Author Topic: Words Are The Great Grandson Of The Original Source.  (Read 12490 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Words Are The Great Grandson Of The Original Source.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »

Dear Anil,

The Tamizh original of Venkataramana Iyer, says:

Azhagu Sundaram anbinil varum....

which literally means that you were born from the love of Azhagu
[AzhagammaL, the Mother] and Sundaram Iyer [Bhagavan's father].
The translation says, Beauty and Beauty since both the words in
Tamizh mean only beauty.

What you are referring from WHO is:  The Self is Effulgence and Non moving.  But the Self's effulgence appears as if Self is dancing,
moving. It is like Sun's rays. The rays of the Sun appear to move,
but the Sun [from the reference point of earth] is unmoving.  The Self's movement or dance is like that.  In 108 Holy Names of Bhagavan, there is one Name:

Om Sri Rachitachala Tandavaya Namah:

To the One Achalam, (Hill, non moving)  which is dancing, I salute!

The meaning is the same.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
   Dear Sir,

Thank you for nicely explaining 'the divine dance'.
 Now I understand what Sri Bhagwan's 'dacest in heart as I',
 'Sri Natraja's dance' and the mention of dance in the 'Ramana sadguru Hymn'
 imply.Thank you so much, Sir.

Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 03:18:17 PM »
 Verse No. 5 from 'Commentary on Arunachalapancharatnam' by WHO,

"Let people think that the words of a Master are authoritative  as being in agreement with the Vedic Revelation.
  But, we consider the Vedic Revelation as authoritative, because it is in agreement with the Master's words".

As far as I know, the only thing that Sri Bhagwan advised as a help to sadhana is moderation in food.Many
 devotees in their books on Sri Bhagwan have observed that those sincerely treading the 'Path of vichara'
 may develop aversion to tamasic food sooner than later.However, Sri Bhagwan prehaps never prevented any
 body from taking whatever food they liked.

Sri Bhagwan also, as an aid to concentration, admitted pranayama as a legitimate help.But Sri Arthur
 Osborne says He largely discouraged its use. He never enjoined it.

Sri Bhagwan : "Breath-contrl is also a help. It is one of the various methods that are intended to help
                     us attain one-pointedness. Breath-control can also help to control the wandering mind and
                     attain this one-pointedness and therefore it can be used. But one should not stop there.
                     After obtaining control of the mind through breathing exercises one should not rest content
                     with any experience that may accrue therefrom, but should harness the contrlled mind to the
                     question 'Who am I ?' till the mind merges in the Self".

But Sri Bhagwan's above reference to prayanama is for Jnana Prayanama, as I have read in which
  Rechaka is:- I am not the body,mind and any form.
  Puraka is  :- Then Who am I ?
  Kumbhaka is:- I am He.

Thank you.

Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »

Dear Anil,

I shall give for your benefit and benefits of others, the 3rd Song
of Venkataramana Iyer.  This is called Kummi Pattu, the Song sung
by young girls coming in a circle, with hands clapping.

Refrain:   Girls, Let us sing the feet of Lord Ramana, sing!

Seek and dance in joy!  Join together and dance in joy!

Leaving His true abode of bliss, out of compassion He came down
to Tiruchuzhi; not content to remain there, eagerly He came to
Arunagiri!

To the loving devotees who eagerly go to Him, in Virupakshi Cave, He with His look of Grace, appears sweet as candy and makes them rejoice.

By the grace of God manifesting as Light in Sonagiri, He cut off the impurities of individuality, illusion and action, and revels in the bliss of the Self.  Shining forth as he all-filling transcendence as well as immanence, with no abode of His own, having realized the state beyond night and day, He revels in it, all by Himself.

He is in the five elements, he cut off the five sheaths, he swallowed up the five primordial principles; He mastered the five senses.  He grew unmindful of the three bodies, surpassed the three states, went beyond the three qualities and transcended the three attainments [Saloka, Saroopya and Sameepa].

Having no more karma, He is Siva with lustrous crescent pervading all beings as their Self, Himself remaining as the Supreme Self.

As He grew unmindful, holding the individual and the Supreme selves together and uniting them, He lost Himself and shrank within till left as the ripe fruit of the Supreme Being.

The gracious look of the Brahmin Venkataramana saying, "Why do you waste your tongue?  Only look at the Truth", seemed to slap in my cheeks.

Certainly Ramana is my kind Master, guide and Lord.  Let us surrender to Him, fall at his feet and dance in rapture.             

[Source:  Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume
1.]

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
 Thank you so much, Sir, for giving us the translation of Kummi Pattu, the Song
 sung by young girls coming in a circle. Perhaps coming in a circle and singing
 the feet of Ramana, in joy, joined together, implies the heightened state of spiritual awareness
 of the young girls.

What are the five primordial principles mentioned in the verse ?

In these sublime verses, in my view, heart to heart contact of the poet
  with his Master is palpable.

Thank you, Sir.

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »

Dear Anil,

I shall give the translations of the remaining two songs soon.
However, I find the translations do not do justice to the originals.
It is usually said that the translation of a prose work into another
language reduces its beauty.  The translation of a poetry work totally spoils its beauty.  I am not sure.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »

Dear Anil,

I shall give you the meaning of the third song of Sri Satyamangalam Venkataramana Iyer:

PonnoLir Pathu -  Decad on the Golden

My Gracious Lord!  Wise Ramana!  Hill of Light!  Of gold bright
form, full-blown lotus faced rare realization spreading fragrance
all over the earth!  Having heard your fame, poor as I am, I looked
for you throughout the world and saw you here.

Dwelling in Virupaksha Cave, on the sacred Hill of Light called
Sonagiri, the primordial, eternal treasure, the pure Ramana, without proving me, make me your own!  You are indeed the
Supreme Being! 

Supreme Consciousness-bliss-life, O Ramana!  Eagerly I ran to you,
the celestial tree to fulfill my wish, Knowledge incarnate pure Being, save me by your glance of grace.

Let me place your holy feet on my head, to gain a life free from
pain and be cured of the disease of recurring births.  Regenerate
Ramana, living silent in Arunachala, inappproachable, even by Gods, tell me when shall I attain you, O darling of my eyes!

I can call you my darling only; otherwise I am ignorant and helpless.  Can you be unaware how I cry in anguish?  Hail
Sundara Ramana; kill the spectre of my ego striking it with the axe of knowledge,so that I may be free from of its clutches.

Certainly Ramana is the universe with the sun, the moon and the stars!  Ramana is shining Light of diamond sparkling in the heart!
Ramana is the Overlord of Knowledge!

Your holy feet, not known even to Brahma and Vishnu and who are anxious to gain them, can in a trice efface all thought and stop the mind from wandering.  Moon-crested Ramana!  Sole Reality!  Allay
my intense grief!

Receptacle of fire of Jnana within, whose glimpse of light burns off the forms and names of the vast Universe!  Spreading flame!  Hail!
Lord of Sonagiri!

Lord Ramana!  I sought your holy feet.  You are personification of
knowledge vibrant, silence and the Supreme Thing beyond thought.  Your heart is the centre that unifies the individual and Supreme.  You are the ultimate Reality beyond birth and death.

Long live Ramana, ever-abiding on Sonagiri!  Hail Siva with Ganga betwixt his matted hair and His Virupakshi Cave!  Long live this golden hymn of Venkataramana, ridding him of all pain!

[Source: Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume 1.]

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
 Dear Sir,

'Certainly Ramana is the universe with the sun, moon and the stars! Ramana is the shining Light of diamond
 sparkling in the heart!'
 'Ramana is the Overlord of Knowledge!'

'Your heart is the centre that unifies individual and supreme.You are the Ultimate Reality beyond life and death.'

My mind melts when I soak in the sublimity and divinity innate with the verses by Sri Venktaramana Iyer.

But Sir, PonnoLir Pathu is the fourth verse out of five verses authored by Sri Venktaramana Iyer.You have already given us translations of the four verses now.

Thank you ,Sir.

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

Dear Anil,

I shall give the 5th verse and complete Sri Ramana Stuti Panchakam, of Sri Sathyamangalam Venkataramana Iyer:

PONNAI OTHA PATHU - Decad on the Gold-like:-

Those who have found the mother-like Master, on golden Sonagiri,
shining forth as lightning, will forget themselves.

The primeval Brahmin incarnated as Love!  Lord who came down to the unique Hill of Light!  Gracious Master Ramana!  Untainted one!
Teach me the way to liberation!

The pure one whom the five element could not contain, settled down at the clouds-crested Virupaksha Cave.  He is the Divine
Master, Ramana, permeating earth, air, fire, water, and ether,
and transcending the number, limit, and all doubt.  Such one is Ramana, my beloved, my eye, my very life!

Gracious God shining forth like a perpetual sun, the perfect master,
leading to liberation, is the Lord ever dwelling on the Aruna Hill!

Ramana, sporting cheerfully on the Hill of Light, which formerly
eluded the vigorous search of Brahma and Vishnu, fills the hearts of all beings!

He grants the prayers of anyone and showers His grace abundantly,
who with humility prays, "Oh Ramana Mahamuni! Grant me Thy Grace."  All the rhymes composed by Him overflow with bliss.
Undoubtedly He is the Sage enlightening the world!  Lord Ramana
before us is the very incarnation of Siva, with Ganga ever flowing!

The devotees from all over the world seek, call out and worship
as "Lord! Master!"  They run up to pay their homage to this liberated, blissful, silent Ramana, as the Supreme Being Knowledge-Bliss!

Long live Ramana, the Great Master!  Long flourish Aruna, the Great Hill!  Long endure the master's words!  Long live for ever
His earnest devotees!

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
 Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for giving us complete Ramana Stuti Panchakam, in such beautiful English translation.
 Sir, Sri Bhagwan's Akshar Mana Malai is the most moving devotional songs I have ever read and I have never seen
 any thing as enlightening and deeply spiritual and divine as Sri Arunachala  Pancharatna Darpanam
 composed by Him in Sanskrit.And Sri Muruganar's along with Sri Satyamangalam Vekataramana Iyer's
 renderings and outpourings transcend speech and thought. To me they are  so heart rendering and spontaneous
 that they look like Sri Bhagwan's Own Composition.

Thank you so much, Sir.

Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
 Dear Sir,

Is it true that Sri Satyamangalam Venkataramana Iyer's visit and departure to Virupaksha Cave
 was a very mysterious episode ? I have read that during his stay in the Cave, Sri Bhagwan's
 Gaze shone on him.Even the address he gave to some one in the Ashram turned out to be
 misleading. All this intrigue and fill me with awe.

Thank you.

Anil