Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756317 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1200 on: July 26, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »

Dear Anil,

It is called Maha Yoga, since it transcends all the other four
yogas.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:28 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Ramanayoga transcends all other yogas and, therefore, It is Mahayoga. All other yogas are  preparatory to Sri Bhagwan’s Mahayoga. Essence of  Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching can be summarised in His Statement that ”abiding in the Self or the Egoless State is the best tapas”. Being the Self is the highest tapas. Sri Bhagwan’s Yoga teaches that we all are realised here and now and sadhana is only to remove the wrong idea that we are not. There is really no individual self to extinguish, in fact it never existed. Besides, all other paths employ mind. But obviously, for the Realisation of the Self, no amount of mental sadhana can be helpful; for it will only extend the frontiers of its own ignorance. The purpose of the Self-enquiry is to focus the entire mind at its source. Therefore, the Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is the means as well as the Goal. It is Mahayoga—all other yogas are contained It.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 27, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »
Sri Bhagwan :
“All questions relating to mukti are inadmissible because mukti means release from bondage, which implies the present existence of bondage. There is no bondage and therefore no mukti either.”
                                             P. 132, The Power of the Presence, Part Three

Dear Devotees,

Since there is no movement in the Self, in fact, it is impossible to argue that the Maya has veiled our Real nature causing bondage and now I want liberation by destroying the power of the maya to do so. For, such argument itself is the admission or affirmation of duality and denial of the Truth of Non-Duality. Non-Dual Reality is One Perfect Purity and Stillness. In such Perfect and Pure STILLNESS there can be no show of Maya—either veiling, or projecting, or reflecting. Reality is One Whole, like the ether, formless, unstained, and actionless. So, the scriptures proclaim :
There is in truth no creation and no destruction; no one is bound and no one is seeking liberation, no one is on the way to Deliverance. There are none liberated. This is the absolute truth.”

Therefore, all these mean that existence of all that is seen, known, affirmed and denied are merely superimpositions, depending solely on the mind for their appearance and disappearance, of course on the Substratum of the unattached, indestructible, non-dual, Absolute  Self. They have no reality. Just like the appearance and disappearance of a snake in a rope has no basis in Reality.  Is there a time when the snake in the rope is real ? No, it is always imaginary. So also, bondage and liberation are merely the fantastic imagination of the mind without any existence in the Reality and superimposed on the Immaculate Self.     

Therefore, in my view, as is obvious from Sri Bhagwan’s quoted Statement, the Essence of Teaching  to a ripe soul is that there is no bondage and therefore no liberation either. Cease thinking, talking, discussing……. and ‘be’ and know the Absolute Truth for ourselves. AND REMAIN FOR EVER AS WE TRULY ARE. Till then the mind is in operation and Maya’s display goes on.

Thank you,
    Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 27, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »

Dear Anil,

The bondage and liberation are only thoughts.  The thinking process only makes one
to think that he is bound or he is free.

The Self is eternal. One enquires Who am ? and succeeds in his enquiry, he realizes his
true nature that is, the Self.

Sri Bhagavan describes this in Verse 30 of ULLadu Narpadu:

Thoughts of bondage and of freedom  last only as long as one feels "I am bound."
When one enquires of oneself - "Who am I?, the bound one?, the Self, Eternal, Everfree remains.
The thought of bondage goes and with it goes the thought of freedom too.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »

The Verse in my post is Verse 39 of UN and not 30.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 27, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om says in V. I, Atma Vichara Patikam, that thinking is a mentation, a vritti. Being is not a mentation ! If enquired, ’Who thinks ?’, thinking will cease. Even when thoughts do not exist, do we cease to exist ?
No. Our Atma-Swarupa  is free from thoughts. Thoughtless State is the Egoless State and the Egoless State is the Natural State, our Atma-Swarupa. We identify with our thoughts and some devotees expressed apprehension even to Sri Bhagwan  that when they achieve Thought-free State, they are afraid that they will become blank and therefore how will they be able to discharge worldly functions ? Sri Bhagwan says that actions become spontaneous, automatic. Sri Bhagwan Himself has emphatically clarified that Realisation is not a state of indolence. One does not become an idiot. His Own Example is there for all of us to understand. Sri Bhagwan says that we exist even without mind as in deep sleep etc.

Therefore, to remain in thoughts is sheer ignorance. To remain in the Source of thoughts is the State of Self-abidance--Atma Swarupa.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 27, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

Dear Anil,

Arthur Osborne says in his book My Life and Quest:

All this neti neti is only a mental introduction to Self Enquiry.. But Self Inquiry as He taught is not mental but spiritual exercise. Therefore all mental answers or verbal answers are wrong. Any
answer that the mind gives is wrong. To give an answer means mistaking for a philosophical
conundrum what is in fact a spiritual exercise. The enquiry Who am I? is really to find out
the source of ego or I-thought.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 28, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much, sir, for reiterating that ‘neti-neti’ is the mental introduction to the Self-enquiry. Indeed, the neti-neti- is the mental introduction to the Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan. My understanding  with regard to the ‘neti-neti’ is as follows :
We are the Self. But we identify ourselves wrongly with the body, mind, senses, intellect etc. So, we proceed to discard in the manner ‘I am not this-not this’ and remain silent. For, if we eliminate everything as not this-not this, there comes a stage when nothing remains to eliminate. Silence remains. The Silence is eloquent and points out to the Real.
We can eliminate everything but not ourselves. But Sri Bhagwan says that everything is eliminated holding on to ourselves. Therefore, hold on to that one which cannot be eliminated. That is alone the Reality.

Sri Bhagwan says that you are told that you are not this body, nor this mind, nor the intellect, nor the ego, nor anything you can think of. So, who you are ? FIND OUT WHAT YOU TRULY ARE. But if everything is discarded and nothing further remains to be discarded, Silence will prevail. This Silence is eloquent and very powerfully points out that THE QUESTIONER HIMSELF IS THE SELF.

Sri Bhagwan draws analogy with the ‘maiden’ in the ‘svayamber’. She goes on saying ‘no’ to each one until she finds and faces the man of her choice. Sri Bhagwan says that she then looks downward and remains silent. What happens ? THE MAN OF HER PREFERENCE IS ELOQUENTLY POINTED OUT. SO ALSO THE REAL ‘I’ , THE SWARUPA, IS POINTED OUT WHEN WE ELIMINATE EVERYTHING BUT ‘US’AND REMAIN SILENT.

You have very rightly mentioned in your post that any reply suggested would only be mental and is mistaking for philosophical conundrum what is essentially an spiritual exercise.  Sri Bhagwan says that this should not be done. When the mind reaches its Source, the ‘reply’ emerges from the Core of the Heart of its own accord.   

Regards,
 Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 28, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Who can fathom a Jnanai ? Sri Bhagwan was said to be very sympathetic and tender to devotees who thought themselves to be miserable sinners for some reason or the other. In this context I read a conversation which impacted me deeply, and I am certain that you will also be deeply affected and moved by reading this conversation , which is as follows :

After the dinner, when the devotees were gathering around the well, a visitor suddenly started crying bitterly.
D : I am a horrible sinner. For a long time I have been coming to your feet, but there is no change in me. Can I become pure at last ? How long am I to wait ? When I am here near you I am good for a time. But when I leave this place I am a beast again. You cannot imagine how bad I can be—hardly a human being. Am I to remain a sinner for ever ?
Sri Bhagwan : Why do you come to me ? What I have to do with you ? What is there between us that you should come here and weep and cry in front of me ?
The devotee was disheartened to hear this answer and started wailing even more as if his heart was breaking.
D : All my hopes of salvation are gone. You were my last refuse and you say you have nothing to with me ! To whom shall I turn now ? What am I to do ? To whom am I to go ?
Sri Bhagwan watching him intently said : Am I your Guru that I should be responsible for your salvation ? Have I ever said that I am your master ?
D : If you are not my master, then who is ? And who are you, if not my master ? You are my guru, you are my guardian angel, you will pity me and release me from my sins ! And he started sobbing and crying again.
Other devotees listening this conversation sat silent, overcome with pity. But Sri Bhawan appeared alert and matter-of fact.
Sri Bhawan : If I am your guru, what are my fees ? Surely you should pay for my services.
D : But you won’t take anything. What can I give you ?
Sri Bhagwan : Did I ever say that I don’t take anything ? And did you ever ask me what you can give me ?
D : If you would take, then ask me ; there is nothing I would not give you.
 Sri Bhagwan : All right. Now I am asking . Give me. What will you give me ?
D : Take anything, all is yours.
Sri Bhagwan : Then give me all the good you have done in this world.
D : What good have I done ? I have not a single virtue to my credit.
Sri Bhagwan : You have promised me to give. Now give. Now don’t talk of your credit. Just give away all the good you have done in your past.
D : Yes, I shall give. But how does one give ?
Sri Bhagwan : Say like this , ‘All the good I have done in the past I am giving entirely to my guru. Henceforth I have no merit from it nor have I any concern with it. Say it with your whole heart.
D : All right, Swami, I am giving away to you all the good I have done so far if I have done any, and all its good effects. I am giving it to you gladly. For you are my master and you are asking me to give it all away to you.
Sri Bhagwan said sternly : But this is not enough.
D : But I gave you all I have and all you asked me to give. I have nothing more to give.
Sri Bhagwan : No, you have. Give me all your sins.
Hearing this, the devotee looked wildly at Sri Bhagwan and was terror stricken.
D : You do not know, Swami, what you are asking for. If you knew, you would not ask me. If you take over my sins, your body will rot and burn. You do not know me, and you do know my sins. And he wept bitterly.
Sri Bhagwan : I shall look after myself, don’t worry about me. All I want from you is your sins.
The author records that for a long time bargain would not go through. The devotee refused to part with his sins but Sri Bhagwan remained adamant.
Sri Bhagwan : Either give me your sins along with your merits, or keep both and don’t think of me as your master.
At last the devotee’s resistance broke down and he solemnly declared : Whatever sins I have done, they are no longer mine. All of them and their results, too, belong to Ramana.
Sri Bhagwan was satisfied.
Sri Bhagwan : From now on there is neither good nor bad in you. YOU ARE JUST PURE. Go and do nothing, neither good nor bad. REMAIN YOURSELF, REMAIN WHAT YOU ARE.
The author records that a great peace fell over the man and over all those who were present and listening to this conversation. No one knows what happened to the fortunate devotee. He never came to Ashram again, for he might have been in no further need of coming to Him.
                                          (Source : Ramana Smirti, A Birth Centenary Offering—1980)

SUCH IS BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA !
Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »

Dear Anil,

This is an  interesting conversation.  Sri Bhagavan assured the devotee
that He had taken all his merits and sins and he could start of immediately
thereafter to do self enquiry or self surrender to attain godhead. I think
no other guru has given this assurance to any devotee. Even with
PerumaL Swami, when he cried during his last days, that he would definitely
go to hell for all that he had done to Sri Bhagavan, Sri Bhagavan said:
"Do not worry. If you go to hell I shall be there to protect you.  I have
forgiven you but not forgotten you."

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 28, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »

Ji. Yes, thank you so much, sir. This is unique. I also do not know any Sadguru bestowing such Grace on a devotee who thinks that he is a pathological sinner. The closest I remember is Lord Buddha who bestowed such Grace on a notorious criminal and thus saved him.

The same book says that Sri Bhagwan didn’t often respond in such manner when other such devotees came wailing that they are being crushed under the enormity of their sins. For example, when on an another occasion, another devotee started sobbing and crying that he is a sinner,  Sri Bhagwan responds thus :
Sri Bhagwan : When you sleep, are you a sinner ?
D : No, I am just asleep. I am neither good nor bad when I am asleep. I know nothing about myself. Sri Bhagwan : And what do you know about yourself now ? You say you are as sinner.  What do we know about good and evil except what is in your mind ? When you see that mind invents everything, all will vanish. The good will vanish, the evil will vanish, and you will remain as you are.

Yet, on an another occasion, when a devotee said to Sri Bhagwan, weeping copiously and piteously, that although he came to Him many times, he saw no change in himself. He said that he was a weakling of a man and an inveterate sinner. Sri Bhagwan replies compassionately thus :
Sri Bhagwan : On this road there are no milestones. How can you know which direction you are going ?
Sri Bhagwan told this devotee that at least he could trust his Guru as much as a first class railway passenger trusted the railway guard. First class railway passenger tells the guard about his destination, shuts the door and windows and goes to sleep.
Sri Bhagwan is the Seer of our minds. He knows all. Therefore, He is said to shower extraordinary Grace on even those, who in the eyes of the onlookers, were not so deserving. But the question is who are we to know who are deserving and who are not so deserving?

