Author Topic: Bhagavan & Squirrels  (Read 1671 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhagavan & Squirrels
« on: August 21, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
One early morning in April 1942, when Bhagavan was returning from his walk on the hill after breakfast, he had a nasty accident. One of his favourite squirrels ran across his path as he was descending the stone steps near the Ashram despensary. This squirrel was chased by the Ashram dog that was in full pursuit. Bhagavan immediately pursued forward. He put stick in front of the dog to stop it and to protect the squirrel. The squirrel escaped and ran away as the dog was distracted. But Bhagavan lost his balance, slipped and fell down the steps which caused a lot of pain. He had broken his collar bone.

Bhagavan did not care for his own safety while protecting his devotee. It may be just a squirrel, but for him, the primary concern was to protect his friend, the squirrel, His own safety was secondary.

I personally like squirrels, because they are very innocent to look at, and quick and very satvic. Bhagavan has said that even if you give squirrels a lot of food, they will only take what they want at that moment and will not even bother to take the balance for storing for future needs. And secondly, squirrel is also associated with Lord Sri Rama, who is my favourite and it is also associated Sri Ramana and this makes it very special.

There are some squirrels in my terrace, I have been trying to befriend them for some time, I often go and leave some cashews, in some time, they would have eaten away the cashews. Hopefully, one day, It may come and play with me  :)

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »

Dear Nagaraj,

There are many interesting anecdotes, concerning squirrels and
animals in general.  The one who have pasted, is really heart-
melting.  There is a song in Tamizh, where it is stated, that
God or Guru treats all lives as His own life.  This is very true
in the case of Bhagavan Ramana.  There are about 2 or 3 books
in Tamizh/English, titled "Bhagavan, the animal-lover".  One volume
is exclusively dealt with Cow Lakshmi and Bhagavan. 

Your photographs are excellent.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & Squirrels
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
Dear I,

There are many interesting anecdotes, concerning squirrels and
animals in general.  The one who have pasted, is really heart-
melting.  There is a song in Tamizh, where it is stated, that
God or Guru treats all lives as His own life.  This is very true
in the case of Bhagavan Ramana.  There are about 2 or 3 books
in Tamizh/English, titled "Bhagavan, the animal-lover".  One volume
is exclusively dealt with Cow Lakshmi and Bhagavan.  

Your photographs are excellent.
Arunachala Siva.

Sir, when I read such heart melting incidents, I am carried away and engulfed with emotions about Bhagavan and His love. I have the similar feelings like you have mentioned! am I so innocent like these monkeys, squirrels, Cow Lakshmi and all? and there would be a mixed feelings of missing Bhagavan so much and at the same time there is this indescribable ecstasy and immediately, I only start writing here so that other devotees also would enjoy the same feeling as I did.

Like the saying goes -

Yaan pentra inbam, peruga ivvaiyagam -  What ever happiness I have experienced let it grow ''to'' this whole world - I am unable to translate it better than this. excuses!

and what makes it more beautiful, Subramanian sir, are your replies, they are so filled with nectar of Bhakti, and I feel elated to see your replies. You too write your feelings with the same prayerful feeling of Yaan pentra inbam, peruga ivvaiyagam.

I sit back and think, this is what a Satsang is supposed to do right? rise our feelings, emotions, devotion, Bhakti, Karunyam.

Very wonderful are the leelas of Bhagavan. Unfathomable.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:06:10 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta