Author Topic: Ten principles for the PEACE of MIND  (Read 3344 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ten principles for the PEACE of MIND
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
1. Do Not Interfere In Others' Business Unless Asked.

Most of us create our own problems by interfering too often in others' affairs. We do so because somehow we have convinced ourselves that our way is the best way, our logic is the perfect logic and those who do not conform to our thinking must be criticized and steered to the right direction, our direction. This thinking denies the existence of individuality and consequently the existence of God.. God has created each one of us in a unique way. No two human beings can think or act in exactly the same way. All men or women act the way they do because God within them prompts them that way. Mind your own business and you will keep your peace.

2. Forgive And Forget:

This is the most powerful aid to peace of mind. We often develop ill feelings inside our heart for the person who insults us or harms us. We nurture grievances. This in turn results in loss of sleep, development of stomach ulcers, and high blood pressure. This insult or injury was done once, but nourishing of grievance goes on forever by constantly remembering it. Get over this bad habit. Life is too short to waste in such trifles. Forgive,20Forget, and march on. Love flourishes in giving and forgiving.

3. Do Not Crave For Recognition:

This world is full of selfish people. They seldom praise anybody without selfish motives. They may praise you today because you are in power, but no sooner than you are powerless, they will forget your achievement and will start finding faults in you. Why do you wish to kill yourse lf in striving for their recognition? Their recognition is not worth the aggravation. Do your duties ethically and sincerely.

4. Do Not Be Jealous:

We all have experienced how jealousy can disturb our peace of mind. You know that you work harder than your colleagues in the office, but sometimes they get promotions; you do not. You started a business several years ago, but you are not as successful as your neighbor whose business is only one year old. There are several examples like these in everyday life. Should you be jealous? No. Remember everybody's life is shaped by his/her destiny, which has now become his/her reality. If you are destined to be rich, nothing in the world can stop you. If you are not so destined, no one can help you either. Nothing will be gained by blaming others for your misfortune. Jealousy will not get you anywhere; it will only take away your peace of mind.

5. Change Yourself According To The Environment:

If you try to change the environment single-handedly, the chances are you will fail. Instead, change yourself to suit your environment. As you do this, even the environment, which has been unfriendly to you, will mysteriously change and seem congenial and harmonious.

6. Endure What Cannot Be Cured:

This is the best way to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. Every day we face numerous inconveniences, ailments, irritations, and accidents that are beyond our control. If we cannot control them or change them, we must learn to put up with these things. We must learn to endure them cheerfully. Believe in yourself and you will gain in terms of patience, inner strength and will power.

7. Do Not Bite Off More Than You Can Chew:

This maxim needs to be remembered constantly. We often tend to take more responsibilities than we are capable of carrying out. This is done to satisfy our ego. Know your limitations. . Why take on additional loads that may create more worries? You cannot gain peace of mind by expanding your external activities. Reduce your material engagements and spend time in prayer, introspection and meditation. This will reduce those thoughts in your mind that make you restless. Uncluttered mind will produce greater peace of mind.

8. Meditate Regularly:

Meditation calms the mind and gets rid of disturbing thoughts. This is the highest state of peace of mind. Try and experience it yourself. If you meditate earnestly for half an hour everyday, your mind will tend to become peaceful during the remaining twenty-three and half-hours. Your mind will not be easily disturbed as it was before. You would benefit by gradually increasing the period of daily meditation. You may think that this will interfere with your daily work. On the contrary, this will increase your efficiency and you will be able to produce better results in less time.

9. Never Leave The Mind Vacant:

An empty mind is the devil's workshop. All evil actions start in the vacant mind. Keep your mind occupied in something positive, something worthwhile. Actively follow a hobby. Do something that holds your interest. You must decide what you value more: money or peace of mind. Your hobby, like social work or religious work, may not always earn you more money, but you will have a sense of fulfillment and achievement. Even when you are resting physically, occupy yourself in healthy reading or mental chanting of God's name.

10. Do Not Procrastinate And Never Regret:

Do not waste time in protracted wondering " Should I or shouldn't I?" Days, weeks, months, and years may be wasted in that futile mental debating. You can never plan enough because you can never anticipate all future happenings. Value your time and do the things that need to be done. It does not matter if you fail the first time. You can learn from your mistakes and succeed the next time. Sitting back and worrying will lead to nothing. Learn from your mistakes, but do not brood over the past. DO NOT REGRET. Whatever happened was destined to happen only that way. Why cry over spilt milk?

Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/15945014/10-Principles-for-Peace-of-Mind

amiatall

Re: Ten principles for the PEACE of MIND
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
9. Never Leave The Mind Vacant:

An empty mind is the devil's workshop. All evil actions start in the vacant mind. Keep your mind occupied in something positive, something worthwhile. Actively follow a hobby. Do something that holds your interest. You must decide what you value more: money or peace of mind. Your hobby, like social work or religious work, may not always earn you more money, but you will have a sense of fulfillment and achievement. Even when you are resting physically, occupy yourself in healthy reading or mental chanting of God's name.

Any commentaries?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »

Mind can never be kept empty.  The best way, in my view, is to
keep it engaged in sattvic work, like gardening, telling beads, or
some non-profit social work like teaching children, learning simple
new arts like singing Bhagavan Ramana's poems in a low tone and
enjoying the contents and the music.  When one goes to bed, before
you get into deep sleep, chant some holy names.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:41:58 PM »
well said Subramanian garu.

Once there was discussion between Varanasi Subbalakshmi garu and bhagavan and it goes like this

V S :  "What have I got except endless work in the kitchen?" Bhagavan said with deep feeling:

B:  "Your hands may do the work but your mind can remain still.

You are that which never move Realize that and you will find that work is not a strain.

But as long as you think that you are the body and that the work is done by you,you will feel your life to be an endless toil.

In fact, it is the mind that toils, not the body.

Even if your body keeps quiet, will your mind keep quiet too?

Even in sleep the mind is busy with its dreams."

amiatall

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
Doesn't still mind implies empty mind?
I am sure those who meditate knows that at some point mind gets totally empty and silent.
Now, how's the devil to work if there is nothing to work with?

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »
Amiatall Garu,

There is no concept of empty mind in waking state according to me.

I am sure not all bhagavan devotees are in agreement with me.

Anyhow i suggest we leave all these *theory* discussions whether one can achieve empty mind or not but rather try to control our thoughts as suggested by bhagavan and bhagavad gita and kill our ego as far as possible.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:41:32 PM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

amiatall

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
Well, according to my experience there is actually an empty mind in the waking state. I mean, it can be empty without a trace of thought, that's why I have risen a question. Of course it is not totally empty because there is someone to see that emptiness, but anyway I don't see how can it be evil as mentioned above in "ten commandments of peace of mind".
Why it is important? There is nothing important, but anyway for the starters, it can even obstruct ones' way of inquiry if one gets deluded that an empty mind is "evil" or whatever, then one will cling to mantra or any other thought because of fear of the statement, thus delaying the train which must and will sooner or later go through that emptiness and darkness.

viswanathan

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:30 PM »
Amiatall Garu,
Anyhow i suggest we leave all these *theory* discussions whether one can achieve empty mind or not but rather try to control our thoughts as suggested by bhagavan and bhagavad gita and kill our ego as far as possible.
Arunachala Ramana  forum thrives only on "theory" discussions  and this is evident on discussions.discussions  and more discussions on Bhagavan's teachings . Bhagavan ramana has given very crystal clear instructions on mano nigraham  and there is no need for any discussion on Bhagavan's teachings at all.His teachings are so simple to understand that great devotees like Annamalai Swami who was not highly educated could easily understand Bhagavan's teachings and could practice.Bhagavan clearly says that if we do not practice atma vichara, mind will start doing ulaka vichara and hence we should not give room to the mind to do for ulaka vichara. All these endless discussions fall under ulaka vichara only.He categorically told that if we practice atma vichara,then the mind will get its strength to stay in its source and mind will not stray thinking about past and future.Bhagavan says that the conclusive evidence  of all scriptures is that we have do control the mind  and he asks us how can we do that by just reading  endless books(also endless discussion)  instead of practicing?All these discussions help only to strength our  ego and  do not help us to erase the ego.Hence if we have to erase the Ego, who have to turn our attention inwards known in tamil as SUMMS IRU.Are we?

amiatall

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
Dear viswanathan,

Well said.

May we try to go around and break concepts?
Shall i contemplate in a questionable manner?
Should we stop discussing?
How can a discussion, a relationship, a talk, prevent the mind control?
Does, really, any action contradicts knowledge?

After ten years, one comes out of the cave and starts seeing that nothing has changed at all, one realizes that relationship is a mirror of the mind, which shows where one is standing exactly, one can't escape it, one have to be honest. Relationship is the basis of life and is life itself. We are always relating with everything even with our self in one way or another, or not?

Is the key point to watch oneself and realize non-doership ? ( does realization equals GAINING? ) 

Now, I ask:
doing discussing how discussion is pointless;
doing discussing of various teachings;
doing "SUMA IRU".

what is the difference if the doer is overlooked?

Again, Is Knowledge and action really contradictive?

Can everyone become brahmins? Can everyone become lawyers? Can everyone become <another role> ?
So what will happen if all will turn attention inward and realize the Self? Will they become all brahmins? When I am dreaming, and I know for sure that this is a dream, does the person in the dream change to anything? Does person has anything to do with realization/knowledge?

Now lets go a bit deeper, in this context, then, everything is pointless, isn't going to work, making money, talking etc. endless and pointless action? By turning attention inward, what will change exactly? Do work, making money, talking stop?

All regulations and restrictions arise only for person in order for that person to get the realization or isn't it so? But in Truth Is that person going to get any realization? Do any regulations and restrictions will ever get one closer to the Truth? Why?

Have fun.

viswanathan

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »
Dear Mr.Amiatall,
                      Thia is in response to reply no 8 posted by you.I am deeply attached to Bhagavan's teachings and i take his teaching as gold standard.His teachings are rational, free from rituals ,applicable to people of different faiths, simple  and is in line with sastras. As per Bhagavan, the root cause for all problem is Ego and he wants us to erase this  ego and he has given simple method.He never asked anybody to stop working/stop earning money/stop  having  relationship.In fact when some of the house holders wanted to leave the family and serve  the ashram ,he never encouraged them to do so. .When some body wanted sit and do continuous meditation for hours together without doing any work  he never encouraged that .In fact sastra itself  says that we should  earn our livelihood.What Bhagavan wants us is to get rid of the notion "I and Mine''.Once we do any work without that notion ,then there is no role for the ego.You may recall the history wherein countries fought endless wars because of strong notion of I and Mine of individuals  and examples are many such as Hitler,  Mussolini,Japanese ruler,Sadham Husain etc.
                      To get rid of of "I' notion also known as ahamkara, Bhagavan has given an unique  method which we do not find even in sastras and that unique method is called  self enquiry which is nothing but cutting I thought at its root when ever it props up. Any body can do this practice since it is not restricted any to caste, community or profession.We can practice self enquiry while walking, sitting,, driving and even while one is brushing the teeth or while in rest room.While your attention is inwards, your external activities will not at all be affected.It will get affected only when self attention is lost.It is like this.When you are attending to some serious work, there wont be any thought about past or future and your full attention will be  on the job and in this state, you are automatically going inwards and you are in meditation without yourself aware that you are in meditation . You  will complete  the job perfectly well without any mistake.However, if some thought props up while you are on the job, it means that thinker has come(I notion) since there cannot be a thought without thinker. Then your concentration in the job will be lost  and you will make mistake in that job.
      To your question on what will change after realization,the very fact that one is attracted to Bhagavan's teaching & attracted to Arunachala ramana forum means that at present he is unhappy and  want happiness and peace.  He will  get happiness and peace when he sheds the"I and Mine" notion collectively called Ego.  Bhagavan has given a practical method to erase the ego and to my knowledge no body has given such simple method and that is  why Bhagavan's teachings are popular through out the world.. What will happen by turning attention inwards cannot be explained in words but has to be experienced by oneself.

viswanathan

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:01 AM »
    To get rid of of "I' notion also known as ahamkara, Bhagavan has given an unique  method which we do not find even in sastras and that unique method is called  self enquiry which is nothing but cutting I thought at its root when ever it props up.

In my above post there are some spelling mistakes. PROPS UP should be read as POPS UP.The reason for  spelling mistakes in my posts  is primarily due to my poor eye sight due to Retina detachment and the other reason is that I am not proficient in english since my mother tongue is Tamil.Moreover  I have studied in Tinnai Pallikoodam and i am not convent educated.Hope readers will pardon me for my mistakes.

viswanathan

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 07:06:29 AM »
Now, I ask:
doing discussing how discussion is pointless;
doing discussing of various teachings;
doing "SUMA IRU".
There can  endless discussions on objects whereas what is there to  discuss about SELF which is the   nothing but state of BEING  or SILENCE.Also we do not discuss  the gospel of sages such as Sri.Ramakrishna,Swami Viekananda, Paramacharya of Kanchi, Jesus Christ and other sages  since their teachings are revelations.What  Bhagavan says is that we have to throw away the books(meaning stop reading) at certain stage and try to BE.
Viswanathan