Author Topic: Devi Mahatmya / Durga Saptashati / Chandi  (Read 86051 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Devi Mahatmya / Durga Saptashati / Chandi
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2018, 03:33:25 AM »

Manifestations of Her glory show
In power of immeasurable might,
Throughout the universe, powers that swell
The sea of birth and death, forces that change
And break up the Unchanged and changed again.
Lo! Where shall we seek refuge, save in Her?

from the Hymn to the Divine Mother
by Swami Vivekananda

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2018, 05:34:08 AM »

During the sadhana of Vichara, one should not get fascinated with the word "I" but understand it from the proper perspective. Today there are I-Phones, I-Pads, I-Wishes, I-10s, I-20s etc. So we are uttering 'I' more than ever before. But this 'I' is more binding than liberating. The 'I' which liberates is the source of 'I' and not the word 'I'. That source is nameless and can as well be represented by 'You'.

There are subjective advantages and disadvantages of each:
1. The advantage of 'I' is the direct focus on the self compared to 'You' (without devotion) building a layer of concepts. Here 'You' is only objectifying, cutting itself off from the subject 'I'. With devotion and proper guidance of guru this will not happen but it is likely to happen for many others.

2. The advantage of 'You' is a little subtle. It can only be appreciated if one is true to oneself. In the journey towards the source of 'I' one finds that whatever progress one makes the 'I' will always remain 'smaller' than the Cosmic 'I' which creates and destroys the Universe. Even after self-realization one does not become the master of creation. One may not even know the thoughts going on in the minds of other individuals. Self-realization will give the understanding of the True Essence. This understanding of True Essence will give the understanding of Maya. But this understanding of Maya does not make one the wielder of Maya (Mahamaya).

So what has happened actually? The essence of Mahamaya is understood and one gets the ability to touch the feet of Mahamaya in samadhi. The body and mind still needs to take part in the drama of Mahamaya, though in a detached manner. Even if this particular body is casted off, there are other bodies which continues with the play of the Mahamaya.

Seeing Sri Ramakrishna still clapping hands and chanting the names of Gods after Vedantic realization, Totapuri was annoyed and jeered at him commenting whether he was making chappatis by clapping his hands. What is the use of going back to the old habit of clapping and chanting when the highest realization was imparted to him? Totapuri got the answer in the subsequent events of his life. Totapuri understood that Mahamaya which he considered as a 'rusty' thing for Vedantists till then is not a 'rusty' thing at all. It shines always. In fact it shines better in realization than Avidya.

So appreciating the presence of the Mahamaya as the controller of the Universe, as the controller of individual souls, as the Cosmic 'I', Whose essence is understood better through self-realization, Whose feet is reached through knowledge, one starts appreciating 'You' without discarding the appreciation for 'I'.

Then one may say: 'I am where I am, You are where You are.'
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:45:17 AM by silentgreen »
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2018, 05:19:37 AM »
Beautiful,beautiful words...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:23:00 AM by Jewell »