Author Topic: Ganges  (Read 4458 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
Ganges
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
There is the believe that someone who takes a bath in the Ganges gets purified of all sons.
Has Bhagavan ever spoken about Ganges, as he lived in South India were Ganges does not flow?

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
Re: Ganges
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
Bhagawan never went outside of Arunachala for the last 54 years after his arrival to Arunachala.Arunachala is everything to him.
I do not whether it is coincidence or a miracle i went to Varanasi and Triveni sangamam and i had a holy dip in Ganges.
Since then i was relieved of severe Crohn's disease with joint pains.I lost medical practice for the past 20yrs due to my
irregular availablity due to frequent visits to Arunachala.Some how i regained my medical practice also after dip in the
holy Ganges.Now i am able to understand more clearly about Self-inquiry and i am able to convey it in my articles.
It is all Siva's grace.I feel that getting Crohn's disease and losing practice for long time is also Prasadam of Siva.
Everything benefits our spiritual growth and Siva confers on us which is beneficial to us at a given time.
When we are very comfortable we don't grow in consciousness,suffering helps us to deepen our understanding of life.
pvssnraju

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna had great reverance for Ganga:

Ah, what a deep devotion to the Ganga the Master had all his life! He used to call the water of the Ganga, "Brahmavari", that is, Brahman in the form of water.

He said, "Any person living on either bank of the Ganga has his heart changed into one like that of the gods, and virtues manifest therein of themselves. The wind, filled with the sacred particles of the water of the Ganga, purifies the land on both sides as far as it blows. By the Grace of Bhagirathi, the daughter of the great mountain, goodness, austerity, generosity, devotion to God and spiritual steadfastness are always manifest in the lives of the people living in those parts of the land."

If anyone talked of worldly things for a long time, or mixed with worldly people, the Master would ask him to drink a little of the water of the Ganga. If a man, averse to God and attached to worldliness, sat in any part of the sacred abode of the Divine Mother and polluted it with worldly thoughts, he would sprinkle there the water of the Ganga. He felt much pained if he saw anybody cleaning himself with that water after answering calls of nature.

If anybody was overwhelmed with grief or affliction or delusion, he would tell him: "Go and drink a little Ganges water, you will be all right." It was amazing to find that the person would get the desired result.

Once, the son of a public woman came to Dakshineswar. The Master was sleeping in his room. The man entered and touched his feet. The Master at once jumped up as if someone had thrown fire on him. He said, "Tell me frankly all the sins you have committed. If you cannot, then go to the Ganga and tell them loudly. You will be free from them." But the man was ill-fated and could not do so.

-- Ramakrishna Math
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »

As Dr. Raju said that Ganga is remover of sins and miseries.  But
Bhagavan Ramana never went to Kaveri or Ganga.  He was only
bathing in His Swatma Tirtham [the Holy Waters of the Self within.].

Ganga appears in a humorous conversation in one of Bhagavan
Ramana's talks with devotees.  Once a devotee said that his
problems have not yet been solved though he is in Bhagavan'
presence.  A devotee who was nearby said:  It is like digging a well, for quenching his thirst,  when one is on the banks of Ganga.
Muruganar who was present corrected the statement stating:
No. It is like someone standing neck deep in Ganga and saying
I am thirsty... I am thirsty.  Bhagavan Ramana who never admitted any duality, told Muruganar:  "Oye, it is not even like that.  It is
like Ganga itself telling, I am thirsty, I am thirsty.

Problems get solved in the Presence of Bhagavan Ramana, depending upon one's virulence of prarabdha.  For some one it
is faster, for some others it takes more time, for some others,
it never gets solved.  It all depends on our ability "to receive his
grace."   

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
Once a Guru took all his disciples to the Ganges. after they reached the place, the Guru said, “let me first have my bath and then all of you can bathe in the Holy Ganges and then we shall go to the temple for the Lord's darshan"

The Guru went in to the river finished his bath and was just going to begin his oblations, and then suddenly, the river began to flow ferociously, and the current of the flowing river began to pull the Guru with its force and the Guru shouted, "O my disciples, due to my bad Karma, I am going to die now, but there is one way out, only a purely sinless one can save me, or else, death is certain to me" (Not that he cannot save himself). Now the disciples were perplexed, they were very scared and worried, each one of them started looking at each other, nobody were ready to go against their conscious, they all were feeling guilty about themselves, they were panicking because, even if they wanted to go, irrespective of being killed, the life of Guru was in danger, they hesitated! And then suddenly, from behind, a silent disciple ran forward and jumped into the river and brought the Guru to safety.

All the disciples breathed a sigh of relief and prayed the almighty that all is fine and most thankfully that their beloved Guru was fine. They all loved the Guru more than their own lives.

Later, during the class sessions, the disciples began to wonder how the silent disciple jumped into the river without any hesitation, and they began to praise him as the worthiest disciple, and regretted their own self of being unclean, full of guilt. Seeing all the disciples pondering over this, the Guru himself asked the silent disciple in front of everybody about this. The silent disciple said, "O dispeller of darkness, I too was guilty of my self, full of guilt about my sinful past actions, but, I knew, when I jumped into the Ganges, all my sins will be washed immediately. Therefore, I did not have least bit of doubt regarding this. The Guru simply smiled at the silent disciple and looked at everyone with a very benevolent look. All the other disciples indeed were very blessed. Such is the greatness of Ganges the river and the Ganges of faith.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:25:06 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
There is no harm in going to sacred ganga so long it helps one to get liberated.

Power cannot be denied in few places i.e pilgrimages and so long it helps to purify our mind its absolutely fine.

Bhagavan ramana came to arunachalam from his native place tiruzhi as he finds this place to be Lord shiva itself.

Similarly if one finds more peace of mind after bathing in ganga there is no harm at all.

But yes finally only by Jnana we can get liberation.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

Every Hindu agrees that Ganga shall remove the sins and miseries.  There is no doubt about it.  If the sins are removed, the balance of prarabdha gets diminished and this helps one, more to do vichara.  Even during Bhagavan Ramana's time in Tiruvannamalai, many devotees had taken permission from Bhagavan to go to Kasi and Rameswaram.  Bhagavan did not disapprove.  But Atma Bodham can be attained only through vichara.  I think, even Vivekachudamani starts with this premise, that even crores of good karmas will not liberate, leave alone one's birth as brahmin, etc., As Nagaraj said in his story and Dr. Raju described in his experience, Ganga really helps when one takes bath in good faith. 

Bhagavan Ramana says that darshan of a Sadhu  is more sublime than these. In ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement, Verse 4 says:

"The affliction of scorching fever of heat is removed by the cool rays of the moon, poverty by the Kalapaga Tree of the world of celestials, and sin by the famed and sacred river Ganga.  But all the three, namely, heat, want and sin, all, will simultaneously
be removed by the glory of the darshan of Sages beyond compare."   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »
   Sri Arunachala, Himself Ocean of Nectar, as Sri Bhagwan said,wihth the Sacred Mountain Kailash and the Sacred
   River Mother Ganga,stands still,shining from earth to heaven, conveying his State.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »
There are other ways to look at it also.
There is an external appearance and also the tapas behind it.
The saints help other people by their tapas, otherwise externally they are like any other person. According to the puranic story of King Sagara, to bring Ganga on earth, tapas was performed for several generations: starting from King Sagara, then King Anshuman, then King Dilip and finally King Bhagiratha. So although externally a river, there is force of tapas behind Ganga. Apart from this when Ganga descended on earth sage Jahnu drank up the river and later released it from his ears (that is why Ganga is known as Jahnavi). It is said that the tapas of sage Jahnu also got added to Ganga due to this. Above all, Ganga is a Devi of immense auspiciousness and compassion. It is said that because of her immense emotional compassion she has a liquid form. Ganga is known as Vishnu-Padi (originating from the feet of Lord Vishnu) and resides on the head of Lord Shiva (Gangadhara). It is up to individuals to believe these incidents. It is like the mountain Arunachala. Some have faith in it, some do not.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »

Dear silentgreen,

Yes.  There are such puranic stories.  Ganga is also called Jhanhavi,
due to this sage.  Siva took the Akasa Ganga on his matted locks
and left only a small amount dripping from his hairs.  This became
the great Ganga of the Hindustan. 

For Kaveri also such puranic stories are there.  One Sage Kavera
had his daughter named Kaveri and she became the river.  Sage
Agasthya filled the Kaveri in his kamandalu and she could not
come out of it.  Sage Agasthya then tilted the kamandalu a bit,
when Kaveri wanted to flow in Kudagu province [in Karnataka on
the Western ghats.

About Kaveri, this is the following current news:

The Chief Minister of Karnataka has said the K.R. Sagar, the big
dam, has been filled up 30% less than the normal.  So, obviously
he cannot allow water to Tamizh Nadu, as per Tribunal agreement.  This problem was not there for the past three years.  Now this
will again crop up.  There is power cut in monsoon season, something unheard of in Karnataka in the recent past.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »

About Ganga and Kasi, there is an interesting story in Sri
Sankara's life.  He went there, bathed in Ganga and had darshan
of Lord Viswanatha, Annapurani and Visalakshi.  He wrote Kasi
Panchakam, Maneesha Panchakam, Annapurnashtakam and Bhavani
Ashtakam there.

In Kasi, on the banks of Ganga, he met an old brahmin, in his 90+
taking bath in the river with great strain and doing fire sacrifices,
with trembling hands.  The brahmin said Sri Sankara:  I have been
taking bath for decades in Ganga and doing fire sacrifices also
for many many years.  Still I have not realized Atman.  Sri Sankara
laughed and asked:-

Sri Sankara:  By what light do you see?
Brahmin:  The sun by day and the lamp by night.
Sri Sankara:  By what light do you see these lights?
Brahmin:  The eye.
Sri Sankara:  By what light do you see the eye?
Brahmin:  The mind.
Sri Sankara:  By what light do you know the mind?
Brahmin:  My Atma.
Sri Sankara:  You, then are the Light of the Lights.
Brahmin:  Yes, That I am.

This is the famous Eka Sloki of Sri Sankara. 

Bhagavan Ramana has rendered it in Tamizh as Verse 7 of
ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement.

Arunachala Siva.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
When a person takes a dip in the Ganges with deep devotion, Self only is perceived but less obstructed by ego. Like a person doing girivalam. If a person does girivalam with deep devotion, Self only is perceived but less obstructed by ego. With less devotion, the external appearance of the river or mountain will occupy the mind.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »

There are three types of people, be it Arunachala Girivalam or
bathing in Ganga. 

1. The non believers.  They go around Arunachala, just because Bhagavan Ramana had said.  They have no intrinsic faith.  Similarly
some people bathe in Ganga just because elders say so.

2. The starters.  They have some faith and they do these things.  They find rich improvement in their health, mental attitude towards
God and earnestness to get deliverance.

3.  The Achievers.  They are like Bhagavan Ramana and Sri Sankara.  They had already achieved all the fruits of such holy
activities.  But still they continued to do, so that the others
would take note of it and follow.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
Infact Sri Bhagavan has said that doing Arunachala Girivalam would do good even to non believers because, the hill is Agni Swaroopam. whether a believer or non believer keeps his finger on fire, it will still burn the finger. Similarly, whether believing or non believing if one does girivalam, it does good to the person.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

I agree with you.  The non believers become starters and then
their faith and Arunachala's efficacy which is ever there, is increasingly felt. Devaraja Mudaliar started like that.  He was
reluctant in the beginning and then he started.  He found the
results and in turn suggested every one else to do the same.

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiru Sadakam (Holy Hundred) in
Tiruvachakam, in Verse 11:

Natakatthaal un adiyar pol nadithu, naan naduve
Veedahathe pugunthiduvan mika perithu viraihinren,
Adaka cheer manik kunre irdaiyara anbunakken,
Oodahathe ninru uruga thantharuL em udiyane!

"I, in the midst of various sincere devotees, act, as if I am
also devoted to you and want to get your Abode in all hurry.
O the Hill, decked with gold and ruby, uninturrupted love flourishes in me!  I melt.  O Master, give me your Abode and deliver me!" 

Arunachala Siva.