Author Topic: How to remain contented  (Read 1765 times)

srkudai

How to remain contented
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »
Its very important to remain satisfied or contented. When a person sees clearly how there is no one within ... no "I"... its instant liberation.
Happiness is my very nature, means i need not do anything for being happy.
The reason most people do not find "Ananda" or "Bliss" or "Liberation" is lack of self contentment.
Sri Adi Sankaracharya says in Bhaja Govindam:
angam galitam [The body parts have waned with age] , palitam mundam [the hair on head is lost]
dashana viheenam jatam tundam [oldage lead to a very wretched state , even the teeth have lost]
vrudho yathi grihitva dandam [due to oldage, they need the help of a stick to even stand up and move]
tadapi na munchati asha pindam [still they have not lost hope]

hope here signifies the hope that somethign else will make me fulfilled. Such a wretched state and yet, one does not drop the "I"! one does not drop the attachment to the objects of the world.

This is how an average person's life goes. The whole life may pass away and yet he does not find out that that bliss is coming from within. That all he has to do is to drop the asha, hope that something else will make him better.

Having understood this much, if one acts out of inner completeness ... There is Complete Bliss in life!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How to remain contented
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman said in his Satsangh:  It is like
modhakam.  The modhakam is a sweet jaggery, dessicated coconut
mixture, with cardamom and other spice.  This is called Poornam in
Sanskrit and this dish is submitted as Naivedyam for Ganesa.  But
what we do at homes, is that after this Poornam is made into small
balls, we give a coat of boiled rice flour and salt.  This is what happens, in daily lives too.  We are not contented with Poornam, we want some coating around it.  The mind readily gives it by giving a salt coating.  Young children who are closer to God, remove this coat which is salty and takes only the Poornam.
We elders, however, wanted add something to that Fullness,
and add discontentment, through mind/salt-flour coating!

Arunachala Siva.