETCHED BODY-MIND LIFE IS THE SUMMUM BONUM OF LIFE, WHICH IN TRUTH IS ETERNAL.

Dear devotees, there is one more thing about which we must be very clear. Although Sri Bhagwan says that the progress on the Path should be measured by removal of obstacles, it does not mean that one attains to any higher states along the way. On this Path, a seeker has either realised the Self or he has not.  However, it must be said that one may be blessed with glimpses of the Realisation, beyond all states, on the way, which will suffuse and beckon the seekers to ultimately reach, merge and abide in Itself.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has clarified both points emphatically that there are no stages in Realisation and that Realisation is usually not permanent when first attained except in very rare case, as in the case of Sri Bhagwan Himself.  A seeker may experience It in flashes occasionally but it can bestabilised and made permanent only when the inherent tendencies that impel  externalisation of the mind  have been eliminated altogether.

Thank You,
   Anil         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 10, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Arthur Osborne says this. The steep path has no groves to rest.
No place to sit. But if one could climb this with effort, he can reach
the summit through this direct path.  Sri Bhagavan's path is direct.
It 'appears' steep, because we are so much attuned to out-ward
looking mind. This age old habit, we should overcome. This is the only
steepness that we have to overcome.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 10, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »
Arthur Osborne says this. The steep path has no groves to rest.
No place to sit. But if one could climb this with effort, he can reach
the summit through this direct path. Sri Bhagavan's path is direct.
It 'appears' steep, because we are so much attuned to out-ward
looking mind. This age old habit, we should overcome. This is the only
steepness that we have to overcome.

Ji. Yes. I read about the steep Path to the Peak of Sri Arunachala in a book authored by Sri Arthur Osborne. He has mentioned that there are no grooves to rest on in this direct Path to the Peak. Coming to the Direct Path of Atma-Vichara, I should say that you have very appropriately remarked that the age old habit of the mind to look outwards is the only steepness that has to be overcome by the seekers of Truth. Inward-turned mind is what is required for the Atma-Vichara. Inwardness is the prerequisite and this is exactly what appears difficult to most of us in the beginning.
Having said this, I wish to add that with firm and steady determination on the part of the earnest seekers, this steepness of the Path can be overcome. This is the battle royal. We should have faith in Sri Bhagwan’s Grace particularly when one is trading the Path of Vichara. Without His Grace, it is not possible to achieve inwardness of the mind, for, thoughts keep on rising due to age old tendencies of the mind.

Sri A.R. Natarajan writes:
“Neither the Self-attention nor the journey inward can succeed without recognising that it is Ramana who is in command. ‘Senani’ is one of his attributes. It means Commander-in-Chief. The godly forces are under him in the battle against the mental demons of jealousy, hatred, anger, pessimism, negativism and the like. But this boss is made of different stuff. He does not demand our explicit obedience. He draws each person by his ‘extravagant grace’. He places us in his constant debt for where do we have the capacity to repay his munificence ?”
                                                   Ramana Maharshi, The Living Guru, P.61

Sri Natarajan adds that Sri Bhagwan has not only shown the wondrous path of Self-attention BUT IS THERE AT EVERY STEP WHEN WE FALTER, WHEN WE LOSE PATIENCE OR LOSE COURAGE. The best worship, therefore, to such a great Sage and the Guru, is to follow the Direct Path as taught by Him.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 10, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »

Dear Anil,

Senani is one of the 108 Names [Sri Ramana Ashottaram] composed
by Viswanatha Swami.  Senani means commander in chief. Senapati.
This refers to Subrahmanya.  In fact, there are several names in
Ashottaram where Viswanatha Swami equates Ramana with Muruga
or Subrahmanya.  This 107th Name calling him as Commander in
Chief is worth contemplating. Subrahmanya went with armies of Devas
to kill Asuras [demons] and their armies in Skandapuranam.  He kills
Surapadman, and his two brothers, who were ruling the three worlds.

Here, the term has got esoteric meaning. Where is Deva and where is
Asura today? All our bad vasanas are Asuras [asura sampath as
BG says] and all our good vasanas are Devas [Deva sampath as
BG says]. There is a constant war between these two in our mind.
Sri Bhagavan as the commander of Deva forces [good vasanas]
kill the Asrua forces [bad vasanas] in our minds and confer us shanti.
Shanti or peace is another name for Self Realization.  Thus Sri Bhagavan
Himself upon surrendering to Him, surely helps us to vanquish the asura
vasanas.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 11, 2011, 08:05:59 AM »
Senani is one of the 108 Names [Sri Ramana Ashottaram] composed
by Viswanatha Swami. Senani means commander in chief. Senapati.
This refers to Subrahmanya. In fact, there are several names in
Ashottaram where Viswanatha Swami equates Ramana with Muruga
or Subrahmanya. This 107th Name calling him as Commander in
Chief is worth contemplating. Subrahmanya went with armies of Devas
to kill Asuras [demons] and their armies in Skandapuranam. He kills
Surapadman, and his two brothers, who were ruling the three worlds.

Here, the term has got esoteric meaning. Where is Deva and where is
Asura today? All our bad vasanas are Asuras [asura sampath as
BG says] and all our good vasanas are Devas [Deva sampath as
BG says]. There is a constant war between these two in our mind.
Sri Bhagavan as the commander of Deva forces [good vasanas]
kill the Asrua forces [bad vasanas] in our minds and confer us shanti.
Shanti or peace is another name for Self Realization. Thus Sri Bhagavan
Himself upon surrendering to Him, surely helps us to vanquish the asura vasanas.

Thank you so much, sir, for pointing out that “Senani’ is the 107th Name of Sri Bhagwan in the ‘Sri Ramana Ashottaram’ composed by Sri Vishwanatha Swami. I saw this book in the Book-depot of the Ashram but somehow I missed to by it.

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan is truly the commander-in-Chief of the battle royal in the battle ground of the mind. On one side is arrayed the vast army of the dark forces of the mind, and on the other side are arrayed the Daivic forces (Godly forces or auspicious tendencies of the mind) marshalling and taking positions under the Supreme Command of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief, that is, Sri Bhagwan. And it is ingrained knowledge in us that dark forces or the mental demons of jealousy, hatred, anger, greed, etc., cannot wage battle for long against the sustained assault by the godly forces particularly when they are taking command from the Supreme Commander. They are destined to be vanquished sooner than later.

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan’s Grace is of paramount importance. I am certain that one cannot achieve the breakthrough by one’s efforts alone. What should we do to tap Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, which, though, is readily available ? IN MY VIEW, STEADFAST EFFORT ON OUR PART AT SELF-ENQUIRY, ACCOMPANIED BY GRADUAL SURRENDER TO THE FEET OF THE SADGURU, CAN ALONE ENABLE US TO TAP THE EVER AVAILABLE MUNIFICENT GRACE OF SRI BHAGWAN.

Regards,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 11, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
Those who learn and understand
And practice it with steadfastness,
May they live for ever and ever.
                 V. 1413, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Devotees,

We, in the present state of ignorance, think or understand ourselves to be the mind, which Sri Bhagwan says, is the bundle of thoughts. So, are we mere bundle of thoughts ? No, we are by His Grace, now know, at least intellectually, that we are, in essence, Pure Awareness. But Sri Bhagwan says that unless we are aware about the subject, that is, individual-‘I’, we will remain imprisoned and bound within the framework of the mind. For, the mind, with innumerable thoughts and fort-like defence mechanism, is a prison. We cannot escape from its suffocating stranglehold easily. It moves from one thought to another in rapid succession pertaining to the objective world.  Therefore, if we wish to attain the Atma-Swarupa, we must find an effective means to turn the attention of the mind from the objects to the subject. Self-enquiry is the only infallible weapon by means of which our identification with the body-mind complex can come to an end.  This weapon is certain to strike at the very root of our wrong identification and assumptions. This method is certain to sow seeds of doubts, soon enough, about our notions of separate, individual existence and our true nature, paving way in order to be free from the shackles of identified existence.
Dear devotees, we understand that the mind, as such, can never be controlled. If it is regarded as real, it can never be done away with. So, Sri Bhagwan teaches that one must question ‘What is this that is called the mind ?’ and seek its Source. When thus questioned, it is revealed that the mind as we know it in the present state of ignorance is a mere concept. Being unreal, it cannot stand the searchlight of Enquiry and is sure to get destroyed. Therefore, it is imperative that one starts the Enquiry with an undercurrent of doubt about our notions of personality and identity for the assured success.

In the beginning, when one sits for Enquiry, thoughts in hordes come rushing. One may get disheartened by the sheer number of the thoughts. Tracing each thought to its Source by the process taught by Sri Bhagwan may appear cumbersome. Therefore, Sri Bhagwa taught that the easiest thing to do is to catch hold of the ‘I’-thought alone. In this way, it is not necessary to prevent other thoughts. This is the self-attention. If Self-attention is practiced in this manner, ‘I’-thought gets separated from the other myriad thoughts and objects. It cannot withstand sustained onslaught by the searchlight of the steadfast Self-attention. Once this is achieved, ego cannot thrive in isolation. It is then certain to merge in the Consciousness of the Pure Being. How beautifully Sri Ganapati Muni has versified Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching!

“Born of forms, rooted in forms,
Living on forms, ever changing its forms,
Itself formless, flitting when questioned,
Such is the ego-ghost.”
       V. 27, Sat Darshana

Dear devotees, such parasite is the ego-ghost which is so dear to us! Deny it the forms. Scorch it by sustained and steadfast Enquiry. Question it. The thief will flee away when thus questioned. Then only the notion of a separate, limited, individual existence will cease for once and all and our Atma-Swarupa will be revealed.

“Inward, inward is the path,
For everyone the path is inward.”

Dear devotees, yes,  “inward” is the word He utters, one word and no other word.

Thank You,
   Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 11, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Mind turned inward will attain the Self.  Mind turned outward will
go into the world and suffer.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »

Ji. Yes. Very well said. Mind turned inward attains the Self, the Atma-Swarupa. The mind turned outward, creates the world of phenomena, identifies with it, and sufffers no end. Thank you so much, sir.

Dear sir, as I said, I do not have a copy of '108 Names' (Sri Ramana Ashttaram). But I wish to know what are the other most befitting Names of Sri Bhagwan in the 'Sri Ramana Ashttaram' composed by Sri Vishwanatha Swami ? Kindly enlighten.

Regards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 11, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »

Dear Anil,

All the 108 names are pearls. But I like the following:

1. Smaranath bandha mochakaya Namah:  On thinking, He will remove
    our bondages.  Like Arunachala, Sri Bhagavan is also capable of
    removing our bondages on thinking about Him.

2.  Sri Dakshinabhi mukaya Namah:  Like Sri Dakshinamurty, Sri
     Bhagavan too in Old Hall and other places, though accidentally
     sitting facing South. This Name reminds that He is Sri Dakshinamurty
     Himself.

3.   Om Sri Sundararya tapa phalaya Namah:  He is the fruit for the
      tapas of His father Sundaram Iyer. Otherwise, Iyer could not have
      sired  Him. Though Iyer passed away early, his boon to the world
      is Sri Bhagavan.

4.   Om Samsrarnava tarakya Namah:  One who is the boat man who
      helps us crossing the rough sea of samsara and reach the shore.

5.   Om Purushottamaya Namah:  One who is the only Purusha, God
      while all the jivas in the world are only feminine. Like Krishna.

Arunachala Siva.