Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757747 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1125 on: July 11, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
All rocks here are lingams; this is the realm of Siva.
The trees here are celestial plants.
Water here are Ganges flowing from Siva’s matted
            hair.
All food here is nothing but ambrosia.
To walk one step here is to go round the whole world.
Any utterance here is the Word of Veda.
Even slumber here is Samadhi.
Can any other place equal this sacred Arunachala ?
                      From Arunachala Mahatmyam

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 11, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
Therefore, What Sri Adi Shankara means is this:
“The world seen as world through ignorance is false, but the same world seen as Brahman through Knowledge is real. “ This means that when Knowledge dawns, All is Brahman.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that the Self is only One. If limited it is the ego. If unlimited it is the Infinite Existence-Consciousness. If ‘I’ abide in the Self, All is Brahman; and ‘I’ do not say ‘I’. If ‘I’ am deflected away tangentially I am a limited creature; and ’I’ say ‘I’.

We must understand at this critical juncture that there is no such thing as a false ‘I’, or the little self,  but only a false notion about the True ‘I’, the Self. ATTRIBUTES, NAMES AND FORMS THAT WE ASSIGN TO THE REALITY, I.E., THE SELF ARE MERE NOTIONS, IN FACT SHEER IMAGINATION.

EGO IS NOT AN ENTITY. What is meant by an entity ? The dictionary defines entity as something that has real existence, something that has real being. Therefore ego is not an entity. For, it has no real existence, has no real being.
SO, HOW CAN THAT WHICH HAS NO REAL EXISTENCE  STAND SUSTAINED ENQUIRY ABOUT ITS WHERE-ABOUT ? In my view, it is for this reason that Sri Bhagwan says that ego should be destroyed by seeking its identity with the Self. Since it is a non-entity, on being sought, it will simply vanish automatically, of its own accord, and the Reality will shine forth by Itself.

So, what is real is hidden and what is false is revealed as real. The Real Self, or real ‘I’ is the hidden substratum of the apparent self that is our ego.  Nay. The apparent self or the ego is a reflection, as discussed before, of the Real Self in the vital mind-stuff called subtle body. But the real tragedy is that the apparent self or the ego appropriates to itself the Real Self and bandies about as the individual self flaunting name, form and fame, arrogating to itself the subtle body.

Therefore, it appears that the false ego is well entrenched. But being a non-entity, it cannot stand enquiry. However, devotees complained to Sri Bhagwan that when they sit for enquiry, various thoughts come rushing. They will come. How else they will be destroyed ?
SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THIS IS HOW THE EVIL THAT IS THE EGO WILL COME OUT OF ITS HIDING PLACES. This is the proper way to take it out of its hiding places, scorch it and finally destroy it. This is the proper way to stand still and just  ‘be’. There is no other infallible method. There is no other adequate means.

Thank you,
   Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 11, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »

Dear Anil,

Devotee:  How to destroy the mind?

Maharshi:  Seek the mind. On being sought, it will disappear.

Devotee:  I do not understand.

Maharshi: The mind is only a bundle of thoughts. The thoughts arise because there is
             a thinker. The thinker is the ego.  The ego if sought, will vanish automatically. The
             ego and the mind,  are the same. The ego is the root thought  from which all thoughts
              rise.

Devotee: How to seek the mind?

Maharshi: Dive within. You are now aware that the mind rises up from within. So sink within
                 and seek.

Devotee: I do not yet understand how it is to be done.

Maharshi:  You are practicing breath control. Mechanical breath control will not lead one to
                  the goal. It is only an aid. While doing it mechanically, take care to be alert in
                  mind, and remember the "I"-thought and seek its Source. Then you will find that
                  where breath sinks, there is 'I'- thought arises. They sink and rise together. The
                  'I' thought also will sink along with the breath. Simultaneously, another luminous
                  infinite 'I-I' will become manifest, which will be continuous and unbroken. That is
                  the goal. It goes by different names -- God, Self, Kundalini Sakti, Consciousness,
                  Yoga, Bhakti, Jnana etc.,

Devotee:   Not clear yet.

Maharshi: When the attempt is made, it will itself take you to the goal.

- Talks No. 195

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 11, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »
Devotee: I do not understand how it is to be done.
(The devotee under discussion is perhaps practicing breath-control. Sri Bhagwan teaches him that mere mechanical breath control cannot lead him to the goal and instead while doing so he should remember ‘I’-thought and seek its source. He will find that where ‘I’-thought sinks, there the ‘I’-thought rises. They sink and rise together. But the devotee still keeps on repeating that all these are not clear to him.)
Devotee: Not clear yet.
Sri Bhagwan : when the attempt is made, it will of itself take you to the goal.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you for quoting from Talks, no. 195.

What I wish to say is that so long as the thinker or the doubter is present, it can never be cent per-cent clear. HOWEVER, IT IS WORH MENTION HERE THAT SRI BHAGWAN STILL INSISTED ON THE VICHARA DESPITE THE RELUCTANCE OF THE DEVOTEE TO GRASP THE TEACHING. Moreover, Sri Bhagwan taught him that when attempt is made or as I understand it, when the Vichra is pursued, as taught, it will of itself take him to the Goal.

Dear sir, I would like you to comment on the statement of Sri Bhagwan “it will of itself take you to the Goal”.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 11, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan insisted on Vichara for everyone. To some, like Dilip Kumar Roy, He permitted
heart melting singing on God. For others like Muruganar, Annamalai Swami - He prescribed
mantras. But all will lead to self enquiry only.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 12, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »

Sri Bhagwan and Sri Muruganar, both, have used the word ‘suttarivu’ rather extensively in their compositions, writing and utterances. I understand that the word ‘suttarivu’ means false knowledge that ‘I am the body’ , or the ego that knows the non-Self objectively. Therefore, ‘suttarivu’ must be generally meaning ‘objective knowledge’.

Sri Bhagwan : If the Jiva remains without the suttarivu, in that state it will clearly see itself as the immaculate, pure swarupa, free from limitations.

Sri Muruganar : Know that when the false suttarivu is eliminated, true jnana will spontaneously shine forth.

So, the meaning and the import of the word are obvious enough. However, I wish to know what exactly the word’suttarivu’ in Tamizh mean. In what sense, meaning and import, the said word is generally used by Tamil speaking people ?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 12, 2011, 08:01:44 AM »
Contnd from my post, re. 1164

So, “WHERE ALL ROCKS ARE LINGAM”.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bahgwan:
Aruna = Red, bright like fire.
Achala = a hill.
Therefore, Arunachala = Hill of Fire

But Sri Bhagwan says the Fire is not the ordinary fire which is merely hot.  This Fire is Jnangni, or Fire of Wisdom, which is neither hot nor cool.

So, Sri Arunachala is the Hill of Wisdom.
                                                             From Talks, no. 21

We believe that the mount Kailas is the Abode of the Lord Shiva. However, Sri Bhagwan says, “Kailas is on the Himalayas: it is the abode of Siva. Where as this Hill is Siva Himself. All the paraphernalia of His abode must also be where He Himself is”. (Talks, No. 143)

So, Sri Arunachala is the ‘TEJO  LINGAM’.  The scriptures sings that mere remembrance of SRI ARUNACHALA confers liberation.

Dear devotees, Lord Shiva has both the transcendental as well as the immanent aspects. His invisible and transcendental aspect is represented by ‘Existence-Consciousness’ while His immanent aspect is represented by the ‘Linga’.  The ‘Linga’ first manifested as Sri Arunachala as a Great Column of Light which to even this day stands as God Himself. This manifestation was when the moon was in the constellation of Orion (Ardra). However, it is said that the TEJO LINGAM, SRI ARUNACHALA was first worshipped by Sri Brahma and Sri Vishnu on SHIVARATRI DAY which is held as a very sacred day even now.

Sri Bhagwan says that in the sphere of speech, the Pranava, the Mystic Sound ‘Aum’ represents the Transcendental Aspect or the Nirguna Aspect of the Lord Sri Arunachala while Panchakshari, or the five-syllabled mantra represents the Immanent Aspect, or the Saguna Aspect.(To continue)

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
Contnd. From my last post, re. 1170
Dear Devotees,

Many hills in India are regarded as sacred. Many hills are regarded as abodes of some Deity or the other. But Sri Bhagwan says that this Hill, Sri Arunachala, is the Supreme Lord Himself in the shape of the Hill. According to the tradition, going round the Deity, circumambulation, or pradakshina, has been a very popular mode of worship from the time immemorial in this country. So, special importance is attached to going round Sri Arunachala. It is said that one who has performed and completed the Circuit of Sri Arunachala even once in the proper way remains ‘Brahmakara’. What is the proper way ? The proper way is to walk as slowly as possible, like a queen in full pregnancy. It is also said that the sores on the feet caused on the way by the pricking pebbles become the diamonds in the crowns of gods.

However Sri Bhagwan says that the pradakshina is “All is within me”. This is the true significance of the pradakshina. Since nothing is apart from the Self and all are, in truth, contained in the Self only, Sri Bahgwan says:
Circuit round the Sri Arunachala is equal to circuit round the world. Remember, the whole universe and all other universes are condensed into the Hill.

The circuit round the ‘Great Temple’ is as good as the circuit round the Hill.

Self-circuit, i.e., going round and round, is as good as the circuit of the Great Temple.

Dear devotees, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that Sri Bhagwan often cited Ribhu’s Git’s famous Verse in the context of circumambulation:
“I remain fixed, whereas innumerable universes becoming concepts within my mind, rotate within me. This meditation is the highest circuit”   

Therefore, it follows that when one is not able to reach frequently the Tejo Lingam that is Sri Arunachala, one should meditate that one, who in truth is the Self, is fixed and countless universes becoming concepts  which they  in truth are, are rotating within me.

However, dear devotees, whenever I manage to reach Sri Ramanasaramam, I have made it a point to perform Giripradakdhina at least once of Sri Arunachala. Its efficacy is well-established beyond doubt whatsoever.

Thank you,
    Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 12, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »

Dear Anil,

Once my wife and I were sitting near the five samadhis
of Muruganar and others behind the Samadhi of Cow
Lakshmi, one gentleman from the Hill came and asked me
whether I can buy a small piece of dark black rock piece
[about the size of an eraser] saying, that it is from Arunachala
summit. He demanded Rs 50 and agreed finally for Rs 20
and I bought.  Even this stone from Arunachala is Lingam,
and is equivalent to Arunachala. When I said this to David
Godman, he agreed.   In Brahman, is there any small Brahman
and large Brahman?

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 12, 2011, 06:01:21 PM »

My wife also lifted a small piece of rock from around the Skanda Ashram and carried all the way to Patna on her first visit to Sri Arunachala. First I felt that it was not proper for her do so. Then I read in Talks that when a devotee asked from Sri Bhagwan as to which part of Sri Arunachala is the holiest so that he may lift a rock from there and carry It to his native place, Sri Bhagwan replied that every particle of the Holy Hill is the Lingam, and he may lift a stone from any part of Sri Arunachala.

Ji. Yes. Brahman is attributeless.Every particle, every form and the whole universe is pervaded by Lord Sri Arunachala. 

Thank you, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 13, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »
“Oh ! Bhagwan of Arunachala. My mind is not capable of deciding what kind of light this is. Is it the effulgence of glorious Arunachala or the scintillating lightening-like splendour of Ramana, Lord of this Hill.” 
                           Swami Shantananda, Cenetary Souvenir

Dear Devotees,

The relationship between Sri Bhagwan and Sri Arunachala is understood by His devotees to be a grand mystery. In fact, it transcended our mundane understanding. However, from our level, in terms of human relationship, it was that of the son and the father.
It is generally believed, as mentioned in most of Sri Bhagwan’s books that Sri Bhagwan first heard the Name of Sri Arunachala from a relative who had just returned from Tiruvannamalai. But Sri Bhagwan has said that this version is somewhat erroneous. He has said that from the childhood He had been hearing the Sanskrit Verse that ‘the mere remembrance of Sri Arunachala confers Liberation’. So, He had a vague idea that Sri Arunachala is Almighty God Himself and therefore He was naturally surprised and thrilled that a ‘human mortal’ could reach and return from such a Divine Place. Some books mention that ‘Awakening’ started after hearing the Name of Sri Arunachala from a relative.

After Realisation, and on being rebuked by His elder brother for neglecting His study and always sitting in Samadhi, the thought of Sri Arunachala at once flashed in His mind and His secret flight to Arunachalam from Madura ‘ in search of His Father and in obedience to His command’ soon started and ended only when He entered the Sanctum Sanctorum of the Great Shrine of the Great Temple of SRI ARUNACHALESHWARA and beheld the ‘LINGAM  OF SRI ARUNACHALA’.
And from that day on, it appears that even the thought of ever leaving Sri Arunachala never occurred to Him, for He never did stray away from the environs of Sri Arunachala during His fifty and four years of stay there.

Five Hymns to Sri Arunachala and the ULLadu Narpadu are Sri Bahgwan’s Original Compositions besides His Prose Works, such as, ‘Who am I?’ and ‘Self-Enquiry’ etc. However,  ‘Akshar Mana Malai’ (The marital Garland of Letters), one of the Five Hymns to Sri Arunachala, is considered by many of His devotees as the finest composition in devotional and lyric poetry. This Hymn was composed by Sri Bhagwan in response to the request of the devotees who wished to sing a song when they went out in the town for Bhaksha or Holy Alms.
Dear devotees, some of the devotees of Sri Bhagwan are of the view that the early mention of ‘Alagu’ and ‘Sundaram’, Sri Bhagwan’s parents, in the Hymn, strikes the key-note to a personal strain running throughout the Hymn, much like Sri Shakespeare’s sonnets which are the key to unlock the Poet’s secret treasures of the heart. The Hymn unfolds an allegorical love-story and depicts the Madhra Bhava of Deep Devotion. Sri Arunachala in the Hymn is the Lover and the Poet is the Beloved. At the mere thought of Sri Arunachala, He stole the heart of the Poet-beloved. Having secretly brought Her to Him, He is now neglecting Her. She is harassed by numerous enemies but He remains unmoved as the Great Mountain. Therefore, the Poet-beloved remonstrates and complains of Her Lover’s indifference thus :

‘Having seduced and ravished me, if you deny me union and abandon me now, would it be chivalry ?’, ‘Having entered my home and lured me to yours, why do you keep me prisoner  in your cavern ?’, ‘Such desertion will be a memorial column of shame for you….’, ‘If you do not unite with me, I shall be melting away in tears of anguish.’, ‘Pray rain your mercy on me or else your fire consumes me to ashes.’ 
Then the Poet-beloved apologises for Her harsh words thus:
‘Let us embrace , one in the real Self, on the on the soft flower bed of the mind…’,  ‘May I be absorbed into you as food is assimilated….’ 
The prayer is answered. The Love is consummated in marriage. The Hymn concludes with the Poet-Bride’s invocation thus:
O Lord Arunachala, throw around me your garland and let me place on your breast this marital garland strung by Me.

Dear devotees, besides the above, Sri Arunachala is described in the most evocative terms in the Song, such as, ‘ Arunachala is the real meaning of OM unexcelled, unparalelled’,’the magnet that attracts the iron-fillings of devotees and holds them fast’ , etc. It is also worth noting that the word “GRACE”occurs in almost every stanza of the Hymn underlying Its importance as the primary cause.

Dear devotees, just before Sri Bhagwan’s Mahanirvana, devotees assembled outside the room started singing this Hymn in chorus. This, I believe must be inspired singing, for Sri Bhagwan is said to open His eyes hearing the singing and tears of Ecstasy gushed from them while His Body breathed its last breath.

The Mysterious relationship Between Sri Bhagwan and Sri Arunachala was most aptly demonstrated by the Divine Itself by the Celestial Phenomena at the time of Sri Bhagwan’s Mahanirvana. A huge and long meteorite is said to emerge in the south-east corner of the horizon and trailing majestically across the sky seemed to merge in the Highest Peak of Sri Arunachala. This is said to be witnessed by people as far a place as Chennai and from other far-away places in South India.

Dear Devotees, I also believe like so many other devotees of Sri Bhagwan that in essence, Bhawan Sri Ramana and Sri Arunachala are One and the Same and that is our True Self and the Supreme Brahman.
Thank you,
    Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan's relationship with Arunachala is mysterious and many faceted.  In Sri
Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai, He calls the Hill as Guru, Mother, Father, the Treasure
that He had without searching, Lover, Transcendent Light,, etc., etc..

Nochur Venkataraman says in his discourse:  For 54 years, by going up and down the Hill,
it was a Rasa Lila that had happened between the Hill and Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 13, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan's relationship with Arunachala is mysterious and many faceted. In Sri
Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai, He calls the Hill as Guru, Mother, Father, the Treasure
that He had without searching, Lover, Transcendent Light,, etc., etc..

Nochur Venkataraman says in his discourse: For 54 years, by going up and down the Hill,
it was a Rasa Lila that had happened between the Hill and Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagwan says that Rasa, Ananda, Peace are all names for the same Bliss. (Talks, no. 433)
Brahman Is Bliss. Self is Bliss. So, the Brahman, or the Self, is Rasa. Atman is Rasa.
Dear Sir, Sri Bhagwan’s relationship with Sri Arunachala, from the perspective of human relationship, is certainly many-faceted, that of the father and son, Guru and disciple, son and the mother, lover and beloved etc., etc. In the note that he left behind at Madura, He mentioned that He was going in quest of His Father.     
Arunachala Aksharmanamalai is ‘Bridal Garland of Letters for Sri Aunachala’. In my view, this is the best song ever composed in ‘Bridal Mysticism’ in which the devotee-soul regards himself to be the bride of Lord Sri Arunachala Himself. In Love-mysticism, the mystic or the devotee-soul revel in love-play with the Supreme Being. Here, ‘Mana Malai’ is wedding –garland which invariably imply the union of the bride with the bridegroom. This is also sadhana. Culmination of this sadhana is the Realisation of non-dual love in which there is no other, no movement away from the Self which is Love Itself, Rasa Itself. As many great devotees have commented, Sri Bhagwan’s Love –litany, Arunachala Akshar Mana Malai, depicts ‘Madhura Bhava’ of Devotion.
“…..Having seduced and ravished me, if you deny me union and abandon me now, would it be chivalry ?”,  “….embrace, one in the real Self, on the soft flower-bed of the mind.”, “ Come and sport with me in the open space of the Heart where there is neither day nor night….”etc., etc.

Therefore, IT IS RASA LILA.

However, we should not forget that the Song, a Great Rhapsody of Love, Grace and Devotion, was composed by Sri Bhagwan for His devotees.

However, for me, Sri Arunachala is the Self. Bhagwan Sri Ramana is Sri Arunachala in Human Form Incarnate. Sri Bhawan and Sri Arunachala are One and the Same Supreme Self and our own True Self.

Regards
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 13, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan was the embodiment of grace and peace  I was reading Viswanatha Swami's article
in the Silent Power. There he writes:

It was at Skandasramam on Arunachala that I first came to Sri Bhagavan Ramana. in January
1921. He was standing on the open space in front of the Asramam building facing the entrance
as I approached.  The very sight of Him was thrilling, something very subtle, seemingly with its
centre in that body, shone forth unlimited engulfing everything else. Needless to say, I felt swallowed up by it. I stayed for a week with Sri Bhagavan in that atmosphere of utter purity and serenity. I heard  from Him how He came to Arunachala, irresistibly attracted and swept off His feet by a tremendous benevolent force. How He was one with it deep down within His Heart, almost oblivious of His body and surroundings. And how only later on He gradually regained the use of His senses, and the mind and was able to look about and commune with others when they approached  Him.

I came to Him for the good and I may say that there was no necessity for any sadhana in particular on my part,.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 14, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »
The very sight of Him was thrilling, something very subtle, seemingly with its
centre in that body, shone forth unlimited engulfing everything else. Needless to say, I felt swallowed up by it. I stayed for a week with Sri Bhagavan in that atmosphere of utter purity and serenity. I heard from Him how He came to Arunachala, irresistibly attracted and swept off His feet by a tremendous benevolent force. How He was one with it deep down within His Heart, almost oblivious of His body and surroundings. And how only later on He gradually regained the use of His senses, and the mind and was able to look about and commune with others when they approached Him.

Devotee : What is the mystery of this Hill ?
Sri Bhagwan : “The mystery of the pyramids (referred to the mysterious pyramids of Egypt) is the mystery of the Self,” so also the mystery of this Hill is the mystery of the Self.

“MYSTERY OF THIS HILL IS THE MYSTERY OF THE SELF.” Sri Bhagwan explains the mystery thus :

This presumably beautiful and solid universe is like a painting on the Screen of the RED HILL, SRI ARUNACHALA. Sri Bhagwan says that the finality of the universe is GOD, SRI ARUNACHALA. Everything rises from It, everything sinks into It. Naturally that which rises and sinks must be made of from what it rises. Bubbles are not different from the water in the ocean.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has sung, “Thou dost root out the ego of those who meditate on Thee in the Heart, Oh Arunachala !”

Dear Devotees, Sri Bhagwan reveals out of Infinite Compassion for us that when one meditates on HIM, SRI ARUNACHALA, THE SEER, OUR TRUE  SELF, IN THE HEART, there is a mental vibration ‘I’ to which all are reduced. Now tracing the source of this mental vibrations ‘I’, wherefrom these vibrations are emanating, Primal ‘I-I’ alone remains. Then SRI ARUNACHALA reveals HIMSELF as Pure Existence-Consciousness-Bliss as the Core of all beings. Sri Bhagwan says that It is inexpressible. That is the Seat of Realisation.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that the only useful purpose of the present birth is to turn within and realise Sri Arunachala as our own True Self in the Heart. There is nothing else to do.

Therefore, this is the mystery of SRI ARUNACHALA. And the mystery of SRI ARUNACHALA is the mystery of the SELF. So, Sri Bhawan mysteriously says, “Everybody has to come here, sooner or later.”

“Oh ! Bhagwan of Arunachala.  Arunachala liberates those who merely remember IT. You Bhagwan, by dedicating yourself to the feet of Arunachaleshwara, have reinforced it.”
                                                                                       Swami Shantananda, Centenary Souvenir 

Regards,
  Anil