Author Topic: Bhagavan & Lakshmi  (Read 1697 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhagavan & Lakshmi
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
'Do you know what state Lakshmi is in now?'

Having never witnessed such a scene before, the devotees were puzzled by this unusual question. There was a cow standing in front of him with a motionless and fixed expression on her face.

The ever-cheerful Bhagavan said, to the astonishment of the devotees, 'She is in nirvikalpa samadhi,' revealing by this brief comment the extraordinary pwer of his grace.

The cow, affectionately called Lakshmi, was closely associated with the ashram. When she came, as usual, for Bhagavan's darshan and stood in his presence, Bhagavan looked at her with great affection and started stroking her head. As a consequence of receiving this hasta-diksha [initiation in which the Guru places his hands on the disciple's head] she experienced immediately the state of nirvikalpa samadhi.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & Lakshmi
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:17:07 AM »
A more elaborate, heart touching recollection of Shantammal, who did the cooking in the Ashramam kitchen is given below -

Lakshmi was pregnant for the third time. She came into the hall after lunch. Bhagavan was reading a newspaper. At that time, I also entered the hall. Lakshmi went near Bhagavan and started licking the newspaper. Bhagavan looked up and said, 'Wait a little, Lakshmi!' but she went on licking the paper.

Bhagavan laid the newspaper aside, put his hand behind Lakshmi's horns and rested his head against hers. They stayed in this manner for quite some time. I stood nearby transfixed looking at the wonderful scene. After about ten minutes, Bhagavan without moving, looked at me and said, 'Do you know what Lakshmi is doing? She is in samadhi.'

I looked at Lakshmi and noticed that tears were flowing in streams down her broad cheeks. Her breathing had slowed down and her eyes were fixed on Bhagavan. After some time, Bhagavan changed his position and asked gently, 'Lakshmi, how do you feel now?'

Lakshmi moved backwards, as if she wass reluctant to show her tail to Bhagavan. She walked round the hall and went out.

I felt elated and blessed to be there at that time to witness the union of master and devotee.

Salutation to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »

One Arunachalam Pillai of Kumaramangalam, near Gudiyatham,
entered the Asramam with Cow Lakshmi sometime in 1926.  He
offered the cow and her young female calf to Bhagavan Ramana.

Viswanatha Swami writes that Arunachalam Pillai was prompted
by a dream to offer the cow and the calf to Bhagavan Ramana!

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
The story about Lakshmi birth and its frequent visits to the Ashramam all alone is really very inspiring
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta