Author Topic: Yoga Vasishtha [YV]  (Read 6416 times)

jivadas

• View Profile
Yoga Vasishtha [YV]
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:39:26 AM »
Yoga Vasishtha is the counterpart of Ramayana. It tells how Rama attained Nirvana, and explains how you may do so also. In the latter sense, it is a Manual of Moksha Freedom--in fact, that is its other name, the Moksha Upaya <mokSopAya> Freedom-Method. 

It is a unique and astonishing book which promises that if you study it, you will attain Nirvana. And it repeats that promise more than once.

Up to now, there is only one complete translation, from the early XX Century, by Vihari Lal Mitra, with a few Chapters added by Ravi Prakash Arya in 1998. [Parimal Publications, Delhi]. It is not a satisfactory translation. The English is very poor. It often uses the word "God" to translate <paramAtma>, &c. But worst of all, it constantly paraphrases and amplifies the text it ought to be translating. But it is all we have for a complete translation.

Swami Venkatesananda has an abridged translation, The Supreme Yoga, [New Age Books], which has gone through many editions over the Decades. This is a faithful translation; but the Swami has had to delete about two-thirds of the original text--and he has done so very well! He had this interesting idea: he divided his abridged translation into two volumes, and further divided each volume into 365 parts, so there is a reading for every day during a two-year study.

Currently, I am in the second year of a seven-year course, in which I am translating the entire YV into English verse. Book One, the Vairagya Prakarana <vairAgya-prakaraNa>, or "Dispassion Teaching", can be found at

http://groups.google.com/group/yoga-vasishtha 

Each Canto is presented in Translation, and "Working Notes", which offers word-for-word translations, notes from commentaries, and I also provide the original text in carefully proofread HK transliteration.

The Working Notes are for Sanskrit students. The Translation is for everyone who can enjoy a work of Sanskrit Philosophy that defines its Terms by telling beautiful stories. 

x0x
jd 

- Show quoted text -
On 11/24/07, Arunachala Ramana <graham@arunachala-ramana.org> wrote:
You are now registered with an account at Arunachala Ramana, jivadas!

Your account's username is jivadas and its password is ramana.

You may change your password after you login by going to your profile, or by visiting this page after you login:

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?action=profile

Regards,
The Arunachala Ramana Team.

--
santozaH paramo lAbhaH satsaGgaH paramA gatiH |
vicAraH paramaM jJAnaM zamo hi paramaM sukham ||

सन्तोशः परमो लाभः सत्सङ्गः परमा गतिः ।
विचारः परमं ज्ञानं शमो हि परमं सुखम् ॥ 
Contentment is the highest gain, Good Company the highest course,
Enquiry the highest wisdom, and Peace the highest enjoyment.
                             -- Yoga Vasishtha
Selections from an ongoing translation  can be had at:
http://groups.google.com/group/yoga-vasishtha

hsreevidya

Re: Yoga Vasishtha [YV]
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »
Thank you so much for your great work.  Even I  was not satisfied with the currentavailable  translation [ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE VERSES AND COMPILED IN ESSAY FORM BY K. NARAYANASWAMY IYER and published by The Theosophical society Adayar,Chennai]
Your efforts will surely be of great help and guidance to readers like me.

sreevidya.

soham3

• External world is shadow of what is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:08:16 PM »
YV was admired by Swami RamaTirth and others but it was censured by Swami Dayananda Saraswati, founder of Arya Samaj. You can find his views in ' Satyarth Prakash '.
O Divine, lead me to dizzy heights of sublimity & loftiness

ashwin

• "God , Guru and Self are one and the same"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Hi,

Well friends, what ever we do and what ever the work we do, keep meditating every day.......

We need to be prepared and make our self free from thoughts and Crystal Clear to reach the destination...... "SELF"

Cheers

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »
Dear "jivadas", Best wishes for you to complete this great work.
Pandit Vrindavana Sarasvaata of Benares, who passed away in 1905,
is said to have read this work of 32000 slokas through 165
times in his lifetime!.  I have a got Sanskrit-English condensef
version of 1698 slokas published by Samata Books, Madras (now
Chennai).  You may try this book also for your project.

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »
Hi Donkey,

Your registered email address is incorrect - please update it

Graham

Admin