Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756409 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1380 on: September 04, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan's Grace is ever there. But we should make efforts to inquire within or to surrender,
so that the Grace is felt more clearly.  Mere effort will not do. Grace cannot be experienced with
no effort. Both go together.   Muruganar says that if we take one step towards Guru/God or the Self,
then Guru/God or the Self will come to us taking nine steps.  This is very true. Sri Bhagavan says
in Navamani Maalai Verse 7: Merit or defect I know none, apart from you. My very life you are.
Do with me what you will. Only, give me ever increasing love for Your twin feet.

Arunachala Siva. 

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji,

Thanks for sharing your wonderfull trip. It is very nice to know about the Madurai devotees. It looks like sabarimala yatra for Bhagavan devotees.  Madurai devotees showed their Bhakthi like ADIYARKU ADIYEN  after giving dothi to the drummers. It was a Ganesh chathruthi day also.

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 05, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much for a vey nice post, sir. WHEN EARNEST EFFORT AND GRACE MEET, HIGHEST SPIRITUAL ASPIRATION OF MAN, THAT IS, INHERENCE IN EVER-PRESENT SELF, IS ACHIEVED. I understand that Grace alone confers Self-realisation, but one step on behalf of the seeker is sine-qua-non. You have very beautifully observed that Grace cannot be experienced without effort. Both go together.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 05, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
Dear Devotees,

“Through the potent Grace of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, the path of Self-enquiry was brought within the competence of men and women of this age, was indeed fashioned into a new path that can be followed anonymously in the conditions of  the modern world, with no forms and ritual—nothing to distinguish a person outwardly from the world wherein he moves. This creation of a new path to suit the needs of the age has made Sri Arunachala the spiritual Centre of the world. More than ever now that He has shed His physical body and is one with Sri Arunachala as he has always been, the Grace and Guidance that emanates from Him to those who turn to Him and seek His aid is centred at Sri Arunachala. It is the Holy Place and is the Centre. Many are drawn there, both those who were disciples of Sri Bhagwan in His Lifetime and those who have come later.”
                                                  Sri Arthur Osborne

Sri Bhagwan is ever one with Sri Arunachala. A great sage like Sri Bhagwan is ever established in the Consciousness of the Pure Being. To Him, the body is the mere appearance and it does not matter whether He is still in the body or has shed it, for, He can neither gain anything nor lose anything by its dissolution. THEREFORE, IT FOLLOWS THAT THE SADGURU EMODIED IS THE SADGURU EVEN WHEN DISEMBODIED. When a devotee pleaded with Him to restore His body just before the Maha-Nirvana, He is said to have replied that the devotee attached too much importance to the body. THIS OBVIOUSLY IMPLIED THAT THE BODY WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE TO HIS GUIDANCE.

It is well known that Sri Bhagwan initiated His devotees in Silence without form or ritual. WISDOM OF HIS FORMLESS AND SILENT INITIATION IS NOW OBVIOUS, FOR, THE SAME FORMLESS AND SILENT INTIATION CONTINUES ALTHOUGH HE SHED HIS BODY SOME 51 YEARS BEFORE !

While embodied, His sustained, penetrating and piercing Look, or His appearance in dreams or His vision gave inner certitude to a seeker that he has been taken up. Sometimes, one even experienced unexplained inner certitude of having been taken up. However, now that he is disembodied, but still those who have been taken up are in no less certitude of His Guidance than those who were taken up in His lifetime.

Therefore, one should be in no doubt whatever, nay, one should be in no less certainty that his formless and silent Initiation continues as before.

Dear devotees, ultimately the Guru is to be found within oneself. His is, in truth, the formless, silent Guidance. Sri Bhagwan has said that the actual work of the Guru is from within. The purpose of the outer Guru is to turn a seeker inwards to the Inner guru. However, one should be vigilant as a seeker may be misled by false inner impulses and urges as the inner Guru as one is often misled by false persons masquerading as the outer Guru. Hence, constant vigilance and intelligent purity are the watch words.

Thank You,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 05, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »

Dear Anil,

Grace + Effort  will produce atma bodham.

Effort alone will not produce atma bodham.

Grace alone will produce atma bodham,  [here we have to presume,
that the efforts have been done in the previous births.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
Grace + Effort will produce atma bodham.

Effort alone will not produce atma bodham.

Grace alone will produce atma bodham, [here we have to presume,
that the efforts have been done in the previous births.

