Author Topic: Baba Sri Baidnath-Sultanganj to Deoghar  (Read 5228 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Baba Sri Baidnath-Sultanganj to Deoghar
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
Dear devotees,

I do not know how many of you are aware of Baba Sri Baidnath,The Chief Deity in this part of our country (Bihar
 Jharkhand,Orrisa,etc.).Baba Sri Baidnath,One of The Twelve Jyotirlingams,is located in Deoghar, about 220 K.m.,
 in the state Of Jharkhand.

In the month of Shrawan, all 30 days of the month, more than a hundred thousand (one lakh) devotees of
 Sri Lord Shiva from all over the world take water daily from the Holy River Ganga from Sultanganj,about 200
 K.M. east from Patna, in the state of Bihar.Putting on bhagwa approns,they tread about 105 K.M. on foot,
 strictly bare footed,a difficult path which in certain reaches is thorny and in other reaches either sharply edged
 beaten, pebbled hilly path or metalled road. Devotees of lord Shiva negotiate this path carrying the holy Ganga
 water observing utmost purity in about three days. But many people take upto seven days depending on their
 physical ability. At last when they reach Deoghar, they pour holy Ganga water over the The Siva
 Lingam after Darshan admist great thunderous chanting,"Hail to Lord Shiva".The Piety and religious 
 and spiritual fervour with which devotees undergo the whole process can not be described.The
 105 K.M. sanctified Path is known as the 'Kanwar Path' and and devotees treading the path, carrying
 the holy water, are called Kanwarias or Bams.

In this part of the country,this Kanwar Journey by devotees of Lord Shiva is regarded as of great religious and
 spiritual importance and every devotee aspires to perfom it as soon as they could.

Thank you.

Anil

Arunachal shiv Ramana                 

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Baba Sri Baidnath-Sultanganj to Deoghar
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »
There is a film known as "Shiva Mahima", of Gulshan Kumar which depicts in a song devotees carrying holy Ganga water to the temple of Lord Shiva. The song starts with "Chal Kanwaria".
There is also a place in West Bengal known as Tarakeshwar where devotees carry water in a similar manner to the temple of Lord Shiva. There is another Baidyanath known as "Parli" Baidyanath in Maharashtra which is also considered as a Jyotirling of Lord Shiva. It is controversial which is the real Baidyanath Dham.

The 12 Jyotirlinga temples are:
1. Somnath Near Vevaral, Gujarat
2. Nageshwar near Dwarka, Gujarat / Aundha Nagnath Temple near Nanded, Maharashtra
3. Tryambakeshwar near Nashik, Maharashtra
4. Bhimashankar, Maharashtra
5. Grishneshwar near Ellora caves, Maharashtra
6. Parli Baidyanath, Maharashtra / Baidyanath Dham, Bihar
7. Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu
8. Srisailam, Andhra Pradesh
9. Mahakalaswar, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh
10. Omkareshwar & Mamleshwar, Madhya Pradesh
11. Kedarnath, Uttaranchal
12. Kashi Vishwanath, Uttar Pradesh
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
 Dear silentgreen,

Yes, Gulshan Kumar's song 'Chal Kanwaria' pertains to '105 K.M. tortuous path known as Kanwaria Path' exhorting
 devotees or Kanwaarias not to allow fatigue to set in and diminish in any way their fervour and devotin to Lord
 Shiva.It is worth mention here that many devotees or Kanwarias are not able to complete their journey and break
 down mid-way due to fatigue,bruises and other ailments that beset them during this great journey.Many such CDs
 and songs are composed every year before the arrival of the month of Shrawan and which welcome the Kanwarias
 all along the Kanwar Path.

I am not aware of any controversy with regard ro Jyotirlinga Temple.But Baba Baidyanath at Deoghar,Jharkhand
 is the Chief Deity in this part of our country.

I did not mention in my post that many Kanwarias, after having taken holy water from the Holy River Ganga at
 Sultanganj,tread the 105 K.M. holy path within 24 hours, almost running all the way bare-footed on this tortuous
 path. They are called Dak-Bams or Kanwarias.They are privileged Kanwarias and felicitated with special arrangements to enter the Sanctum Sanctorum.

Thank You. 

Anil     

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
By controversy I did not mean anything serious, just that some believe Parli Baidyanath is the real Baidyanath Dham while some believe that Baidyanath Dham in Bihar is the real Baidyanath Dham.

Also Kedarnath, Kashi Vishwanath and Rameswaram are spread away a bit. All other Jyotirlingas are concentrated and can be visited within a weeks trip.

I have heard about Kanwarias who complete the entire 105km within 24 hrs. Other people normally complete it in 3 days.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »

Dear silentgreen, Anil,

Thank you for the useful information about Sri Baidanath.  There
is one Stotra by Sri Sankara on these 12 Jyotir Lingas.  The description is quite general and excepting for Ujjain Maha Kaleswara, Sri Sailam Mallikarjuna,[in Andhra Pradesh), Kasi Viswanath, Kedara Nath,and, Rameswaram, in southern tip of India, the other 7 Lingas, are said to be in various places. 

Take for example Vaidyanath or Baidyanath.  It means one who
is the doctor, who cures diseases and also the disease of this
samsara. But this name for Siva is quite common and there is
one temple in Tamizh Nadu also, near Chidambaram, called
Sri Vaitheeswaran Koil, where Siva is Vaidyanatha.  Here, they
give wet vibhuti made into small balls, as medicine to be taken,
for any disease.

Aruunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »
Dear I,
By controversy I did not mean anything serious, just that some believe Parli Baidyanath is the real Baidyanath Dham while some believe that Baidyanath Dham in Bihar is the real Baidyanath Dham.

Also Kedarnath, Kashi Vishwanath and Rameswaram are spread away a bit. All other Jyotirlingas are concentrated and can be visited within a weeks trip.

I have heard about Kanwarias who complete the entire 105km within 24 hrs. Other people normally complete it in 3 days.

Infact, Adi Shankara's Jyotirlinga Stotram mentions Parli Vaidyanath. I'l try and post this stotram. I think Maharashtra alone is said to have 5 Jyotirlingams which i have visited. However, the place, is not of much importance, both Vaidyanath temple are to be considered one and the same

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:34:24 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
Sourashtre Somanadham, cha Sri Shaile Mallikarjunam,
Ujjayinyam Maha Kalam, Omkaram, amaleshwaram,
Paralyam Vaidyanatham, cha Dakinyam Bhimasankaram,
Sethubandhe thu Ramesam, Nagesam thu Darukavane,
Varanasyam thu Viswesam, Trayambakam Gouthami thate,
Himalaye thu Kedaram, Ghushmesam cha Shivalaye,
Ethani Jyothirlingani sayam pratha paden nara,
Saptha janma krutham papam smaranena vinasyathi.

The twelve Lingas of light are,
Somanatha in Sourashtra,
Mallikarjuna in Sri Shailam,
Mahakala in Ujjain,
Omkaram in Amaleshwara,
Vaidhyanatha in Parali,
Bhimasankara in South,
Rameshwara near the bridge in Sethu,
Nageswara in Daruka forest,
Visweswara in Varnasi,
Trayambakeshwara in the shores of Godavari,
Kedareshwara in Himalayas,
And Ghushmesha in Sivalaya.
He who remembers them,
Morning and evening,
Would wash away sins,
Committed in his seven births.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »
 Dear Devotees,

A photograph of the Kanwarias thronging the Sanctum Sanctorum of the Baba Dham
 ( Baba Baidnath, Deoghar, Jharkhand ) in the month of Shrawan is uploaded.

Thank you.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
 Dear Devotees,

A photograph of the magnificent Sun setting over the far
 away horizon of the sacred river ,  the Ganges near Bhagalpur in Bihar is
 uploaded.

Thank you.