Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi says to stay quiescent without ever forgetting God(Self)  (Read 1500 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
D: When one enquires into the root of ‘self-conceit’ which is of the form ‘I’, all sorts of different thoughts without number seem to rise; and not any separate ‘I’ thought.

M: It is the rise of egoity that is the cause and source of the rise of all other thoughts; therefore, if the self-conceit of the form of egoity which is the root of the illusory tree of samsara (bondage consisting of transmigration) is destroyed, all other thoughts will perish completely like an uprooted tree.

Whatever thoughts arise as obstacles to one’s sadhana (spiritual discipline), the mind should not be allowed to go in their direction, but should be made to rest in one’s Self which is the Atman; one should remain as witness to whatever happens, adopting the attitude ‘Let whatever strange things happen, happen; let us see!’ This should be one’s practice. In other words, one should not identify oneself with appearances; one should never relinquish one’s Self. This is the proper means for destruction of the mind (manonasa) which is of the nature of seeing the body as Self, and which is the cause of all the aforesaid obstacles. This method which easily destroys egoity deserves to be called devotion (bhakti),meditation (dhyana), concentration (yoga), and knowledge (jnana). Because God remains of the nature of the Self,shining as ‘I’ in the Heart, because the scriptures declare that thought itself is bondage, the best discipline is to stay quiescent without ever forgetting Him (God, the Self), after resolving in Him the mind which is of the form of the ‘Ithought’, no matter by what means. This is the conclusive teaching of the scriptures.

Source: Collected Works Part One Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Dear prasanth,

The thought is the bondage:

I shall quote one of the narrations of Annamalai Swami to a questioner:

When I first came to Bhagavan, I used to ask questions about
liberation.  What is bondage?  What is freedom?  And so on.

Muruganar, who was sitting next to me on one of these occasions,
laughed and said:  "This boy doesn't even know what liberation is and what bondage is."

I think he was amused by the innocence of my enquiries.  After
I began serving Bhagavan, I listened very attentively to all philosophical explanations that He gave.  I also talked to Chadwick and other devotees about various aspects of Vedanta.  I gradually
absorbed the teachings until a point came where I could say that I had a good working knowledge of Bhagavan's teachings and the various other systems that were being discussed in His Presence.

In one of his later songs, Muruganar wrote about Bhagavan, "You
make wise people of those who come to you in an ignorant state.
This is the grace of Bhagavan Ramana.   I always felt that this
was a reference to me.

It wasn't easy in the beginning.  When I first came to the Asramam, I was so forgetful I rarely remembered anything that
Bhagavan said.   Because I was so forgetful, I used to keep a paper and pencil and write down whatever Bhagavan was saying.

I felt that my forgetfulness was a hindrance to absorbing Bhagavan's teachings, so one day, I approached Him and said:
"Bhagavan, my memory is very bad.  Could you please bless me
with a good one."

Bhagavan looked into my eyes for a few minutes without saying anything.  From that day on, my memory became very clear and sharp, so much so,  I gave up carrying my pencil and paper.

(Source: Final Talks)   

Arunachala Siva.