Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi says It is impossible to get what we have not got already  (Read 1283 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
16-9-45 Afternoon

V: Visitor
B: Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi

V: All books say that the guidance of a Guru is necessary.

B: The Guru will say only what I am saying now. He will not give you anything you have not already. It is impossible for anyone to get what he has not got already. Even if he gets any such thing, it will go as it came. What comes will also go. What always is will alone remain. The Guru cannot give you anything new, which you have not already. Removal of the notion that we have not realised the Self is all that is required. We are always the Self. Only, we don’t realise it.

Source: DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN From the Diary of A. DEVARAJA MUDALIAR

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Dear prasanth,

This is quite an interesting revelation from Bhagavan Ramana.
We are born in the Self and what we acquire in this world, by
way of objective experiences would never remain with us for
ever.  This is not only in Vedanta but also in the normal day to
day life. We have seen cases of cine actors amassing huge wealth
and losing them in their own lifetimes.  Even in reading and learning
it is true.  Bhagavan Ramana says in Who am I?:  All that one has
learnt, anew, has to be forgotten.  Students read Computer Engineering and end up as IAS officers.  In course of time, they
forget all their computer knowledge unless they are in touch with
the machines.  I had a colleague, who joined my company but he
was an Medical degree holder!  For want of a suitable job, he joined our company which has nothing to do with medicine.  After 10 years, he forgot most of what he had learnt.  Only the Self within us remains for ever, since it is eternal and not acquired.

Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman used to give a new example.  The medical experts have now found out that only those ailments for
which seeds are already in our body (genetic) while taking birth cannot be cured.  All other ailments, acquired can be nullified!

Arunachala Siva.