Author Topic: Arunachala Hill According to Puranas  (Read 1463 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Arunachala Hill According to Puranas
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »
In the language of the Puranas, it is the Heart of the World, and the ancient legend of its origin goes like this:

Brahma, the Lord of creation, and Vishnu, the divine sustainer of it, were quarrelling about their status, as to which one of them was the greater. As their discussion grew heated,things in the universe got into disorder, and the minor deities fell in fear and anxiety. Finally they resorted to Lord Siva, the All-powerful, for aid. Between the quarrelling Gods there appeared suddenly a gigantic pillar of light, the sight of which dumbfounded them for a moment. Out of this light came a mysterious Voice:

“He who shall find the upper or the lower end of Me shall be deemed the greater one.”

Immediately both of the antagonists put themselves to work.Vishnu took the form of a boar and started to dig deep into the soil in search of the lower end of the column of light. Brahma transformed himself into a swan and soared higher and higher.

Neither of them arrived at an end of the apparition.Vishnu, catching the idea that the mysterious Voice might have a deeper meaning, gave up and sat down, to find it in the depth of meditation.

Brahma, troubled by the idea that Vishnu might have been successful, became envious, and when there came falling just then a heavenly flower, he grasped it and decided to pretend that he had found it on top of the magic light.

Vishnu, thus being deceived, complained to Lord Siva,asking why He had bestowed on Brahma the Grace of success.
Thereupon Siva revealed Himself in the pillar of Light, and,blessing both of them, declared:

“I am Siva; I am Brahman, the mystery of the universe,and thus Atman, the mystery of beings. Nobody can reach Me by his own endeavour. But to those who surrender wholeheartedly to Me, to them I reveal Myself. You ask Me to stay on earth for being worshipped. Well, I shall stay here as Arunachala, the Hill of Light, and when during Autumn the Moon shall arise on the horizon at the same hour when the Sun is setting, there shall be a huge fire lit on the summit, radiating far around. To those who see the Light and meditate on it as the symbol of enlightenment I shall grant the highest Truth.”

In this legend of Arunachala, Brahma stands for buddhi, the reason, Vishnu for ahamkara, the ego of man, Siva for Atman, the secret of man’s true Nature. Neither reason nor ego can, of their own talents, reach the Supreme Atman, the supreme Self, the true nature of man; they have to submit. Only then the Atman reveals Itself.

Source: HUNTING THE ‘I’ according to Sri Ramana Maharshi By LUCY CORNELSSEN

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Arunachala Hill According to Puranas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Arunachala's glory has been described both in Saiva Ellappa Navalar's Tamizh, Arunachala Puranam [of 649 Tamil verses] and also in Sri Arunachala Maahatmyam, which has also been published by Sri Ramanasramam, by combining various bits of stories from Skandam,Siva Rahasyam, Siva Maha Puranam, Skandopapuranam.  The original compilation, you will be surprised to know, of 2659 slokas was done   by Bhagavan Ramana Himself!  Bhagavan Ramana used to tell the stories of Arunachala to devotees from the Tamizh Puranam, and His voice would choke and His eyes would shed tears! (Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, dated 30.07.1948).

Sri Arunachala Maahatmyam written by Bhagavan Ramana is quite
brief, just 7 verses.  This is added in the booklet of Sri Arunachla
Stuti Panchakam, published by Sri Ramanasramam.  This is also
included in the Tamizh Parayanam on Mondays in the evenings.

Arunachala Siva.