Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757043 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1065 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:16 AM »

Dear Anil,

The Verse III.33 is said to explain why some people do not follow the
teaching of the Lord. That is, their lower nature, proves too strong for
them.

The Verse III.34 speaks about the serious seeker of Truth. Though,
as has been said in the foregoing verse, some are so completely
under the sway of their natural propensities, that restraint is of no
avail to them, yet the seeker after  Truth, should never think of following
their example, but should always exert himself to overrule all attachment
and aversion of the senses for their objects.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 28, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Yours is very fine interpretation of the V. 3.33 and the V. 34 of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita. Both Verses should be studied together, and if done so, in my view, the essence of both Verses together is what you have posted. Thank you so much, sir.

The Great warrior Sri Arjuna's famous lamentation :

"O Krishna ! verily the mind is fickle, turbulent, powerful and unyielding. to controlit, I think, is as difficult as controlling the wind."
                                                  V. 6.34, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

The Blessed Lord Sri Krishna consoles thus :
" O mighty armed one ! Undoubtedly the mind is fickle and difficult to be checked. Yet, O son of Kunti, it can be brought under control by dispassion and spiritual practice."
                                                    V. 6.34, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear sir, indeed ! The one who is seething with passion and is devoid of spiritual practice, for him it is indeed difficult to achieve control over the mind. Its fickleness, tuebulence and unyielding power makes it much like a tyrant. Getting rid of the tyranny of the mind is the purpose of all scriptures and all religions.

The Blessed Lord says :
" My view is that Yoga is difficult of attainment by men of uncontrolled mind. But for those who have their minds under control, it is possible to attain, if they strive with the proper means."
                                                     V. 6. 36, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Ji. Yes. Some people cannot follow the Teaching of the Lord of the Gita or the Guru because their lower nature proves too strong for them. The Great Lord says for such people," What repression can do ? 'For those who have their minds under control' requires dispassion.And Sri Bhagwan says that dispassion can be achieved by understanding the ephemeral nature of the world and phenomena. Therefore, dispassion internalise the mind and the proper means will cause  ensure its destruction. Sri Bhagwan has given a very, very potent and divine weapon of Vichra for this very purpose to His Loving devotees.

Regards,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 28, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. What you say is correct. Sri Bhagavan says to Pillai when the latter
asked Him, 'whether one can do vichara, when vasanas are coming like
waves of the ocean.'

Sri Bhagavan answers: "One should do Vichara without
thinking whether it is possible or it is not possible, this doubt should
first go away.. There is only one mind - only vasanas are good and bad.
[subha and asubha]. When subha vasanas are there it is called good and when
the influence of asubha vasanas are there it is called evil mind. The mind
should not be allowed to wander. However bad other people may be, one should
bear no hatred for them. Both desires and hatred should be eschewed. When
one's self becomes quiescent all becomes quiescent. ..."

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »

And I reiterate the Guru’s Nectarine Words thus:
No room should be given to doubts. Doubt the doubter. IF DOUBTER IS HELD, DOUBTS VANISH.
There is one mind. Only vasanas are either good or bad.
When under the influence of good vasanas, mind is said to be a good mind.
And when under the influence of bad vasanas, the mind is said to be the evil mind.
Therefore, do not bear hatred for those whose minds are under the influence of bad vasanas.
Do not allow the mind to wander. Whenever it wanders seeking sense objects, it should be brought to abide in the Self only. When devotees lamented that they are not able to curb the propensities of the mind to lust and hanker after the sense objects, Sri Bhagwan often cited the famous Verse 6.26 of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita:
“From whatsoever reason this wavering and fickle mind wanders away, it should be curbed and brought to abide in the Self only.” 
                                                             V. 6. 26, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

That is the way.  Sri Bhagwan deliveres it as Lord Sri Krishna and elaborated, explained and taught His devotes to practice. That is the way, that is the means, and that is Vichara;  there is no other  Straight Way, there is no other Adequate Means.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:47 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan : Until the jiva knows that its own essential nature is matchless bliss, it will, like the musk deer, be confused.
                                                                               V. 11, Padamalai                   

Only those who are not able to realise their own swarupa is bliss will , like a musk deer, be confused. But those who are able to realise their swarupa thoroughly will abide in their own state, without pursuing the world.
                                                                                V. 1028, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

The musk deer carries the fragrant musk within itself. Not aware of this truth, and believing that the fragrance is coming from a source outside itself, it wanders everywhere, searching for it. But the search is futile. Likewise, Atma-swarupa  which is our own True nature is Supreme Bliss Itself. Not aware of this great truth, the deluded and deceptive mind seeks happiness outside, frantically struggling and searching for it all the time as if happiness is in the non-Self.

So long as we are unaware of our own fragrant musk, the Self, and keep on wandering hither and thither in the ways of the illusory mind, the feeling of true happiness and true love cannot exist. As long as we are under the spell of the imagination, we are not Ourselves, we are not seeking Ourselves. So, Sri Bhagwan warns that so long as one is seeking something other than yourself as the agent for gaining happiness, there is no happiness for him.

SELF-HAPPINESS ALONE IS.  Atma-sukham alone exists. There is no other happiness. Happiness and the Self are not different. Therefore, turning away from the imagined ‘drishya jagat’, and seeking the Reality, the Self, is the only key to Supreme Happiness which is our Swarupa.

Thank you,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Sadhu Om narrates a story in this context:

"Alas! I am imprisoned! I have been caught within this triangular room!
How to free myself?" - thus a man complaining and sobbing, standing in
a corner where the ends of two walls joined. Groping on the two walls in
front of him with his two hands, he was lamenting, 'No doorway is available,
 nor even any kind of outlet for me to escape through! How can I get out?"

Another man, a friend of his who was standing at a distance in the open, heard
the lamenting, turned in that direction and noticed the state of his friend. There were
only two walls in that open space.  They were closing only two sides, one end of each
of them meeting the other. The friend in the open quickly realized that the man, who was
standing facing only the two walls in front of him, had concluded, due to wrong notion
that there was a third wall behind him, that he was imprisoned within a three walled room.
So he asked, "Why are you lamenting groping on the walls?"  "I am searching for a way
through which to escape from the prison of this triangular room, but I don't find any way
out!" replied the man.

The friend: "Well, why don't you search for a way out on the third wall behind you?"

The man [turning behind and looking] "Ah, here there is no obstacle! Let me run away
through this way." So saying, he started  to run away!

The friend: Why do you run away?  You are not in the prison at all, in the first place!

The man:  Yes. There is no prison at all. I am on the open.

Arunachala Siva.     
of outlet   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 29, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »

Similar is the predicamment almost all of us are in. Alas ! I am imprisoned ! But as the lamentation of the person trapped in a tringular room is nothing but sheer ignorance and is therefore not valid, our lamentation that we are trapped in the prison made of mental maze is nothing but the sheer ignorance and is therefore not valid. But as the man trapped in the triangulr room could not work out his way to the freedom by himself, we also cannot work our way to freedom by ourselves except by the Grace of the Guru or the God. "What insignificant jiva can do ?" However, Sri Bhagwan says that Grace is always there, but for the Grace to be effective, effort is required, complete faith in the Guru and His teaching is the pre-requisite.

Ending the wreched ignorance is the fulfilment of man's advent. Man is endowed with the faculty to discriminate for this purpose only. We all are restless because we, in truth, are the Self, but seeking pleasures in the non-Self. Sri Bhagwan teaches to liberate the mind by asking, " Who is restless?"
THIS IS THE DOOR, IN THE THIRD WALL, TO FREEDOM AND ABUNDANT JOY.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 29, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »

Dear Anil,
A three walled room with one open side, can never make a prison.
But we are all thinking that we are imprisoned. The three walled room
is a metaphor for ego, karma and maya. If you could ignore these three
impurities or overcome them, then you can realize the Self.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »

In my view, it does make any difference whether the room in which the deluded person felt himself imprisoned was two walled or three walled. There was an escape root through which he could escape if he would have been only aware of the opening. He was ignorant of this fact that there was an opening through which he could escape to freedom. He was not even making effort like turning back and finding the absence of the fourth wall, but was only lamenting that he was imprisoned, that he was helpless. 

So also, in the three walled prison cell of the ego, maya and mind, there is an opening 'I am', or the 'I'-feeling holding which we can escape from the three walled prison to our Natural Freedom.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 30, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The Essence of Bhagwan Sri Ramana’s Teaching can be summed up in two words “Summa irupadi”, or “Stand still”. STILLNESS MEANS THE ‘SILENCE OF THE MIND’. Therefore, one who has achieved quiescence of the mind can stand still. But one who has not, how can he stand still ? Thoughts are bound to rise in such a mind due to inherent vasanas and disturb his stillness. So, how to PRACTICE ‘STAND STILL’ ? STAND STILL WITH THE REMEMBRANCE OF THE FEELING ‘I’. This, in my view, is truly the Essence of Sri Bhagwan Teaching. In other words, this is what we call the practice of Self-attention. Therefore, holding on to or clinging to the  ‘I’-feeling till Realisation is what is the most important thing.  ‘I’-feeling is the common daily experience of one and all.  Therefore, Self-attention should be practiced by standing still with uninterrupted  remembrance and attention to the ‘I’-feeling.  This is what is meant by the Self-attention.

However, it requires that one should remain keenly alert against the impending slackeness in vigilance. For, the very rise of the thought is the certain indication that Self-attention has been lost. You are aware that Sri Bhagwan advises to ask at this point, “To whom has this thought come ?” The reply will be ‘To me’. “Who am I ?” Dear devotes, when the Self-attention is lost, nothing can be, in my view, as efficacious as this technique to win back the lost Self-attention. So , in truth, the steps “To Me” and “Who Am I?”  act as a contrivance to win back the Self-attention from the thoughts. The raging ‘battle royal’ thus should go on till the very end, i.e., Realisation of the Self.

I feel that there is no limit to God’s Compassion. The Lord Himself came and gave an infallible divine ‘astra’ (weapon) to win back Self-attention from the thoughts.

THE SELF-ATTENTION IS THAT IN WHICH THE EGO COMMITS SICIDE AND EMERGES AND SHINES AS THE SELF, AS THE TRUE ’I’.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »

Dear Anil,

When Sri Bhagavan was on the Hill, Madhavaswami wanted Him to write
something on a new note book brought by him.  Sri Bhagavan had written
the following line:

Mounam [Silence] is but the state of
Grace, that emerges within as One Word.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 30, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »

Is Sri Madhava Swami  the same devotee who wrote “Where Silence is the inspired Sermon”  and prayed to Sri Bhagwan to write something in his diary ? I feel that all these questions and prayers ( inTalks etc.) are inspired ones.

That Silence which transcends talking and non-talking, the unique uninterrupted Silence, can be nothing but the State Of Grace. That Silence is the perennial flow of language. Speech interrupts It.

Sri Bhagwan says that ‘Akshara’ is that ‘Unique One Word’ which shines of its own accord forever in the Heart as the Self.

Thank you so much for a nice post, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 30, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. It was written by Sri Bhagavan on the note book of Madhavaswami
upon his request, when he brought a new note book.  This is only
a sentence and not a poem.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 01, 2011, 07:43:34 AM »
Note: This post should be read in continuation with my post, re-1113, thank you.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Sadhu Om, in his ‘The Path of Sri Ramana, Part-1’ says brilliantly that so long as our power of attention was dwelling upon second and third persons, it was called ‘the mind’ or ‘the intellect’, and its attending was called a doing (kriya) or an action (karma). Only that which is done by the mind is an action.

In my view, this is simply true, brilliant and superb elaboration upon the Self-attention I have ever seen and gives a ‘Great Opening’ to the Practice of the Great, Great Self-enquiry. Right now, I am simply unable to say what It has done to me.

Dear devotees, what happens in Self-attention ? Our Power of Attention which was so far attending or directed to only and only the second and third persons is attending or directed to only first person now. But this attention to only the first person is not in the category of doing or action. When our attention is directed to other than the first person, it, in fact, is the rising of the mind, or in other words, we swerve away from our True nature, the Self. And actions start, doing comes into picture, for second and third persons are alien to us. Therefore, Sri Sadhu Om says that this attention to the second and third person is of the nature of ‘kriya rupam’, or doing. But as soon as we direct or shift our power of attention to ourselves, the first person, it is not doing or action per se, it is not even directing or shifting. It is in the nature of being, existing and is therefore ‘sat rupam’. So when we are attending only to the non-alien first person only, to the ‘I’-feeling only, attention loses the nature of ‘paying attention’ and remains in the form of ‘being’.

Therefore, Self-attention is of the nature of non-doing or inaction whereas attending to second and third person is of the nature of doing or action.
So Self-attention means losing names and form and mind and intellect and finally the ego and remaining as one is. It is the state of non-doing or inaction which is nothing but the state of being ‘Stand Still’, or ‘Summ Iru’.

Sri Sadhu Om again so very brilliantly says that the mind which attends to the Self is no more the mind; it is the consciousness aspect of the Self (Atma-chit-rupam) ! Likewise, so long as it attends to the second and third persons (body-mind and the world), it is not the consciousness aspect of the Self but  verily it is the mind, the reflected form of consciousness (chit-abhasa-rupam) !

Therefore, it follows that Self-attention which is the first person attention is Consciousness aspect of the Self.
And when our power of attention is directed to the second and third person, it is it is the reflected form of consciousness.

One can also truly conclude from here that the Self alone realises the Self. Ego cannot !

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 01, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
                    I languished in despair, for he
                    Dwelt in the higest heaven, far, far
                    Beyond my reach. But, he, the comely
                    Sovereign Ramana, generous giver
                    Of light, stood shining joyously
                     Here, in my heart's firmament.
                               V. 983, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

What can insignificant jivas do ? Can we, on our own, ever realise the Self ? It is the Grace of the Sadguru for aspirant on any path in general and particulary when one is on the Sraight Path. Dear devotees, we all should ever pray to Bhagwan Sri Ramana for His Bounteous Grace !

Thank you,
  Anil