Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755985 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1095 on: July 04, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. On another occasion when Kavyakanta argued with Sri Bhagavan that the brain is the
centre for the Self and not the Heart, Sri Bhagavan kept quiet and after some time, He
showed a person in the Hall, who was sleeping and his head had hung due to sleep.
He then said: Nayana, look, if the brain is the centre, how can it hang like this?  Kavyakanta
understood the point.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 04, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan says that vasanas cannot remain away from one's Self. If vasanas are contained in the brain-cells, a person must be rid of his vasanas if he is decapicitated and he must not be reborn. But we are aware that is not the case. Sri Bhagwan says that someone may say that Self is in the brain with the vasanas. But we are aware that the Heart is the Seat of the Self and so vasanas are also in the Heart. If the Self is in the brain the head would not fall down when one falls asleep as you mentioned. One would not indicate the Spiritual Heart and say 'I'. Rather he would touch his head and say 'I'. But we know that even the one who has not heard anything about the  Heart touches his right side of the chest and say'I' indicating unknowingly the Source of his individuality.

Therefore, there is no ambiguity with regard to the Seat of the Self, mind, and vasanas.

HEART IS THE CENTRE AND THE SEAT OF THE SELF WHERE THE MIND RISES AND SUBSIDES. THEREFORE, HEART IS ALSO THE SEAT OF REALISATION. BRAIN IS THE SEAT OF THE MIND. The light in the brain is the reflected light, reflected knowledge as well as reflected being. True Knowledge is in the Centre that is the Heart. On waking up from sleep, it is reflected in the head and it is no longer lying insentient but rises up and with its rise everything else rises also.

Thank you so much sir, for a very nice post.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 04, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan has further clarified this even in Who am I? which was written much earlier in
1901.  He says as answer to Question No. 11 of Pillai: " .....When the subtle mind goes to
the brain and them goes out, one gets all gross forms and names.  When the subtle mind
rests for even in the Heart, all forms and norms disappear....."

Imagine that this was told by Sri Bhagavan, when He was just 21. What an amount of
clarity He had in His views on Self and Self realization!  That is why, He is called an

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 04, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »

There is not an iota of doubt that Sri Bhagwan was an Incaration. Lord Sri Arunachala Himself incarnated as Bhagwaqn Sri Ramana as an ACT OF GRACE TO BE SHOWERED ON THE AILING HUMANITY.

However, dear sir, I am little surprised that as great a devotee as Sri Ganapati Muni argued with Sri Bhagwan that brain is the Seat of the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that the Heart of the Timeless Upanishad is construed as 'HRIDAYAM' WHICH MEANS "THIS (IS) THE CENTRE".

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

shakti

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 04, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
thank you all for your writings. i, myself, have nothing to add or subtract. i am only grateful.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 05, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Dear Sri Shakti,

Thank you for your response.
Dear Sri Shakti, True Life is only One, the Self.  Bhagwan Sri Ramana reveals that that Guru, God and the Self are One. Therefore, He is the only Illumination. Without His will and Grace an atom does not move. So, what we, the insignificant jivas can do ? We all therefore are grateful to that One only. We all are His children only.

Dear Sri Shakti, The Self is known to everyone but not clearly. Our Existence, in Truth, is for ever. The Be-ing is the Self. The Absolute Being is what is and It is verily the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I am’ is the name of God. Knowing the Self, God is known.

Dear Sri Shakti, Be-ing is the Self. Be-ing is ‘I am’. Sri Bhagwan says that the State of being is here and now all along. We have lost hold of ourselves and searching frantically outside. Can we ever reach OURSELVES searching outside ? Sri Bhagwan says that ego comes up holding only ‘you’. Hold yourself and the ego will vanish. Ultimate Solution is ‘Atma-Vichara’ as taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Water in a pot reflects the huge sun within the confine of the pot or within the narrow limits of the pot. What we see in the water of the pot is mere reflection of the enormous sun, water being the reflecting medium. So also, Sri Bhagwan says that our vasanas or latent tendencies act as the reflecting medium. What do they reflect. They (latent tendencies or vasanas) catch the All-pervading, ever-present and infinite Light of Consciousness emanating from the Heart and present It in the form of reflection. Sri Bhagwan says that this phenomenon is what is called the mind. Therefore, in truth, the vasanas are the limiting medium which present falsely the Infinite Light of Existence-Consciousness as finite beings, i. e. jivas. Sri Bhagwan says that not knowing this, and seeing only the reflection, ajnanis  are deluded into the belief that they indeed are the limited creatures.

Dear devotees, If vasanas become extinct by sadhana of the Vichara, the reflecting medium is absent. In the absence of the reflecting medium, phenomenon of reflection, the mind disappears being absorbed in the Light of the Self.

Therefore, what is required is the introversion of the mind through the Enquiry into Our Source, i.e. the Self. As Enquiry goes deeper, vasanas gradually become extinct or disappear. In the absence of vasanas, the Self alone shines. That we are. ( To continue)

Thank you,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 05, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
Dear Devotees,

When a devotee reamrked that he was unable to meditate in the night because through out the night a dog was barking. This remark of the devotee invited a critical rebule from Sri Bhagwan. He responded thus : "NO DOG BARKED. IT WAS YOUR MIND THAT BARKED."

We ignore our own defects and find various execuses for not adhering to the Teaching of the Guru. When inwardness is achieved it hardly matters whether a dog is barking in the night, or a king's procession is moving with loud drum beats in the day.

Thank you,
   Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 05, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »

Dear Anil,

Nice example.  In a truly meditative spell, one should
not 'hear' dogs barking etc.,  He will be so much immersed
in meditation, that no sounds or hindrances would affect and
disturb his meditative mood.

Once some devotee asked: "Bhagavan, when  I am meditating,
if mosquitoes come and bite me, what shall I do?"
Sri Bhagavan replied: "You can swat them. Just because you
swat them, liberation will not be refused to you. You can also
leave them to suck your blood., But for this liberation will not
be guaranteed for you.  In a true meditation, You shall never know
that a mosquito is biting you at all!"

Recently Nochur Venkataraman was discoursing on Upadesa
Saram. He had only one upper cloth along with his dhoti. He
was not wearing any shirt. One mosquito sat on his shoulder, where
the upper cloth had slided and was enjoying sucking blood. Nochur
Venkataraman, did not drive out the mosquito or re-set his upper cloth.
He was simply discoursing for one hour!  This shows that his mind was
in a meditative mood on the discourse, with no attention elsewhere.
And that is real sadhana.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 06, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir.

Thank you so much for a nice post, sir. So, there are three possibilities :

1.   When mosquitoes come and bite, one can swat them. Just because one swats the mosquitoes, one will not be denied liberation.
2.   One can leave the mosquitoes to suck one’s blood consciously or mindfully. Just because one leaves the mosquitoes to suck one’s blood, one will not be conferred liberation.
3.   In a true meditation, one is not even aware that a mosquito is biting him in the first place, as Sri Nochur Venkataraman taught by example.

Therefore, one should endeavour to graduate to that state of meditation in which one is not even aware that a mosquito is sucking his blood. That is real sadhana, that is the real tapas.

Dear sir, I read in the ‘Power Of The Presence’ that some of the permanent resident devotees of Sri Ramanasramam during Sri Bhagwan’s days in body would voluntarily make themselves responsible for ashram activities and kept themselves immersed in actions. Even such devotees, without realising their own defects, sometimes used to complain that they had no time for meditation or Enquiry. The book says that to such devotees, Sri Bhagwan humourously used to  remark thus :
“Is it that you have got no time for meditation ? Or is it that you are unable to remain quiet ? If you can remain quiet, go ahead and do so! You will then see how all the ashram activities go on naturally of their own accord. If you do this you will be astonished to discover that the help you receive for your own tapas will be more than the help you are rendering for other people’s tapas.”
                                                                      Part one, The Power Of The Presence

Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
(This post should be read with my post, re-1140)
Remaining in the Heart, Padam causes the minds of each and every one to act in accordance with his vasanas.
                                                      V. 19, Ch. Padam, Padamalai

Dear Devotees,

We are the Pure Substance, Pure Chit, and Pure Bliss Ourselves. Are we not ? But what we know as ourselves due to ignorance is mere reflection only and reflection can never be the Truth. We must understand that knowing and seeing are only reflections. Being alone is the Supreme Truth.

Let us discuss ‘seeing’. We daily see the sun. How do we see it. Do we see the real sun, the sun in itself, or the sun as it is. No. we see the reflection of the sun. The light radiating from the sun is reflected on the retina of our eyes, senses adopt the image thus formed and we are said to have  perception of the sun. It takes about 8 minutes for the light to reach the earth from the sun. So, even if the sun disappears at this very moment, it will continue to be visible for about 8 minutes in the firmament.   

Dear devotees, what I wish to convey is that ‘seeing’ and ‘knowledge’ imply the mind. And mind is the mere abhasa, the mere reflection. But we are not the mere reflection. We are the existence-Consciousness-Bliss Itself. But we see and know only the reflection or the mind and are deluded confounded. It is identification of our Self with the non-Self, due to absence of Enquiry, which is the root of the problem.

Even for a Self-Realised Jnani, Sattvic mind is admitted as a concession to argument, for knowledge of being even ‘witness’ is the function of the reflection, abhasa. Such knowledge implies mind. But Sri Bhagwan says that a jnani’s mind is by itself inoperative and therefore it is called Sattvic mind. But if a mind is admitted for the Realised, His Bliss will also be considered reflected. But Sattvic Mind is verily the Absolute Consciousness in which the witness and the object to be witnessed merge together and Absolute Consciousness alone reins Supreme. It is verily the Swarupa and not the mind or the reflection. It is We. If we just ‘be’, all the above are mere words, reflections, which are alien to True Being. Therefore, until by Enquiry we reach a State in which we just ‘be’, the words are  inescapable.

Thank you,
     Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan used to chide those who are engaged in some other activities, without
either doing the work for which they were engaged or during free time, engaging in meditation.
He has chided Kunju Swami also once. He brought somebody to the Hall, as sent by office,
and without knowing who they are, he introduced them to Sri Bhagavan. They had in fact,,
come to get recommendations of Sri Bhagavan, for some social activities.  Kunju Swami
really did not know before hand. Sri Bhagavan chided Kunju Swami, and shouted at him for
almost one hour, in Malayalam. The visitors became panicky seeing Sri Bhagavan's anger,
simply left the place.  Then Kunju Swami apologized to Sri Bhagavan.  Sri Bhagavan said:
What is your job?  Your job is to sit in the Hall and do meditation. Why should you bring
those people, just because the Office sent them?  Do they not know their way? Your job
is to simply remain in any place inside the Asramam and do meditation.  Kunjiu Swami understood the reason behind Sri Bhagavan's unusual indignation.

Once Chadwick [Sadhu Arunachala] was given some office work.  He refused to do it and
said that meditation and sitting in the Hall and listening to Sri Bhagavan was the only work
for him. Sri Bhagavan, on hearing this, said, Yes. What Chadwick says is correct!

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 06, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »

In my  view, when one is in the Guru Ashram, one should voluntarily offer to help but one should not forget the primary purpose for which he comes to the Guru and His Ashram.

Activities and actions without attachment, without an eye on the fruits of action, is, in my view, alright. Otherwise, they would lead the power of attention to dwell more and more on the second and third persons thoughts and objects.

Dear sir, here, at this point, I wish to discuss Sri Sadhu Om's insightful analysis with regard to the 'power of attention. We are the Self whether we know it or not. Sri Sadhu Om says that the Self,which is wrongly considered to be unknown, is verily our Realityand the very nature of our attention (the Supreme Self's) Itself is Grace. This implies that when we pay attention to, witness, observe or look at an object, that object is nourished and will flourish, being blessed by the Grace. The power of attention is reflection of the knowing power of the Self. So, this also implies that when  the power of attention of the mind is directed more and more towards second and third preson objects, ignorance and thoughts about those objects are bound to grow more and more and therefore would never subside. The more our attention or the glance of Grace, as Sri sadhu Om Puts it,falls on them,the mind's wavering nature will increase more and more. Thoughts will multiply.

On the other hand, if our Self's attention is directed to only 'ourselves', to oue sense of 'I',  our knowledge of own Existence will flourish, and the mind deprived of our support of Grace will lose strength to attend to second and third person objects.

Therefore, it follows that our powerr of attention should be directed more and more on the first person so that our knowledge of our own Truth is norished by our glance of Grace. 

This is a brilliant analysis to say the least.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 06, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »

Dear Anil,

Turning the mind inward within and attention to the Self is our primary and only job. If the
mind jumps outwards, it sees the world and all sorts of thoughts and actions erupt.
That is why Sri Bhagavan said, though He was not against freedom fighters, a Jnani by
sitting at a place with self-attention does the same job as the freedom fighters i.e doing
good for the freedom of India.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 07, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »

When people and even some of His own devotees say that Sri Bhagwan did not speak or even did not participate directly in the great freedom struggle of India, they forget the basic truth that Sri Bhagwan is a Perfect Jnani. And from the stand-point of True Jnana, time, space, continents, countries etc. are in the mind only.
Sri Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India  and Sri Jamana Lal Bajaj, both great leaders of the freedom movement, once visited Sri Bhagwan on the advice of Mahatma Gandhi and had following discussion which is much educativeand significant in this context:
Sri Jamana Lal Bajaj : I    If swaraj (independence) is gained after a long struggle and terrible sacrifices, is not the person justified in being pleased with the result and elated by it ?
Sri Bhagwan : He must in the course of his work surrendered himself to the Higher Power whose Might must be kept in mind and never lost sight of. How then can he be elated ? He should not even care for the result of his actions. Then alone the karma (actions) becomes unselfish.
                                                                                                   Talk--502

In my view, freedom fighters in fact had no choice, as Lord Sri Krishna said to Sri Arjuna, it was ordained that they would fight for the Indian Nation’s independence. The one choice they had was to surrender to the Higher Power in course of the great struggle and not to even care for the result of their actions and thus achieve ‘nishkamya’.

However, in my view, it is wrong to say that Sri Bhagwan was not aware of the nation’s plight due to foreign rule. WE shoud not forget that He knew past, present and future.

In reply to an another question of Sri Bajaj, Sri Bhagwan says that no can one can claim to be the sole beneficiary of His Grace. The benefits of His Presence would be shared by all alike.
However,  Sri Bhagwan says that before His arrival in Tiruvannamalai in 1896, there was not any clear political thought in India. He asks, “Is it without such saving Grace that the present awakening has come into being.?”

Ji, yes. It is naïve to say that Sri Bhagwan did not do anything for the nation’s independence. His Self-Realisation is for the benefit of the entire mankind and not only for the people of India. Lord Budha benefitted all mankind and so did many other great jnanis.

What I wish to convey is that we are not competent to discuss about what Sri Bhagwan should have done and what not. He alone knows.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil