Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 304851 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »
                " Ordain that my burden should no more be mine.
                  But yours, for what is the burden for you, the all sustainer ?
                  I have had enough of carrying this world
                  Upon my head, parted from you. "
                                                               Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

How much importance Grace has on the spiritual path can be understood from the fact that Sri Bhagwan
 has Himself invoked ' Grace 'in most of the verses of the AMM. Besides, He invokes Lord Sri Arunachala
 by 'Ocean of Nectar' and ' Full of Grace 'in the first verse of the Aruachal Panchratna.

Sri Bhagwan always said that Guru, Grace, and the Self are the one and the same. Grace is the very nature of
 the Self. Whenever a devotee prayed to Sri Bhagwan for the Grace , why did He always point out that the
 Grace is always there and that practice or the effort is imperative ?  Because, in my view, only 'Self is' and
 Its nature is Grace Itself. And, therefore, it can be understood easily, either intuitively or otherwise,
 that when we seek Self and practice unwaveringly and steadfastly for Self-abidance, Grace being the
 nature of the Self, is certain to be active naturally and spontaneously. Sri Bhagwan meant to convey
 that practice makes for the awareness of the Grace. Thus, message of the Guru is obvious.

But Sri Bhagwan's Grace precedes individual efforts. As  has been said earlier that it was Sri Bhagwan's Grace
 that attracted us to the Straight Path of the Self-enquiry.

Thank You,.
                                                                               Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
    Dear Devotees,

We simply can not comprehend and fathom the Pure Mind or the Satvic Mind of a Self-Realized Jnani. However,
 If He Himself chooses to reveal, out of compassion, we can have merely peeps or glimpses like the frogs in
 the well when they are told of the sea by a wise frog.

Sri Bhagwan :-

Vritti belongs to the rajasic mind. The satvic is free from it. Tha satvic is the witness of the rajasic. It is no doubt
 true consciousness. Still it is called satvic mind because the knowledge of being witness is the function of abhasa
 ( reflected consciousness )  only. Mind is the abhasa. Such knowledge implies mind. But the mind is by itself
 inoperative. Therefore it is called satvic mind.

Such is the jivanmukta's state. It is also said that his mind is dead. Is it not a paradox that a jivanmukta has a
 mind and that it is dead ? This has to be coceded in argument with ignorant folk.

Satvic mind is surmised of the jivanmukta and of Iswara. " Otherwise," they argue, " how does the Jivanmukta
 live and act ?" The satvic mind has to be admitted  as a concession to argument.

The satvic mind in fact is the Absolute Consciousness. The object to be witnessed and the witness
  finally merge together and Absolute Consciousness alone reigns supreme. It is not a state of blank or
  ignorance. It is swarupa ( Real Self ). Some say that mind arises from consciousness followed by abhasa
 (reflection ); Others say that the abhasa  (reflection ) arises first followed by the mind.In fact both are
 simultaneous.

Thank You
                                                                                 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
           " That 'which is' does not say, " I am ".
             That 'which is not' says," I am Anil ".

D     :    To say that the pure mind reflects the Truth seems to contradict the statements that the Self is   
             beyond  the mind, that the mind can not know Brahman that is beyond thought and speech.
  Sri Bh:    That is why they say that mind is two-fold; there is the higher pure mind as well as the lower impure
             mind. The impure mind can not know it but the pure knows. It does not mean that the pure mind
              measures Self, the Brahman. It means that the Self makes itself felt in the pure mind so that even when
              you are in the midst of thoughts you feel the presence, you realize the truth that you are one with the
              deeper Self and that the thought-waves are there only on the surface.
 D        : That means the mano-nasa, the destruction of the mind or the ego you speak of is then not an absolute
             destruction.
 Sri Bh   : Yes. The mind gets clear of impurities and becomes pure enough to reflect the truth, the real Self. This
              is impossible when the ego is active and assertive.

Source: Know Yourself
                                                             A. R. Nararajan     

Dear devotees, the Pure Mind or the Higher Mind is verily the Self Itself. When the mind is merged in the Self,
  it rises as a wave of awareness from the  Heart-Centre which enables a Jnani to think as well as act even
  though He is for ever One with the Supreme.

