Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758490 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1185 on: July 23, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »
Dear Devotees,

If the Self-enquiry or the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is pursued whole-heartedly with perseverance, it automatically turns one’s attention away from the second and third persons to the first person; that is to say that it effects a severance between the world and one’s self. Attention is now on one’s self. It has been said that the Self-attention is attention to God, or the Self attention is committing suicide. For, ego-self being unreal, it cannot sustain for long the intense search-light of the Enquiry and therefore is certain to subside. When it will happen, Sadguru alone knows. We should remember that one can make effort up to a certain point only. Once this state of effortlessness is reached, it is impossible to make any further efforts. Sri Bhagwan says that thereafter the Divine Itself takes care. In fact, no individual is left to make any further efforts. Divine Grace alone can confer Self-Realisation. We should never forget that the Divine Grace is the Primary and essential Cause in God-Realisation.

Dear devotees, when the attention is effectively shifted to the first person away from the second and third person, the first palpable outcome is slowing down of the speed with which thoughts keep on arising from the Heart. They become gradually slower and slower and one reaches a stage when one recognises that a single thought arises, stays for a while and then subsides. And before the another thought arises, there is an interval, a gap. This time interval between two consecutive thoughts goes on increasing with practice and perseverance. Since a thought arises in the Consciousness and again sinks in the Consciousness, there will be only Consciousness in the interval between the two consecutive thoughts. Therefore, it follows that when a thought sinks and before another thought ensues, one remains as the Consciousness only. There is no world, no body, nothing. Individual effort is possible up to this point. Then the Divine Itself takes care.

Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Who am I ?’ that as long as there are impressions of objects in the mind, so long the enquiry  ’Who am I ?’is required. As each thought arises one should enquire with diligence,”To whom has this thought arisen ?”, ” To me ?”, “Who am I?” The mind will go back to its source and the thought that arose will become quiescent. With repeated practice in this manner  the mind will develop skill to stay in its source.     

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan compares this method to an enemy’s fortress in seize. Each enemy soldier is killed one by one as they emerge till the fortress finally falls into the hands of the seizing army. But if all the soldiers in the fortress rally forth at once, it will be difficult to repulse and kill them. So also, contrary to rush of thoughts,  if one is able to discern a thought at a time, it is easy to tackle it by tracing it to its source and thus kill it. Therefore, first slowing down the speed of the thoughts, then discerning and catching it and then by seeking its source it should be destroyed. As long as there are impressions of objects in the mind, thoughts will sally forth. If the aforesaid method is continued, by Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, one can without doubt reach THAT and abide as one’s True Being. DO NOT FORGET THAT SRI BHAGWAN IS THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF IN THE BATTLE FIELD OF ROYAL VICHARA. THIS FAITH CANNOT FAIL US.

Thank you,
  Anil               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 23, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan used to say that mind plus illumination is the Jivatma.
When the mind dissolves into illumination, then one becomes
merged with Paramatman. This is possible only through self inquiry
and / or self surrender.  Either kill the ego and be still, you will realize
Him or surrender the ego completely through bhakti and saranagati
and you will realize Him.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 23, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan used to say that mind plus illumination is the Jivatma.
When the mind dissolves into illumination, then one becomes
merged with Paramatman.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

The Power of the Presence, Part Three, says that other than Sri Muruganar, Sri Laksman Sarma is the only person who was given extensive private lessons by Sri Bhagwan on the meaning of His written works. The book further mentions that these instructions put Sri Laksman Sarma in a highly qualified position among commentators on Sri Bhagwan's Teachings and philosophy.

I also came to know that Sri Sarma's commentary on the ULLadu Narpadu was considered the best by Sri Bhagwan Himself. I have also come to know that this commentary was published in a book form by first Sri sarma himself.  Is this commentary still available ? If, yes, how can I get it easily ?

Dear sir, mind plus illumination is jivatma. When the mind dissolves into illumuianation, then one becomes merged with Parmatman. Sri Sarma says the same thing thus :

"The one Self, who is motionless by nature, appears to dance because of his own power. But when that power merges into the motionless essence, there will shine the one motionless Self as the sole Reality." 
                                                                     V. 444, Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 23, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Lakshmana Sarma's commentary on Sad Darsanam is called
Truth Revealed or Revelation.  Here he has also changed the style of Ganapati
Muni's verses in various places and has written his own commentary
on that. 

Arunachala Siva,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 24, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »

I gather from reading ‘The Power of the Presence’ that the two works, namely Sri Ganapati Muni’s Sat Darshanam and Sri Kapali Sastri’s commentary on it were printed and published under the title ‘Sat Darshana Bhashya’.  However, the book records that in earlier editions of the ‘Bhashya’, all possible efforts had been made to appear that Sri Bhagwan did not teach advaita. But in later editions the differences between Sri Muni’s and Sri Bhagwan’s Teachings were less obvious. The Power of the Presence also records ( P. 168, Part Three) that when these aberrations were brought to Sri Bhagwan’s notice, He is reported to have remarked that Sri Muni and his disciples were ardent adherents of the Sakta cult, implying thereby their unwillingness to allow advaita teachings to be conveyed as the genuine teachings of the Master.   

Dear sir, I have with me a copy of the ninth edition of the same ‘Sat Darshana Bhashya’ and I do not detect such discrepancy and aberration in it.

I knew all along that ‘Rvelation’, authored by Sri Lakshman Sarma, is the translation of the ULLadu Narpadu into Sanskrit. And that he wrote a separate commentary, verse by verse, as well which must also be available in some form or other even now. However, by going through the detailed information regarding this, contained in the ‘Power of the Presence’, I now feel that I understand what happened.   

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »

The 'Introduction' to the ninth edition of 'Sat-darshana Bhashya' starts with the well known passages of the Upanishads, such as, "Existence alone was in the geginning", " All this verily is Brahman", etc. The book also seems to subscribe to the great Advaita reveled in the Upanishad "Thisis full and that is full; out of fullness , fullness is lifted up.Fullness being taken from fullness, fullness alone remains". Even the verses and commentaries seem to subscribe to Sri Bhagwan's Advaitic Teaching. May be that later editions were published in which the seeming gap might have been bridged and discrepancies done away with.

Thank you so much, sir

Regards,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 24, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
Contd from my post, re. 1221

“When the mind turns inward seeking  ‘Who am I?’ and merges in the Heart, then the ‘I’ hangs down his head in shame and the One ‘I’ appears as Itself. Though it appears as ‘I-I’, it is not the ego. It is Reality, Perfection, the Substance of the Self.”
                                                                    V. 30, ULLadu Narpadu

“Where this ‘I’ dies, there and then shines forth spontaneously the One as ‘I-I’. That alone is the Whole (Purnam)”
                                                                     V. 20, Upadesa Saram

Dear Devotees,

The second and third persons depend on the first person or the ego-I for their existence.  “He became ‘I’ named”, says the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad. So, God cannot be second or a third person. Why ? Because if God were one of the second or third persons, He would depend on the ego for His existence which is ridiculous. Therefore, God who is Himself Existence-Consciousness ( Sat-Chit), cannot depend on anything else for His Existence, for such a position would compromise His Godhood which is not acceptable. God can never be a second or a third person. Therefore, it is obvious from this discussion that God exists and shines as the Source from where the first person, or ego-‘I’ arises or AS THE REALITY OF THE FIRST PERSON.

Dear devotees, in my view, it was for Bhagwan Sri Ramana, The Maha Guru to give to the mankind true import of the word ‘I’.  For, up till now the basic meaning of the word ‘I’, as commonly understood, and as given by the scriptures has been only the consciousness ‘I am the body’ or the consciousness associated with the ego, i.e. the reflected consciousness or the objectified consciousness. But the Maha Guru taught us that the True Import of the word ‘I’ is the Self Itself, the Pure Consciousness which is the Source of the rising and resolving ego-‘I’ consciousness.

Dear devotees, in the cited V. 30, ULLadu Narpadu and V. 20, Upadesa Saram, Sri Bhagwan says that when the ego-‘I’ dies or merges in the Source, Reality, i.e. the Self shines forth as ‘I-I’. Why does Sri Bhagwan say that the Reality shines forth as two I’s as ‘I-I’ ? The term ‘I-I’ implies continuity of the experience. The second ‘I’ is used to confirm the experience and certainly has not been used to imply the subsequent experience.

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 24, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan has said H.C. Khanna, of Kanpur that I is the
mantra more potent than even Om.  He told his wife, even
if you do not have time to do anything, please keep on chanting
within lips I, I, I  in your various household chores.  I is the
name of God, the Self.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:04 AM »

Sri Bhagwan says,”Objects can be differentiated by means of their names and forms, whereas each one’s name is ‘I’. Ask anyone, he says ‘I’ and speaks of himself as ‘I’, even if He is Isvara. His name too is ‘I’ only.” (Talk no. 582)

Therefore, the body is obviously not ‘I’. Ratther the body as well as all else is in ‘I’. Sri Bhagwan says that if all these are wiped out entirely, the residual Peace is ‘I’. This is Samadhi. This is ‘I’.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan says that we are always repeating the mantra automatically. If we are not aware of the UNSPOKEN CHANT (Ajapa) which is eternally going on, we take to japa with an effort. This effort is meant to ward off the other thoughts. This achieved, japa becomes mental and internal. And finally, Sri Bhagwan says that ‘Ajapa’, which is our Eternal Nature, is realised. Then it is realised that UNSPOKEN CHANT ‘I AM’ IS ETERNALLY GOING ON WITHOUT OUR EFFORT. THAT I AM. 

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:53 AM »
Dear Devotees,

After the passing away of the physical body of Sri Bhagwan, it is recorded that many devotees felt the need for a living Guru and therefore they went away from Sri Ramanasramam only to return back later on. Even now, I read that some devotees who are drawn to Sri Bhagwan cannot keep away the feeling for the need of a living Guru. WELL, BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA IS THE LIVING GURU, SO IS LORD KRISHNA ! I wish to narrate a story in this context as follows :

Old devotee Sri Natesa Iyer worked in Sri ramanasramam’s kitchen from Sri Bhagwan’s days. Sri V. Ganesan has recorded that a few years after the passing away of Sri Bhagwan’s body, when he approached the Ashram gate, he was surprised to see Sri Natesa Iyer seated outside on the steps of the Dakshinamurti Temple. Sri Ganesan wondered what Sri Iyer was doing there instead of working in the kitchen. So he asked him why he was sitting there.
Sri Iyer : “I have been sitting here for several days because the ashram management has asked me to leave. I have no other place to go. This is my Sadguru’s ashram. Where else can I go ? I have decided to sit here because this is the closest I can get to the ashram.”
Sri Ganesan records that Sri Iyer told all this without any anger or any sense of resentment. And that he would have been quite content to spend the rest of his life sitting quietly outside the ashram gate. But Sri Ganesan did not take it so placidly and was annoyed that such a good and old devotees, after so many years of service, had been treated by the Ashram management in this manner. So, he went to his father, the then President, and pleaded that Sri Iyer should be taken back in the Ashram. However, the President refused to take him back.

Deeply agitated by this incidence, Sri Ganesan went to see Sri Muruganar, and with tears in his eyes, he narrated how the expulsion of Sri Iyer made him very angry and upset.
Sri Muruganar gave him a mischievous smile and asked, “ Why are you telling me about this problem ?”
“Because you are the senior-most devotee here. I am looking to you because I believe that what has happened is completely unfair.”, replied Sri Ganesan.
Sri Muruganar : You could have gone directly to Bhagwan and told him about this problem, he said. ‘Why did you come to me? Did you feel that you had to tell your story to a living human being? IS NOT BHAGWAN STILL ALIVE, AND WILL HE NOT LISTEN TO YOU IF YOU GO TO HIS SHRINE AND UNBURDEN YOURSELF THERE? Go to the shrine and tell him this story. Shout it as loudly as you are shouting it here. He will not only listen to you, he will also take appropriate action. HAVE FAITH IN Bhagwan.