Effort alone cannot take us to Atma Bodham. Sri Bhagwan says in talk—220, “Dispassion cannot be acquired, nor realisation of the Truth, nor inherence in the Self, in the absence of Guru’s Grace”.  But on the other hand He says that practice is sine-qua-non. I quote here Sri Arthur Osborne’s experience and feeling :

“He sat up facing me and His luminous eyes pierced into me, penetrating, intimate, with an intensity which I cannot describe….then quietness, a depth of peace, an indescribable lightness and happiness.”
Smt. Lucia Osborne, wife of Sri Osborne, writes that for the first time in life he began to understand what the Grace and Blessing of the Guru can mean. It was this initiation by look that vitalized him and made him follow Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching by using Self-enquiry, the Vichara “Who am I ?”, which with his intellectual bent of mind suited him to perfection as sadhana (quest). Smt. Lucia Osborne further writes that SRI OSBORNE REALISED THAT THE DECISION WAS NOT HIS; IT WAS ALWAYS DUE TO GRACE. Later he learnt that many other devotees also had had such an experience and with them also it had marked the beginning of active sadhana under Sri Bhagwan’s Guidance.(Source: Be Still, It Is The Wind That Sings)

I feel that all of us who came to Sri Bhagean irrevocably feel similarly.
Dear sir, we must accept that Grace is the Self and therefore It is in the beginning, in the middle and in the end of everything and of every doing including quest for Self-knowledge.

Ego-mind is the obstacle. It must pave way for the Grace to be experienced unobstructed. And to realise that in truth ego-mind does not exist at all, practice on behalf of the seeker is imperative.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Many devotees have tried in their own way to compare three great Teachers of Non-dual Jnana. Sri Dakshinamurti, Sri Shankra, and Bhagwan Sri Ramana. Sri Dakshinamurti is the Adi Guru, the first Guru, the first preceptor.  He sat beneath the banyan tree as a Youth, surrounded by elderly disciples, and taught them in Silence. But in the modern era, most of us cannot understand the uninterrupted language of Silence.  So, says Dr. T.M. P. Mahadevan, Sri Dakshinamurti Himself rose from His Seat beneath the banyan tree and broke His Silence. He appeared in the form of Sri Shankaracharya. Sri Mahadevan says that It is Shankara who is moving in the world in the form of various masters. And, It is the same Shankara that appeared to us as Bhagwan Sri Ramana. 

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan Himself affirmed this assertion thus:
“Can Shankara, the enlightener of the Self, be different from one’s Self ? Who but he, does this day, abiding as the inmost Self in me, speak this in the Tamil language ?”

The operation of the Spiritual Power of such great Enlightened Preceptors is not limited to the lifetime of their physical existence within time and space. It continues for ever. And those who understand, are attracted to them, study their life and teachings and try to follow them to get into the ambit of their Grace that is not different from the Supreme Divine Grace. This is not heresy  but within the actual experience of all of us who did not see Sri Bhagwan during His life-time and  who came to Sri Bhagwan after His Maha-Nirvana on hearing of Him, or coming to know of Him through books or the other, whatever the pretext the mode of coming. The Great sage like Sri Bhagwan is timeless and belong to all time and by His very nature light the path of the genuine seekers and help them in ever so many ways.

Than You,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 06, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »

Dear Anil,

By His Silence, Sri Bhagavan appeared as Sri Dakshinamurti. Silence was His uninterrupted
Speech. By writing about non dualism and staying in non dual consciousness, He also revealed
Himself as Sri Sankara.  In the poem, you have quoted, Sri Bhagavan indirectly showed that He
was Sri Sankara Himself.

In Sri Ramana Ashottaram, there are two names connecting Sri Bhagavan and Sri
Dakshinamurti:

Om Sri Dakshinasya   nibhaya Namah |     [48]

I salute HIm who is equal to Sri Dakshinamurti.     

Om Sri Dakhinabbhimukaya Namah |  [50]

Salutations to Him, who like Sri Dakshinamurti [though naturally] sits facing South.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 07, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
By His Silence, Sri Bhagavan appeared as Sri Dakshinamurti. Silence was His uninterrupted
Speech. By writing about non dualism and staying in non dual consciousness, He also revealed
Himself as Sri Sankara. In the poem, you have quoted, Sri Bhagavan indirectly showed that He
was Sri Sankara Himself.

This is a very nice post and very gladdening to the heart. Thank you so much for such an enlightening post. I firmly believe that Sri Bhagwan was none other than Sri Shankara. Sri Shankara is none other than Sri Dakshinamurti, the Adi Guru. And Sri Dakshinamurti, the Adi Guru is none other than Sri Arunachala Himself, the Inner Self of all. Therefore, it follows that Sri Arunachala, the Self, Himself revealed as Sri Dakshinamurti, Sri Shankara and Sri  Bhagwan, in different periods and in Forms that suited to the age in which He thus appeared. Sri Arunachala is verily all.

Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 07, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
Question: Is it enough if I spend some time in the mornings and some time in the evenings for this Atma-vichara? Or should I do it always—say, even when I am writing or walking? 
Sri Bhagwan : Now what is your real nature? Is it writing, walking, or being? The one unalterable reality is being. Until you realise that state of pure being you should pursue the enquiry. If once you are established in it, there will be no further worry.
No one will enquire into the source of thoughts unless thoughts arise. So long as you think ‘I am writing,’ ‘I am walking,’ enquire who does it.

Dear Devotees,

Writing, walking, eating, sleeping, etc., are not our Real Nature. They are thoughts rising in the Pure Being. We are verily the Self. So long as there are enemies within the fortress, they will continue to sally forth.  If they are destroyed as they emerge, the fortress will fall into our hands. So also, our real enemies are thoughts and if they are destroyed as they emerge by the twin swords of Vichara, we experience directly that there never is an enemy. We are Pure Being ourselves.  Rest everything else is a mere fleeting thought, rising and sinking in our Pure Being.

Dear devotees, we have three modes of manifestation, namely, being, thinking and doing. Being is alone the fundamental Reality. Why ? BECAUSE ONE CANNOT THINK UNLESS HE FIRST IS. HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING UNLESS HE FIRST IS.  But True Being is so veiled by thinking and doing that the joy of mere being is seldom experienced. However, thinking and doing cannot hide the Reality completely. Moisture is on the surface which leads to discovery of water in the acquifer beneath. Feeling of ‘I am’ is that moisture on the surface, that master scent, that infallible clue that leads us to the discovery of our real Self. The greatness of Self-enquiry or the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, lies in the fact that it is the only means which is the direct approach to the Conscious Being. If we practice Vichara as taught we may soon enough reach a state when we may experience  that Consciousness underlies our modes of all thinking and all doing. 

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan teaches that so long as one thinks ‘I am writing’, ‘I am walking’, enquiry should be made as to who does it.

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 07, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. One can keep the unalterable fact that I am Being, I am, he can
do any writing or working, without letting go the I-- am-ness.  Ahamasmi
or Asmitha is the true Being,.  The working, writing etc., are through the
mind. If one is firm on the former, the latter can be executed without
any let up.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 08, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
“One can keep the unalterable fact that I am Being, I am, he can
do any writing or working, without letting go the I-- am-ness. Ahamasmi
or Asmitha is the true Being,. The working, writing etc., are through the
mind. If one is firm on the former, the latter can be executed without
any let up.”

Ji. Yes. For, we are the Self. And in the Self, there is no seeing, no doing, no walking, no writing …..nothing, but only Being. Therefore, a Jnani or an enlightened Sage does not see anything because the entity that thinks that it sees, or does, or writes, or walks, etc., has died.
Sri Bhagwan says that it is not true to say that ‘seeing the Self or God everywhere is Self-realisation’. To see the Self everywhere there must be an ‘I’ who sees and while that ‘I’ exists it is obvious that mind also exists.

However, dear sir, Sri Bhagwan says that when one practices Self-enquiry, he may reach a stage when mind still exists and ‘WHERE HE CAN SEE THE WHOLE WORLD AS A MANIFESTATION OF THE SELF.  But when the mind finally dies, there is no one who sees the world and, in truth, there is no world either to be seen or in which to do walking, writing, or for that matter, to do anything.

Sri Descartes said, “I think, therefore, I exist.” Yes, thinking implies existence of the mind. If mind exists, then Sri Bhagwan emphatically says that the earth, the sky, and the stars also exist and we will be able to see them. If the false lower mind dies, there is no earth, no sky, no stars, no sun, no moon, nothing will exist, for world and objects, names and forms, are in the mind. When mind dies by Enquiry, everything dies with it. Only then Self remains. That we are.

This is also very important to understand that seeing everything as the Self does not mean that the Self is equally distributed everywhere. This is also a mere idea of the mind. There is no truth in it. After the mind is finally extinct, we know that there is neither distribution nor any ‘everywhere’ in the Self.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 08, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »
“Keep advaita within the Heart. Do not ever carry it into action. Even if you apply it to all the three worlds, O Son, it is not to be applied to the Guru.”
            V. 87,Tattvopadesa By Adi Shankaracharya, V. 39, Reality in Forty Verses, Supplement

Dear Devotees,

One should not carry Advaita into action. And even if one applies it to all the three worlds, it should not be applied to the Guru. This is said to be an important caution which must be observed by devotees. One should always reflect on and seek inwardly the Truth of Advaita (Non-duality), but should not carry the Teaching into actions. Meditation on The Truth of Non-duality is proper, Self-enquiry to seek the Swarupa is all right, but one should understand that it is not to be done in respect of the Guru even if it is done in respect of all the three worlds.

At first, reasons for these injunctions are difficult to find, but if we go deeper into it, reasons become obvious and are not so very difficult to understand.
Dear devotees, the power of the ego should never be underestimated. It wouldn’t easily yield and  succumb. Its defence mechanism is difficult to penetrate easily. It is bound to pervert and frustrate even the honest and earnest efforts to realise the Truth which will mean its death. Reflection on the Truth of Advaita and Atma-vichara to seek the Self tend to give mortal blows to the ego thereby dissolving it and inculcates devotion to the Truth. BUT ACTION FROM THE NON-DUALISTIC STANDPOINT IS SUICIDAL. WHY ? BECAUSE OUR ENEMY, THAT IS, THE EGO, WILL BE IN CHARGE FOR CARRYING OUT THESE ACTIONS. Will it be not ?

Dear devotees, as long as ego is alive, ignorance is alive, duality persists, and from the standpoint of ego-mind,  truly Advaitic (Non-dualistic) actions are impossible to carry out. A Self-realised Jnani alone can put Advaita into action. This is the reason why the Scriptures and the Guru teach to curtail and restrict our activities and not to unduly extend them so that the ego is given as little scope  and  opportunity as possible to frustrate our earnest efforts to realise the Truth. It is worth mention here that mere a theoretical knowledge of the Self cannot help destroy the ego and, therefore, to carry Advaita into practice, on the strength of mere intellectual knowledge of the Self, is detrimental to one’s spiritual advancement.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that Guru, God, and the Self are One and the Same. Therefore, The Guru is God incarnate. So, in my view, utmost devotion to the Guru is of supreme importance when one is seeking Self-realisation. Until one himself gains the egoless state, it is absolutely unwise to seek to look upon the Guru as oneself. Because the ego is on always lurking round the corner to frustrate our efforts, consequences of regarding the Guru will be suicidal to our efforts to realise the Self. WHY ? BECAUSE IT MAY RESULT IN BELIEVING ONESELF, QUITE UNJUSTFIABLY, TO BE THE EQUAL OF THE GURU. To be one with the Guru, one, therefore, first must attain the egoless state himself. Till then it is not proper at all, and in my view even blasphemous, to imagine non-difference with the Guru.         

Thank You,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:45 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan is also concurring with Sri Sankara. In fact, He has included
this verse in ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement Verse 39. 

Sri Bhagavan was sitting on the sofa. Every devotee was sitting on the
floor of the OId Hall. They knew that even though they were practicing
self inquiry, they can never even dream of sitting with Sri Bhagavan
on the sofa.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 08, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
The habit by disciples of worshipping their Guru, who has taken them as His own, is, if pondered over, only observed as an outward formality, just like a wife’s habit of outwardly observing proper reverence towards her husband while in company.
                                                             V. 304, GVK, Tr. and Comm. by Sri Sadhu Om

Ji. Yes. Even a Self-realised Jnani who has been Sri Bhagwan’s devotee cannot dream of sitting with Him on the sofa. In the cited V. 304 of the GVK, ‘who has taken them as His own’, in my view, implies Self-realised devotees.  In the commentary given below the cited Verse, it has been mentioned that paying formal reverence to the husband is a custom in India by actions such as always sitting at a lower level than her husband, etc.  The commentary says that in truth, however, both of them know that these actions are mere formalities, and that, since they are one in life, she is really not inferior to him. In the same way, even the Self-realised disciple will observe the formalities of outward reverence towards his Guru, even though both of them know that they are, in truth, one in Jnana.

So, it follows that the Guru is always the Guru whether the disciple is Self-realised or not. Advaita Bhava with the Guru therefore is out of question.

Dear sir, I wish you to kindly explain ‘the Guru Uchishtam’.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil