Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755759 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1305 on: August 17, 2011, 11:01:56 AM »

Dear Anil,

The Brahman  or the Self is only Sat Chit Ananda. It is only Effulgence.

Sri Bhagavan says that the Self is only Effulgence. He calls it as oLi.  The Light or Effulgence.
Instead of meditating on this Effulgence, to see other forms is like trying to look for darkness
with Light on your hands.  Sri Arunachala Ashtakam Verse 4. But at the same time, the Light
or the Self is seen as different gods in different religions. It is like a blind man not being able
to see the Sun.

However, for beginners, a personal God or a God with form is essential.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji, Yes.Sri Bhagwan says that If one thinks oneself to be with form the world and God will also be with forms. If one finds by Enquiry that one is formless, who will see the forms of the world and God and how? Meaning is obvious enough. What Sri Bhagwan is teaching is that if I think that I am an individual with a name and form, the Self who is verily none other than Brahman and Supreme Lord also appears with a name and form.  But when by enquiry one knows that one is not a name and form but Pure Consciousness, God Himself and that individuality is mere illusion, all doubts and confusion will automatically cease. So, Sri Bhagwan says that though God assumes many names and forms as imagined by the devotees, Formless Pure Consciousness alone is God. Heart is His Seat, nay, God Himself is the Heart. To know this alone is Jnana. 

Therefore, at a lower level, from the standpoint of ignorance, the existence of God follows from our conception of God. As will be the conception, so will be Ishwara. It is obvious enough that this concept will be according to the level of the one who conceives.

However, from the standpoint of Realisation, i.e. from the ultimate level, God is the Absolute, Immanent, Formless, Pure Consciousness. Personal God, the world and jivas are mere illusory appearances in It.
Devotee : Is God subject to cosmic dissolution ?
Sri Bhagwan : Why ? Man becoming aware of the Self transcends cosmic dissolution and becomes liberated. Why not Ishwara who is infinitely wiser and abler.

Another conversation,
Devotee : Do Visnu, Siva, etc. exist ?
Sri Bhagwan : Individual human souls are not the only beings known.
Devotee: where do they exist?
Sri Bhagwan: In you.

From the above conversation, it follows that they exist, but only according to the level of the man who conceives. However, ultimately Self or Brahman alone exists.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 18, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
Dear Devotees,

IT TAKES TIME TO EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT LORD DWELLS IN OUR OWN HEARTS.  DOES IT NOT?
It appears blasphemous in the beginning to look upon God as the Self.  We, out of ignorance, assign an individuality and a personality to God. General perception that prevails about God is that He dwells faraway, somewhere in the inter-stellar region, in a heaven of great splendour, surrounded by gods and angels, enjoying great pageantry.

So, when we are taught that the True God is egoless, we are perplexed. However, we wish to know that how the apparent world came about.  So, the scriptures teach, to start with, that God created it all and also that He created it all out of His own Substance and ultimately they will come into Him alone when ‘pralaya’ happens. So, God is that Unity that underlies the multiplicity. Then, we want to know about God. So, in the beginning scriptures teach that God is an individual like ourselves, though infinitely greater in size, power, and attributes. But there comes a time when we are not satisfied with this explanation. We seek a Guru then. The Guru tells us that the True God is egoless, has no individuality, no personality. He is the One Reality and that is the Self in the hearts of all.

In the early stage of the seeking, egoless-God does not appear sensible to us, it is beyond the comprehension of the ego-ridden mind. What does egolessness mean?  Egolessness is Existence without personality. It is impersonality. However, impersonality does not mean that it is nothing in contrast to personality which means something. Consciousness is there in both personality as well as in impersonality. PERSONALITY IS CONSCIOUSNESS CABINED, CRIBBED AND CONFINED AND IMPERSONALITY IS CONSCIOUSNESS AS IT REALLY IS, UNCONFINED, PURE AND INFINITE.

