Author Topic: The greatest test of true spirituality  (Read 3352 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
The greatest test of true spirituality
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
In Mahabharatha, there is a parable which stands testimony to Yudhishtra’s  inherent greatness when compared with Duriyodhana. One day Duriyodhana is summoned and asked to bring one good man from the earth. In the evening a disillusioned Duriyodhana returns, grumbling about how there isn’t one decent man left on the face of the earth. The very same day, Yudhishtra returns, shaking his head in utter dismay, genuinely unable to spot ONE BAD man, on which endeavour he was sent!! Each saw in the world what he found himself to be. Much as Duriyodana tried to rule the kingdom and prove his supremacy, it is proven beyond doubt that he must have been a tormented man, unhappy with himself on the core level. While Yudhishtra was intrinsically happy and contented even when he was in the forest, divested of the kingdom and the honours of a princely life!

This would be the greatest test of true spirituality – when one is unable to judge or condemn another human being, unable to hate, regardless of how different or even obnoxious he may be, it is only THEN that the individual is truly spiritual.

Every incidents that may result in raising our temper is the biggest grace of Guru, every people who test our patience are verily our Parama Guru. External divisions exist only for our upliftment alone. All sorrows, pains and worries are the greatest of Grace of Guru.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: The greatest test of true spirituality
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
Dear Nagaraj ji,

One thing I do not understand, While Duryodhana called pandavas, why krishna did not advise them how to play.
At least they would have kept the bet without brothers and wife. After the war broke Krishna did lots of tricks to win the war. And I wounder being so true spirtiual person, how he could loose Drowpathi. It happenes always for woman only. Drowpathi was in Mahabharatham, and sita in Ramayana. This two things I can digest till today.

Ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »
Dear I,

There is one very popular saying - Vinaasakaale Vipareeta Buddhi. in a man's worst time his mind goes beserk. Yudhishtira was a Kshtriya. It is in a Kshtriya's blood to never accept defeat, never say "NO" to a challenger. In tamil we have this word 'Chabalam' I don't know its english translation. He could not say No when he was thrown a challenge. Though he was hesitant first, through the tricks of Shakuni, he was coaxed and made to accept. As for Krishna, he was not around then.

The significance is that, when we remember God always, we will never run into any troubles. When we forget God, only then we run into various troubles. Perhaps the inner significance of Krishna's absence is only this. If he were around, i.e. if Pandavas remembered God, Krishna would have been present there and he would have saved them.

But hindsight, after this, Pandavas always remembered God and Krishna was always with them. Remember how He saved them in the forest from the wrath of Sage Durvasa? How He helped them to win the battle and their kingdom.

Mahabharata is the 5th Veda. There is so much significance in it.

Similarly, in Ramayana, Same things happens even here, Didn't Rama know, that the deer was only a Rakshasa? and he left Sita in care of Lakshmana and goes, and eventually when the Rakshasa cries in the voice of Rama, Sita gets scared and sends Lakshmana into the forest. Didn't Lakshmana knew beforehand that nothing could happen to Sri Rama.

But there are deep significances to everything, if Sita had not sent them, Ravana would not have been killed
If Manthaara had not played her role, Rama would not have gone to the forese and Ravana could not have killed.

These are all Deva Rahasya. We can never know them completely, we can only know their significance.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:41:51 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Well said and nice article Nagaraj garu.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:59:27 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

My feeling (Adhangam in tamil) is ultimately woman only suffering whether to kill kowravas or Ravana.
Were not there some otherway to kill asuras. If God would have thought the story might have happened in different way. There is no test for man whereas all tests are made for worman only.

Ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
Dear I,

I agree with you, over the past few thousands of years, Woman had to/ still are having to suffer. I totally agree with you. Men with their ego and power, have put down the woman so that they may not be out shined in any ways.

I don't have a convincing answer to your question! But you see, when we enquire who am I, there is neither man nor woman, this 'I' is neither of them. Apparently, we should perhaps learn to see it as not woman or men but only the Good and Bad.

But the hidden truth is that Woman progress much faster even spiritually than men because they are more steadfast in their usual lives. We only know of few realised people who have become famous by virtue of their poems or songs. But there are many realised souls who are not known to us, they remain hidden in the mundane worldly life for it is not necessary to appear different like a sage to (be realised) in such hidden people, I am sure there are more woman than men.

Definitely Woman are far more wiser than men.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Very true.  To see "good" in others will always ensure spiritual
progress for any seeker.  One should not be critical of others unnecessarily.  One Gounder was there in Tiruvannamalai.  He was
considered bad by everyone since he was collecting usurious interest from persons to whom he had lent money, like poor merchants and farmers.  He also used to come to Bhagavan Ramana for darshan regularly.  This Gounder one day died.  The devotees were eagerly expecting what Bhagavan Ramana would say about this man.  They slowly started the topic:  'The Gounder passed away last night."   Bhagavan Ramana said:  "O Gounder!
He used to wear always spotlessly white dhoti, properly washed
and dried.  He is known for his cleanliness and neat dress!"
The devotees became speechless.

Dear Ramanaduli,

The Hindu society is always a male chauvinist society.  Women
were always treated badly.  Be it Nalayini or Savitri or Ahalya.
When a wife dies, a man could remarry.  When the husband dies,
the wife should tonsure her head and wear only white sari.  She
was treated as inauspicious.  During the time when Sati practice
was in vogue, wives were pushed into the pyre, though most of them wanted to live. I should say that this situation is changing fast, in recent times.  Upanishads speak about Gargi and Maitreyi
but all said and done, women were treated very badly.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Dear Subraaniyan ji,

Bhagavan is not only brahma jnani but also a social reformer also. He accepted women to do their atma vichara
and He never showed any restriction in food or clothes. He gave full freedom for women the way they wanted to
live, like wearing white saree or orange colour saree and eating onions and drum sticks. In our custom even today
widows would not take these type of vegetables.  According to Him ATMA VICHARAM IS THE BIRTH RIGHT FOR EVERY ONE.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:47 AM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

Bhagavan Ramana's teaching and His approach was quite
unique.  He never differentiated between man and woman
for the purpose of atma vichara.  This, He has told even in
Sri Ramana Gita, which is one of the earliest works. 

But at the same time, He put up with certain practices of the
society, like lunch for brahmins and non brahmins separately,
women should not remain in the Asramam beyond sun set
etc., Once when Mahaswami of Kanchi came to Tiruvannamalai,
all the devotees from the Asramam, went to see him.  Suri
Nagamma alone remained inside.  Bhagavan asked her as to
why she did not go out to see the Mahaswami.  Suri Nagamma
said:  I am having locks of hair.  Mahaswami would not see any
widow who was having locks of hair.  Bhagavan understood
and simply said: 'Hmmm...' and left the matter at that.

Arunachala Siva.