Sri Ganesan says that he was thrilled by this answer and he knew in his heart all along that it was the best thing to do. So, he went to the Shrine and shouted as loudly as he could, “Bhagwan ! Injustice has been done to Natesa Iyer ! My heart aches ! Please allow him to come back to his job in the ashram !” Unburdening himself thus, he prostrated and proceeded on Pradakshina, confident that Sri Bhagwan would take care of the problem.
Yes, Sri Bhagwan took care of the problem, for ihe following morning Sri V. Ganesan saw Sri Natesa Iyer working in his usual place in the kitchen.
                                                                                         (Source: The Power Of The Presence, Part Three)

Dear devotees, this story is itself an education for those who believe otherwise. I need not make any comment, nor can I do so, for my heart is filled with joy and eyes with tears.

Thank you,
    Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 25, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  Three years after Sri Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana, it was a great problem for the Asramam
in all aspects.  The devotees' contribution became almost nil.  The entire Ramana Nagar was
vacated and there was no one there. Only Chadwick  Muruganar, Kunju Swami and a few others
remained. However, soon the people who went in search of a living guru came back because
their minds became restless and all the ego's mischief had restarted.  So, after 1952-53, the crowd
started coming back and the kitchen was operated in full swing, and the income increased to feed
the inmates and visitors.  Only those who had remained there in difficult periods, were the ones
who really understood that Sri Bhagavan was an ever living Guru and He had not gone away.

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »

Magical Name Bhagwan Sri Ramana is for ever. Sadguru Sri Ramana will always be there for all times. We should not forget that Lord Sri Krishna, Lord Buddha, Sri Jesus , Sri Ramkrishna, and Sri Ramana are the Self  and therefore eternal.  We should not superimpose our own ‘I am the Body’ idea on the Guru.
Devotee: He ( Sri Krishna) taught others while he was alive. Those around him must have realised; I seek a similar living guru.
Sri Bhagwan : Is Gita then useless after Krishna withdrew his body ?
Devotee: But I want a living Guru who can teach the truth first hand.
Sri Bhagwan : The fate of that Guru would be similar to the fate of Krishna.

At the time of Nirvana Sri Bhawan said, “Where can I go ? I am here”.  Sri Bhagwan is ever the bodiless Self. The apparent body was the part of a divine drama enacted for our supreme good by Lord Sri Arunachaleshwara Himself. Therefore, it would be great folly indeed if we doubt in His continued Presence.

Besides, why should we need any testimony to believe in His continued Presence ? We ourselves are the greatest testimony. Are we not ? Sri Bhagwan is always present as the Guru, is always there when we need Him most, and how mysteriously does He clear our genuine doubts, He alone knows. Once he enters one’s life and love for Him is kindled in the Heart of the devotees, there is no looking back. In my view, Guru-disciple relationship transcends time and space. Sri Bhagwan Himself often referred to a passage in ‘Kaivalya Navaneetam’ , “Oh Guru ! You have been always with me through several births ordering my course until I was liberated”.

I am more than cent per-cent certain that even initiation in Silence continues as during pre-Nirvana years.