Therefore, Impersonality is LIGHT where as personality is sheer darkness. One is freedom from the tyranny of the mind, the other is slavery, bondage. The One is Knowledge Supreme, the other is ignorance wretched.  THEREFORE, IMPERSONALITY IS EGOLESSNESS WHICH IS OUR TRUE NATURE.

Impersonality is the Existence, Consciousness undiminished, Bliss perennial. Triputi of God, world and jivas is illusion. Is it not ? Sri Bhagwan says that Existencce-Consciousness plus variety is what is called the world, Existence-Consciousness plus individuality is what is called a jiva or a creature, and Existence-Consciousness plus ‘the idea of all’ is what we understand as God. So, I need not explain that esoterically these three are unreal.  Sri Bhagwan says in the second Verse of the ‘Five Stanzas to Sri Arunachala’, “Oh, Arunachala ! In Thee the pictures of the universe is formed, has its stay, and is dissolved; this is the sublime truth. Thou art the Inner Self, who dancest in the Heart as ‘I’. Heart is Thy Name.” The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi’ comments that the Verse refers to God first as Creator, Preserver, destroyer, and then ultimately as the REALISED by the Enlightened.

Dear devotees, our True Existence transcends all concepts including that of Idea of God.

Sri Bhagwan says that the Hebrew Name of God, ‘Jehovah’ which means ‘I AM’ expresses the Truth of God most perfectly. Sri Bhagwan often drew the attention of the devotees to the mystery sentence of the Bible “I AM THAT I AM” that was revealed to Moses by God Himself. This is the only sentence in Bible which is printed in capital letters. Sri Bhagwan says that through this sentence God has given out the SECRET OF HIS NATURE THAT HE IS JUST ‘I AM’ WHICH IS THE EVER-SHINING LIGHT OF CONSCIOUSNESS IN THE HEART MEANING THEREBY THAT HE IS THE SELF.
Dear devotes, how can we then settle for anything less than the Realisation of what we in truth are, that is, “I AM” and BEING It ?

Thank you,
  Anil             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 18, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »

Dear Anil,

M.P. Pandit of Aurobindo Ashram called Sri Bhagavan as Mighty Impersonality.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 18, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
                                                      The Worship of Consciousness

Only the pure being-consciousness is the true God who is worthy of being worshipped by the vast assembly of Jivas. (V. 57, Padamalai, p. 93)

Worship of consciousness is getting firmly established in consciousness, with the mind disconnecting itself from other things. (V. 54, Padamalai, P. 92)

The state in which consciousness does not desire the non-self is worship of the Selfwithout beibg separate from it. ( V. 55, Padamali, P. 55)

Other than consciousness, the pure clarity in which excellence flourishes, there is no God who is being worthy of being worshipped. (V. 56, Padamali, P. 92)

AS CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE REAL NATURE OF SIVA,  ONLY ENQUIRY INTO CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE TRUE WORSHIP OF SIVA. (V. 58, Padamali, P. 93)

The meaning and implication for the devotees of Sri Bhagwan is obvious enough and I do not think that the cited Verses need any explanation.

Thank you,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »

Dear Anil.

Very nice.

When M. Sivaprakasam Pillai asked Sri Bhagavan:  "Of the devotees,. who is the greatest?"

Sri Bhagavan replied: He who gives himself up to the Self that is God is the most excellent devotee.
Giving one's self up to God means remaining constantly in the Self without giving room for rise of
any thoughts other than the thought of the Self.

Whatever burdens are thrown on God, He bears them. Since the supreme power of God makes
all this move, why should we, without submitting ourselves to it, constantly worry ourselves with
thoughts as to what should be done and how, and what should not be done and how not? We know
that the train carries all loads, so after getting on it, why should we carry our small luggage on our
head to our discomfort, instead of putting it down in the train and feeling at ease?

[Tr. Arthur Osborne]
With this answer, Sri Bhagavan summed up devotion and surrender.   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 19, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »
“M.P. Pandit of Aurobindo Ashram called Sri Bhagavan as Mighty Impersonality.”

I became very happy to learn that Sri M.P. Pandit of the Aurbindo Asharam called Sri Bhagwan the Mighty Impersonality. Thank you so much, sir. SRI BHAGWAN IS THE IMPERSONAL ABSOLUTE BEING. EVEN AN INCARNATION IS AN ASPECT OF GOD. SRI BHAGWAN IS GOD HIMSELF.
 Personality is that which divides and separates us from all other beings. It is based on the ego-mind which thinks itself to be a conscious and intelligent being different from all other beings. But we, the devotees of Sri Bhawan, by His Grace, are now aware that the consciousness that the ego-mind has is not its own but merely the reflection of the minute fraction of the Consciousness of the Supreme Self, just as minute fraction of the light of the sun reflected from the water in a pot produces the tiny image of the gigantic sun in the pot itself.

On the contrary, Impersonality is the State of Egolessness. Therefore, which one is mightier or greater, personality or impersonality? On the face, personality appears to be something where as Impersonality appears to be nothing. But, nevertheless, we know that personality is a limitation to a body, name, while Impersonality is beyond any limitation whatever. It is infinite Consciousness. Personality is consciousness confined, limited and impure whereas Impersonality is Supreme Consciousness Itself—Unconfined, Infinite and Pure. Personality is bondage, Impersonality is freedom form bondage. One is sheer dark ignorance, the other is Knowledge, Light.

Therefore, Sri  M. P. Pandit very aptly called Sri Bhagwan the Mighty Impersonality, for,Sri Bhagwan  shines now in His True Nature as the WHOLE unveiled and therefore is the Embodiment of the Mightiest Impersonality who ever appeared within the relative existence of time and space, or so-called  mathematical space-time.

Sri Sadhu Om Swamigal sings his prayer-hymn thus :
Not to teach the world, the myth,
Not to gain a mass of wealth,
Not for name and fame that hails,
Flock you all and worship Him’,
‘Tis not for these I sing this hymn;
Only for the great reward,
The death of ego, I pray, my Lord !
          V. 68, Ramana Guruvarul Antadi, cited from ‘The Path of Sri Ramana, Part One

Regards,
  Anil                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »

Dear Anil,

Even during Sri Bhagavan's times, many came for ordinary requests, like good health,
transfer of job to Tiruvannamalai, marriage for their daughters etc., Sri Bhagavan
graced them all. But as Sri Sadhu Om said: The best prayer to Sri Bhagavan is to
make us egoless.

Arunachala Siva..

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 19, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »
“Sri Bhagavan replied: He who gives himself up to the Self that is God is the most excellent devotee.
Giving one's self up to God means remaining constantly in the Self without giving room for rise of
any thoughts other than the thought of the Self.”

“With this answer, Sri Bhagavan summed up devotion and surrender.”

I cite below the V. 28 of the Ulladu Narpadu to say what I wish to say as following :

As one would dive to recover something that has fallen into water, even so, one should, with a keen mind, dive into oneself, controlling speech and breath, and find the place whence the swell ‘I’ rises. Thus should you know. 
                                     V. 28, Ulladu Narpadu, Ramana Maharshi and His Philosophy of Existence

Therefore, Self-enquiry for the Self consists in mobilising all the energies of the body and the mind, rejecting or subduing all thoughts, and then directing all the energies thus mobilised into a single resolve of finding the answer to the One All-Important Question ‘Who Am I ?’. Sri Bhagwan says that just as one dives into water, seeking a precious article that has fallen, so too the seeker of his own Truth should dive into the Heart, with firm resolve, restraining the speech and the vital breath, to find the answer to the question ‘Who am I?’ or ‘Where form rises the sense of the self in the ego?’ 

