Author Topic: Bhagavan & Muruganar 4  (Read 3024 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhagavan & Muruganar 4
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »
Talking about Muruganar's unique relationship with Bhagavan one is reminded about his 'lizard-talk'! Often, the moment Muruganar entered the Old Hall Bhagavan would commence talking to him. Muruganar would start replying even before prostrating to Bhagavan. While prostrating too he would continue talking. Often, he would even forget that he was lying prostrate on the ground and would just go on talking to him, lifting his head like a chameleon and continuing to reply to his queries. Others in the Hall would be amused at this strange sight. Muruganar narrated this and added: "Viswanatha (Swami) used to jokingly request me to quit such 'lizard-talk'; as my words were not audible to anyone including Bhagavan! What to do? I was not at all aware of such happenings. On such occasions my sole thought would be to reply to Bhagavan immediately and I would forget the environment, everything else, including my body!" Muruganar, the 'shadow of Bhagavan', had the highest devotion for him and would never fail to express this by prostrating to him a number of times and when Bhagavan left the Hall standing up reverentially. But there were occasions when Bhagavan would leave the Hall while Muruganar was composing verses and on returning he would find him still writing. Without going to the couch Bhagavan would stand a while next to the seated Muruganar and pick up the thread of the conversation he had with him before leaving the Hall. The thought that Bhagavan could not stand without great strain, and that he himself should not be seated when his master was standing beside him, would not occur to Muruganar and he would continue talking. The devotees around used to get annoyed over this apparent display of disrespect. Muruganar would realise it only later on when it was pointed out by others!

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & Muruganar 4
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

Muruganar had some such mysterious aspects in his life style.
Saint Manikkavchagar says in Tiruvachakam:  "Let the world call
me a ghost-afflicted or a mad man, I do not care...."  So was
Muruganar.

His insistence on begging was one of the most noticeable aspects
of his lifestyle.   In the final years of his life, when he lived in Sri
Ramanasramam and was venerated by all the devotees who lived
there, he still insisted on going for bhiksha, but instead of begging on the streets of Tiruvannamalai, he would 'beg' at the kitchen door
of Sri Ramanasramam dining room.  He would hold out the cloth he
wrapped around his shoulders, and one of the kitchen workers would put food into it!

Before permanently settling down in Sri Ramanasramam, Muruganar sold most of his personal and household belongings
and donated the proceeds to the Asramam.  I am also told that he had left some money with one common friend to take care of wife Meenakshi's livelihood.  But Bhagavan Ramana had promised Smt. Meenakshi:  "Go only to the house where you are called affectionately "Meenakshi".  The Asramam will take care of you."

Prof. K. Swaminathan who was later bringing out Muruganar's works in Tamizh with the financial assistance from the Government of India, was also translating Muruganar's poems for various Ramanasramam publications.  He knew Bhagavan's promise and had consequently arranged for the Delhi Kendra to provide a pension for Smt. Meenkashi, as long as she lived.

Behind every self realized soul, there are stories about people
who had been left uncared, particularly womenfolk.  Sri Sankara left his widowed mother and proceeded to Yatra.  Bhagavan Ramana also left His mother, though for some years.  Sri Raghavendra left his wife, Saraswati and assumed sannyasa.
Sundaramurty Swamigal, left his wife to whom he was to be formally married, because Siva came as an old brahmin, and took him away stopping the marriage.  Later Sundaramurty married two girls! There could be many more examples.  What to say?

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & Muruganar 4
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
In telugu there is a saying  "Kaami kani vadu moksha gami kaledu " which means Without having sexual feelings atleast once in their lifetime one cannot get moksha .

I think all the below saints which Subramanian garu mentioned would have lead proper gruhasta life and would have completed in their earlier life.