Author Topic: Devi Mahatmya / Durga Saptashati / Chandi  (Read 65968 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Devi Mahatmya / Durga Saptashati / Chandi
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
Maa Durga

The Mahishasura Mardini stotra says:
अयि गिरिनन्दिनि नन्दितमेदिनि विश्वविनोदिनि नन्दिनुते
Ayi Giri Nandini Nandita Medini Vidhva Vinodini Nandi Nute

"Vishva Vinodini" means one who fills the whole world with joy. The main Durga Puja is during Sharadiya Navaratri in the autumn season. "Mother is coming", this thought fills the whole world with joy. In West Bengal, the sharad ritu or the autumn season had got correlated with Durga Puja; everywhere people look forward: "Maa aasche", the "Mother is coming".

The "Mahishasura Mardini stotra" vividly depicts the personality of Devi Durga. It is quite a big stotra and in quite difficult sanskrit, but still it is very popular and has been rendered by various artists. This is because Durga Devi is Vishva Vinodini, Her thought itself gives inspiration.

In a life filled with sorrows the contemplation on the form and personality of Devi Durga itself uplifts the soul, filling it with joy and strength. The mighty form with ten hands and seated on a lion, worshipped with conch, cymbals and drums, takes us to another world altogether ... as if the Mother of the whole universe has come down to earth to bless Her children.

Jai Durga
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:15:30 PM by silentgreen »
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »
Maa Durga

Mahishasura Mardini stotram says:
भूरिकुटुम्बिनि भूरिकृते
Bhuri-Kuttumbini Bhuri-Krte
The Divine Mother has many relations and She has created abundance

Being the Cosmic Mother, everyone is Her children, so She has many many relations.

For the sustenance of the life of Her children, She has created the trees to provide fruits and vegetables, rivers to provide water and atmosphere to provide air. So She has created abundance in nature.

However much man becomes modern, his food will come from trees and plants, water from ground, river or sea, and air from atmosphere.  So for our daily sustenance we depend on Her, and this is reason enough to remember and thank Her everyday.

Jai Durga
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:02:06 PM by silentgreen »

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »
Maa Durga

The Mahishasura Mardini stotram starts with describing the Devi as "Vishwa Vinodini", One Who gives Joy to the world. The Durga Chalisa similarly starts with "Namo Namo Durge Sukha Karani", Salutations to Durga Who bestows Happiness. Adi Shankaracharya's Annapoorna stotram starts with describing the Devi as "Nityanandakari", One Who always gives Joy. These are not mere coincidences.

Only the Divine can bring that peace which is beyond understanding.
Only the Divine can bring that Joy which is beyond understanding.

We often pray to God for overcoming troubles which are the results of our karma and also collective karma. But God normally does not interfere with the results of karma. On the other hand God gives the taste of Joy which is beyond. This Joy enables us to overcome the karmic cause and effects.

In the story of child Krishna, a lady fruit-seller gave away her fruits to Sri Krishna due to the great Joy she experienced in the presence of Krishna. After tapasya Sri Vishnu appeared before child Dhruva who had many questions to ask. But when Sri Vishnu put His hand on the head of Dhruva, he experienced an ineffable peace and all his questions of life were as if answered.

So salutations to the Divine Mother Who is Nitya Anandakari (Who always gives Joy), being the repository of bliss Herself.

Jai Durga
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:02:52 PM by silentgreen »

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
Will be busy with other sevas of Mother. Will post intermittently.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
The steamer had been going toward Calcutta; but the passengers, with their eyes fixed on the Master and their ears given to his nectar-like words, were oblivious of its motion.Dakshineswar, with its temples and gardens, was left behind. The paddles of the boat churned the waters of the Ganges with a murmuring sound. But the devotees were indifferent to all this. Spellbound, they looked on a great yogi, his face lighted with a divine smile, his countenance radiating love, his eyes sparkling with joy-a man who had renounced all for God and who knew nothing but God. Unceasing words of wisdom flowed from his lips.
Reasoning of jnanis
MASTIER: "The jnanis, who adhere to the non-dualistic philosophy of Vedanta, say that the acts of creation, preservation, and destruction, the universe itself and all its living beings, are the manifestations of Sakti, the Divine Power. If you reason it out, you will realize that all these are as illusory as a dream. Brahman alone is the Reality, and all else is unreal. Even this very Sakti is unsubstantial, like a dream.
"But though you reason all your life, unless you are established in samadhi, you cannot go beyond the jurisdiction of Sakti. Even when you say, 'I am meditating', or 'I am contemplating', still you are moving in the realm of Sakti, within Its power".
Identity of Brahman and Sakti
"Thus Brahman and Sakti are identical. If you accept the one, you must accept the other. It is like fire and its power to burn. If you see the fire, you must recognize its power to burn also. You cannot think of fire without its power to burn, nor can you think of the power to burn without fire. You cannot conceive of the sun's rays without the sun, nor can you conceive of the sun without its rays.
"What is milk like? Oh, you say, it is something white. You cannot think of the milk without the whiteness, and again, you cannot think of the whiteness without the milk.
Thus one cannot think of Brahman without Sakti, or of Sakti without Brahman. One cannot think of the Absolute without the Relative, or of the Relative without the Absolute".
"The Primordial Power is ever at play. She is creating, preserving, and destroying in play, as it were. This Power is called Kali. Kali is verily Brahman, and Brahman is verily Kali. It is one and the same Reality. When we think of It as inactive, that is to say, not engaged in the acts of creation, preservation, and destruction, then we call It Brahman. But when It engages in these activities, then we call It Kali or Sakti. The Reality is one and the same; the difference is in name and form.
"It is like water, called in different languages by different names, such as 'jal', 'pani', and so forth. There are three or four ghats on a lake. The Hindus, who drink water at one place, call it 'jal'. The Mussalmans at another place call it 'pani'. And the English at a third place call it 'water'. All three denote one and the same thing, the difference being in the name only. In the same way, some address the Reality as 'Allah', some as 'God', some as 'Brahman', some as 'Kali', and others by such names as 'Rama', 'Jesus', 'Durga', 'Hari.' "