Dear sir, the diver is supposed to be fully devoted to the purpose of seeking the lost article, restrains his breath and even ties some weight to his waist and dives into water and finds the lost article. So Sri Bhagwan says that one must love the Self and be fully devoted to the purpose of finding It, restraining his speech and breath. If one does not love the Self, how can he be fully devoted to seeking It? Therefore, resolve to find the Self is the dynamic element and brings about the devotional aspect in the Enquiry. I must be fully devoted so that, by ingathering all the vital and mental energies, and by directing them Self-ward, I am able to seek the sense of the Self ‘I am’ in the ego ‘I am Anil’.

Sri Bhagwan says that success is assured to him who so dives into the Heart. For, if the seeker’s mind becomes pure by such practice, the Sadguru says that some mysterious force rises from within, takes possession of his mind and takes it straight to the Heart. However, if such love and devotion is not there, the seekers need to practice the Enquiry with perseverance, or other yoga or some other spiritual practices, as enjoined by Sri Bhagwan, until their minds become pure and strong, and are able to seek the Self with such devotion and steady resolve. With such pure and strong mind one is able to sink into the Heart and is able to abide in the Self progressively for longer and longer period till the Sentience-insentience knot is cut and one is ultimately Self-realised. Sri Bhagwan says that to such a one, success is assured. 

Therefore, dear sir, you have very rightly said that giving one’s self up to God means remaining constantly in the Self without giving room for rise of any thought other than the thought of the Self.  This, indeed, is the Essence of Bhakti, Jnana, and Yoga.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 19, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. The verse of Sad Darsanam you have quoted, is giving the method of self inquiry,
which involves concentration, one pointedness towards the purpose, etc.,  In
Upadesa Saram, Sri Bhagavan says in Verse 10, as to what is bhakti, jnana, yoga
and karma:

Absorption in the heart of being,
Whence we sprang,
Is the path of action,  of devotion,
Of union and knowledge.

The whole thing is summarized here. I used to call it as Atom Bomb Verse/

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »

Ji. Yes. And in V. 29 of the Upadesa Saram, Sri Bhagwan says:
“To remain in the state of Self, having attained the Supreme Bliss, which is devoid of both bondage and liberation, is truly to be in the service of the Lord.”

In this verse also Sri Bhagwan says that true Devotion to the Lord is to remain in the state of the Self, having attained the Supreme Bliss. Bondage and liberation is for the ego.  And devotion is not true devotion so long as the devotee believes that he is separate from the Lord. For, believing oneself to be a separate entity apart from God or Brahman is obviously usurping His All-encompassing Reality of Being-Consciousness-Bliss. So, this is, in fact, an act of thieving.

Therefore, surrendering utterly one’s individuality is alone the true Devotion and true Jnana. Similarly, remaining in the state of Self, having attained the Supreme Bliss, devoid of both bondage and liberation is true Jnana and true Service, true love, and true Devotion to the Lord. Sri Bhagwan says in the next Verse, i.e., V. 30 that this is also the greatest ‘Tapas’. This alone is our prime duty. This alone is the Path of Bhagwan Sri Ramana.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 20, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan reveals:
“If the mind is thus well fixed in sadhana (attending to the Self), a power of divine Grace will then rise from within of its own accord and subjugating the mind will take it to the Heart.”   
What is this power of the Divine Grace, Sri Bhagwan on many occasions spoke of, and that rises from within of its own accord? Sri Sadhu Om in his ‘The Path of Sri Ramana’  says that it is nothing but the perfect clarity of our existence the form of the Supreme Self, ever shining with abundant Grace in the Heart as ‘I-I’. IT IS THE CLARITY OF THE EXPERIENCE OF ‘I AM’. 

Yes. Dear devotees, there comes a stage in the sadhana of the Atma-vichara when the seeker of Truth, by the strength of his practice, is able to cognise tangibly what is the state of absorption  of the ego and what exactly is the state of abidance in Self-awareness. However, this state is sporadic  and not the final state of Self-realisation, for, the seeker in this state  swings form the state of Self-abidance to the state of extroversion to second and third persons. Therefore, this is not the final state of liberation Sri Bhagwan speaks of.

