Author Topic: Mother's trick  (Read 1119 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Mother's trick
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »
A mother was trying to give an ounce of bitter medicine to her child. However much she might caress and cajole the child, he would not take the medicine. She hit upon a wonderful idea. She placed a sweet ‘laddu’ before the child and said: “If you take this medicine, I will give you the laddu.” At once the child drank the medicine. As the medicine removed the effect of the disease and gave him abundant energy, he ran away in great joy, even forgetting the ‘laddu’. If you tell a man, “Please do this Yajna (sacrifice)”, he will not do, because he seeks pleasure through every action. Therefore, the Vedas offer Svarga, etc., as rewards for sacrifices. When man performs the sacrifices, his heart is purified and gradually wisdom dawns in him. He does not even bother any more for Svarga and the finite happiness there. In Supreme Bliss he gets liberated

- Swami Sivananda Saraswati

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Mother's trick
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:21:53 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Very nice story.  Man does action with ultimate aim of getting some
pleasures.  All our external actions whether moral or immoral
are only to seek the pleasures as fruits.  Phalam.  But one does
not easily understand that one's real happiness is within and not
in external objects. 

Once some rich lady prepared a 32 dish bhiksha for everyone in
the Asramam.  All visitors were very happy enjoying the lunch
with a variety of sweets, curries, good rice, ghee, sambhar etc.,
Bhagavan Ramana as expected, mixed up all the dishes and made into one or two lumps and swallowed them, as if it is a medicine.
He then told the lady who was a bit disappointed:  "Why do you
worry?  You have brought all these nice dishes and I have also
eaten them.  How I ate, you do not worry!  Where is the individual taste for me?"   

Arunachala Siva.