Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758927 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1290 on: August 14, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, the last paragraph of my previous post should read thus : 

Yes. In my view, yours is an excellent explanation of the V. 14-27 of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita. Thank you so much, sir. Lord of the Gita is the supporter as well as the supported. He is All. The Lord says in V. 7-7 that ‘there is nothing besides Me, Arjuna. Like clusters of yarn-beads formed by knots on a thread, all this is threaded on Me.’ And again in V. 9-19, the Lord says that “‘sadasaccahamarjuna’ , that is, ‘I am being and non-being both, or Sat or asat both I am.” Besides, there are many other Verses in the Gita in which the Great Lord says that I am the Self or the Heart-cave of all beings. SELF IS VERILY THE BRAHMAN. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says, “Know the Self, all will be known.”

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 14, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »

Dear Anil.

Yes. Sri Krishna is both Sat and asat, Being and non being. He is all that
is in the universe and He is untouched by the universe.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
“Jnana is given neither from outside nor from another person. It can be realised by each and every one in his own Heart. The Jnana-Guru of everyone is only the supreme Self that is always revealing its own truth in every Heart through the existence-consciousness ‘I am’, ‘I am’. The granting of being-consciousness by him is initiation into jnana. The grace of the Guru is only this Self-awareness that is one’s own true nature. It is the being-consciousness by which he is unceasingly revealing his existence.”
                                                  Sri Bhagwan, Sri Ramana Darsanam

Dear Devotees,

Guru, God, Self, or the Brahman, are One and the Same. We must assimilate this simple Truth. And, therefore, the Jnana-Guru of all of us is our own True Self and we are not totally unaware of the Truth of the Self. Moisture is on the surface. It is always revealing Its own Truth in our Heart through the Existence-Consciousness ‘I am’, ‘I am’ unceasingly. Can we deny our existence ? Being-consciousness ‘I am’, ‘I am’, is the One True Existence and One True Life.

What is True Initiation ? Sri Bhagwan says that ‘granting of Being-Consciousness’ by Him is initiation into Jnana’. What does this Statement mean ? In my view, the Statement means that the Guru turns the mind of His devotees  inward and makes one aware of that Reality revealing Its Truth unceasingly through our Existence-Consciousness ‘I am’, ‘I am’. It is worth mention here that many devotees have expressed how Sri Bhagwan’s Silence and Gaze initiated them into Jnana by simply turning their attention to the awareness of that Unceasing Reality. This, indeed, is the Divine Grace of the Guru. Grace of the Guru is only this Self-awareness which is our own True Nature.

Therefore, granting of this Being-Consciousness (‘I am’) is the divine upadesa. Sri Bhagwan says that this Divine Teaching is always going on naturally in everyone and this Teaching alone can establish one in the Being-Consciousness through one’s own experience. And from this it follows that in fact there is no need at any time, for those who understand this Teaching of Sri Bhagwan, to seek the help of external beings.

Sri Bhagwan says that upadesa obtained from outsiders in forms such as sounds, gestures and thoughts are only mental concepts. Upadesa means abiding in or as the self. And since the self is our Real Nature, so long as we are seeking It from outside, Self-Realisation cannot be attained.

I AM MYSELF THE REALITY SHINING IN THE HEART AS BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS. So, Sri Bhagwan says, “Abide always as one established in wisdom having thus realised our True Nature”. This firm abidance in the experience of the Self is what is described in the Upanishads by such terms as ‘the import of Mahavakyas’, ‘Supreme silence’, Being Still’. ‘Realisation of one’s True Nature, etc.

Thank you,
    Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 15, 2011, 10:42:46 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I often find 'quotes' from the books namely 'Conscious Immortality' and 'Ibid' particularly in books written or edited by Sri A.R. Natarajan and Sri David Godman. I have neither read nor seen these two books in the Ashram Boot-depot. I find that the 'quotes' from these two books are often very significant and imortant particularly for the devotees of Sri Bhagwan.

Hence, will you kindly inform that by whom these books hav been authored and how can they be made available ? If, possible, kindly enlighten about the contents of the said books also.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 15, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »

Dear Anil,

"Conscious Immortality" is one of the last books of Paul Brunton.
Since there were some incorrect portions in that book, and since
Brunton's relationship with Asramam was not good, Asramam did
not publish it.  After sometime Sri A.R., Natarajan published that
book in his Ramana Centre, Bangalore.  But this book has no reprint.
No copies are available even with Ramana Centre, Bangalore.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 15, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

Thank you so much for posting information about the book ‘Conscious Immortality’. But what is meant by incorrect portions contained in the book ? Did the version of the book published by Ramana Centre, Bangalore contain the incorrect portions also? I have read Sri Paul Brunton’s ‘A Passage to Sacred India’ and particularly those chapters which are devoted to Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching. I also understand that it was this book authored by Sri Brunton that informed the West of the advent of Sri Bhagwan. Therefore, I wonder that a book authored by him should contain incorrect portios such that the Ashramam chose not to publish it. Anyway, Sri Bhagwan alone knows. However, you didn’t say anything about the book ‘Ibid’ from which I often find quotes in the books on Sri Bhagwan.

Regards,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 15, 2011, 05:36:06 PM »

Dear Anil,

A.R. Natarajan must have published the book, after deleting the incorrect
portions. But still  Asramam did not want to take up the book for publication.
The print published by Sri ARN, is also not re-printed. What are the incorrect
portions - I do not know.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:38 AM »
Devotee : Will there not be realization of the Self even while the world is there (taken as real) ?
Sri Bhagwan : THERE WILL NOT BE.
                                                              Who Am I ?

When the mind is turned away from objectivity and recognises its own conscious nature, that is, the Self, that is the true vision of the Reality.
                                                                 V. 16, Upadesa Saram

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, Drishya jagat  (the world), which is nothing but ever shifting mass of sensations, must go away for the Atma-Swarupa, our True Nature, to shine forth. So long as the world, which is thus mere appearance, created by the phantom-mind, is taken as real, there cannot be the Realization of the Self.  To prove the unreality of the world, Sri Bhagwan says :   

The world is made up of the five kinds of sense perceptions and nothing else. And these perceptions are felt as objects by the five senses. Since through the senses alone the mind perceives the world, is the world other than the mind?
                                                V. 6, ULLadu Narpadu, Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi

So, the world is nothing but the five sensations, namely sounds, forms, tastes, smells and contacts. Therefore, the so called world consists of the objects of the five sense organs and the five sensations are cognised by the mind through the five senses. Such being the case, the world is nothing other than the mind. This is the Teaching. 

So, we never perceive the world itself but only ever shifting mass of sensations of sounds, forms etc. But these sensations are not outside of us but only inside, i.e. in the mind only. However, we must not forget that in the final reckoning, there is no inside and outside. This cannot be denied. Even western philosophers after Sir Emmanuel Kant and even some of the modern scientists now subscribe and admit such positions with regard to the physical world.

But Sri Bhagwan says that the mind is only the bundle of thoughts. Therefore, these sensations in the mind can be nothing but thoughts arising in the mind. In fact, only the thoughts are the origins to these sensations. That there is an outside, where the objects and the world exist, is also a thought.

Sri Bhagwan often taught that waking state, in fact, is not different from the dream state. Why ? Because exactly the same processes take place in the same sequence in the dreams also—thoughts, sensations and appearances of the things, objects and an outside . So long as the dream lasts, appearances give the same false conviction as one is convinced of the reality of the world in the waking state.

Therefore, sensations are not really caused by objects outside but they are verily produced by the thoughts arising in the mind. The source of the sensations are not the external objects appearing in time and space. Therefore, it follows that the world and phenomena are purely mental. Who sees the world and the phenomena ?

A disciple asked a Zen Master : “How can we transform mountains, rivers, and the great earth, and reduce them into this Self ?
Promptly replied the Zen Master : HOW CAN WE TRANSFORM THIS SELF AND TURN IT INTO MOUNTAINS, RIVERS AND THE GREAT EARTH ? 

Thank you,
    Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
The hearts of those devotees
who have gained the light of jnana
from the jewel-like Guru
            whose radiant beauty shines forth,
             having brought to extinction
              the minds of those who are most qualified,
will not cling to any other light
whose nature is delusion,
but will dwell triumphantly
as the shining non-dual supreme space.
May His Feet enfold all
this world of imaginary experiences
that is reduced to nothingness
by the powerful light of that Supreme Expanse !
                                                              V. 77-82, Ramana Puranam

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says in the ‘Maharshi’s Gospel’ that the world is a perpetual change, a continuous, interminable flux and that a dependent, UNSELF-CONSCIOUS, ever-changing world cannot be real.
“Consciousness is always Self-consciousness.” If we are conscious of anything we are essentially conscious of ourselves. Unself-conscious existence is a contradiction in terms. It is no existence at all. It is merely attributed existence. Therefore, it follows that we, the seer, are indispensable for the existence of the world. Seer alone is responsible for the existence of the world. But the reality of the seer himself is questionable. When the reality of the seer is enquired, it merges into that which is, and True Existence-Consciousness is revealed; and the world and the seer of the world are not to be in this Revelation.

Therefore, the world neither exists by itself, nor is it conscious of its existence. So, seeing, observing, or exploring the whole world and forgetting the seer, observer, or the explorer, himself, is, in my view, another contradiction in terms.

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 16, 2011, 12:01:19 PM »

Dear Anil,

Self - Arunachala is achalam, non moving,

All else - Prapanacham - that which is made up of five elements -
are chalam - moving.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 16, 2011, 04:29:26 PM »

“Self - Arunachala is achalam, non moving,

All else - Prapanacham - that which is made up of five elements -
are chalam - moving.”

Ji. Yes. Says Sri Bhagwan:

“In the court of (Chidambram), Siva, though motionless by nature, dances in rapture before His Shakti who stands still. Know that in Arunachala He stands in His solemnity and she withdraws there into His Unmoving Self.”
                         V. 1, Nava Mani Malai, (Necklace of Nine Gems)

Sri Arunachala is ‘Ardhanarishwar’, that is, in Sri Arunachala the Mother withdraws into His Unmoving Self. However, how do you see the first line of the Verse?

‘A’, ‘ru’, and ‘na’ signify Sat, Chi, and Ananda (Being, Consciousness, and Bliss), or again the Supreme Self, the individual Self, and their union as the one absolute, expressed in the mahavakya ‘That thou art’; ‘achala’ signifies perfection. So worship Arunachala of shining golden lustre; for mere remembrance of Him ensures deliverance.
                          V. 2, Nava Mani Malai, Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi

Prof. Sri K. Swaminathan in his book ‘Ramana Maharshi’ writes that in ‘Nava Mani Malai’, each stanza has a distinct prosodic form and the whole is thus a tour de force. In my view, every composition of Sri Bhagwan is a tour de force. Sri Bhagwan’s works have been, undoubtedly, translated by able, worthy, and knowing devotees. However, for those who do not know Tamil, the prosodic patterns of sound and rhythms are not easily discernible. This is the reason why I wish to learn Tamil as soon as possible. But living in Patna, Bihar, I do not know how it can be done. Perhaps, that is my karma, that is how it is ordained and so Sri Bhagwan alone knows the best. Therefore, I do not worry.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »

Dear Anil,

The story of dance of Siva, achalam dancing, as Nataraja has got
puranic backdrop as may be found in Chidambara Maahtmyam, the
story of Chidambaram, by Umapati Sivam. There, there is a dance
competition. Both Sivakamivalli [goddess of Chidambaram] and Nataraja
dance vigorously.  Then to defeat Sivakami, Nataraja makes a trick.
He deliberately makes one of his ear studs [called kuzhai in Tamizh]
to fall down and in the manner of picking it up and then putting it
back in the ear, he raises leg skyward. This is called Urdhava Tandava.
When he does this, Sivakamavalli wonders at it. But at the same time,
she cannot as a woman, can raise her one leg skyward, for the sake
of prudery.  So she stops the dance and accepts her defeat.

She then makes tapas in Arunachala and gets half of Siva's body and
becomes Ardhanari, so that such disputes may not arise in future. Thus
chalam also curls into Achalam.

Paham peNNuru aanai poRRi... says Tiruvachakam. You have become
half woman, salutations to You.

Sri Bhagavan says acchavai. This is,  a + sabha = acchavai in Tamizh.
That Sabha refers to Chidambaram, Hall of Consciousness, Chit Sabha.

Arunachala Siva.           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 17, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
"The story of dance of Siva, achalam dancing, as Nataraja has got
puranic backdrop as may be found in Chidambara Maahtmyam, the
story of Chidambaram, by Umapati Sivam. There, there is a dance
competition. Both Sivakamivalli [goddess of Chidambaram] and Nataraja
dance vigorously.  Then to defeat Sivakami, Nataraja makes a trick.
He deliberately makes one of his ear studs [called kuzhai in Tamizh]
to fall down and in the manner of picking it up and then putting it
back in the ear, he raises leg skyward. This is called Urdhava Tandava.
When he does this, Sivakamavalli wonders at it. But at the same time,
she cannot as a woman, can raise her one leg skyward, for the sake
of prudery.  So she stops the dance and accepts her defeat."

I didn't know anything about the 'dance competition' enacted by the Father and the Mother in Chidambaram, that is Hall of Consciouness. What is the teaching and significance of this story ? However, I learnt in childhood that 'Tandava' was enacted by the Lord to purge the world of the sins and destructive forces.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 17, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji,

To become Ardhanaaneereshwara, there is a different story where Parvathi closed Shiva's eyes as the result whole world became dark.
Shiva got angry and He left her. Parvathi begged Him to forgive where Shiva said to do penance and join Him. Parvathi came to this Bhooloka and did thapas. Shiva pleased Her tapas and gave half of His body. This story is being told during Kedharagowri vratham day.
Anyway, for Bhakthi margam, there are so many vrathams, stories. At the end, it takes us to gnana margam.

with regards
Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 17, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Discussion on the V. 14-27 of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita “ Brahmano hi pratistha’ham or I am the support of the Brahman”  prompts me to discuss a little about the conception of the Personal God or Ishwara also.

Sri Bhagwan says that from the relative standpoint of ignorance, the Personal God who is the supreme Creator of the universe, Bestower of virtue and Punisher of sins does really exist. However, from the standpoint of a Sage, nothing exists other than the Impersonal Absolute or Impersonal, Formless Self. Sri Bhagwan says that Ishwara or the Personal God has individuality in mind and body, but at the same time He also has the transcendental consciousness and liberation inwardly. So, He has a physical body, a form and a name but these are not as gross or material as that of ours.

The form and name of the Personal God are different in different religions. His visions seen are the form created by the devotees themselves. Therefore, His visions are only appearances and His Essence is the same as ours, i.e. the True self one without a second.

Sri Bhagwan says to Sri Paul Brunton that existence of the Personal God is on account of and according to our conception of Ishwara. Let first know whose concept He is. Sri Bhagwan says that if the conceiver of the concept is known other problems will get solved of their own accords.
Personal God or Ishwara or the Creator or God, is the last concept and the last of the unreal forms which must also go away. Only the Absolute Being, or the Self, or the Brahman, or the Absolute Consciousness, is real. So, Sri Bhagwan says that not only the world, not only the ego, but also the Personal God or Ishwara is of unreality. THEREFORE, WE MUST NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN THE ABSOLUTE. WE MUST FIND THE ABSOLUTE. THIS ALONE IS OUR ATMA-SWARUPA, OUR TRUE NATURE. “I am” is the unfailing clue to divinity. Sri Bhagwan says that if that ‘AHAM’’ is known, Personal God, His ‘Adhara’ (Support) and all else are known. 
                                                                                               To continue in the next post

Thank you,
   Anil