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
Dear Sri Silentgreen,

This is one beautiful,beautiful thread! How much love and devotion in it,how much entusiasm... Truly heart touching.

Thank You Very much!

I am your true mother, a mother not by virtue of being your guru's wife, nor by way of empty talk, but truly the mother.

If my son wallows in the dust or mud, it is I who have to wipe all the dirt and take him on my lap.

My son, if a thorn pricks your foot, it hurts me like a spear entering my heart. Never fear, and whenever you are in distress just say to yourself,
"I have a mother"

Sri Sarada Devi
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:43:26 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »

A Hymn To The Divine Mother

Thou most beautiful! Whose holy hands 
Hold pleasure and hold pain! Doer of good! 
Who art Thou? The water of existence 
By Thee is whirled and tossed in mighty waves. 
Is it, O Mother, to restore again 
This universe's broken harmony 
That Thou, without cessation, art at work?

Oh! May the Mother of the universe-- 
In whose activity no respite rests, 
Incessantly distributing the fruits 
Of action done, guiding unceasingly 
All action yet to come--bestow Her boon 
Of blessing on me, Her child, for evermore. 
I realise, I know, that it is Thou 
Who holdest in Thy hands dread Karma's rope.

Is it inherent nature? Something uncreate? 
Or Destiny? Some unforeseen result?-- 
Who lacking nothing, is accountable,
Whose chain of will, untrammelled, grasps the laws, 
May She, the Primal Guide, my shelter be!

Manifestations of Her glory show 
In power of immeasurable might, 
Throughout the universe, powers that swell 
The sea of birth and death, forces that change 
And break up the Unchanged and changed again. 
Lo! Where shall we seek refuge, save in Her?

To friend and foe Thy lotus-eyes are even; 
Ever Thine animating touch brings fruit 
To fortunate and unfortunate alike; 
The shade of death and immortality-- 
Both these, O mother, are Thy grace Supreme! 
Mother Supreme! Oh, may Thy gracious face 
Never be turned away from me, Thy child!

What Thou art, the Mother? the All. How praise? 
My understanding is so little worth. 
'Twere like desire to seize with hands of mine 
The sole Supporter of the universe! 
So, at Thy blessed feet--contemplated 
By the Goddess of Fortune Herself--the abode 
Of fearlessness, worshipped by service true-- 
There, at those blessed feet, I take refuge!

She who, since birth, has ever led me on 
Through paths of trouble to perfection's goal. 
Mother-wise, in Her own sweet playful ways, 
She, who has always through my life inspired 
My understanding, She, my Mother, She, 
The All, is my resort, whether r my work 
O'erflow with full fruition or with none.

- Swami Vivekananda

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »

Parvati had fallen in love with Shiva and she didn’t know what she could do about it. She thought of Shiva all the time.

One day the sage Narada came and told her, Shiva is only pleased with tapasya. Without tapasya, even Brahma and the other gods do not get to see Shiva. Why don’t you perform tapasya?

Parvati decided to do what Narada had asked her to. She asked her parents for permission. Her father agreed with alacrity. Although her mother Menaka was not at all keen that Parvati should perform difficult tapasya, she too eventually agreed.

Parvati gave up her jewellery and handsome clothes. She wore deerskin instead. There is a peak in the Himalayas known as Gouriskikhara. It is there that Parvati went for her tapasy. The meditation was very difficult. During the monsson Parvati meditated while seated on the ground. In the winter she mediated under the water. Wild beats dared not harm her. All the gods and sages assembled to see this wonderful tapasya. The gods and the sages also began to pray to Shiva. Lord, can’t you see that Parvati is performing difficult tapasya? They asked. No one has meditated like this before. No one will meditate like this in the future. Please grant her what she wants.

Shiva adopted the form of an old brahmana (the first of the four classes) and appeared at Parvati’s hermitage. Parvati welcomed the old man and worshipped him with flowers and fruits.

Why are you meditating? asked the brahmana. What is it that you want?

I wish to have Shiva as a husband, replied Parvati.

You are indeed stupid. Said the brahmana. That is like giving up gold for a piece of glass or giving sandalwood for mud. Does anyone give up the water of the Ganga and drink water from a well instead? Marry one of the gods instead, go and marry Indra. Shiva is a stupid fellow. He has three eyes and five faces. His hair is matted and his body is smeared with ashes. He wears snakes as garlands. He is always accompanied by ghosts, He has no clothes and no wealth. No one knows who his parent are. He live sin the forst and his throat is blue with poison. I think you are making a big mistake. Forget about Shiva and don’t waste your life.

The brahmana’s words angered Parvati. It is you who are stupid, she said. You don’t know a thing about Shiva. He is the lord of everthing. You have insulted Shiva and cursed am I that I made the mistake of worshipping you. You are again going to say something nasty about Shiva. But before you can do that, let me go away. I shall not stay to hear Shiva insulted.

As Parfati was about to depart, Shiva adopted his own form and said, Where are you going? I thought that you were praying for me. You can’t forsake me now. I am not going to let you go. Ask for a boon.

Please marry me according to the prescribed rites, replied Parvati.

Shiva agreed and Parvati returned home.

Siva Puranam

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
Maa Durga

Adi Shankara's Bhavani Ashtakam starts with:
न तातो न माता न बन्धुर्न दाता
न पुत्रो न पुत्री न भृत्यो न भर्ता ।
न जाया न विद्या न वृत्तिर्ममैव
गतिस्त्वं गतिस्त्वं त्वमेका भवानि ॥

Na Tato Na Mata Na Bandhur Na Data
Na Putro Na Putri Na Bhrtyo Na Bharta
Na Jaya Na Vidya Na Vrttir Mama Iva
Gatis Tvam Gatis Tvam Tvam Eka Bhavani

Neither father nor mother; Neither relation nor friend, nor the donor,
Neither son nor daughter, neither servant nor husband,
Neither wife, nor worldly knowledge or profession,
You are my refuge, You alone are my refuge, O Mother Bhavani.

The Divine Mother is the mother of mother, father of father and friend of friend. When all else fails, or when life seems to be hopeless, people turn towards the compassionate face of God Who can soothe without judging the many shortcomings of us.

Who is there in our worldly life who can comfort us more than our mother? Then how much more is the mother of mother, Who has filled all the mothers with compassion?

Jai Durga
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:07:35 PM by silentgreen »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
நீ இரங்காய் எனில் புகல் ஏது? - அம்பா
நிகில ஜகன்னாதன் மார்பில் உறை திரு
(நீ இரங்காய் எனில்)

தாய் இரங்கா விடில், சேய் உயிர் வாழுமோ?
சகல உலகிற்கும் நீ, தாய் அல்லவோ அம்பா?
(நீ இரங்காய் எனில்)

பாற்கடலில் உதித்த திருமகளே - செள
பாக்ய லட்சுமி என்னைக் கடைக்கணியே
நாற்கவியும் பொழியும் புலவோர்க்கும் - மெய்
ஞானியர்க்கும் உயர் வானவர்க்கும் அம்பா
(நீ இரங்காய் எனில்)

Nee irangayenil pugal yethu,Amba
Nikhila Jagan nathan Marbil urai

Thai irangavidil chei uyir vaazhumo,
Sakala Uyirkkum nee Thayallavo, amba

Paar kadalil uditha thiru maniye, sou,
Bhagyalakshmi Yennai kadai kanniye,
Naar kaviyum pozhiyum pulavorkkum , mey
Jnaniyakkum Uyarvanavarkkum , Amba

Oh mother who stays in the chest of,
The Lord of all places of universe
If you do not take pity on me ,where can I get support.

If theirr mother does not take pity, will the babies survive,
Oh mother are you not mother for all beings.

Oh divine gem who was born out of the ocean of milk,
Oh Bountiful Lakshmi , who takes care by supporting like a chain,,
All the poets who write different types of poems,
As well as those people who have realized the truth.
And to all those people who are great, Oh mother

Paapanaasam Sivan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:24:23 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 12:33:46 PM »
Maa Durga

"Ma" is  the central theme of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

The full name of the author "Mahendranath Gupta" while writing the Gospel became "M", which is the starting point of "Ma".

From this starting point, the "katha amrita" or the nectar of words of Sri Ramakrishna flowed out to expound "Ma". As it flowed out the divine ebriation made the "Master" and "Ma" one.

After all, what is "Master"?
"Master" is "Ma-Star", the one who points to the eternal star, which is "Ma".

Jai Durga
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:08:17 PM by silentgreen »

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »
Dear Silentgreen,

Please write something on the Devi Khadgamala.

Thanks

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
Maa Durga

Devi Khadgamala stotram is recited in the Sri Vidya tradition. Like the devotees of Arunachala does parayana of Arunachala hill and salutes all the Lingams on the way, the devotees of the Sri Vidya tradition does the parayana of the Sri Chakra reciting this stotram. Traditionally Sri Vidya is very secretive and the guru tells the disciple how to contemplate / meditate on each manifestation of the Devi in each of the enclosures. It is said that this powerful stotra provides a Mala (garland) of Khadga (Sword signifying protection of the Divine Mother) to the devotees reciting it. (The Khadgamala stotra is available in the internet).

The name khadgamala is quite interesting from other aspects. Khadga is sword and Mala is garland of severed heads of demons worn by the Devi. The demons signify ego, so our various manifestations of ego and layers of delusions are those heads.

The tradition of Devi has a different approach compared to Advaita preached by many, although the goal is same. Here one does not say in one stroke that the world is unreal, so either ignore it or relax. One does not say we are already self-realized. The word "Maya" is interesting since it consists of "Ma" and "Ya". "Ya" in sanskrit means "She Who". So She Who is Ma is also Maya, infact Mahamaya. Also the reverse word "Yama" signifies death or death of the ego, and it also contains "Ya" and "Ma". So She Who is Maya is also Yama, the death of the ego.

The Sri Chakra represents the entire Cosmos, both internal and external whose central point bindu is where the Devi resides in Her absolute conscious form, as the union of Kameswara and Kameswari. All the enclosures can be thought of as the gradations of what we normally call "beyond", and find it difficult to penetrate, like the durga (Fort). Tantric tradition has this distinctive feature. It does not say everything is Atmosphere in one go and summarize. It penetrates those and lists out the distinctive features, often symbolically; like Atmosphere itself has several layers (Exosphere, Thermosphere, Mesosphere etc). In this exploration has come out the chakra system. Centers are listed beyond Sahasra. The subtlelity of the higher manifestations have been represented by maatras. So Sri Vidya conveys the message that everything is Mother, She has different levels of manifestations, She is both Absolute as well as behind Maya.

Swami Vivekananda said that "Man is not travelling from error to truth, but climbing up from truth to truth, from truth that is lower to truth that is higher". Similarly here a person moves from "Ma" to "Ma", from less intimate relationship of Ma to more intimate relationship of Ma. Here Maya is also Ma, and Absolute is also Ma. A person proceeds inwards from the outer enclosures.

In business the future prospect of a person is growth in business, like taking it from 5 lakhs to 10 lakhs. But here the future prospect is "khadgamala", i.e. progressively getting our heads severed. Nobody will like to think about such prospect, much less accept it. And apparently no one forces to accept this. But Ma is also Mahamaya. Life situations may give rise to so much sufferings or emptiness that one starts thinking that khadgamala is a better option. The movement of khadga is everywhere in life. The wealth of a person suddenly goes away, the old age severs the physical capabilities one by one, and finally the undeniable death. So Ma is there in both fortune and misfortune.

So does Ma rejoice in our misfortunes and wear them as mala? No.
Because within a mis-fortune may be hidden a fortune. It may take one to deeper life. Also, a mis-fortune may signify that it was not our fortune first of all. It was the fortune of Ma and She has re-arranged it. So the fortune gets re-arranged and the attachment gets severed and goes to Ma as a head in mala. Also, death is not the end of everything, but only a stroke of khadga and a bead of mala to ma. This is one aspect of khadgamala.

So khadgamala is a journey of relationship with Ma, amidst the ups and downs of life, seeing Ma behind every stroke of khadga. Everything changes externally but relationship with Ma becomes more intimate, always asking for Her grace and facing the bindu.

Jai Durga
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:10:19 PM by silentgreen »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
"My Mother! Who is my Mother? Ah, She is the Mother of the Universe. It is She who creates and preserves the world, who always protects Her children, and who grants whatever they desire: dharma, artha, kama, moksha. A true son cannot live away from his
mother. The Mother knows everything. The child only eats, drinks, and makes merry; he doesn't worry himself about the things of the world."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
Dear Silent Green,

Thank you.  Is chanting the DKM a substitute for those who can't do the srividya pujai every day

Child of Arunachala