Therefore, Sri Bhawan is the deathless eternal Presence shining  as the Self, as ‘I-I’, in the Heart of His devotees.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 26, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »
For those who, thinking without thought
          ‘Whence does the “I” arise ?’
           so that ‘I’ is destroyed within the Heart,
           wherein the ‘I’ does not arise,
have died to the five senses [and the mind]
and dwell steadfastly in the Heart,
their mins become Sivam,
the sanctum sanctorum.
                                    L. 523-26, Ramana Puranam
Dear Devotees,

Sometime back, an article named ‘Tokusho Zenji and Self-Enquiry' by Sri Reinhard Jung was published in the Mountain Path. Sri Bassui was a Zen Master who lived in the fourteenth century. Sri Jung has noted that Bassui's Teachings are quite akin to Sri Bhagwan's and sometimes even their use of the key words are similar. The article is so strikingly similar to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching that it drew my attention again and again and so I felt appropriate to dwell on it once again as follows :   

A few lines are quoted here from Sri Bassui's Sayings: (Source Mountain Path)

" Students of the Way should see directly into their inherent nature. Knowledge, ignorance, clarity, and confusion miss the point. Who is it that hears or doesn't hear; who is it that sees or doesn't see?”

Again'
"When the profound questioning penetrates to the very bottom, and that bottom is broken open, not the slightest doubt will remain THAT YOUR OWN MIND IS ITSELF BUDDHA,  THE VOID UNIVERSE. There will be no anxiety about life or death, no truth to search for...... ".

Again,
" The four elements are without Self. I am originally without a master. This masterless master is the body, and this selfless Self is True Nature. Body and nature are not two, and the ten thousand dharmas are one. In this Unity there are no Sages and no ordinary people. Where can life, death, and nirvana come from ? The merit of existence and non-existence does not apply to this wondrous wisdom. How can words or silence, movement or stillness affect it ? Just abandon the myriad dharmas, discard reason let go of loss and gain, good and bad, this instant, and return to yourself and look cuttingly- Who is it that looks ?

"When you thoroughly penetrate this, the clarity stands out as lacqer black as a coal goose standing in the snow".

The selfless Self is our True Nature. And more: ‘ Look cuttingly—Who is it that looks? The Zen Master’s Teaching echoes the Sadguru’s Teaching indeed. Does it not ?

Thank you.
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 26, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »

Dear Anil,

I also remember to have read that article.  Bassui and
French philosopher Guenon, have said about the Self
Enquiry in the same way as Sri Bhagavan. Arthur Osborne
says that "Since Sri Bhagavan's Path is a Direct Path, it must
also be the oldest path, and many philosophers have touched
upon this in various nations of the world..."   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 26, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »

Self-enquiry is certainly an ancient path. In the ancient times, it was perhaps taught only to recluse who were withdrawn from the worldly life and remained always engaged in meditation.
Ji. Yes. There is force in the argument that, being the most direct method of all the other methods, Self-enquiry must be the most ancient too.

In Karma Yoga, a jiva tries to free himself from the bondage of birth and death by ‘nishkamya’, i.e. actions without attachment. In Bhakti Marga, Jiva feels viyoga from God who is everything to him and wants to reunite with Him through Bhakti, surrender and love. In Raj Yoga, the jiva feels alienated from his Real Nature and wants to be reintegrated by practicing breath control and other practices. In Jnana Yoga, the jiva feels himself sunk in ignorance and by eliminating all that is unreal wants to attain his Real Nature.

Dear sir, however, Self-enquiry or the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is very aptly termed as the Maha Yoga. In Sri Bhagwan’s method, the nature, origin as well as the source of the jiva itself stand questioned. Sri Bhagwan teaches to ask, “Who the ‘I’ is that is engaged in yoga and meditation?” At the end of this sadhana, we discover that ‘I’ which is apparently doing everything is unreal, in fact non-existent and a mere appearance. One Sole Reality is the Self, one without a second. 
In modern times, the ancient path of enquiry was not in vogue  and had become obscure. Sri Bhagwan restored and gave It a rather new form suitable for the practice in the modern scientific age. In my view, Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan synthesises Enquiry with Bhakti and Jnana rather well. It has been so designed by the Divine Designer that It can be practiced anywhere, anytime, and is now the most Ideal Path to fulfil the spiritual need of the modern minds in the materialistic age.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil