Author Topic: Kavyakantha's letters to Sri Bhagavan  (Read 2067 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Kavyakantha's letters to Sri Bhagavan
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »
Any informations pertaining to Sri Kavyakanth and Sri Bhagavan is very inspiring and divine and special because, Sri Bhagavan Himself used to address Kavyakantha as 'Nayana'. Here are some letters mailed by Sri Kavyakantha to Sri Bhagavan. I am happy to share it with you all.

10 March 1931
Anandasrama
Sirsi
N.Kanara

Lord, Guha Incarnate,

Bhagavan should have already known about my life of Tapas here with my followers through the letters from Sundara Rao Pandit, Viswanatha, and Kapali. Since the past three days all of us here are having blissful experiences; I am particularly happy of my own experiences. Many have had the vision of Bhagavan in their dreams. All of us are of the firm conviction that this progress is entirely due to the gracious glance of the Bhagavan. Lord, my present inner experience, achieved by Bhagavan’s look of grace, I understand to be inherence in the Vijnana-Atman, the sphere of pure intellect. I clearly experience my Self in the cave of the heart quite distinct from the body; yet, I have not ceased looking upon the world as different from myself. And, so I consider that this is not the complete and ultimate inherence in the Self. May Bhagavan Himself bless me with that Purna-Nishta by His gracious look, capable of traversing any distance. My experience of ecstasy hitherto was particularly dynamic; it was pure and simple flow of power. But now it is perceived to be a flow of light giving a sense of utmost lightness. My faith is getting strengthened that the Deities are working upon for the fulfilment of the great task, impelled by Bhagavan Maharshi’s look of Grace. May Bhagavan send me as a reply, His Look, full of compassion. Kapali with his wife, Mahadeva, Viswanatha, Ranga, and Sitaram’s daughter are residents of the Ashrama here. Sundara Rao Pandit, his sister and Devendra Sarma join us usually every morning and evening. All of us pray for the Gracious Look of Bhagavan.

I am,

Bhagavan’s servant
Vasishtha Ganapati

P.S: Lord, I shall scrutinize Sat-darsana 2 tommorrow
onwards and send it soon to your holy presence.

Vasishtha

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Kavyakantha's letters to Sri Bhagavan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:32:15 AM »

Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni had immense devotion to Bhagavan.
He took pride in calling himself Ganapati and treating Bhagavan
Ramana as his younger brother Guha, or Skanda or Muruga.  Bhagavan Ramana also had equal amount of respect for him and called him as Nayana, Father or Elder brother.

These letters had been written in Sanskrit and Bhagavan Ramana's
replies were in English. 

There is only one letter which became controversial.  This is the
letter dated 03.06.1931 written from Anandashramam, Sirasi.
Here Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni says:

O Bhagavan!  Friend of the Distressed,

Sundara Krishna conveyed though his letter Bhagavan's exposition.
Our doubts were cleared.  The clarification that you gave, "The non
existence of the limited is the same to both the liberated and Ishwara"  has removed all our doubts.  There is Iswara who is the Lord of Creation.  The Liberated has a personality.  Their experiences are the same and devoid of thoughts and thougtlessness.  This has become clear to us through your words.
Hence the argument that Sad Darsanam is giving scope to drishti-
srishti vada is annulled.  This answer inheres in Sad Darsanam itself.

Kavyakana Ganapati Muni's views that Sad Darsanam is annulling the scope to drishti srishti vada is not correct. I do not think that
Bhagavan Ramana further wrote on this issue.  He left it at that.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
In Ramana Hridayam of Sri Lakshmana Sharma, we have:

विश्वं दृग्दृश्यभिन्नं स्थितिलयजननान्येति छित्तेन साकं
स्वप्ने जाग्रत्यपीदं  भवति च विलयं गच्छतीदं सुषुप्तौ ।
एवं विश्वं समस्तं भवति हि मनसो वृत्तयो नित्यभाने
जातं लीनं च यस्मिन् भवति मन इदं तत् स्वतत्त्वं विशोकम् ॥

The universe, diversified as the seer and his spectacle, has its rising, (interval of) manifestation, and setting along with the mind; it appears in the states of dream and waking; in dreamless sleep it disappears; thus the whole universe is just the mind's thoughts (and nothing more); that constantly shining One, in which the mind has its existence, is the Real Self, untouched by unhappiness.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
and just as a conclusion to it, I wish to add these verses as well, of Sri Lakshmana Sharmas' Ramana Hridayam from the Advaita Prakaranam:

को देवः स्याद्यो मनो वेत्ति सोऽयं जानाम्येतज्जीवनामाहमेव ।
तस्मात् स त्वं वक्ति साक्षाच्छ्रुतिश्चाप्येको देवः सर्वभूतेष्वपीति ॥

'Who is God?' 'The One that knows the mind','
(But) I myself, as the individual soul, always know the mind!'
'Therefore thou art thyself God, (not an individual);
besides,
Revelation itself says that God is the one Self in all creatures.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
17 March 1931,
Tuesday,
Anandasrama
Sirsi, N.Kanara

Lord, Preceptor Universal,

An urge from within prompts me to write a letter to Bhagavan’s presence every week. As it was on the night of a Tuesday I got established in my Self by Bhagavan’s grace, fixed that day itself for writing my letters. All are well here. Viswanatha has received the letter from the esteemed Swami Niranjanananda. There was some information in it somewhat depressing. But Viswanatha and others here got consoled at heart by the remembrance of the immortality of the real Self.

The Sanskrit verse of Sat-darsana was finished on Saturday. The import of Bhagavan’s verses in Tamil Venba metre has been brought out in it to the best of my ability. I bow to Sriman Lakshmana Sarma who led me to take up this work. Perceiving the restriction of my hands in correcting His rendering, I myself began composing and have completed it. If there be any excellence in my verse rendering, it is Bhagavan’s Grace.

From the Saturday my vision became distinct. I may say that I see everything as the manifestation of One Existence. It is my prayer to Bhagavan that this vision may culminate as spontaneous experience unassailable. I see as bubbles in water all formation in one existence; and I try to discard the former and experience pure existence alone always.

Sat-darsana was sent on Sunday and I hope it would have reached the presence of Bhagavan before this letter. Chiranjeevi Kapali has begun his Tika (commentary) on Sat-darsana today. May Bhagavan bless this endeavour so that it may be completed unhampered. I request the manager of Sri Ramanasramam to wait for the completion

of the commentary and get Sat-darsana printed with it and not before without it. Mahadeva is continuing his stay here. Everything is alright.

Praying for Bhagavan’s grace,
I am, Vasishtha
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »
24 March 1931
Anandasrama
Sirsi

Lord, Master of Primal Cause,

By Bhagavan’s Grace, we are, as it were constantly immersed in the effulgence of Bhagavan’s compassion. Sat-Vidya has been returned by post corrected and improved as far as possible. Kapali has not yet begun his commentary on Sat-darsana. He is just now making a critical study of the work in its entirety to scrutinize the pros and cons of its contents. Whichever portion of my rendering of the original he doubts as exceeding or deficient, I am revisiting and setting aright. Our Viswanatha also is of help to us in this task.

Bhagavan, Slayer of Maya’s offspring, the sense of separate existence in me has not yet vanished. I know that one flash of your wish could bless me with the experience of Absolute identity with the Universal. And I know also that no wish whatsoever could step in by itself at your Heart. None but the Lord of the Universe could generate such an urge from your Heart. One might ask, “Why this roundabout way? Could not God Himself bestow His Grace directly on any one? Why should He bother to cause such an urge arise in someone else?” True. This mystery only a blessed few could comprehend. When the person incarnate is present, it is through Him alone the Lord operates and not by Himself. That is the tradition. The person incarnate alone bears the burden for which He is born and not any other being celestial or human; for such indeed is the command He has got from the Lord Supreme. Therefore, my Lord, I pray to the Supreme to impel that such an urge of Grace arise from your heart.

I am,
Your brother, ever with you from the past.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes.  It is the sadhaka who should make all efforts and when
efforts are mature enough, Maya withdraws her mischief with him.
Grace flows.  This is Sakti Nipadam, the descent of Grace.  Maya
opens a royal road for the sadhaka to reach Sivam.

Arunachala Siva.