Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759048 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1215 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:33 PM »

Dear Anil,

Guru Ramana Vachana Mala - originally in Tamizh is the collection of
teachings of Sri Bhagavan, which were written down in Tamizh by
Muruganar - (prose work). This has been rendered in English by
Sri Lakshmana Sarma in English with the same title. Sri K. Lakshmana
Sarma or WHO is the author of an original work titled  MAHA YOGA. and
Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad and also his own translation of ULLadu
Narpadu, in Sanskrit.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 30, 2011, 07:15:20 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I have read other three compositions of Sri Lakshaman Sarma and I am wonder-struck. Lord Sri Arunachala came with His Divine Court—Sri Muruganar, Sri Ganapati Muni, Sri Lakshman Sarma……. And gave ‘Darshan’ in human guise within the confines of the unreal time and space and the relative world. Nevertheless, He is as He always is, with the same True Nature—‘Achala’ and ‘Mouna’. Thank you so much, sir.

You cited V. 39 of the ULLadu Narpadu in your post, re. 1242 under this topic. I wish to draw your attention to the fact that the translation of this Verse  in ‘The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi’, reads as following :

“Thoughts of bondage and of freedom last only as long as one feels, ‘I am bound’. When one enquires of oneself, ‘Who am I, the bound one ?’ the Self, Eternal, ever free, remains. The thought of bondage goes; and with it goes the thought of freedom too.”

But from Sri sadhu Om’s commentary on this Verse, I understand that Sri Bhagwan also used the Tamil word ‘matta-nai’ which means ‘being a mad man’, one feels (bhadda nan) I am a bound one.

It follows from the above that the Verse conveys that one who feels that he is bound one is like a mad man. However the Verse teaches that when one enquires, ‘Who am I , the individual in bondage ?’, one becomes aware that the individual or the ego is not, ‘I’, the ever-free Self alone exist. And idea of bondage or liberation is only in the realm of thoughts which are dependent for their seeming existence on the individual or the ego. But when the individual himself falls by Enquiry, who will feel bounded or liberated ? Therefore, when the individual himself is found non-existent, no thought whatever concerning individual can be able to stand.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Thambi Thorai of Jaffna had this doubt : Is not also asking the mind to turn inward and seek its source  employing the mind ?
Sri Bhagwan : Of course, we are employing the mind. It is well known and admitted that only with the help of the mind, can the mind be killed.. But instead of setting about saying there is a mind and I want to kill it, you begin to seek its source, and then you find it does not exist at all. The mind turned outwards results in thoughts and objects. Turned inwards it becomes itself the Self.
                                                                                P. 37, Day by Day with Sri Bhagwan

Therefore, how to reconcile the statement that the Self-enquiry is not a mentation, or the mental process; and on the other hand the statement that only with the help of the mind, mind can be killed ? In my view, what Sri Bhagwan means is that mind is not a real entity and therefore should not be taken for granted. Self-enquiry is questioning its very existence by seeking its source. There is no other technique available except Self-enquiry to dispel the illusion of the mind for once and all. Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is the easiest and most efficient way to quell the mind and its myriad creations and regain the Atma-Swarupa.

Some devotees are afraid that when the mind ceases to exist by Enquiry, they will become mindless like dead wood. I do not see why some of us should be so afraid. Sri Bhagwan says that mind turned inward is verily the Self. THEREFORE, IN MY VIEW, CESSATION OF THE MIND BROUGHT ABOUT BY ENQUIRY MEANS TRANSFORMATION OF THE MIND INTO THE SELF. When the mind ceases to exist, what happens is that the Self  or the Pure Consciousness is no longer confined within the narrow limits of individualised mind but becomes One Infinite Eye of Radiant Vision.

Than you,
   Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 30, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

Dear Anil,

This has been beautifully described in Arunachala Ashtakam Verse 5 by
Sri Bhagavan. Yes. It is the  Mind which has to clear the dirt out of mind
and become a pure mind.

English translation by Prof. K. Swaminathan:

Like the string that holds together the gems, in a necklace, You - it is
that penetrate and bind all beings and the various religions. If, like a
gem that is cut and polished, the separate mind is whetted on the grind
stone of the pure universal mind, it will acquire the light of Your Grace,
and shine like a ruby whose brightness is not flawed by any other object.
When once the light of the Sun has fallen on a sensitive plate, will the
plate register another picture? Apart from You, O Aruna Hill, bright,
auspicious does any other thing exist?

The two minds referred to are, Universal Mind and the human mind.         
The Universal mind will is the grindstone and the mind is the dirt filled
gem. It becomes pure with the grinding.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 31, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »

I am again having some problem with regard to net connectivity. Right now I am not able to attend to the discussion as and when I wish.

Ji. Yes, V. 5, Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, is a great revelation indeed. It is priceless for the devotees of Sri Bhagwan in particular and mankind in general. It gives a great metaphysical insight into the Power of the Brahman that is called Mind.

"If, like a
gem that is cut and polished, the separate mind is whetted on the grind
stone of the pure universal mind, it will acquire the light of Your Grace,
and shine like a ruby whose brightness is not flawed by any other object"

It says the same thing. The mind has to clear the dirt out of the mind and become a Pure Mind.  When the separate mind is whetted on the grind stone of the Pure Mind, dirt removed It shines like a ruby free from thoughts. It is the Pure mind which is verily the Self. This is how I understand the Sublime Verse.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 31, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
Dear Devotees,

During Sri Bhagwan’s Presence in a body, it sometimes happened that a devotee, seeing no improvement at all spiritually in himself, would grow impatient and despondent, and would complain to  Sri Bhagwan that he has not progressed at all by coming to Sri Bhagwan. Sri Bhagwan sometimes consoled such despondent devotees and sometimes retorted, “How do you know there is no progress ?’ He used to explain to such impatient devotees that It is the Guru, and not the disciples themselves, who sees the progress made. Therefore, a sincere devotee, who is practicing ‘Atma-Vichara or Self-Enquiry’ and seeking Self-Realisation, should carry on perserveringly with his practice even though the structure being raised may be out of sight of the mind for some time.

Sri Bhagwan says that this question arises because of the feeling on the part of some devotees that, in spite of having been here for so long, heard so much, striven so hard, and yet nothing has been gained so far. In my view, when the Enquiry is pursued with adequate conviction, the great change that gradually starts happening, the mysterious process that goes on inside us, are not apparent to us immediately. But important point to note is that Sri Bhagwan always reassured such devotees compassionately, “GURU IS ALWAYS WITHIN YOU”.

Dear devotees, not only during Sri Bhagwan’s years in the body, even now when He is bodiless, we, sometime or the other, hear some devotes lamenting that they are pursuing Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan for a number of years now but there seems to be no progress in them.

What I wish to say is that it may happen that we may see no apparent improvement in us despite our sincere efforts, but, nevertheless, we must have faith in the Guru. The process bringing about improvement may not be immediately visible to us but we should remember that invisibly the improvement may be the greatest when least apparent.

Dear devotees, when we are in Sri Ramanasramam, or when we are meditating on Sri Bhagwan’s photograph, or even when we merely remember Him, we feel an undercurrent of Unity, of Peace. But it does not last for long. Sri Bhagwan says that it will become constant when the mind is strengthened by Enquiry. Constant practice strengthens the mind. ONLY A STRONG MIND IS CAPABLE OF HOLDING ON TO THE CURRENT, ‘I AM’.

Therefore, dear devotees, practice with perseverance is the key. FAITH IN THE GURU AND THE GURU’S GRACE ARE THE ESSENTIAL CAUSES.

Thank you,
   Anil                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 31, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Guru's grace is always there. But we should become fit vessels
to take the Grace, by doing self surrender or self inquiry with utmost
perseverance.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:35 AM »

“Yes. Guru's grace is always there. But we should become fit vessels
to take the Grace, by doing self surrender or self inquiry with utmost
perseverance.”

Very nice, sir. ‘Becoming fit vessels to take the Grace, by doing self surrender or self enquiry’ is the essence of the sadhana as taught by Sri Bhagwan. I wish to cite V. 3 and V. 4 of the ‘Atma Vidya Kirtanam’ to explain the ‘Play of Grace’ as I understand It.

The thought ‘I am the body’ is the thread
On which are strung together various thoughts.
Questing within, enquiring ‘Who am I?’ all other thoughts
Vanish. And as ‘I’, ‘I’ within the Heart-cave
The Self shines of its own accord.
Such Self-awareness is the only Heaven,
This stillness, this abode of Bliss.
                                         V. 3, Atma Vidya Kirtanam

Of what avail is knowing things
Other than the Self ? And the Self being known,
What other things is there to know ?
That one light that shines as many selves,
Seeing this Self within
As Awareness’ lightening flash;
The play of Grace; the ego’s death;
The blossoming of Bliss.
                                            V. 4, Atma Vidya Kirtanam
        ( Source: The Collected Works Of Sri Ramana Maharshi)
Dear sir, Grace is verily the Self. In the V. 1 of the ‘Atma Vidya Kirtanam’, Sri Bhagwan says that even to the most infirm person, Self, or the Consciousness, ‘I am’, is so very real that in comparison to that Reality even the amlak fruit in one’s palm appears as a mere illusion. Therefore, the Self shines without difference in all the different living beings as the mere Existence-Consciousness ‘I am’. Therefore, to know our True Nature, all we have to do is to attend the Existence-Consciousness ‘I am’ within ourselves. Sri Bhagwan says that attending to ‘I am’ confers Self-Knowledge. Therefore, the Presence of the Existence-Consciousness ‘I am’ in all beings at all times everywhere making it easy to attend to It and hold It is Divine Grace. ‘Merging with It’, ‘Being It’, or ‘the Experience of the Self’, as It is, is the destruction of the ego, shining forth of the Grace, and blossoming of Bliss.

So Sri Bhagwan says:
Lo, very easy is Self-knowledge,
Lo, very easy indeed.

Sri Bhagwan says in V. 3 that the thought that this body made of insentient matter is ‘I’ is the one single thread on which are strung all other thoughts. If one goes within keenly enquiring ‘Who am I?’ and ‘What is the source from where I rise?’, all thoughts including the root thought ‘I am the body’ will perish revealing the Atma-Swarupa which shines forth spontaneously within the Heart-cave as ‘I’-‘I’. When the string is broken what will happen to the flowers? They will be scattered. So also all thoughts will disappear when the first and root thought ‘I am the body’ is destroyed by Enquiry or Surrender.

Dear sir, therefore, what I wish to say is that attending to ever-present Existence-consciousness ‘I am’ is Divine Grace and Its shining forth after the destruction of the ego, either by Enquiry or Surrender, is the ‘SHINING FORTH OF THE GRACE’ AND ‘BLOSSOMING OF BLISS’.

Thank you so much, sir

Regards,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 01, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
Since you alone shine as the Self,
with nothing other than yourself
either to know you,
or to be known by you,
you are the feature-free  jnana
that shines as the essence
of the multitude of the characteristic features
that appear to the mind
that does not enquire !
                          V. 437-40, Ramana Puranam

Dear Devotees,

I alone exist and shine as the Supreme Self. To know ‘I’ or to be known by ‘I’, ‘I am’ is the feature-free Pure Jnana or Pure Knowledge or Pure Intelligence. It is the Essence of all that appears to the mind that does not enquire.
When the mind enquires, finds the Source and merges in It, the demeaning birth that flourishes by holding onto this wretched, worthless block of a body, comes to an end.

Dwelling in the pure space of the Lord’s grace,
witnessing the Lord’s dance of grace,
seated beneath the Lord’s feet of grace,
consuming the ambrosia of the Lord’s grace,
                the demeaning birth that flourishes
                 by holding onto the body being at an end,
they will live in wholeness,
established in unending bliss.
                               V. 537-40, Ramana Puranam

Therefore, dwelling in the Pure Space of the Divine Grace which shines as the Essence of all that appears, one is established in the Wholeness of Grace and Unending Bliss, cutting once and for all the Chit-Jada Granthi, thus freeing one from the demeaning birth and death.

Thank you,
   Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 01, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »

Dear Anil,

Atma Vidya Kirtanam and The Song of Poppodums - appear as simple songs but these have
got great inner meanings.  I am told recently, Nochur Sri Venkataraman, spoke on Atma Vidya
Kirtanam, for 7 days at the rate of 2 hours each day and the crowd enjoyed it immensely in
Chennai.  The CD may be available soon.  However the talk was in Tamizh.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 01, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »

You once mentioned that Nochur Sri Venkataraman started practicing Self-enquiry at a very young age and suceeded. I understand from your posts that he is a great commentator on Sri Bhagwan's Teaching. Has he written any book also ? If yes, is the English tranaslation of the same available ? Has his commentaries been complied and published in a book form ?

Ji. Yes, six Verses of the Atma Vidya Kirtanam contain great inner meaning and are as sublime as the other Original Compositions of Sri Bhagwan. As in the case of other composition, Atma vidya Kirtanam was, perhaps, also composed in respose to a devotee's request.

Thak you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 01, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »

Dear Anil,

Nochur Venkataraman has recently written the biography of Sri Bhagavan in Malayalam, since there
is no biography in Malayalam. He has also written a small book titled Guru Malai on Sri Bhagavan.
As otherwise, he has only given discourses on ULLadu Narpadu, now Atma Vidyakirtanam etc.,
These discourses are in Tamizh and in Palaklad he gives discourses in Malayalam. These are
available in CDs. In Coimbatore and Bangalore, he has given discourses in Sri Ramanaubhavam in
English. This is also available in CDs.  Sri V. Ganesan, says that Nochur is the most shining living
example of Ramana Way.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »
Dear Devotees,

It is recorded that once a French officer came to Sri Bhagwan with a list of questions which concluded with a statement that he wanted no intellectual explanation. He wanted only Experience. After reading the list and the statement, Sri Bhagwan faced the officer and turned His Glance upon him. French officer at once burst out, “No, no, not now, not now….., I am not ready yet, I shall come later”.

That’s it. We are not ready yet. Ego is still dear. Is it not ? Yes, it is. We are afraid. At least ego is known and one is well acquainted with it. One is afraid to enter the realm of the unknown. So, it follows that we are not fully convinced. We still believe that this body, this world, sense objects etc. are facts which can neither be denied nor can be ignored and therefore they constantly need our attention and energy. We are still not certain that what so far we believed and what so far we have taken to be ‘ourselves’, all is mere appearance, mere illusion, and ignorance.     

Sri Bhagwa says that Self-enquiry is the Straight Path and the only adequate and infallible means by means of which we can attain Self-realisation. We are even drawn to the process of the enquiry. We practice it. But despite Sri Bhagwan’s assurance, we are still not fully convinced and express doubt, ‘Is Self-enquiry enough ?’ This simply implies that we are yet not irreversibly and irresistibly drawn to the Enquiry. We offer excuses to ourselves at every step to escape Enquiry.
I am afraid. Various things are still to be attended.These are distractions in the pursuit.
Obstacles will always be there as Sri Bhagwann said to Sri Annamalai Swami. We ought to motivate ourselves to ask, ’To whom this fear ?’ We must have the courage to ask, ‘Who is afraid ?’ For all these are thoughts only—ephemeral and fleeting thoughts. Why do we entertain the unreal thoughts created by the illusory ego and still has the temerity to say that we do not have peace and happiness and  and we  are restless ? Yes, we still are not fully convinced that what have taken to be ‘ourselves’ so far is all unreal and totally false as the water in the mirage, mere illusory appearance. We do not have the single-minded purpose and ardent longing to know the Truth of ‘ourselves’.

Dear devotees, as we all are aware, at least intellectually, that all are mere imagination, mere unreal thoughts. We should eschew from all thoughts. Sri Bhagwan says that even longing to attain Realisation is a thought and it must also ultimately disappear. Of course, such thoughts as desire for knowing the Truth, that the world is like a dream, etc. are helpful in that they stoke the Fire of Knowledge before being consumed by the Knowledge Itself.

Therefore, every thought must go away, even thought of Enquiry must disappear. We must also be convinced that what we have known along so far is not the Truth at all, only then we can take up Enquiry with our utmost capacity and with full intensity. Only then the Self-enquiry results in spontaneous Self-attention. Then we say ‘no’ to every figment of imagination created by the ego. Only attention remains. AND SPONTANEOUS SELF-ATTENTION IS ENOUGH, CERTAINLY MORE THAN CENT-PERCENT ENOUGH.

Thank you,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
"In Coimbatore and Bangalore, he has given discourses in Sri Ramanaubhavam in
English. This is also available in CDs.  Sri V. Ganesan, says that Nochur is the most shining living
example of Ramana Way."

Thank you so much for posting specific informations about Nochur Sri Venkataraman and the books he has written and abou CDs of his discourses. I am particularly interested in the CDs of his discourses in 'Sri Ramananubhavam'. Kindly also tell me how can I get these CDs ?

Besides, sometimes, I feel a strong urge from within to meet him in person. Has he an Ashram of his own. Is there a permanent residence for him? Does he meet in person the devotees of sri Bhagwan ? I wish to meet him during my next visit to South India and Sri Ramanasramam.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

Dear Anil,

Nochur Venkataraman has completed the six yearly lectures of seven days, each time and thus
completed the 42 verses of ULLadu Narpadu.  These were done in Chennai and not in Asramam,
He has also been doing ULLadu Narpadu in Asramam, but when and how many days, each time,
I do not know.

These CDs are in great demand and so the Asramam has no stocks of these right now. It  may
become available again in future. Nochur is always on tour. But for important days like
Jayanti, Aradhana etc., he is in Tiruvannamalai in his own house and visits Asramam and
take food there.  Only during that time, you can meet him.  Recently he has done Atma Vidya
Kirtanam in Tamizh in Chennai. I got this CD through a friend of mine only today. But this
discourse is in Tamizh.

Arunachala Siva.