An iron needle lying within a magnetic field is attracted to it only when it is dust free, though magnetic intensity is naturally existing all the time, even when the needle is rusted. But, all the same, the needle is attracted to the magnet only to the extent that it loses the rust.
So also, turning the attention away from the second and third persons and clinging to the first person is akin to scrapping the rust from the needle so that it is attracted to the magnet.

Therefore, the purpose of the sadhana of the Atma-vichara is only to become fit for becoming  a prey to be devoured by the magnetic field of the Consciousness of the Self which is ever shining whether we are fit to be attracted or not.

Sri Sadhu Om says that a mature aspirant will willingly and without rebelling submit himself to this great magnetic attraction of the Grace of the Self-effulgence.  And on the other hand, those who are not yet fit will externalise their attention, fearing the attraction of the Great Effulgence of the Self.

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that one must become a fit prey. How ? By intense love to know the Self and by dispassion of having no desire to attend to second and third persons.

Sri Om adds that since our very individuality as an aspirant itself is devoured, even the so-called ‘effort of ours’ becomes nil.  ‘I’-consciousness is then made to sink into the Heart, the real waking , the dawn of knowledge (Jnana), takes place. When a seeker is finally fit and ready, it happens in a split second! WHEN THE SUN OF JNANA RISES, THE DARKNES OF IGNORANCE IS EVAPORATED IN A TRICE. Sadhana is to bring about that pristine moment.

Thank you,
     Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 20, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »

Dear Anil,

Nice Post.

Yes, when the mind gets cleared off the dirt and dust, the Consciousness attracts
that pure mind [or for that matter, Pure Mind is itself the Self], and shines a lightning
flash, as Awareness,  "I am" - ness.

This is described by Sri Bhagavan, in Verse 3 of Atma Vidya Kirtanam:

That one light that shines as many selves
Seeing the Self within
As Awareness' lightning flash;
The play of Grace; the ego's death;
The blossoming of Bliss.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 21, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »
“Yes, when the mind gets cleared off the dirt and dust, the Consciousness attracts
that pure mind [or for that matter, Pure Mind is itself the Self], and shines a lightning
flash, as Awareness, "I am" – ness.”

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan says that cinema-pictures are seen on the screen with the help of a small light in an environment of darkness. If that darkness is suddenly dispelled by a big, intense light, will the pictures on the screen be visible? No, the pictures on the screen, along with the small light that enables the pictures on the screen to be visible and seen, will be merged in the flood of the big light. Will not the small light be drowned in an effulgence of light? In the same way, we see the world with small, feeble light called mind and find it full of different colours. However, Sri Bhagwan says that if we see it with the big light known as Self-realisation, we will find that It is one continuous universal light of Awareness, Knowledge, no creatures, no world and nothing else whatever.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »
(To be viewed in continuation with my post, re. 1353)

By the play of the force in the nerve channels, the flow of the ray of consciousness is understood. All the forces of the body are dependent on the distinct nerve-channels.
                                                   V. 9-9, Sri Ramana Gita

The consciousness is in a separate distinct Nadi. They call it the Sushumna. Some say it is the supreme Atmanadi, others call it the Amritanadi.
                                                      V. 9-10, Sri Ramana Gita

Abandoning the conceit about the body and the notion of the body as the Self, if a person of well-developed intellect enquires, one-pointedly, the churning of the Nadis will take place.
                                                        V. 9-12, Sri Ramana Gita

Thus by the churning of the Nadis, the Self gets separated. It resorts to the one Amrita Nadi and shines forth.
                                                        V. 9-13, Sri Ramana Gita

Dear Devotees,

As soon as we wake up from the sleep, adjunctless and attributeless I-consciousness shoots like lightening from the Heart to the brain. Then it spreads throughout the body through the nerves. It is like electrical energy and the motive force or the potential difference is the identification with the body as the Self, or ‘I’. This consciousness remains pure till it reaches the brain. This ‘I’-consciousness spreads from the brain at a tremendous speed throughout the body through the nerves like the flow of electrical energy through the electrical wires. Alas ! After reaching the brain this Pure Consciousness ‘I Am’ gets mixed with the adjunct ‘Anil’ or I AM SO AND SO and ‘I am the body’ idea is the result. This is what is called the knot of bondage or the Sentience-Insentience knot or granthi.

