Author Topic: Sri Ramakrishna Quotes on Truth  (Read 3288 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Sri Ramakrishna Quotes on Truth
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
Live in the world like an ant. The world contains a mixture of truth and untruth, sugar and sand. Be an ant and take the sugar.

Even those engaged in worldly activities, such as office work or business, should hold to the truth. Truthfulness alone is the spiritual discipline in the Kaliyuga.

If a man holds to truth he will certainly realize God.

The world is indeed a mixture of truth and make-believe. Discard the makebelieve and take the truth.

The feeling of ego has covered the Truth. Narendra once said, 'As the "I" of man recedes, the "I" of God approaches.' Kedar says, 'The more clay there is in the jar, the less water it holds.'.

The path of knowledge leads to Truth, as does the path that combines knowledge and love. The path of love, too, leads to this goal. The way of love is as true as the way of knowledge. All paths ultimately lead to the same Truth. But as long as God keeps the feeling of ego in us, it is easier to follow the path of love.

The Truth established in the Vedas, the Puranas, and the Tantras is but one Satchidananda. In the Vedas It is called Brahman, in the Puranas It is called Krishna, Rama, and so on, and in the Tantras It is called Siva. The one Satchidananda is called Brahman, Krishna, and Siva.

If a man leads a householder's life he must have unflagging devotion to truth. God can be realized through truth alone.

The feeling of 'I and mine' has covered the Reality. Because of this we do not see Truth. Attainment of Chaitanya, Divine Consciousness, is not possible without the knowledge of Advaita, Non-duality. After realizing Chaitanya one enjoys Nityananda, Eternal Bliss. One enjoys this Bliss after attaining the state of a paramahamsa.

It is said that truthfulness alone constitutes the spiritual discipline of the Kaliyuga. If a man clings tenaciously to truth he ultimately realizes God. Without this regard for truth, one gradually loses everything. If by chance I say that I will go to the pine-grove, I must go there even if there is no further need of it, lest I lose my attachment to truth.

Truthfulness in speech is the tapasya of the Kaliyuga. It is difficult to practise other austerities in this cycle. By adhering to truth one attains God.

Truth is one; only It is called by different names. All people are seeking the same Truth; the variance is due to climate, temperament, and name.

A lake has many ghats. From one ghat the Hindus take water in jars and call it 'jal'. From another ghat the Mussalmans take water in leather bags and call it 'pani'. From a third the Christians take the same thing and call it 'water'.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Ramakrishna Quotes on Truth
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Excellent.  This is one of the gems of Sri Ramakrishna.  The Truth
-Satyam is the only leg on which Dharma Devata is standing in
Kali Yuga, says sastras.  Other virtues like dhana, dharma, nyaya
have all been eroded.

The Truth should shine in one's heart. It is the Self, without blemishes.  It is the Effulgence within a man.  God may or may not have form, but God is the Light within. The Truth should be followed at any cost, says all religions.  If one is not truthful, there is no point in calling him religious.

Bhagavan Ramana says in Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, Verse 4:-

To search for God ignoring You who stand as Being and shine as  Awareness is like looking, lamp in hand, for darkness.  In order to
reveal Yourself at last as Being and Awareness, You dwell in various forms in all religions.  If still, there are people who fail to see You whose Being is Awareness, they are no better than the blind who
do not know the Sun.  O mighty Hill Aruna, peerless jewel, stand and shine, One without a second, the Self within my Heart.

(Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan)

Arunachala Siva.         

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:07 PM »
Dear I,

This itself speaks the entire Vedanta and all teachings put together -

It is said that truthfulness alone constitutes the spiritual discipline of the Kaliyuga. If a man clings tenaciously to truth he ultimately realizes God. Without this regard for truth, one gradually loses everything. If by chance I say that I will go to the pine-grove, I must go there even if there is no further need of it, lest I lose my attachment to truth.

wonderful

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »

Dear Nagara, prasanth,

Once some Saiva Siddhanta Swamiji had sent some "lehyam" [herbal
preparation in fluid form] with a request to Bhagavan Ramana to take
it everyday with some milk.  The lehyam is good for health but it would increase the heat in the body, and so milk had to be mixed.

Kunju Swami brought the lehyam next day.  He asked Bhagavan:  Can
I bring some milk from the kitchen?"  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Why?
Why?  We cannot afford milk for this lehyam everyday.  Please bring
some quantity mixed in water." 

Kunju Swami asked Bhagavan as to what he should send in reply
to that Swamiji.  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Thank him and say that
Bhagavan is taking that with "payas"!"

Payas means in Sanskrit both milk and water.  Payasam the sweet
liquid porridge comes out of this word payas. Bhagavan Ramana did not want to utter a lie and so He asked Kunju Swami to use the word
"payas".  Bhagavan's last lie was for His coming to Arunachalam.
Thereafter He did not utter a lie.

The word "payas" did not mean a lie.  It is carefully hidden truth.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
nice anedoc Subramanian garu.

It is something like Yudhistara in Mahabharata saying during war "Aswadhama Hataha".  :)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »
very interesting... to note the uncanny knack of Bhagavan to have played the role of Krishna by using the word "Payas"
 :D

Beautiful

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
By using the word "Payas" not only he made the person who gave the "lehyam" happy but also he made sure he was able to carry his intentions as well, to not waste milk unnecessarily.

This is a great lesson indeed for all of us as to how we have to lead our lives in the current times. This verily is a Geetopadesa

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta