Author Topic: Bhagavan and V. Mani Iyer  (Read 1558 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Bhagavan and V. Mani Iyer
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
V. Mani Iyer, a senior schoolmate of Bhagavan, noted for his physical strength and rough dealing with anybody whom he disliked, was known as 'Rogue Mani'. He accompanied his mother to Tirupati. She wanted to break her journey at Tiruvannamalai for Bhagavan's darshan, while going back home to Madurai. Mani agreed on the condition that he should be allowed to drag the bogus sadhu by the ear and bring him back home.

However, on reaching the Virupaksha Cave, Mani looked and looked at Bhagavan, and got more and more puzzled as he did so. There was no trace of the ordinary boy Venkataraman whom he had known. He saw an effulgent Divine Being seated in front of him, absolutely still and silent. His heart melted for the first time in his life, tears rolled down his cheeks and the hair stood on end. He fell prostrate before Bhagavan and surrendered to him. He became a frequent visitor and a staunch devotee of Bhagavan.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan and V. Mani Iyer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »

Pokkiri Mani Iyer [Rogue Mani] was so called because of his tough
behavior towards fellow students in the school.

After his first darshan of Bhagavan Ramana when he fell prostrate
before Bhagavan Ramana and surrendered to him, with tears rolling
down from his eyes, he became a frequent visitor and a staunch
devotee of Bhagavan Ramana.

He began to follow Bhagavan's teachings but he soon felt that he was in need of a more tangible method than Vichara - 'Who am I?'
- and asked several times for a different technique. Inititally,
there was no response.  But one day, when he went out for a walk
on the Hill with Bhagavan, he stood before Him and said, "I won't
allow You to return unless You give me some suitable upadesa."

Bhagavan replied: "What is there to teach, Mani?  Instead of saying 'Siva, Siva', and keeping quiet, why do you ask for this and that?"

Mani Iyer fell down at Bhagavan's feet with great joy and exclaimed, "I have received my Upadesa and inititation!"

From that moment, he took up the japa of 'Siva, Siva' day and night.  In course of time, it became one with his Prana.   He was totally transformed and his face shone with a divine radiance. 

When Mani Iyer felt that his end was near, he stayed with Bhagavan for a few days.  Every morning, he rolled his body round Bhagavan's Hall.  When tried to stop him, he said:  "I do not know how else I can express my gratitude for what Bhagavan has done for me!"

He passed away a few days later.

[From David Godman's book, the Power of the Presence, Part I]

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan and V. Mani Iyer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
some faint acquaintance with Sri Bhagavan, and how far it takes one ahead. Really blessed soul. actually, i feel we all need not worry at all even a bit about our progress at all for we are all in Sri Bhagavan's fold, and he very subtly removes all our ego by making it realise all by ourselves. If at all anybody can be be called as 'Karunanidhi' - Treasure of Compassion, it is only our Sri Bhagavan.

We may not even know how much blessed we all are, just to even be aware of Sri Bhagavan somewhere deep in our consciousness, that there is one who is called as Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta