Author Topic: Profound Self-enquiry  (Read 4558 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Profound Self-enquiry
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »
   From 'Who Am I',

Devotee:       Are there no other ways of destroying the mind ?
 Sri BhAGWAN: There is no other adequate method except Self-enquiry.If the mind is lulled by other means it stays
                     quit for a little and then springs up again and resumes its former activity.
 Devotee:        But when will all the instincts and tendencies (VASANAS), such as that to self-preservation,
                     be subdued in us ?
 Sri Bhagwan:   The more you withdraw into the Self, the more these tendencies wither, and finally they
                     drop off.

When Sri Ganapati Sastri submitted to Sri Bhagwan that all that had to be read he had read,even Vedanta 
  Sastra  he had fully understood; he had performed japa to his heart's content; yet had he not up to that time
  understood what tapes was. Therefore, he sought refuse at His feet. He prayed to Sri Bhagwan to enlighten
  him as to the nature of tapas.

Sri Bhagwan : " If one watches whence the notion 'I' arises, the mind is absorbed into That; that is tapas. When
                      a mantra is repeated, if one watches the Source from which point exactly in the body
                      the mantra sound is produced the mind is absorbed in that ; that is tapas."

From Talks,
  Sri Bhagwan: The quest "Who am I" is the axe with which to cut the ego.

Profound,profound Self-enquiry can penetrate to the core of one's being and break it open.
 Watching keenly, with one pointed concentration, the point from where exactly the mantra sound is
 produced is, in my opinion, integral part of the Self-enquiry.

Thank you.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Profound Self-enquiry
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
 Dear Srkudai,

Analogy of a movie and coming of Sri Bhagwan and telling to withdraw from these mental pictures in that analogic
  movie is very, very apt, to say the least.I also feel quite the same way, Sir.Concentrating on either the right
  or left heart is not self Enquiry.Seeking the Source i.e. Consciousness and abiding as that,as you have so nicely
  explained,is the Self-enquiry.

Thank you, Sir.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
 Mountain Path ( April-June 2006) published an article titled 'Bassui Tokusho Zenji and Self-Enquiry' by Sri Reinhard
 Jung. Sri Bassui was a Zen Master who lived in the fourteenth century. Sri Jung has noted that Bassui's Teachings are quite akin to Sri Bhagwan's  and sometimes their use of key words are similar.

A few lines are quoted here from Sri Bassui's Sayings: (Source Mountain Path)

" Students of the Way should see directly into their inherent nature. Knowledge, ignorance, clarity, and confusion
   miss the point. Who is it that hears or doesn't hear; who is it that sees  or doesn't see? If you can answer
   you get thirty blows. If you can't answer, you also get thirty blows. What can you do to become intimate
   with your true nature without committing this offence".

Again'
 "When the profound questioning penetrates to the very bottom, and that bottom is broken open, not the
  slightest doubt will remain that your own Mind is itself Buddha, the Void-Universe.There will be no anxiety
  about life or death, no truth to search for...... ".

Again,
 " The four elements are without self. I am originally without a master. This masterless master is the body,
   and this selfless self is true nature. Body and nature are not two, and the ten thousand Dharmas
   are one. In this unity there are no sages and no ordinary people. Where can life, death,and nirvana
   come from ? The merit of existence  and non-existence does not apply to this wondrous wisdom.
   How can words or silence, movement or stillness affect it ? Just abandon the myriad Dharmas, discard reason
  let go of loss and gain, good and bad, this instant, and return to yourself and look cuttingly- Who is it
  that looks ?

"When you thoroughly penetrate this, the clarity stands out as lacqer black as a coal goose standing in the
  snow".

The above teaching is very similar to Sri Bhagwan's indeed.

Thank you.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »

Dear Anil,

Very nice.  Teachings of several Zen Masters echo only the advaitic
teachings of Sri Sankara and  Bhagavan Ramana.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian ji,

Ji, Yes, when I read about Zen Master, Sri Bassui, in the Mountain Path, I was wonderfully surprised over
 the similarities with our own Advaitic Teachers in general and with the Teaching of Sri Bhagwan Ramana in
 particular.Sri Reinhard Jung has reported ( Source: Mountain Path ) that just after Realisation, 'sweating profusely,while leaving Koho's room ( His Guru ), he was in such a daze that he bumped head several timrs when trying to find the outer gate. Upon reaching his hut, he wept for hours from his very depths, the tears pouring down his face like rain.Bassui's previous conceptions and beliefs were said to have been completely washed away
 by this heart stream. Sri Koho confirmed this deep enlightenment the next day and gave him the name
 Bassui, high above the average.

At the time of His Mahanirvana, Sri Jung observes, He sat in lotus- posture and addressed  His disciples:
 "Don't be misled ! Look closely ! What is this ?" He repeated these words and calmly left the body.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:44:43 PM »
 With respect to eradication of the vasanas and consequently preparation for the Self-enquiry, Sri Bhagwan
 said in "Who am I" that the more one withdraws into the Self, the more these tendencies wither
 and finally they drop off. Here I cite Verse No 277 from the Viveka Chudamani  the essence of which is the
 same as Sri Bhagwan's. The translation as well as transliteration are my own. Therefore, I request to kindly
 bear with it if there are errors.

"Yatha, yatha pratyagwasthitam man-
 statha tatha muncahati bahyavasanah
 nihsheshmokshe sati vasanana-
 matmanubhutih pratibadhshunya"

As the mind progressively goes on internalising, it, to that extent, drops off external vasanas and the time when
 all these vasanas are completely eradicated, at that time soul feels free of bondage.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana, in His free translation of Viveka Chudamani, wrote  on  Verses 277 to 279
 thus :
 " He must never forget the Self by giving room for worldly speech and sense objects.Sandalwood is
   fragrant by nature, but its fragrance is masked by a bad smell when it comes into contact with
   water and is revealed when it is rubbed. Constant practice of meditation is this rubbing.
   The latent tendencies of the mind are removed ,only to the extent to which it abides in the
   Self. It is by such constant abidance  in the Self that the mind of the yogi is destroyed.
   And by the destruction of the mind the outer non-Self tendencies  of the Heart are utterly eradicated".

Thank you.                 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:30:53 PM »
 Bhagwan Sri Ramana, in His free translation of Viveka Chudamani, has written on its Verse No 271 to 273 thus :
 ( Source-The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi )

"Realisation of the Self as it is does not come through tendencies  to worldly  or sense activity or through
  prolonged study of the scriptures. To those who seek deliverance from the prison  or ocean of samsara,
  the above threefold tendencies are iron fetters, say those who are realized. Therefore, attachment to the
  world, the scriptures, and the body must be given up".

On the Verse 281,

" And it must be fully realized that the body is sustained by the force of prarabdha. Yoy should, therefore,
   courageously renounce these attachments and strive energetically to overcome tamas by the power of sattva
   and rajas, then rajas through mixed sattva, then mixed sattva through pure sattva"

On Verses 281 to 284,

"You should do this with a firm and calm mind, helped by the great texts such as 'That thou art' which proclaim
  the identity between the individual self and Brahman".

On Verse no 283,

"He who meditates has no work to do except beg and perform his natural functions. He must never forget
  the Self by giving room for worldly speech and sense objects".   

Thus, it follows from the above that whoever is capable of internalising his mind even a little,he should,
   without wasting any further time,practice Self-enquiry right away.

Thank you.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »
   Dear Friends,

We, by the Grace of Sri Bhagwan,are at least intellectually aware that there is only Self or Consciousness or
 Absolute Consciousness and nothig but It.Absolute Consciousness is continuous,unbroken, all pervasive
 and infinite etc.All other consciousness like I-consciousness,witnessing consciousness, body consciosness
 etc. rise from Self or Absolute Consciousness and are relative only.These are vrittis  which Sri Bhagwan says
 are the function of the mind.Unbroken continuous consciousness transcends the mind. Now what are
 these vrittis ? Sri Bhagwan says that vritti is of short duration and is qualified and directed 
 consciousness. Or in other words, vritti is Absolute Consciousness broken up by cognition of thought and senses
 etc. For example, Aham vritti ( I-thought or ego ) is broken where as Aham-Sphurna, the Light of I-I, is
 unbroken and continuous.

Therefore, Self-enquiry is not, I feel, about getting stuck mid-way with relative consciousness but instead
 to seek diligently and keenly the Source of Aham-vritti (I-thought or ego) which we all know is the root
 thought and which rises from Still, Unbroken,All Pervasive, infinite Self or Absolute Consciousness
 and abide as That.

What it requires, in my view, is the unceasing practice day in and day out with total faith in
 Bhagwan Sri Ramana.

Thank you.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
  Source: Maharshi's Gospel,

Devotee :     Conceding that the aham-vritti essentially comprises all the forms of the ego, why should that vritti
 alone be chosen as means for Self-enquiry ?
 Sri Bhagwan: Without the aham-vritti there can be no other vritti, but the aham-vritti can subsist by itself without  depending on any other vritti of the mind.The aham-vritti is therefore  fundamentally different from other vriittis. So then, the surch for the source of the aham-vritti is not merely the search for the basis of one of the forms of the ego but for the very Source itself from which arises the 'I-am'-ness. In other words, the quest for and the  realization of the source of the ego in the form of aham-vritti necessarily implies the transcendence of the ego in every one of its possible forms.
 Because it is the one irreducible datum of your experience; because seeking its source is the only practicable
 course you can adopt to realize the Self. The ego is said to have a causal body, but how can you make it the
 subject of your investigation ? When the ego adopts that form, you are immersed in the darkness of sleep.

Devotee :  What prevents the infinite, undifferentiated Light of Consciousness arising from the heart from
 revealing itself to the ajnani ?
 Sri Bhagwan : Just as water in the pot reflects the enormous sun within the narrow limits of the pot, even so
 the vasanas or latent tendencies of the mind of the individual, acting as the reflecting medium , catch the all
 pervading, infinite Light of Consciousness arising from the heart and present in the form of reflection,
 the ajnani is deluded into the belief thhat he is a finite being, Jiva.
 If the mind becomes introverted through into the source of aham-vritti, the vasanas become extinct, and
 in the absence of the reflecting medium the phenomenon of reflection ,namely, the mind, also disappears being
 absorbed into the Light of one Reality, the heart.
 " This is the sum and substance of all that an aspirant needs to know. What is imperatively
   required of him is an earnest and one-pointed enquiry into the source of aham-vritty".

Thank you.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
 Source : Maharshi's Gospel,

Sri Bhagwan : " Enquiry into the source of aham-vritty is, no doubt, initiated  by the Sadhaka in the waking
                       state of the  mind. It cannot be said that in him the mind has been destroyed. But the
                      process of Self-enquiry will itself reveal that the alteration or transmutation of the three
                      states of the  mind, as well as the three states themselves, belong to the world of phenomena
                      which cannot affect his intense, inward enquiry".

"Self-enquiry is really possible only through intense introversion of the mind".

Bhagwan Sri Ramana's Presence and Teaching are so full, living, intimate and all inclusive
         that hardly any room is left for the intellect to speculate.Shadha, devotion sincerity,and
         earnestness of purpose,as enumerated by Sri Shankara as the essential merits of a competent Sadhaka,
         are all that are needed.

When a devotee wished to know from Sri Bhagwan about the 'Final State' He replied that any such
  ascertainment has to depend on the intellect which shines only by the light it derives from the   
 Self.
 His own Words : "Is it not presumptuous on the part of the intellectto sit in judgement over that
                       of which it is but a limited manifestation, and from which it derives its little light ?

How can the intellect which can never reach the Self be competent to ascertain,
                       and much less decide the nature of the final state of Realization ? It is like trying to measure
                       the sunlight at its source by the standard of the light given by a candle. The wax will
                       melt down before the candle comes anywhere near the sun.

Instead of indulging in mere speculation, devote yourself here and now to the search
                      for the Truth that is ever within you ".

Thank you.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »
 Dear friends,

We, all devotees of Sri Bhagwan, by His Grace, are aware that the  mind is the individual,the mind is the world, and the mind is the source of all empirical experience whatsoever and also that the mind is the chief obstackle to the discovery of our true nature. But from Sri Bhagwan and Sri Mad Bhagwat Gita  We know that we
can do nothing about it except focusing the attention on the 'thinker' or the root I-thought or the ego with the entire mind.

Intense longing to discover our true nature is essential. Are we prepared to dive deep , ignoring and rejecting
 the thoughts, and fixing our total attention on the thinker, on that which seems to have power to think and
 to be aware of thoughts , of their rising as well as their setting ? Are we prepared, indeed, to dive deeper and
 deeper still, holding the entire attention on the thinker alone. and searching the source of the I-thought ,
 the ego ?
 Sri Bhagwan says that the pull of the Heart draws us back to Itself ,if we dive deeper and plunge  into
 the Heart.

Thank you.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
 Dr Sarada whose intutive understanding of Sri Bhawan's Teaching helps clear the doubts of the seekers
 writes in her inspiring book ' Wonderous Vigilance ' thus :

" If, after being aware of this and well aware too, one still beats the bush, one stands exposed to the vagaries
   of the mind. It is but weakness of the mind, Bhagwan admonishes strongly, to merely discuss or give
   oneself to various mental pursuits after having heard the truth from the Sadguru. No compassion
   at all must be shown for the mind and its innumerable tricks. If one falls for its apparent goodness and allows it to
   survive, or is frightened by its seemingly insurmountable resources of negativity and hence fails to deal with it,
   one is done for".

Thank you.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
Dear Anil,

The Self is all pervasive.  For beginners Bhagavan said to concentrate
on the symbolic heart, which is Heart [the details are available in
Yoga Vasishtam, which Bhagavan has quoted in ULLadu Narpadu,
Anubandam.  The Self is pervading everything, the universe, the
inanimate and animate objects, and everything that one could
conceive. 

We are in the Self,.  The Heart is said to be within us for initial
seekers. 

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »
 Dear Sri Subramanian ji,
                   Pranam,

Yes Sir. Nothing but only Self Is. Self pervades everything and sustains all.
 I also do not mean by Heart any physical entity within the confines of the body.
 But since Heart is said to be the Seat of Union, I mentioned the 'Heart' to  mean the
 'Core of one's Being' to imply the inner journey of the seekers. And by diving deep,
 deeper still, I meant 'let go' till the Source or the Self is reached. Dear Sir, I am aware
 that for mature and advanced seekers, there is no in and out as Sri Bhagwan
 demonstrated by narrating the story of the sage Ribhu and His disciple Nigadha.

Thank youy so much, Sir.