Author Topic: Tamil is India’s pride, says Pratibha Patil  (Read 4591 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Tamil is India’s pride, says Pratibha Patil
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/politics/tamil-is-indias-pride-says-pratibha-patil_100384666.html

Coimbatore, June 23 (IANS) “The history of Tamil is India’s pride and respecting other religions is the Tamilian culture,” said President Pratibha Patil as she inaugurated the World Classical Tamil Conference here Wednesday.
Speaking in the decked-up town around 510 km from Chennai, the president pointed out that Tamil was accorded the status of a classical language in 2004 due to its role as a carrier of great culture, not just because of its age and richness.

“The Tamil people have enriched cultural richness of the world and India,” she told the thousands of delegates from India and abroad gathered for the five-day event.

She said the Tamil community fought for India’s freedom from British rule, with Tamil poets like Subramania Bharathiar and Bharathi Dasan penning poems that evoked patriotism among the people.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi said Tamil was not only an international language, “it is like a mother for all the languages of the world”.

“This World Classical Tamil Conference is different from the previous eight conferences. The three words — World, Classical and Tamil — not only contain a depth of meaning but also describe the conference,” he said.

Tamil Nadu Governor Surjit Singh Barnala and Deputy Chief Minister M.K. Stalin also spoke on the occasion.

Earlier, President Patil gave away the Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi Classical Tamil Award to Finnish Tamil scholar Asko Parpola.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Tamil is India’s pride, says Pratibha Patil
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
Anything which comes from the heart it is glorified. When it is coming from the mind it is horrified. Even any language.
All tamil saints, sages and siddhas expressed their bhakti through this language so it is rich, cultural and has depth.
But when this is used for power it becomes like butcher's knief.it becomes MOZHI VERI AND MADHA VERI then it looses its richness.

Ramanaduli

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
Ramanaduli garu,

i admire tamilians a lot.

Tamilians in general are hard-workers and amazing.

There are lot of brilliant scientists , great mathematicans and also great people in field of sports and movies as well.

Even i remember that ramana maharshi once told tamil is Lord Shiva's Language.

One amazing thing is even muslims from tamil nadu speaks only tamil  :) .

I have seen even srilankan muslims also speak only in tamil and not in urdu or other local language.

It is strange and amazing but happens only in tamil nadu.

Come to andhra pradesh where we fight with each other like telangana issue etc etc ...  :)

I have seen few tamil collegues of mine who does not even want to move from tamil nadu.  :)

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »
Indeed there is no doubt it. It is said, Lord Murga is pleased to hear tamil poem where He asked one tamil poetess/saint to praise the devotees in tamil. Even Arunagiri when He sang Uma forgot herself and let Her son Muruga to come down to give darshan to the public. The first sidhha Agasthya wrote the tamil grammer. It is equalent to Latin and sanskrit. But people are misusing. All 64 leelas are played by Lord siva in Madurai where there was a Tamil sangam. When u listen any tamil Padhigam (Padhayalu) sung by Nayanmars or Azhwar tears will simply fall down. Surprisingly the telugu people who never speak tamil but they sing Thruppavai in tamil. Anybody truely study tamil, they will become advaitee at the end. There are so many books, palm leaves writen by sages still not come out. Lord Shiva asked Sekizhar to write periyapuranam and He gave the first line Ullakaellam....There is no end.All tamil devotees know this.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »

Dear prasanth, Ramanaduli,

Tamizh is less old only to Sanskrit among the Proto-Aryan and
Proto-Dravidian languages.  Here Aryan means only Sanskrit and
not Brahmins, which is not a direct meaning.  Dravidam means only
Tamizh and not the people living in south of Vindhayas (purported
to be driven out by Aryans of Gangetic plains, it is all political
interpretations).  In fact there were many Brahmins among Tamils
also.  So to call Tamizhs as those in South India who are not Brahmins, is a travesty of truth.  Sanskrit and Tamizh are considered
the two eyes of Siva by poets.

The tragedy today is Tamizh is considered to be the sole property of DMK and ADMK guys, most of whom cannot even pronounce "zha" which is quite unique in Tamizh.  Malayalam took it after 1000 years. Again, Tamizh society were/are not anti Brahmins or anti
Sanskrit as brought out by politicians of Tamil Nadu today.  There were Brahmins in Tamil Nadu who were proficient in Sanskrit and
Tamizh right from Sangam period.  Tolkappiyar was a Brahmin.
Tiruvalluvar was a Brahmin.  In fact, Tamizh has borrowed many
words from Sanskrit and used them as they are or got them modified a little.  The first verse of Tirukural mentions four Sanskrit words, Akaram, Adhi, Bhagavan and Ulahu ( a modification of lokam in Sanskrit).  Tamizh has got a hoary past and it had no enmity towards Sanskrit.  Tiru Jnana Sambandhar was a Brahmin.  He wrote Tamizh which these people cannot even read properly.  If one
Dravidian (!) politician could read the first verse of ULLadu Narapdu,
without any mistake, I shall withdraw from this Forum!

I can write many more things.  But Bhagavan has willed it that
I should not write any new posts.  That is why I have not even
continued ULLadu Narpadu, beyond Verse 29.  Otherwise the glory
and contamination today of Tamizh can be written in 10 posts.
Not for the present.....

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
Interesting info Subramanian Garu.

Yes you are right only politicans for their power are misusing the power of language.

But unfortunately there were some moments in the past for anti-hindi and anti-brahmanism in tamil nadu.

One Example: 

Anti-Brahmanism vs. Anti-Brahmin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periyar_E._V._Ramasamy#Anti-Brahmanism_vs._Anti-Brahmin

Opposition to Hindi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periyar_E._V._Ramasamy#Opposition_to_Hindi

But thankfully now there are no more these type of events and it is alright in tamil nadu.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Anti-brahminism still continues even today in Tamil Nadu.  It was
originally whipped up by anti-Hindi agitation, in 1965, but it continued throughout the DMK/ADMK regime and continues.  In Tamil Nadu, it is very very difficult for brahmin boys and girls to get admission into government colleges.  Moneyed brahmins no doubt give huge donation and if money comes, the politicians forget about the caste and give admissions.  Thanks to bank industry and IT industry, brahmin boys have got some relief.  These industries take only the merit into consideration, and the bright front ranking brahmin boys get the jobs.  But today even in IIT and IIM, the scheduled quota of admissions have come into vogue.  But bright brahmins boys with good marks can still make it.

Next comes the temples.  Certain temples which were autonomous
and which were managing their own affairs, like Chidambaram Temple, has since been taken over by the government, with a chief
executive officer of IAS cadre to look after the affairs. 

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:00:48 PM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji

It is a shock to know about your discontinuation of new posts. I request you to proceed further. It is a good feast for the spiritual heart and mind to read new padigams. Because there is no other person who can explain tamil padigams and nayanmars stories. There is no doubt for Bhagavan's grace. It is everlasting and for every one. Bhagavan never stops such noble works. Being a jnani He wrote many padigam, in tamil, telugu,malaiyalam and sanskrit. I wounder how you could have a huge collection of spiritual books and have a good knowledge. Being a senior person you may take some rest but do not give up writing.

Ramanaduli

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
Dear Subramanian Garu,

I understand you many have some personal problems in sending new messages in this forum currently and hope the obstruction gets eradicated by god's grace and post new articles again.

Even my number of new messages per day will gradually decrease to 1-2 new posts in a weeks time as i am almost done with all the articles i want to share in this forum.

Thanks once again for allowing me to share few articles in this forum.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:40:34 PM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »

Dear prasanth, Ramanaduli,

It is Bhagavan's Will to stop new posts.  I shall continue to write
responses to other members' posts.  What more can I say?
Sri Ramanarpanamastu.

Arunachala Siva.