Author Topic: Aim of Life  (Read 2339 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Aim of Life
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
For a person having a spiritual goal, the aim of life is Self-Realisation or God-Realisation and subsequently merging in Brahman. This is from the individual's point of view. The underlying purpose is often to escape from the miseries of the world and/or find joy of God and/or understand the real nature of life itself. However considering the aim of life from the perspective of God brings in new light. Here the question is not:
What is our aim of life?
but rather
What is the aim of life of God? (as far as God makes us understand)

Does God want Self-Realisation of all at the same time and merging all in Brahman?
It does not appear so, because had God so wanted He would not have created the universe in the first place. Before creation there was only Brahman and no individuals and God has started creation out of His Ananda. So Self-Realisation and merging in Brahman is a big achievement from the individual's point of view but not from God's point of view. When a person merges in Brahman, only one individual merges, but the rest of creation still continues.

In the Bhagavat Gita it is said that the world is deluded by the Maya of God (in the form of three gunas etc). We know that Maya is the main reason for our sufferings. So we are tempted to ask Sri Krishna: Why have you created Maya in the first place? We may reason out that suffering is due to our karma but then the question is: Why have God created the phenomenon of karma in the first place?

In the Bhagavat Gita it is said that Self-Realisation / God-Realisation is very rare, which on the other hand means that delusion is predominant. Therefore before creation God must have been aware that individuals will get into the ego trap and suffer. But inspite of all this, God has created the universe out of joy and enjoys the creation.

When the devas in grave distress approach Lord Vishnu uttering trahimam, trahimam, Lord Vishnu first of all smiles and greets them. One part of Lord Vishnu is always shown to remain in eternal bliss and the other part takes active part in fight against the demons as Avatara.

The eternally peaceful and the intermittent suffering is also depicted in the Upanishads in the story of two birds, one sitting in eternal peace on a higher branch and the other eating sweet and bitter fruits and enjoying and suffering intermittently.

When Sri Ramakrishna was suffering from throat cancer, one part of him was suffering and the other part was in eternal bliss.

So what is the aim of life of the individual?
The aim of life of individual is the aim of life of God at the individual level.

God wants to play His Leela through individuals but as God can play with one part suffering and other part co-existing in eternal bliss, individuals can also play the same way at a smaller scale.

Sri Ramakrishna once said to Swami Turiyananda:
The granny likes to have the children run about and make the game go on. She may extend her hand to help a child so that it cannot be caught by the thief, if she thinks it necessary. Similarly, the Divine Mother is not really pleased with those who seek nirvana, for they want to retire from the game. She likes the game to continue. That is why devotees do not seek nirvana. They say, "O mind, it is not good to become sugar, but I want to eat sugar."

Sri Ramakrishna once said something like: "The teeth of the mother cat bites the enemy but not the kitten".
The Maya of God is like the teeth of the cat. The ego separated from the God feels the bite. When a person takes refuge in God whole-heartedly, God seems to be like the mother cat who does not bite but lovingly carries the kitten from place to place. In other words, the devotee starts feeling the eternally blissful part of God now which offsets the part that suffers.

When Sri Krishna was leaving Gokula for Mathura, Sri Radha out of pangs of separation said to Sri Krishna: "You are Bhagavan, you do not want anything.", in other words, your going does not make you suffer the least, so why bother about me. Sri Krishna said in an emotional tone: "It is true that Bhagavan does not want anything. Bhagavan wants only love".

And it is this motive of love that makes God create, play, enjoy and suffer.

(These are my points of view, so if there is any disagreement, there is no need to worry)
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Aim of Life
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »

Dear silentgreen,

God wants ever human being and even some other non human beings
to reach the feet of God, which is nothing but Self Realization.
But Maya is also created by God which is nothing but God's power
as also its grace.  The Maya is forerunner as the Maha Maya was born
even before Krishna was born, or was born along with Krishna.  This
Maya gives both suffering and happiness.  Both are to be eschewed
by the grace of God.  Without God's grace, one cannot cross the
samasara of dyads.  Suffering for some people becomes a catalyst
to attain God's feet.

