Author Topic: Self-Not Self  (Read 1522 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Self-Not Self
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
 My body sits, stands, plays, eats, walks, runs, drinks, etc., but I say I sit, stand, play,eat, walk, run, drink, etc.
 My body-mind complex thinks, writes, talks, speaks etc., but I say I think, write ,talk, speak, etc.

Who Am I ?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana says that the 'Self', that is 'Aham' or 'I' is quite different from the three bodies i.e.
 gross, mental, and astral which are 'Not-Self'. It is because of  ignorance that the 'sense of Self '
 or the 'I-Notion' is erroneously foisted on that which is 'Not-Self'.And this is the bondage or Hriday-Jada
 Granthi as this is generally known.This erroneous foisting of Self on the Not-Self is the genesis of all the
 troubles.Since this Granthi arises due to ignorance only, knowledge ensues Light, and knowledge of one's
 own Self.To know thus from the Guru is the Sravana.

Sri Bhagwan says that after Sravana, contemplating deeply and discovering through subtle 'Enquiry'
 of 'Who Am I ?' that which is different from the three bodies and exists Single and Universal
 in the 'Heart' as 'Aham' or 'I' is Manana. Sri Bhagwan says that this 'I' is denoted by tvam in the Scriptural
 Mahavakya 'Tat tvam asi' (That thou art) as delicately as a stalk of grass is drawn from its sheath.
 And this leads to Samadhi.

Arunachal Shiv Ramana           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-Not Self
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
 Except Self, all are 'Not-Self in the whole universe and beyond. Only Self is real and 'Not-Self is mere thought
 and, therefore, imagined. Not-Self shines forth in association with Self only.Not otherwise. Self is Self-luminous
 It does not require association of Not-Self to Shine forth.

Ego which experiances the Not-Self comes up only holding the Self . If Self is held, ego vanishes.

Until then, Sri Bhagwan says , the Sage will be saying, "There Is " and the ignorant will be asking, " Where ? ".   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »
 From Eight Stanzas to Sri Arunachala,

Verse No 6,

"Thou art Thyself the one being, ever aware as the Self-luminous Heart ! In Thee there is a mysterious
    power (Shakti) which without Thee is nothing. From it proceeds the phantom of the mind emitting its latent
    subtle dark mists, wwhich illumined by Thy Light (of consciousness) reflected on them, appear within as thoughts
    whirling in the vortices of prarabdha, later developing  into the psychic worlds and projected outwardly
     as the material world transformed in the concrete objects which are magnified by the outgoing senses
    and move about like pictures in a cinema show.Visible or Invisible, Oh Hill Grace, without Thee they are
    nothing !"     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
 Bhagwan Sri Ramana has Himself elaborated upon the Verse No 6 from the 'Eight Stanzas to Sri Arunachala in Talk No 323. Sri Bhagwan says that ego is the product of second reflection of the 'Light of Self. First, Light of Self
 gets diffused through the Original Darkness or the Original Sin. The Light passing through it is called thhe 'Reflected  Light' and known on its own merits as the Pure Mind or Ishwara, or God. In other words , this 'Reflected Light  is Ishwara. But Sri Bhagwan says that Pure Mind implies the impure mind also.This impure mind is projected from the  former Pure Mind or Satvic Mind through second reflectoin of the Light of Self from the aggregate of tendencies  or samskaras and that is the rise of the spurious ego.Thus, ego is the product of the second darkness. Sri Bhagwan  says that ego is the Rajasic mind and Tamasic or the dull mind appear as the world.Thus, Shakti or Maya or  Mind's sublime original activity (i.e.Power vibrating),Satwa filled reflection results; from it the rajasic ego; then  tamasic thought-forms and the world.

Sri Bhagwan says that in as much as we think that this ego or I-thought witnesses all other objects in the
 waking and dream states, it should be considered the subject. However, on realising the Pure Self, it along with
 the external world are objects only- only 'Not-Self'.