Author Topic: smt. kanakammal  (Read 2077 times)

SLakshmi

• View Profile
smt. kanakammal
« on: July 19, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
Dear Friends,

I wanted to share my experience of meeting smt.kanakammal in 2007. I had met her when she was still in tmalai. she was fragile and old, but her spirits were just to be experienced. For a devotee who had  surrendered her life at the age of 24 to be in arunachala, what can one say about her vairagyam and her love for bhagavan. She was certainly no ordinary human being.  and to have the same sustained love and energy and spirit for sri bhagavan for all these years was incredible! when asked about life after sri bhagavan's maha-samadhi, she couldnt proceed! her eyes were tearful as though it had happened only yesterday. I learnt a lot. and how much i am able to bring her spirit and teachings in my own life will be a test for my vairagyam! I know it can never be even close to her's..

I had posted the write-up below on my trip back from tmalai on orkut on sri bhagavan's community.

_______

I  had an opportunity to talk to Smt.T.R Kanakammal.She is such a kind person! The moment i sat infront of her...i just didnt know what to ask! For all i know...she could have easily brushed of my inconsequential questions and told me its all in the book! But she was the epitome of patience...she not only answered my queries but also answered with such care and attention..pausing to ask me if i have understood her correctly.."purinjuda ma"?!

Summary of what Smt.T.R.Kanakammal had said -

1.The reason why so many people come to T.Malai is because Bhagavan is still here amongst us at arunachala..and that is what brings us all together here.

2. Every time a person put forth a query...bhagavan would invariably bring to attention/focus of the questioner to the 'I'.For when the 'I' goes back to its source..there isnt a questioner.Hence..bhagavan would insist on bring the 'I' back to its source..and would advise 'self-enquiry'.

3. The practise of self enquiry = You practise self-enquiry by repeating the word 'I'. It is good for starters as it brings your attention to the 'I' especially when you loose track of it. But the repeating of the mantra is also a thought! The whole idea of self-enquiry is to push back the 'I' to its source..where it naturally resides.Therefore the practise of self-enquiry has to be with the 'Feeling' more than anything else. You have to enquire with the feeling 'I' and conviction and the more you do it..and become adept at that..the ego will slowly loose its power to exist coz the 'feeling' on the enquiry is so strong. The main reason as why 'I' exists is because of thoughts. If there is no thought/ego the 'I' cannot exist as it has no power of its own. It exists mainly from the power of externalisation. Internalise...and it looses power and goes back to its source.Self-enquiry is dealing directly with this internalisation.Every time thoughts protrude..internalise it with self-enquiry and do it with feeling and conviction...this will push back the 'I' back to its source. Finally once this gains power, the 'I' will rest in its source..

3. I will tell you abt a conversation that has not been recorded much until now...

There was a devotee of bhagavan who came earnestly and sat before him and asked him this

Devotee : Bhagavan, i need upadesa from you to attain mukti.

Bhagavan: Why should 'I' give you upadesa for you to attain mukti?

Devotee : Bhagavan, you are a jyani and realised! I am a-jyani. Hence, if I get upadesa from a jyani i can get mukti.

Bhagavan : You say that I am a jyani and that i should give you upadesa. But for a jyani..is there a a-jyani? And if i give you upadesa, am i a jyani? For a jyani/realised person, there is no duality. How can then there be a a-jyani?

Duality exists as long as there is a feeling of 'I'. Enquiry and find out for whom the 'I' exists and then the doubts on jyani and a-jyani will be cleared.

This devotee who came for upadesa...nevertheless definitely got one!After all didnt bhagavan give a fitting explanation to the question!

4. Our life is like a film reel. There is an interesting episode.

There was once an actor who was very popular and well-known for his acting skills. He once finished a movie and sat down to watch it. As he started watching the movie..he saw a lot of mistakes. He didnt like what he saw..would cringe at his every scene. When the movie finally got over, he went back to the director and told him he wanted to re-shoot the movie. The director then said, "You cannot re-shoot the movie. The movie is canned and will be in theatres soon. It is impossible. Do one thing, stop acting from now. That will be better."

Our life is similar. our lives are the canned scenes from a film reel that is playing infront of us right now. The scenes are our past karmas from our past birth.There are some things that we dont like or hate in this life..and some that we like. But for ones that we dont, we may choose to correct it, so that in our next birth we may have a better life. But there is a catch! You may correct one and in the process falter in another. Bhagavan says, why do all this correction and faltering..we can do what the director did say. Just not act.We should leave identifying ourselves with the picture of life..and try to get rid of this birth and death routine entirely by self-enquiry.

Her eyes were sparkling whenever she talked of bhagavan and i kept thinking she is so lucky and told her so! and she said..i saw bhagavan in his body and you are seeing bhagavan in spirit. That is the only difference. Rest in the same. Bhagavan is always there and that is what has brought you here.

She said...

"bhagavan has come into you. You are young and still have the interest and eagerness to come here and learn more about bhagavan's teachings. That means bhagavan has come into you. Otherwise there are so many other things these days to keep you occupied. Keep the practise going.."

Her last message is for everyone. All of us are to blessed to belong to sri bhagavan's family. Once when i told mani mama from the ashram that he was the lucky one to be born in sri bhagavan's family he said it was not so. he said all of us are lucky to belong to the big ramana family and can claim brotherhood and sisterhood!

ramanarpamastu

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: smt. kanakammal
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
Dear Lakshmi Garu,

You are very lucky to have a conversation with smt. kanakammal who is a blessed devotee of bhagavan ramana.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Excellent post containing very useful information about Smt.
T.R. Kanakammal.

I had only one good fortune of being one of the thousands of
devotees, who were present on that eventful 1st January 2010.

Once Kanakammal [I think it should be Dec 2009] when Brahmasri
Nochur Venkataraman was discoursing on ULLadu Narpadu in
Chennai, Smt. T.R. Kanakammal was present in the first row to
listen to Nochur.  Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman was quite
pleased and said:  "For discourses of Tulsi Das, Hanuman
used to be present always.  Like that, Smt. T.R.K is sitting here
for my Satsangh on ULLadu Narpadu.  What more fortune I need?"

Arunachala Siva.   

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:42:58 PM »
thank you subramanian sir and prasanthji..

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »
I met Kanakammal many times.She used to narrate her association with Bhagawa.I was there on Ist Jan 2010.
Her leaving the body in the presence of Bhagawan on Jayanthi day is like ripe fruit falling silently.I have witnessed
such a beautiful death.
It is surprising how i missed Sri Subramanian.I have not seen even his photo.That could be one of the reason.
pvssnraju

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
Dear I,

Thank you for your enlightening article -

Specially, I found these very moving -

Her eyes were sparkling whenever she talked of bhagavan and i kept thinking she is so lucky and told her so! and she said..i saw bhagavan in his body and you are seeing bhagavan in spirit. That is the only difference. Rest in the same. Bhagavan is always there and that is what has brought you here.

She said...

"bhagavan has come into you. You are young and still have the interest and eagerness to come here and learn more about bhagavan's teachings. That means bhagavan has come into you. Otherwise there are so many other things these days to keep you occupied. Keep the practise going.."

Her last message is for everyone. All of us are to blessed to belong to sri bhagavan's family. Once when i told mani mama from the ashram that he was the lucky one to be born in sri bhagavan's family he said it was not so. he said all of us are lucky to belong to the big ramana family and can claim brotherhood and sisterhood!

How blessed are we all to be in 'Ramana Family'

Gratitude, Gratitude, Gratitude

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

amiatall

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 12:32:16 AM »
Thank you.
Quite some emotions were moving while reading post.