Because the horses that were brought by Siva in disguise became
foxes, Saint Manikkavachagar who was imprisoned was let out for
a day and then rearrested.  He was asked to walk on the hot sandy
summer dry Vaigai river, in barefoot, with hot bricks on his head,
by the Pandya Kings. But he bore it with perseverance trusting that
it is all Siva's leela.  He did not say, O Siva, I am not able to bear with this sufferings.  He only said:  Why all this?  Please relieve me
of this human body.  Siva was pleased with his forbearance and
made the king quickly to understand his folly and released Manikkavahchagar to go to various temples and sing his glory.
Which Jnani has not suffered in this world?  Very few are rare exceptions.   SRK and Bhagavan Ramana both suffered in their lives.
But what they did not leave is the trust in God or desire to get liberated and disembodied. 

Mumukshutvam, sraddha and bhakti are the pre-requisites for
correct aim of life or the only aim of life.

Tharikkelen kaya vaazhkai, Sankara potri....  (Saint Manikkavachagar, Neethal Vinnappam, Tiruvachakam.)

I shall not have this embodied life, O Sankara, salutation to you!

Arunachala Siva.

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
Dear silentgreen, do you mean God itself knows suffering thought the individuals?

It's a very good post and something which has always puzzled me, as to why there should be anything at all.

I do find having a purpose in life is itself is a blessing, so many are aimless and unhappy. 

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
Dear kde,

Only God knows the full secret why He has created. We can only guess from our experiences and the experiences of others in the microcosm.

God and individuals are not separate in essence, but God has separated Himself with the skilful art of Maya (delusion) so that though not being separate in essence, there is separation by ego. The ego is at a much higher abstraction level than essence. The separation by ego is such that there can be suffering and joy in the ego-level without affecting the ever blissful essence. God creates to give expression to the Bliss which He/She/It feels at the essence-level. The suffering in the ego-level is real but the great bliss in the essence-level compensates it.

A person whose spiritual consciousness is not awakened only operates in the ego-level and hence feels both joys and sorrows of that level. When spiritual consciousness gets awakened, the person starts becoming conscious of the essence-level bliss which compensates his ego-level sufferings.

It is like a very rich man gambling. The loss of money is real, but the rich man has so much money that the loss does not make him suffer. He often enjoys the loss. On the other hand when a tight-budget man gambles, a loss creates lot of tension in him, because he has no backup resource to compensate it. An expert musician who is full of music gives expression to his music by playing the instrument. The musician also has to do hard work during practice. However his suffering during practice is more than compensated by the creativity and joy he feels within during practice.

So God suffers with individuals at the ego-level (though not identified with it) but at the sametime is ever blissful in the essence level.

God is like a great poet whose creation is a poetry for Him.

(These are only my points of view and may differ with others)
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »

Dear kde,

When mathematicians for the past 50 years are not even able to
find solutions to his Notes [which contains formulae without answers],
how can one know God's, the greatest mathematician's formulae.
That is why he is called PeraRivu [the Great Jnanam] in Tamizh
and we are called human beings of ChitraRivu [small Jnanam].

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »

I forgot to mention name of that great mathematician, he is called
Srinivasa Ramanujam.

Arunachala Siva.

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
Thanks to you both for your posts.

It is clear as to how there can be suffering at the ego level yet not affecting the bliss level.

silentgreen, I like your analogy of the very rich gambling man. Only the spiritual awakenening goes at its own pace. Truly I feel that I know less than ever. And have more uncertainty not less.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »

Dear silentgreen,

I had been to Tiruvannmalai, and was there on 3rd to 5th evening.
One gentleman told me what Bhagavan Ramana had said:  The aim of life is to realize the Self in thoughtless space within, and allowing the body to run through its course of happiness and miseries. The
gentleman was having only one leg and did pradaksina of Bhagavan
Ramana's Samadhi, innumerable times for more than two hours!

We are all talking and he is practicing!

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »
well said Subramanian garu. yes mere "parrot" theory without practice will make us land in "Fraud Swami Nityananda" type of devotion category  :)

Glad to know that you have been to ramana ashramam which i have expected as we could not see your mails from past 2 days.