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 28, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »

Dear Anil,

There is another rare case. There was one Ms. Noye. She used to come
to the Hall and simply weep, out of her tremendous love for Sri Bhagavan
and His ever flowing grace.  Sri Bhagavan then mentioned that there was
one Azhuguni [azhuthal - weeping; azhuguni - ever weeping] Siddhar. This
Siddhar used to weep by seeing Siva in temples. Simply weep out of
tremendous love and devotion. Not for seeking wealth or health.

Devaraja Mudaliar said: "Ms. Noye got Sri Bhagavan's abundant grace
by merely weeping before Him."  It is true.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 29, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that what is required is to remain always fixed in the Self. But there are two obstacles to overcome before one is able to do that, namely, distraction by things of the world on the one hand and ‘sleep’ on the other hand. Things of the world include sense objects, desires and tendencies. But these are mere thoughts.  During meditation, or Enquiry, thoughts are always lurking round the corner to sabotage the meditation the moment one slips down from the vigilance and spell is effectively broken. However, Sri Bhagwan has taught how to deal with the distracting thoughts effectively and efficiently. The second obstacle that prevents us from remaining fixed in the Self is the ‘sleep’.

Sleep has always been mentioned in the scriptures as the first obstacles to Samadhi and various methods have been suggested to tackle and overcome it depending upon the stage of the evolution of the person concerned. Srimad Bhagvad Gita says that one should not give up sleep entirely, but certainly one should restrict it. Restriction means that one should not sleep in the day time. Even in the night one shoud restrict it and sleep only in the middle portion, i.e. from approx. about 10 P.M. to 2 A.M.

However, Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Day By Day With Bhagwan’ that another method is not to bother about the sleep at all. “Whenever it overtakes you, you can do nothing about it, so simply remain fixed in the Self or in meditation every moment of your waking life and take up meditation again the moment you wake, and that will be enough”.  Sri Bhagwan says that if we so remain fixed in the Self or in meditation every moment of our waking time, the same current of meditation will be working even during the sleep. It is our own experience, as is evident from the discussion under this topic, that when we go to sleep with any strong thought, we find the same thought present when we wake up. Sri Bhagwan says that if this is done with meditation, it is of such meditator that IT IS SAID THAT EVEN SLEEP IS SAMADHI.

Dear devotees, it follows from the above discussion that on the one hand thoughts are distraction and sleep is a danger on the other hand. As in the case of thoughts, a beginner on a spiritual path is assailed by rush of myriad thoughts, so also he is assailed by an overpowering wave of sleepiness whenever he is engaged in meditation or enquiry. If he breaks the meditation, this passes off and he does not feel sleepy at all.

THEREFORE, OVERPOWERING WAVE OF SLEEPINESS DURING MEDITATION, OR ENQUIRY, IS SIMPLY ONE FORM OF THE EGO’S RESISTANCE AND IT MUST BE BROKEN DOWN.     

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan used to say that sleep is for the mind only and body
needs only rest.  Only when thoughts are overcrowding in the mind,
one needs to sleep.  Because the thoughts heat up the brain and
you become confused and confounded.  Whereas the body after
some work only needs rest and no sleep.

In Guru Ramana Vachana Mala, Sri Lakshmana Sarma says:

When there is an end of the impurity of the mind, which is beginningless
and which is the root cause of the states of waking and dream,  then
this state of dull, dreamless sleep will itself become transformed into
the state of transcendental Consciousness, which is the Natural State
of the Self.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

Ji. Yes, thank you so much, sir. Sleep is only for the mind, body needs rest only. There is no doubt about that in my mind. It is the thought-tortured mind that needs sleep.

The verse of the Guru Vachna Mala is beautiful. When there is no impurity in the mind, the dull and dreamless sleep itself is transformed into Transcendental Consciousness. The Dull sleep itself becomes Samadhi.

Is Guru Vachna Mala is the original composition of Sri L. Sarma ? Kindly tell me something about the composition. I, at present, do not have a copy of the same.

Regards,
  Anil