Author Topic: Important self-enquiry quotes  (Read 8691 times)

snow

• View Profile
Important self-enquiry quotes
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:42:36 AM »
These are the quotes that in my opinion summarise the essence of the investigation of the self.

If one watches where the notion of ‘I’ springs, the mind will be absorbed into that. That is tapas. If a mantra is repeated and attention is directed to the source where the mantra sound is produced, the mind will be absorbed into that. That is tapas.”

"Self-enquiry is certainly not an empty formula and it is more than the repetition of any mantra. If the enquiry `Who am I?' were a mere mental Questioning, it would not be of much value. The very purpose of self-enquiry is to focus the entire mind at its source. It is not, therefore, a case of one `I' searching for another `I'. Much less is self-enquiry an empty formula, for it involves an intense activity of the entire mind to keep it steadily poised in pure Self-awareness."

"Breath and mind arise from the same source and when one of them is controlled the other is also controlled. As a matter of fact, in the quest method — which is more correctly `Whence am I?’ and not merely `Who am I?’ — we are not simply trying to eliminate, saying `We are not the body, nor
the senses and so on’, to reach what remains as the ultimate reality, but we are trying to find out whence the `I-thought’ or the ego arises within us. The method contains within it, though implicitly and not expressly, the watching of the breath. When we watch wherefrom the `I-thought’ arises, we are necessarily watching the source of breath also, as the `I-thought’ and the breath arise from the same source."

D: "How to make the Quest, ‘Who am I?’
M: "The way is subjective, not objective; so it cannot and need not be shown by another. Is it necessary to show anyone the way inside his own house? If the seeker keeps his mind still, that will be enough."

And from another talk with Bhagavan

"D.: I do not understand what I should do.
M: If it is anything objective the way can be shown objectively. This
is subjective.

D.: But I do not understand.
M.: What! Do you not understand that you are?
D.: Please tell me the way.
M.: Is it necessary to show the way in the interior of your own home?
This is within you."

snow

• View Profile
Re: Important self-enquiry quotes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:59 AM »
Oops, almost forgot this one:

"What is essential in any sadhana [practice] is to try to bring back the running mind and fix it on one thing only. Why then should it not be brought back and fixed in Self-attention? That alone is Self-enquiry (atma-vicara). That is all that is to be done!"

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:52:07 AM »
Can anyone translate this? I would really like to know what all this means.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Talk 642
Mr. K. L. Sarma asked:
Svasvarupanusandhanam bhaktirityabhidhiyate.
Again - Svatmatattvanusadhanam bhaktirityapare joguh.
What is the difference between the two?

Maharshi.: The former is vichara - Who am I? (Koham?) It represents jnana.
The latter is dhyana - Whence am I? (Kutoham?) This admits a
jivatma which seeks the Paramatma.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:20:11 AM »

Dear snow,

Very nice summary of Bhagavan Ramana's teachings.

Bhagavan Ramana has always stressed the need for self inquiry
or meditation.  In fact, He says that the difference is only in approach. Inquiry is investigating the nature of mind and retaining it in the Self. Meditation is contemplating that one's self is Brahman and Sat Chit Anandam. 

For the question of M. Sivaprakasam Pillai [Qn. No. 27], Bhagavan
Ramana has given in writing:-

Question:  What is the difference between enquiry and meditation?

Bhagavan:  Enquiry consists in retaining the mind in the Self.
Meditation consists in thinking that one's self is Brahman and
Existence-Knowledge-Bliss.

Regarding the sloka in Talks, I shall go through it and try to give my
translation.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »

Dear snow,

Regarding the sloka mentioned in the question:-

This is from Vivekachudamani.

Swasrupa anusandhanam -  The investigation of one's own Self;
Swasrupam is Atma.  We are all Atma only.  One, when he investigates it and realizes the Swarupam, the Self, this investigation is called Vicharam.  Here Sri Sankara uses the word
that this is only bhakti, devotion.  Without devotion to Self, without desiring the Self, one cannot investigate Its nature.  Sri Sankara here does not distinguish it as vicharam but calls it only devotion, bhakti. bhaktirityabhidhityate - it is only bhakti.

Swatmatatva anusanthanam  - One investigating his own Jivatma
tattvam - it is called as bhakti by some persons.  bhaktrityapare joguh - some persons would call it, as bhakti.  Here Swatmatatvam is one's Jivatma.  One keeps the Jivatma and with it he does bhakti.  Hence it is called bhakti.

What is Jivatma?  It is one's self or the ego.  There is no jivatma
without ego.  Hence one does bhakti with his ego.  And this bhakti blooms as dhayana and saranagati - surrender.  When this bhakti
matures into surrender, the ego gets nullified, and there is only
Atma.  One may call it as Paramatma.  The fact is there is only
Atma. Jivatma and Paramatma differentiation comes in bhakti only, till Jivatma blooms as Paramatma.  Swatma becomes Swasrupam,
one's own Real Self.     

Bhagavan Ramana says in Who am I?:-

Answer to Question No.8 : .... What is referred to as the Self is the
Atman.  The mind always exists only in dependence on something gross.  It cannot stay alone.  It is the mind that is called the subtle
body or the soul [jivatma].

Answer to Question No. 18:-  [Who is the greatest devotee?]
He who gives himself up to the Self that is God is the most excellent devotee.  Giving one's self up to God means remaining constantly
in the Self without giving room for rise of any thoughts other than
the thought of the Self.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

Dear snow,

The Vivekachudamani verses are No. 31 and 32.

The questioner in Talks No. 642 has combined these two slokas.

The sloka No. 31 reads fully as under:

Moksha karana samagryam bhaktireva gariyasee |
Swasrupa anusandhanam bhaktrityabhidhiyate ||

Among the various causes for liberation, bhakti is paramount.
Investigation or contemplation of one's own Swasrupam is called
bhakti.

This is from advatic standpoint. Supreme Self is immanent in all
beings.  Hence devotion to Swasrupam is, as Bhagavan Ramana
has said is vicharam. Narada defines it as:  It is of the nature of
extreme love to one's Being. 

The Sloka No. 32 reads fully as under:-

Swatmanusandhanam bhaktirityaparejagu |
uktasadhana sampannas tattvajignasurotmana |
upseedhedh gurum prajnam yasmat bhandha vimokshanam ||

Others maintain that the inquiry into the Truth of one's own
Self is devotion.  The inquirer about the Truth of the Atman who is possessed of the above mentioned means of attainment should
approach a Guru who confers emancipation from bondage.

This is simply putting the statement of the previous sloka in
another way, for we are the Atman in reality, though ignorance [ego, Jivatma] has veiled the Truth from us. 

For self inquiry, for a mature person,  there is no need for outside Guru.  Atma within itself is the guru.  For mature devotees, to proceed further to inquiry, one needs an external guru.  Hence the second sloka speaks about approaching the guru.

Arunachala Siva.           

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 01:56:28 AM »
Ahh, thank you very much for the thorough explanation dear Subramanian.

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
Maharshi:Make effort. Just as water is got by boring well, so also you realise the Self by investigation.
Devotee:Yes. But some find water readily and others with difficulty.
Maharshi: But you already see the moisture on the surface. You are hazily aware of the Self. Pursue it. When the effort ceases the Self shines forth.

http://freddieyam.com/p/quotes_ramana.html

Bhagavan [Ramana] then told me, "Fix the mind in the Heart. If you keep your attention at the source from where all thoughts arise, the mind will subside at the source and reality will shine forth."
— quoted by Mastan in Power of the Presence Part Three edited by David Godman, page 26

She said, one day, "Bhagavan, please give me some upadesa." Bhagavan gave her a benign look and replied: "Don't ever lose awareness of your being."
— quoted in Moments Remembered by V. Ganesan, page 48.

When he told the Maharshi that he had failed to get any kind of beneficial experience from following the practice, the Maharshi replied, "To get the experience one should not rely on buddhi [the discriminating intellect] alone, one should combine it with the firm conviction [bhavana] 'I am': one who has that thought is also 'I', pure consciousness. With such a feeling one should go deep within and take hold of the experience.
— Swami Madhavatirtha in The Power of the Presence Part One edited by Daivd Godman, page 236

Mrs. D. said there were breaks in her awareness and desired to know how the awareness might be made continuous.
M.: Breaks are due to thoughts. You canot be aware of breaks unless you think so. It is only a thought. Repeat the old practice, "To whom do thoughts arise?" Keep up the practice until there are no breaks. Practice alone will bring about continuity of awareness.
— Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi, number 628.

"Vichara is the process and the goal also. ‘I am’ is the goal and the final reality. To hold to it with effort is vichara.
When spontaneous and natural it is realization."
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:14:52 PM by snow »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »

Dear snow,

Very nice quotes.  Sri Bhagavan told Akhilandamma, who introduced
Mastan to Sri Bhagavan, when she pressed for some upadesa:

"What upadesa can I give?  Ennaiye enakku kodu.

'Give my Self to me.'

Akhilandamma did not understand this first.  Then after many
years she understood that to ask Guru or God to give her Self
to her, is the meaning.  This is the essence of self enquiry and
investigation.

For some others like Muruganar, Annamalai Swami and to an
unknown Harijan, Sri Bhagavan told: Siva, Siva.  If one cannot
investigate as to who the real Self he is, then he can chant mantra.  This mantra also makes the mind quiescent and finally
the mind is curled up in the Self.

Arunachala Siva.   

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
Brilliant!

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj:
"The 'I am' is not a direction. It is the negation of all direction."

"Separate consistently and perseveringly the 'I am' from 'this' or 'that', and try to feel what it means to be, just to be, without being 'this' or 'that'."

"Realisation is nothing new to be acquired. It is already there, but obstructed by a screen of thoughts. All our attempts are directed to lifting this screen and then realisation is revealed." - Ramana Maharshi

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:09 AM »
Wonderful thread. Thank you.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »

Dear Adam, Snow,

Once a Westerner asked Sri Bhagavan:  Should I become an ascetic
or a Hindu to realize the Self?

Sri Bhagavan smiled and replied:  You need not have to be this and that.  Be as you are.  Be still.

Arunachala Siva.

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
(Question) 4. When one enquires into the root of "self-conceit" which is of the form 'I', all sorts of different thoughts without number seem to rise; and not any separate 'I' thought.

(Answer:) Whether the nominative case, which is the first case, appears or not, the sentences in which the other cases appear have as their basis the first case; similarly, all the thoughts that appear in the heart have as their basis the egoity which is the first mental mode 'I', the cognition of the form "I am the body"; thus, it is the rise of egoity that is the cause and source of the rise of all other thoughts; therefore, if the self-conceit of the form of egoity which is the root of the illusory tree of samsara [bondage consisting of transmigration] is destroyed, all other thoughts will perish completely like an uprooted tree. Whatever thoughts arise as obstacles to one's sadhana [spiritual discipline] - the mind should not be allowed to go in their direction, but should be made to rest in one's Self [one's true nature] which is the Atman; one should remain as witness to whatever happens, adopting the attitude "Let whatever strange things happen, happen; let us see!" This should be one's practice. In other words, one should not identify oneself with appearances; one should never relinquish one's Self.

This is the proper means for destruction of the mind [manonasa] which is of the nature of seeing the body as Self, and which is the cause of all the aforesaid obstacles. This method which easily destroys egoity deserves to be called devotion [bhakti], meditation [dhyana], concentration [yoga], and knowledge [jnana]. Because God remains of the nature of the Self, shining as 'I' in the heart, because the scriptures declare that thought itself is bondage, the best discipline is to stay quiescent without ever forgetting Him [God, the Self], after resolving in Him the mind which is of the form of the 'I'-thought, no matter by what means. This is the conclusive teaching of the Scriptures.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »

Dear snow,

Nice quote from Sri Bhagavan.  On Friday morning, after the puja,
and arti, one gentleman [an inmate of the Asrmam] was singing
Tiru Chuzhiyal Padigam of Muruganar.  Tiruchuzhi is the place where
Sri Bhagavan was born.  It is a small village, where there is a Siva
Temple.

Muruganar says in that decad:  Even if I forget you, my tongue will
be uttering your name!  There are occasions like fainting, sleep,
coma etc., where even a serious sadhaka can forget Sri Bhagavan.
Muruganar says even at that time, my tongue will be [silently]
uttering your name.  This is the continuous current of remembering
the Self or the Guru.

One song is like this:

Lord Ramana, Master of wisdom shining
On the Vedas' loft crown,
Because I came to you, I have gained
This bliss unparalelled.
Lord of ancient Pandyan Tiruchuzhi,
By still, clear minds adored,
I may perhaps sometimes forget you,
But my tongue shall for ever your Name utter.

Singing musically the Tamizh original version is a divine experience.  When that gentleman in the Asramam sang it,
tears welled up in my eyes.

[/b]

Arunachala Siva.       

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
From Ramana Maharshi's work Nan Yar, paragraph six.

"When [our] subtle mind goes out through the portal of [our] brain and sense organs, gross names and forms [the thoughts or mental images that constitute our mind, and the objects that constitute this world] appear; when it remains in [our] heart [the core of our being], names and forms disappear. Only to [this state of] retaining [our] mind in [our] heart without letting [it] go outwards [is] the name 'ahamukham' ['I-facing' or self-attention] or 'antarmukham' ['inward-facing' or introversion] [truly applicable]. Only to [the state of] letting [it] go outwards [is] the name 'bahirmukham' ['outward-facing' or extroversion] [truly applicable]. Only when [our] mind remains firmly established in [our] heart in this manner, will [our primal thought] 'I', which is the root [base, foundation or origin] of all thoughts, go [leave, disappear or cease to be], and will [our] ever-existing [real] self alone shine."

"Really Vichara begins when you cling to the Self and are already off the mental movement, the thought-waves." - Ramana Maharshi

Nisargadatta Maharaj:
Indifferent to pain and pleasure, neither seeking, nor refusing, give all your attention to
the level on which ‘I am’ is timelessly present
. Soon you will
realize that peace and happiness are in your very nature and it is
only seeking them through some particular channels that disturbs.

"Even without words you know that ‘you are’. Do not say or
even think that ‘you are’, just be aware of the presence without
thinking about it."