Author Topic: Bhagavan & scriptural learning, discussions, mastery  (Read 1358 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhagavan & scriptural learning, discussions, mastery
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
R. Narayana Iyer recollects -

Once a few very learned Sanskrit scholars were seated in the hall discussing portions of the Upanishads and other scriptural texts with Bhagavan. I felt in my heart, how great these people are and how fortunate they are to be so learned and to have such deep understanding and ability to discuss with our Bhagavn. I felt miserable. After the pandits had taken leave, Bhagavan turned to me and said, "What?" looking into my etes and studying my thoughts, "This is only the husk ! All this book learning and capacity to repeat the scriptures by memory is absolutely of no use. To know the Truth, you need not undergo all this torture of learning and capacity to repeact the scriptures by memory is absolutely of no use. To know the Truth, you need not undergo all this torture of learning. Not by reading do you get the Truth.

Be Quiet that is Truth. Be Still, that is God."

Then very graciously he turned to me again, and there was an immediate change in his tone and attitude. He asked, "Do you shave yourself?" Bewildered by this sudden change, I answered trembling that I did. "Ah", he said, "For shaving you use a mirror, don't you? You look into the mirror and then shave your face; you don't shave the image in the mirror. Similarly, all scriptured are meant only to show you the way of Realisation. They are meant for practice and attainment. Mere book learning and discussion are comparable to a man shaving the image in the mirror." From that day onwards my long-standing sense of inferiority vanished once for all.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & scriptural learning, discussions, mastery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »

Once a pandit came to Bhagavan Ramana's Hall and was describing
various Upanishad mantras and quotes and their meanings.  His
daily lecture almost was a lingual diarrohea.  It was a nuisance to
all other devotees, who were either meditating or asking some simple questions to Bhagavan.  But Bhagavan Ramana did not say
anything at all.  After about 10 days, the pandit came one day and
simply sat silently before Bhagavan Ramana without any 'lecture'
on that day.  Bhagavan Ramana smiled at the devotees and said:
"So at last Pandit has also become one like us!"

Arunachala Siva.