Author Topic: Living without allowing the notion of "I" to form  (Read 2751 times)

srkudai

Living without allowing the notion of "I" to form
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
To remain without the notion of "I" to form is ultimate Liberation!
The method is easy, every time such a notion forms, withdraw it into Consciousness.
into the heart.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Living without allowing the notion of "I" to form
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
Bhagavan Ramana was able to recognise this within a matter of 15 - 30 minutes and remained as Self forever. It occured Just only once to Bhagavan. we need to make several attempts.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
in meditation (I mean it as activity of mind), it is best to watch the breath for 10-20 minutes, till body and mind are in union and glooming from inside out....relaxed and spacious and then ask "who am I" it has a totally different impact then in the post meditation phase of daily activity...

why?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

Dear srkudai,

Pranayma or meditation is preliminarily practiced by some devotees,
[some merely say Om in a long waning tone and sound] to prepare the mind. Thereafter, the Who am I? question is asked.  Bhagavan Ramana also though, He did not formally adopt a pranayama method [in His death experience at Madurai] was keeping His limbs tight, and controlled the breath, even tightly closing the lips.  Such preliminaries vary from person to person.  For me, continuously chanting Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva, within lips arrests the mind, after some minutes.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:19:50 PM »
मनुष्याणां सहस्रेषु कश्चिद्यतति सिद्धये ।
यततामपि सिद्धानां कश्चिन्मां वेत्ति तत्त्वतः ॥
BG Chapter 7, Verse 3

Manushyaanaam Sahasreshu Kashchidyati sidhdhaye
Yatataamapi sidhdhaanaam Kashchinmaam Vetti Tatvatah

Among thousands of men, one perchance strives for perfection;
even among those successful strivers, only one perchance knows me in essence.

यमेवैष वृणुते तेन लभ्यस्तस्यैष आत्मा विवृणुते तनूं स्वाम्‌॥ ३॥ Kathopanishad 23

Yemevaisha Vrunuti Tena Mabhyastasyaisha Aatmaa Vivrunute TanugSvaam

He who chooses Atman—by him alone is Atman attained.
It is (only) Atman that reveals to the seeker Its true nature.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:24:00 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
the thing for my little self is that if I practice anapanassati as the buddha called it (I think the meditation on the breath is one of the oldest), my mind becomes natural, not still...natural, here and now

this is a good basis for atma vichara....in the 4 pillars the buddha discibes this meditation and how ht emind should be used...and you see this is very similar like atma vichara...but a greater emphasis on watching the content of mind

the buddha teached this meditation to gain perfect enlightment...so it is in itself a method that leads to liberation...

it works with the 5th skanda...conciousness...the energy that clings to feelings, thoughts, sensations, situations and forms a story out of it...it starts to work there and goes all the way down to the first skandha, where duality is born...so it works from the bounery to the center

for me atma vichara as it is described is working directly with the first skandha "form", because this quesiton is fundamental and is in a way the content of the first skandha, because here the "person" freezes the boundless space he is, and has a blackout, he/she simply forgets that he:

1. is boundless space

2. created duality himself...

so if one starts to ask "who am I" it directly moves the awereness to this boundery, to htis moment of ignorance (this blackout) as it is called in buddhism...

but this move is very subtle, and powerfull...so a meditaiton to still and prepair the mind is, I think a good thing to do...

but this is my humble opinion, and I wanted to share it because the first lines of hte text are very challenging :)

I quote it:

To remain without the notion of "I" to form is ultimate Liberation!
The method is easy, every time such a notion forms, withdraw it into Consciousness.
into the heart.

to say it is very easy is missleading, and to say it is hard also...or not?

much love
matthias

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
ok it is easy, but then why is the city of samsara full of people?

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
I understand this in such a way...... to whom it appears there is samsara and it is full of people.
After coming to Ramana Bhagavan's teachings, I understood it appears to us in waking state but not in deep sleep. The object which appears and disappears is considered unreal. Our duty and sadhana is now, we should not forget everything is unreal in the waking state  except the witness "I" is only real. In waking state as our mind activates and functions in various way but we just observe not giving importance to this fuctions.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »

Dear matthias and others,

Bhagavan Ramana says in ULLadu Narpadu [Supplement], Verse 40:-

I shall truly declare the essence of the Upanishads, which express
the ultimate conclusion of all the Vedas.  When the [ego] "I" dies,
and the [pure] "I" exists as That {Brahman}, that "I", whose
form is Consciousness alone remains. 

What is Samsara? It is the objective world and people.  [Suttarivu].
What is the mother of all bondages? Samsara.  Samsara can never
be abandoned.  But one can remain without attachment, like water on the lotus leaf.  Bhagavan Ramana once said:

"One can never abandon the Samsara totally.  But one can always remain without clinging to it.  Water falling on the lotus leaf can never be abandoned.  But the lotus leaf can keep the water out,  by its smooth surface, whenever water drops fall on it.  Look at my case.  I wanted to be away from Samsara.  But here [in Tiruvannamalai], there is a greater Samsara [lots of devotees]
for me. But I can, if I want, remain unattached to it."

Samsara is always compared to an ocean in literature, Samsara
Sagaram.  But one can always remain without drowning into it.

Muruganar says in Guru Vachaka Kovai, Verse 1225:-

Attachments exist as the mother of bondage, samsara, that which continues to adhere to you as a cause of ridicule. Knowing the means for extirpation of attachments, which are your enemy, you should cling to the freedom from attachments and remain still as Pure Being.  This is liberation.

Arunachala Siva.