Therefore, when the attention is on the second and third persons, ‘I’-consciousness spreads from the brain to all over the body through the nerves. Now, what will happen if the attention is focussed on the first person ? The power of the consciousness that was responsible for its spreading takes the form of Self-attention, i.e., the power of being. So, the power of ‘doing’ is transformed into the power of ‘being’. THIS IS WHAT IS KNOWN AS ‘THE CHURNING OF NADIS’.WHEN THIS CHURNING TAKES PLACE IN THE NADIS, THE CONSCIOUSNESS SCATTERED THROUGHOUT THE BODY IS WITHDRAWN IN THE BRAIN FROM WHERE IT SCATTERED IN THE FIRST PLACE. FROM THE BRAIN IT DESCENDS TO THE HEART, THE SOURCE OF ITS RISING, AND IS MERGED IN THE PURE CONSCIOUSNESS. This is Jnana.

Dear devotees, in the path of Yoga, the ‘I’-consciousness scattered throughout the body is forcibly pushed back to the brain from where it spreads by the practice of BREATH-RETENTION. But this is a violent method. Sri Bhagwan very beautifully compares this method to ‘chasing a run-away cow, beating it, catching hold of it, dragging it forcibly to the shed and finally tying it there; on the other hand , bringing back the ‘I’-consciousness to its source by Self-enquiry is a gentle and peaceful method, like tempting the cow by showing it a handful of green grass, cajoling and fondling it, making it follows us of its own accord to the shed and finally tying it there. Therefore, the self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is rather a safe and pleasant path vis-a vis the path of Yoga. Moreover, in the violent method of Yoga, the body must be young and strong for the ‘churning of the Nadis’ to successfully happen. This churning of Nadis in a weak and old body may cause severe disorder of the nervous system and other physical and mental disorders. SRI BHAWN ASSURES THAT THERE IS NO SUCH DANGER IF THE ‘CHURNING OF NADIS’ HAPPEN BY HOLDING THE ATTENTION ON THE SELF ,I.E., BY ENQUIRY, FOR WITHDRAWAL OF CONSCIUOSNESS TAKES PLACE WITHOUT ANY STRAIN AND AS PEACEFULLY AS FALLING OF DEW. HAIL TO BHAGWAN SRI RAMAN ! No age barrier, no youthfulness required.

Dear devotees, the channel through which the ‘I’-consciousness rises from the Heart and spreads all over the body is called the Sushumna Nadi which can be experienced only during the  withdrawal of consciousness again from the brain to the Heart. Therefore, Shusumna Nadi is that channel through which the ‘I’-consciousness is experienced in the trunk of the body from the ‘Muladhara’ to ‘Sahasrara’ or from the base of the spine to the top of the head during withdrawal of the consciousness to the Heart, the source. During this withdrawal of consciousness to the Heart, one is said to have experiences of divine visions and other divine experiences. BUT ONE SHOULD PRESS ON, BECAUSE THEIR VERY OCCURANCES IMPLY THAT THE EXPERIENCER IS STILL THERE. SO THE ENQUIRY ‘WHO EXPEREINCES THESE DIVINE VISIONS AND THE OTHER DIVINE EXPERIENCES?’ IS IMPERATIVE SO THAT ONE ISNOT SWERVED FROM THE ENQUIRY WITHOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CULMINATION OF THE SADHANA. 
                                                                                     To continue

Thank you,
     Anil