Thank You
                                                                  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
    The Revelation of Sri Bhagwan quoted in Reply No 123 has been taken from
 'Talks', No 68. Page-77-78.

Dear devotees, what I have understood from Sri Bhagwan's Revelation quoted in Reply No 123 and 124
 is as following :

After all, Thinking and Activity are enabled by the Power of the Self. When the mind is merged
  in the Source or the Self, Pure Mind or the Satvic Mind or the Sudha Mind rises as a wave of
  awareness from the Heart-Centre which facilitates 'Intutive' thinking and functioning by
  a Self-realized Jnani.

Thank You
                                                                    Anil

amiatall

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2010, 01:47:49 AM »
"lower mind" gets integrated with "higher mind" and you have pure mind reflecting Truth, but it is not final station yet. or so say scriptures.
We must go deeper. I mean, really, leaving conceptual world, diving in experientially, only to discard it in the end too.

To my mind egoless and bodyless are not different. Neither one can be bodyless with ego intact, nor otherwise. It may seem that some jnanis does not have bodyless state, but what if one is wrong? What if one is omitting the word "seem". Again, it is a ridiculous mistake to mix body and jnani. Body acts and feels the way it is programmed, body may scream or may kick in the butt if situation is such, but jnani never identifies with its activities. This is not about it being wrong or not wrong. This is about crushing our own deep rooted believes of how things should be according to our view. I mean ALL believes must go, totally.

this is my humble opinion.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »

Yes.  The lower mind [impure mind] should merge with higher mind
or Maha Manas as Buddhists call it and the former mind should
disappear totally.  This once achieved, the world will not appear
again.  Bhagavan Ramana says in Who am I? :  If thoughts disappear, the mind disappears and the Jagam [world] will also disappear.   The ego, another aspect of mind, like the stick used
for burning funeral pyre, will also be thrown into the pyre for its
destruction.  The body will continue, and should go through the motions of nature, till prarabdha gets exhausted.  The prarabdha will be there for a Jnani and Jnani will not feel its pain and pleasure.
The stick that is used is the inquiry as to who am I?

Bhagavan Ramana says the body is a foregone conclusion.  It means
your genes to body structure are already pre-decided as per prarabha.
So this will go when the prarabdha gets exhausted.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
  Dear Sri Subamanian Ji and Sri Amiatall,

Thank you so much for your very nice posts.
 My understanding is exactly the same.

Thank You.
                                                          Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2010, 01:23:01 PM »

Dear Anil,

Bhagavan Ramana once said that we are carrying "dead bodies".
Why is the body death?  Science has now proved that everyday
cells are dying and new cells are getting formed. In seven years
it is said that one's body cells are totally new.  So birth and death
are already taking place inside the body.

Once two poor brahmins [they were pall bearers] were returning from
the cremation ground.  They were acutely hungry.  They
wanted to take food.  But they were "impure" because they had
returned from cremation ground and they had to take bath.  That year, Tiruvannamalai was quite hot and all tanks were dry. So
no bath was possible.  They came to the Asramam and told Bhagavan that they were pall bearers and had returned from the cremation.  However, they were hungry.  Bhagavan Ramana said:
"Go and eat first in the dining hall.  You say you have carried dead
bodies.  But we are all carrying dead bodies.  It does not matter.
Go and eat!"   

Bhagavan Ramana has also said:  "Forgetting the Self is death.
Constantly remembering the Self is immortality."

It is explained in the form of a calculus work out in Ramana Kendra,
Hyderabad, which I saw when I went there on Deepavali Day.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Ji and Sri Amiatall

I wish to quote here two very revealing observations of Sri Bhagwan which, in my opinion,certainly reinforces
  our understanding of the mind.

Sri Bh :-

There is no entity by the name mind. Because of the emergence of thoughts we surmise something from which
 they start. That we term mind. When we probe to see what it is, there is nothing like it. After it has vanished,
  peace will be found to be eternal.

Devotee : What is budhi ?
  Sri Bh     : The thinking and discriminating faculty. These are mere names. Be it the ego, the mind, or the
                  intellect, it is all the same. Whose mind ? Whose intellect ? The ego's . Is the ego real ? No.
                 We confound the ego and call it intellect or mind.
  Devotee  : Emerson says, " Soul answers soul by itself- not by description or words."
  Sri BH      :Quite so. However much you learn, there will be no bounds to knowledge. You ignore the doubters
                 but try to solve the doubts. On the other hand hold on to the doubter and the doubts
                will disappear.

Talks, No 238, p- 197,198

Thank You
                                                                                                      Anil    

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Ji

Thank you so much, Sir. I had not been aware of this incidence that
  Sri Bhagwan had asked somebody coming from the crematorium ground to go directly
  to the dining hall without proper bath.Our Bhagwan was  God Himself who
  incarnated in human guise to bestow His own State to His loving devotees. 

With Regards
                                                                  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »

Dear Anil,

Bhagavan Ramana says the same idea, slightly in a different form,
in Verse 17 of Sad Darsanam.

To those who do not know the Self and to those who do, the body
is the "I".  But to those who do not know the Self, the "I" is
bonded by the body; while to those who within the body know
the Self, the "I" shines boundless.  Such is the difference between
them.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Ji and Sri amiatall

With due regard, I wish to submit that I firmly believe that the clarity which Sri Bhagwan has brought about in
 the  understanding of the 'mind', in its totality, is unprecedented, remains unmatched, and which can not be
 equaled by any one.I wish again to quote divine words of Sri Bhagwan in this regard from the ' Spiritual
 Instruction'  which, in my view, is invaluable in understanding the mind.

Devotee : What is 'Pure Mind' and what is 'Impure Mind' ?

Sri Bh     : When the indefinable power of Brahman separates itself from Brahman, and in union with
                 the reflection of consciousness (chidabhasa), assumes various names and forms, it is called
                 the impure mind.When it becomes free from the reflection of consciousness (abhasa),
                  through discrimination, it is called the Pure Mind. Its state of union with the Brahman,
                  is its apprehension of Brahman. The energy which is accompanied by the reflection
                  of consciousness is called the impure mind and its state of separation from Brahman
                  is its non-apprehension of Brahman.

Dear Sir, I have read some where that Sri Bhagwan once said that Self-realization is not the realization
        of the Self. Self is always realized. It is the realization of the ignorance. Or perhaps , He  
        said  that in Self-realization we do not discover the Self. Self ever is. What we discover in Self-realization
        is our ignorance.  

One more question, Sir.

" In the inner most recess of the hearts of all,from Vishnu downward,there abides
      the Parmatman, or the Supreme Consciousness, who is same as
      Arunachala or Ramana. When mind melts with the love of Him
      and reaches there where resides the beloved,He reveals Himself as
      'Pure Knowledge'.

I learnt that this verse was composed by Sri Bhagwan in response to a devotee's
  question. What was the question and the background which led
  to the composition of this one of the most sublime verses I have ever read ?

Thank You
                                                                         Anil      

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  Bhagavan Ramana said that the Self is ever realized.  What
we should realize is the impermanence of all that is non-Self.
Atma Vicharam is not inquiry of Atma.  Atma is ever there.  What
we should inquire is the anatma i.e. which is not the Self and remove
them, from cluttering our mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2010, 08:09:01 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Yes.  Very true.  One should keep away from worries and anxieties,
because they are not the real "I".  They are my mind's play, smothering my life.  Bhagavan Ramana lived in this state.  For such Brahma Jnanis, all things that are rightfully required come about on their own.

As Lagu Yoga Vasishta says:  He who has nullified the mental
transformations in the waking state as in deep sleep, and whose
company is sought after by the learned for his erudition, just as
the gods seek after the full moon with all his marks, is known to
be liberated in this world.  All beings - whether fierce or gentle,
repose their trust and find peace in him who is perfectly tranquil,
just as they do so in their own mother.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Ji and Sri Udai Shankar Ji,

Thank you so much for explaining non-existence of ignorance from a very
 insightful and practically fruitful angle.
 Udai ji's obsevation that ' You are really untouched by
 worry is to be seen within' gives a new and important perspective into
 the enquiry. Thank you so much.

With Regards,
                                                                      Anil