Author Topic: Bhagavan & Onion  (Read 2170 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhagavan & Onion
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
Bhagavan's mother was a very orthodox lady, full of caste prejudices and superstitions. Bhagavan did not tolerate any of her ideas. He criticised her many times and was quite ruthless in destroying all that stood in the way of her emancipation from ignorance and fear. When she refused to cook onions, which are taboo to a Brahmin widow, Bhagavan would show her one and say, "How mighty is this little bulb! it can stop my mother from going to heaven."

Similarly, in the life of Shirdi Sai Baba, we have a parallel incident -

Once it so happened, that a sadhak of Yoga came to Shirdi with Nanasaheb Chandorkar. He had studied all the works on Yoga, including the Yoga-sutras of Patanjali, but had no practical experience. He could not concentrate his mind and attain samadhi even for a short time. He thought that if Sai Baba be pleased with him, He will show him the way to attain samadhi for a long time. With this object in view he came to Shirdi, and when he went to the Masjid he saw Sai Baba eating bread with onion. On seeing this, a thought arose in his mind - `How can this man, eating stale bread with raw onion, solve my difficulties and help me?' Sai Baba read his mind and said to Nanasaheb - "Oh Nana, he who has the power to digest onion, should eat it and none else". Hearing this remark, the yogi was wonder-struck and then he fell at Baba's Feet with complete surrender. With pure and open mind, he asked his difficulties and got their solution from Baba. Thus being satisfied and happy, he left Shirdi with Baba's Udi and blessings.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan & Onion
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana did not disapprove onion in food, though He had
a different view about garlic.  All the same, He knew that orthodox
brahmins of those years, would not even approve onions.  Perhaps
on rare days, when onion sambhar were made, the brahmins were
given an alternate gravy.  I am not sure.

Once when Bhagavan Ramana was coming down from the Hill, He
found the onion peels were thrown near the kitchen, in full view
of the public eye.  He called someone and said to dig a small pit
and place the peels in that and close.   

Arunachala Siva.