Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757948 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1155 on: July 17, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
“Bhagwan’s Feet is everywhere. Where will you gather except at His Feet.”
                                                                                       Sri Bhagwan

“To me there is no distinction. Grace is flowing like the ocean, ever full. Everyone draws from it according to his capacity. How can one who brings only a tumbler complain that he is not able to take as much as another who has brought a jar.
                                                             Sri Bhagwan, The Power of the Presence, Part Three, p-104

“Why do you pointlessly find fault with me, saying that I no longer look at you? If you would fix your gaze upon me, you would know that, established in the Heart, my gaze is ever fixed upon you. Looking at you from within the Self, I never leave you. How can this fact be known to your externalised vision?
                                                               Padamalai

Dear Devotees,
Sri Bhagwan often used to say that Grace is always there, effort is required. What does this oft-repeated Statement mean ? Grace is the nature of the Self. Sri Bhagwan is the Self. Therefore, do not doubt. His Grace is ever flowing like the ocean. Always remember that Sri Arunachala is the ocean of Grace, full of nectar. What, in truth, we need do is to make ourselves receptive to that Benevolent Grace. We should first empty our vessels of the debris accumulated from the time immemorial—divesting our mind from the myriad thoughts and objects and making space for taking the Grace in full, as sri Bhagwan said. HE IS ALWAYS BESTOWING GRACE.

The main problem is that we regard the Real as the unreal and the unreal as the real. Sri Bhagwan says that we are always shining naturally as ‘I’,’I’. But we are oblivious of this continuous shining and instead we identify our Self with the body. There can be no greater tragedy than this.

Sri Bhagwan : Does Bhagwan exist apart from that being-consciousness, ever shining naturally as ‘I’, ‘I’.
No. Sri Bhagwan is the Being-Consciousness, ever shining as Consciousness ‘I am’.  He says that it is  the attention turned towards the body which causes the distinction between the Guru and the devotee, between ‘you’ and ‘I’. Sri Bhagwan says that if the attention to the body itself is transformed by Self-Attention into Being-Consciousness, and when one realises that the Self of all is One, no scope for saying ‘I’ and ‘you’ are left.

REMANING STILL, HAVING REALISED THE TRUTH AS IT IS, IS THE GURU’S GRACE.
HIS GAZE IS EVER FIXED ON US.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 17, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The first quote in my previous post has been taken from the ‘The Power of the Presence, Part one, P. 115’. At the time of posting I did not remember where exactly I had seen the statement.

The great devotee, Sri G. V. Subbaramayya records that one year he could not attend Sri Bhagwan’s Jayanti’s celebrations on account of some family problems. So, Sri Devaraja Mudaliar gently admonished him in Sri Bhagwan’s presence for failing to attend the previous Jayanti Celebration.
Sri Mudaliar: I believe that Sri Bhagwan expects us, his children, to gather at his feetespecially on such occasions.
Sri Subbaramayya records that Sri Bhagwan smiled at this remark and said, “The feet of Bhagwan is everywhere. So where can we gather except at his feet? Time and space are no barriers to the gathering of hearts ”

Sri Subbaramayya says the this gracious comment of Sri Bhagwan relieved him of any guilt he might have been harbouring for paying truant that year.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that time and space are no barriers to the gathering of hearts.
In my view, this also means that today, in the present, His feet is present here, there and everywhere—time being no barrier, space being no barrier. Nay, time and space are nought. Only Illumination Is. He is that Illumiation.

But Sri Bhagwan reveals, “My Gaze is fixed upon you, looking at you from within the Self."

But how can this truth be known to one whose vision is externalised ? The Self is within the five sheaths.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 17, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »

Dear Anil,

The entire Padamalai of Muruganar is on Padam. Padam means both Feet and the Source.
If it is written as Paadam it means Feet.  If it is written as Padam, it means Source;  Sri
Bhagavan's Feet are our Padam, the Source.  In Padamalai, Tamizh original, the word Padam
appears at the end of the two line couplets.  David for the convenience of translation has
placed it in the beginning.

Once some devotee asked Sri Bhagavan whether he could touch His feet and then do
namaskaram.  Sri Bhagavan replied: Why do you want to do that?  The Padam is always
in your Heart.  With this bhavana, you can do namaskram to me and that is only sufficient.

Sri Bhagavan never allowed any body to touch His feet. Only Annamalai Swami and a few
others who were serving Sri Bhagavan used to massage His feet and legs and then also
hold  the feet and do namaskaram thereafter.

He never also admitted Pada Puja by anyone excepting in one case.

Madhavi Amma, a lady devotee once said: If I were to be a man., I shall never allow anyone
else to touch His feet and massage His legs and feet.

Arunachala Siva. .

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 17, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »

The entire Padamalai of Muruganar is on Padam. Padam means both Feet and the Source.
If it is written as Paadam it means Feet. If it is written as Padam, it means Source; Sri
Bhagavan's Feet are our Padam, the Source. In Padamalai, Tamizh original, the word Padam
appears at the end of the two line couplets. David for the convenience of translation has
placed it in the beginning.

Once some devotee asked Sri Bhagavan whether he could touch His feet and then do
namaskaram. Sri Bhagavan replied: Why do you want to do that? The Padam is always
in your Heart. With this bhavana, you can do namaskram to me and that is only sufficient.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I knew from the discussion with you that ‘Padam’ means both the ‘Feet of Sri Bhagwan as well as the Source. But I did not know that if It is written as ‘Padaam’, It means the ‘Feet of Sri Bhagwan’ and if written as ‘Padam’, It means the Source. Thank you so much, sir. Anyway, may I not say that the ‘Feet of Sri Bhagwan’ is our Source ?  You have also written that Sri Bhagwan’s Feet are our Padam.
Dear Sir, Sri Bhawan has shed off His body. We cannot touch His Physical Feet nor we can perform ‘namaskaram’ or prostrate to His Physical body. But there is nothing to be dismayed about. In truth, we have not lost anything. Has not Sri Bhagwan said that the Padam is always in your Heart ? If we do ‘namaskaram’ with this ‘Bhavana’, that indeed is sufficient for us. But seeking the ‘Padam’  with keen intellect and merging in the Source is the true namaskaram.
The final prefatory verse, no. 16, of GVK, was originally composed by an anonymous admirer of Sri Muruganar. Sri Bhagwan is said to have crossed out all the original words of the admirer and replaced it with a new verse of His own which reads thus :

“He who [recorded and]strung into a garland a few of the Guru’s instructions and announced this pre-eminent scripture to the world is Kanna Murugan, who sees through his eye of grace that the essence of all things is only the flourishing feet of his Lord.”

Therefore, the Padam is the Source as well as the essence of all things. That ‘Padam’ is always in our Heart. What we need do is internalise our vision to behold.

Thank you once again, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 17, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »

Dear Anil,

In Tamizh original it is given only as Paadam.  But this may mean both Source and Feet.  As
you have correctly said: Sri Bhagavan's Feet is also the Source.

Arunachala Siva..

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
The Guru, the master of Jnana, gives out clearly and concisely the true import of all the widely differing [scriptural] statements, skilfully establishing their relevance so that they are shown to be completely harmonised. May his feet rest upon my head!
                                                                          V. 3, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

In the ‘Introduction’ of the GVK, Sri David Godman writes that ‘becoming a target of Sri Bhagwan’s supreme love, Sri Muruganar was transformed into an exalted divine poet’. Sri David Godman further writes that just as Lord Siva made Sri Manikkavachagar sing Tiruvachakam, having bestowed upon him Atmanubhuti, so also Sri Bhagwan made Sri Muruganar sing Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai like Tiruvachakam, having bestowed upon him the same Atmanubhuti.
Therefore, there is no doubt that Sri Muruganar is the Chosen Divine Poet of the Divine Court of Sri Arunachala Ramana.

Dear sir, I cited the Verse-3 of the GVK to say that before coming to Sri Bhagwan my spiritual understanding was hazy. I had no definite line to follow in the religious and spiritual matters. Prevalent divergent religious and spiritual views only confused me. Then something inexplicable happened and I knew at once beyond an iota of doubt whatever that I have been initiated and accepted as a devotee by Him. I still have a lot of worldly problems to tackle. Sometimes I am confused and sometimes I am afflicted mentally as well as physically. But Sri Bhagwan said, “Do not worry. These things are not happening to you but in you.” Therefore, I do not care. Let them come and pass. Having said this, I also wish to say that all these things notwithstanding, I now have no doubt about the Goal of life. ATMA-VICHARA IS THE MEANS AS WELL AS THE GOAL. THE SADGURU IS THE PRESIDING DEITY IN THE HEART.

How beautifully Sri Muruganar sings ! The Guru alone can skilfully and completely harmonise the widely differing scriptural statements. Ji. Yes, the Guru alone can reveal the underlying unity in all things spiritual.
Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 18, 2011, 08:38:14 AM »

Dear Anil,

Muruganar Swami was a giant of a Tamizh knowing person.  He was in those days, a member
of Tamizh Lexicon Group, which was to make some sort of a dictionary about Tamizh words.
Muruganar was an important member  there.

But when he came to meet Sri Bhagavan with a decad of poems called Desika Padigam, he
was so overwhelmed by Sri Bhagavan's presence and gaze, that he could not even read out
his own poems.  Sri Bhagavan pulled out the paper from him and read the poems Himself.
Then, He asked Muruganar, "What, Will you write like Manikkavachagar?"

Sri Bhagavan's words came true. Muruganar wrote about 30000 verses on Sri Bhagavan in
his lifetime. Delhi Ramana Kendra published about 15,000 poems under 9 volume Ramana
Jnana Bodham, at a very concessional price of Rs 10 per book, some thirty years back.
Prof. K. Swaminathan was responsible for this great task.  There are no reprints of this valuable
compendium.  I could get only about 5 volumes of this book from Sri Ramanasramam.

In one of the poems in Desika Padigam, Muruganar says:

O Ramana Desika! You have hidden your matted locks, crescent moon and the third eye.
You have also hidden from your hands the pick axe, agni, trident, skull pot [begging bowl]
But tell me, how can you hide the dark spot on your neck, which stands as testimony of
your drinking halahala poison for saving Vishnu, Brahma and Devas [during churning of
milky ocean]?

Wonderful poems.

Arunachala Siva.  . 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 18, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
 But tell me, how can you hide the dark spot on your neck, which stands as testimony of
your drinking halahala poison for saving Vishnu, Brahma and Devas [during churning of
milky ocean]?

Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Thank you so much, sir, for a very nice post.
I am not aware of any dark spot on Sri Bhagwan’s neck which Sri Muruganar regarded as the testimony of His drinking halahala poison for saving Gods. Kindly enlighten.

Dear sir, a few days back you cited following Verse from the GVK. I wish to say a few words on the verse as follows :

Not brooding over what has happened in the past, not dreaming about what is to be attained in the future, remaining a mere witness even to the happenings that unfold in the present, and rejoicing in unassailable peace—this is the excellence of the state of granthi bheda.
                                                    V. 943, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

The Verse describes the excellence of the state of the granthi bheda. Chit-jada granthi or knot ties the inert body (jada) to the Consciousness (Chit). Severance of this knot is the culmination of the sadhana. Granthi bheda ( severance of the knot) signifies the severance or cutting of the knot that ties the insentient body to the Consciousness. So long as vasanas survive in the Heart, ego-mind will not die. Therefore, one should destroy the ego -mind by seeking its Source, i.e.the Self. Death of ego-mind signifies the severance of chit-jada granthi or knot. The body appears sentient due to this knot only as the iron ball when heated appears fire itself. Therefore, Consciousness must be separated from the inert body by Enquiry.
The idea ‘I am the body’ is the ego. As we all by Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, now know that the ego comprises of two parts, i.e., one part is consciousness and the other one is the insentient part. In the ‘I am the body’ idea, ‘I am’ is the consciousness part and the ‘body’ is the insentient part. Therefore, the ‘granthi bheda’, or the ‘severance of the knot’, is the separation of the consciousness part ‘I Am’ from the insentient part ‘the body’.     

So, the Verse   describes the excellence of the state of severance of this obnoxious knot.
The one whose ego has been destroyed by Enquiry has severed the knot that tied the consciousness to the body. “Not brooding over what happened in the past, nor dreaming what is to be attained in the future, just remaining Witness to unfolding of events in the present” –this Sri Muruganar says is rejoicing in unassailable peace ,i.e. Rasa of the Self.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08:58 AM »
Sri Bhagavan's words came true. Muruganar wrote about 30000 verses on Sri Bhagavan in
his lifetime. Delhi Ramana Kendra published about 15,000 poems under 9 volume Ramana
Jnana Bodham, at a very concessional price of Rs 10 per book, some thirty years back.
Prof. K. Swaminathan was responsible for this great task.  There are no reprints of this valuable
compendium.  I could get only about 5 volumes of this book from Sri Ramanasramam.

I am not aware about the existence of 'Ramana Jnana Bodham'. In which language this great work work was published by Delhi Ramana Kendra? Are some volumes still available anywhere ?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 18, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

Dear Anil,

There is no dark spot in Sri Bhagavan's neck.  Muruganar poetically says that since He is Siva
Himself,  He should at least have the dark spot [hala hala poison mark] and He had hidden even
that.

Sri Ramana Jnana Bodham is a Tamizh work, in 9 volumes. containing all the available  poems of Muruganar, excepting Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai and Guru Vachaka Kovai.  There are some 15000 verses, including Padamalai. But without any meaning.  There is no reprint of this book and
they may not be available too. I got about 4 or 5 volumes in 2009.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
In one of the poems in Desika Padigam, Muruganar says:

O Ramana Desika! You have hidden your matted locks, crescent moon and the third eye.
You have also hidden from your hands the pick axe, agni, trident, skull pot [begging bowl]
milky ocean]?

What do ‘Desika’ and ‘Padigam’ mean ? How many verses are there in the Desika padigam ?In the Introduction of  the GVK, a statement of Sri Muruganar mentions that he went to Sri Bhagwan with eleven verses that began with ‘Leaving Mount Kailas….’ and met an excellent sage, the Jnana Guru….. and records his experiences of the first meeting with Sri Bhagwan thus :
 “In the same way that wax melts on encountering fire, on seeing his feet, my mind dissolved and lost its form. Like a calf finding its mother, my heart melted and rejoiced in his feet. The hairs on my body stood on end. Devotion surged in me like an ocean that has seen the full moon. Through the grace of chitshakti [the power inherent in consciousness], my soul was in ecstasy.
With an unsteady and quivering voice, I read the eleven verses and placed them at his feet. At that very moment he graciously looked at me with his lotus eyes. From that day on, the praises given out by my impartial tongue belonged only to him.
From the way he bestowed his grace, becoming my Lord and Master, I was completely convinced that he was Siva himself. As my new ‘owner’, he made my ‘I’ and ‘mine’ his own.
Even if I get submerged in the miry mud of hell, I will not forget the mighty nobility of the bountiful bestower of grace.”

Sri Muruganar’s mind dissolved and lost its form in his very first meeting with Sri Bhagwan. This is a very inspiring account of his first meeting with Sri Bhagwan indeed. This narration shows that the Divine Poet was already a ‘Dheera’or a ‘Pakva’, as Sri bhagwan Himself described such a worthy and mature devotees.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 18, 2011, 04:27:46 PM »

Dear Anil,

Desika means Guru only.   It is a Tamizh word. Padigam means decad, of ten verses. Desika
Padigam is the first decad of poems written by Sri Muruganar.  He wrote it sitting in Arunachaleswara Temple and then brought it to be read before Sri Bhagavan, on 21.9.1923.  In July 1926, he came for good to Tiruvannamalai resigning his job.  He stayed in Palakottu and was talking bhiksha on the streets of Tiruvannamalai. He did not take Asramam food since he could not contribute by way of money anything to the Asramam.  Later in his old years, the Asramam took complete care of him.   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 19, 2011, 07:06:24 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Out of three states of ignorance, i.e. waking, dream and sleep, the state of sleep is very important from the point of view of understanding the core of our Reality as is obvious from the numerous statements that Sri Bhagwan made to drive home the cardinal point that we exist without the body, mind and the world as we did in sleep. We cannot say that we ceased to exist during the sleep.

Therefore, I quote two Statements of Sri Bhagwan, one from ‘Padamalai’ and the other one from the ‘Talks’.

“Destroying the waking state and transforming it into the ‘DISTINGUISHED SLEEP’ [The State of waking-sleep] is subduing and destroying the sleep of delusion.
In the glorious state wherein the mind has died, even deep sleep will become God-consciousness.”
                                                      Padamalai, p. 183

Sri Bhagwan :
Sleep is said to be ajnana [ignorance]. That is only in relation to the wrong jnana [wrong knowledge] prevalent in the waking state. The waking state is really ajnana [ignorance] and sleep state is prajnana [full knowledge].
                                                    Talk no. 314

Dear devotees, we consider waking state to be full of beautiful and interesting things. Don’t we ? The absence of such experiences during deep sleep makes us believe that sleep state is dull. How contrary is the truth to the general ignorant perception ! Sri Bhagwan says that sushupti [deep sleep] is often characterised as the ‘state of ignorance’ but on the contrary it is the Pure State. Deep sleep is considered to be ‘state of ignorance’ only in relation to the ‘wrong knowledge’ of the waking state. One proof that the state of deep sleep is our Real and Pure State is the experience of intense peace during the sleep. If the state of deep sleep is not our Real State, where does the intense peace to the sleeper come from? Nothing is comparable to the indescribable bliss that the sleeper experiences when the mind and senses are absent as in the deep sleep.

What does it mean ? This is a million-dollar question, the answer to which is not difficult to find. It simply and only means that the intense blissful Peace comes to us only from inside ourselves. It , simply means that our experience of the inner happiness is the most intense when we are free from thoughts and perceptions which create the body and the world and when we remain in our Pure Being which is Brahman, or the Self.
What conclusion can be drawn from the above discussion?

BEING ALONE IS BLISS.
MIND AND INDIVIDUALITY ARE SUPERIMPOSITION AND, THEREFORE CAUSE OF MISERY.
Sri Bhagwan :SAMADHI IS SUSHUPTI IN JAGRAT [SLEEP IN THE WAKING STATE]—Blissful Pure Being is experienced  during the deep sleep is experienced in jagrat, WHEN THE MIND AND THE SENSES ARE FULLY ALERT BUT INACTIVE.

Dear devotees, it is therefore supreme wisdom to subdue and destroy the waking state and transform it into ‘DISTINGUISHED SLEEP’, i.e. the ‘State of Blissful Waking Sleep’ by ATMA-VICHARA . Contrary to the general belief, waking state is the ‘SLEEP OF DELUSION’. Contd.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 19, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
Contd. from my post, re. 1206

Dear devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that the same person sleeps, dreams and wakes up.
Sri Bhagwan : You are the same person that is now awake. Is it not so ?
Devotee : Yes.

Therefore, there is a continuity in the sleep, dream and waking states. What is the continuity ? It is the Continuity of the Pure Being in all the three states. Pure Being is alone is the UNITERRUPTED CONTINUITY, the Substratum, on which the play pertaining to different states and phenomena are being enacted. Otherwise, the state of sleep is quantitatively as well as qualitatively different from the state of waking. The phenomena called mind, body, the world and objects appear only in the waking state and disappear in sleep.

Devotee : But I am not aware in my sleep.
Sri Bhagwan : True, there is no awareness of the body or of the world. But you must exist in your sleep in order to say now ‘I was not aware in my sleep’. Who says so ? It is the wakeful person. The sleeper cannot say so. That is to say, the individual who is now identifying the Self with the body says that such awareness did not exist in sleep. Talk no-609

Dear devotees, there is no mind and therefore no individual and therefore no identification with the body in sleep. Only Pure Being Is. When we wake up, Pure Being is still there as before, but mind arises and veils It and ‘vikshepa’ leads us erroneously to identify ourselves with the body and the mind and he has the mental perceptions of the world which appear then interesting to him.  IN SLEEP, ‘I’ AS AN INDIVIDUAL IS NOT and, therefore, interesting things (interesting to the mind) are not.

SO, THE CONCLUSION IS THAT THHERE IS A CONTINUITY OF THE PURE BEING IN ALL THE THREE STATES OF SLEEP, DREAM AND WAKING.
THERE IS NO CONTINUITY OF BODY, MIND, INDIVIDUAL, WORLD AND OBJECTS AND PHENOMENA.
That which appears and disappears is unreal.
That which ever is, is  the only Reality.

Sri Muruganar :
The ego, the embryo of manifestation, who suffers in the two states of waking and dream, imagining, ‘I am the one who sees’, is also the one who, by thinking, ‘I did not see anything in sleep’, loses his greatness and gets mentally perplexed.
                                                                               V. 458, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman. 

Thank you
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 19, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »

Dear Anil,

"Wakeful-sleep" is the state of turiya.  A Jnani in Sahaja
Samadhi is ever asleep in the Self but he also notes the
happenings around him, and for that matter, he is more
attentive than normal persons. This state is called Thoongaamal
Thoonguvathu, thoongaamal - without sleeping, thoonguvathu,
sleeping!  This Tamizh phrase was first used by Saint Poet
Tayumanavar in his poems. This wakeful sleep is Sukam,
Bliss.

Sri Bhagavan also says, in Sri AAMM in Verse 37:

If I slumber in quiet repose enjoying the bliss of Being, what
other moksha is there, tell me, O Arunachala!

[Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan]

Arunachala Siva.