Author Topic: Annamalai Swami's Explanation on Self Inquiry  (Read 2098 times)

srkudai

Annamalai Swami's Explanation on Self Inquiry
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
Thanks to Subramanianji, I could get hold of Annamalai Swamiji's CD. Here is a brief explanation of Self Inquiry by Annamalai Swami:

You are a man [or a woman] ... you have conviction on it. You do not have to remind yourself that you are a man [or a woman]. But suppose you start to think you are some animal or something, you have to tell yourself that you are a man and not an animal. It is like that.

Again he says : You are not the body or the mind. You are the Self.

In other words, whenever we think we are body or the mind, we have to remind ourselves that we are not the body or the mind, but the Self. This is Self inquiry.

At one stage when the disciple asked "I do not understand", annamalai swami says "who does not understand, mind or Self". He replied "Mind" and Annamalai Swami says "You are not the mind"

:) Same thing everywhere. "I want to do this or do that" ... who wants? "mind" , "You are not the mind"
Holding onto the conviction that i am Consciousness [Self]... ignoring mind and mental demands is Self inquiry.
Treating the mind and body as not me ... that is self inquiry.
i do not strive for comforts of body or the comforts of mind. mental demands need not be pacified. this is self inquiry.

its mentally rejecting i am the mind or the body until the conviction is permanent and as clear as the conviction that i am a man and not an animal.

just as we never, even unconsciously, take ourselves to be an animal ... so too ... once we never take ourselves to be body or mind. once we stop projecting the states of body or mind onto ourselves .... then Self inquiry is complete.
as long as there are projections of states of body and mind onto Self, as long as we take the state of mind and call it our state ... self inquiry is to practice rejecting / ignoring mind.

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Annamalai Swami's Explanation on Self Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Very true.  Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman says in his sat-sangh:

"Please do not take notes.  Do not try to remember everything
through mental process of memory.  Just listen, attentively.
It will go into your Heart." 

Listening attentively, is Self-attention.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:37:59 AM »
I am moved indeed by reading your post on Shri Annamalai Swami's Explanation on Self Enquiry.
This has given a new perspective into Self Enquiry for Sadhana.Thank you very much.
                                                                                                       Anil

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:55:11 AM »
Dear Subramanian, "Listening attentively, is Self-attention." This must be written in golden letters.

pvssnraju