Author Topic: Can a mentally retarded person become enlightened?  (Read 6598 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
Can a mentally retarded person become enlightened?
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »
Was does Maharishi say about this subject?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Can a mentally retarded person become enlightened?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »

Dear Jyoti,

Bhagavan Ramana has made some passing references on this
subject in His conversations.  He has said that mental retardation
or other types of psychoses are said to be due to powerful results
of prarabdha karma and these cannot be cured easily even by
medical science today.  Self inquiry is basically a process of investigating and eradicating the ego.  Here the afflicted person
is having a fractured mind.  Hence self inquiry by him will be difficult.

Whereas anxieties, depressions, obsessions - these are called
psychoneuroses and not as psychoses.  These come about when
there is an unbearable misery or fear for a person and these can
be cured.  And such persons after being cured, can do self inquiry.
During the afflicted period of psychoneuroses one can do mantra
japa, chanting the holy name of God along with usual medication.
This will prove helpful.

Arunachala Siva. 

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »
Atleast I would say yes, because you are already the Self and already free.

This is what Bhagavan himself sai:

"Truly there is no cause for you to be miserable and unhappy. You yourself impose limitations on your true nature of infinite being, and then weep that you are but a finite creature. Then you take up this or that spiritual practice to transcend the non-existent limitations. But if your spiritual practice itself assumes the existence of the limitations, how can it help you to transcend them?

Hence I say know that you are really the infinite pure being, the Self. You are always that Self and nothing but that Self. Therefore, you can never be really ignorant of the Self. Your ignorance is merely an imaginary ignorance, like the ignorance of the ten fools about the lost tenth man. It is this ignorance that caused them grief."

Perhaps mental retardation can be hindrance for practicing self-investigation, but this isn't the end of the world either.

A quote from another topic:

"Sometimes devotees would not ask their questions orally, preferring  to write them down on a slip of paper. Once a simple woman had written to him, “I am not learned in the Scriptures and I find the method of Self-enquiry too hard for me. I am a woman with seven children and a lot of household cares, and it leaves me little time for meditation. I request Bhagavan to give me some simpler and easier method.” Sri Ramana gave her the following practical advice, “No learning or knowledge of Scriptures is necessary to know the Self, as no man requires a mirror to see himself. All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not-Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily an obstacle. If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying ‘I,I’ to yourself mentally all the time, as advised in ‘Who am I?’, whatever work you may be doing and whether you are sitting, standing or walking. ‘I’ is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantras. Even OM is second to it.”

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
What about person who suffer from "down syndrome" or similar handicap?
I do not think self-enquiry is possible for them.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
Mentally retarded person cannot do self-enquiry or any other spiritual sadhana properly and hence there is no other alternative until his/her problem is cured.

Its my feeling that ramana maharshi does not really sympathise with them(Mentally retarded person) but rather blame them for their psychological problems and the reason for this behaviour is unexplained.

I donot really remember how i got this information regarding this.

Anyhow "Can a mentally retarded person become enlightened" is a doubt/question which arises to us and not to Mentally retarded person so as bhagavan suggests we should not worry about it but rather continue our sadhana.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:21:57 PM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »
They only appear mentally retarded only to us, because we are used to living according to the rules of conduct formed by the society. We expect people to 'be' in a way. But, they (mentally retarded) are not bothered about what the world thinks about them!

I have read somewhere Sri Ramana say that, if they (mentally retarded) really will, then they can act normally, it is only out of their own choice, they are like that. Let me see if I can get hold of this piece of information from my books. I have heard in some occasions on how, mentally retarded persons have become normal on the effect of listening to Vedic Mantras, pure love, compassion and care (the movie, Munnabai MBBS is a perfect example to this)

We should focus on our enquiry, who am I, who is the one who is feeling disturbed about the mentally retarded persons. Nobody is different. They are just like any other people out there. Because, we should keep in mind that what ever we do, we are not the real doer.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
Could someone please post the actual quotes from Bhagavan about the subject.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »
Could someone please post the actual quotes from Bhagavan about the subject.
This would be most apprectiated.  :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
Dear Hari,

Chadwick also mentions about this in his Reminiscences. A Sadhu's Reminiscences. Sri Bhagavan did not much worry about
mentally ill not merely because they cannot do self inquiry but also because their predicament is more due to demerits of the
past births which cannot be cured by anyone.  Even today's psychiatrists make such people only to sleep by giving sedatives
and very little counselling is done.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
Dear Hari,

See Hari, all ailments are due to prarabdha. But mental illness is one for which they is no total cure.  The anxiety,  depression etc.,
are psycho somatic illnesses and these can be cured. But regular psychosis cannot be cured in full. Since self inquiry is definitely
starting with mind, the mind should be alright;. It can be weak but not ill. Hence Sri Bhagavan did not care, in the sense, that He
did not try teach them anything about atma vicharam. a lame man and a blind man, a deaf man can all understand Sri Bhagavan's
teachings but not a mentally ill person. Sri Chadwick also mentions the same analysis.

Arunachala Siva,         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
Dear Hari,

Sri Bhagavan was looking at all including the madcap with an equal eye.  But He had to look at the madcap only with compassion
for his state and not with compassion to make the mind amenable to self inquiry, because the mad cap had no stable mind to self
inquiry.  The compassion towards the madcap is therefore one of pity for his state.

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
Yes subramanian garu has put in correct words.

aleksandr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
Dear friends,

I am new here and not very familiar with this forum's etiquette, so please forgive me if my answer is not completely in line. I believe these kinds of questions should not be passing through the mind of a seeker. What use will an answer of this nature give to you? I understand if you are asking on the part of a mentally handicap person, but mere philosophizing is not the correct route. If they have a love for God, I am sure Ramana would whole-heartily assure us that they may reach Him.