Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi says Let each one mind his business. All will be well  (Read 1157 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Talk 161

An elderly man from Ananthapur, after hearing the Vedas recited in the hall, stood up and asked: “It is said that the non-Brahmins should not hear the recital of the Vedas.”

Maharshi:

Mind your business. Take care of what you came here for. Why do you waste your time in these matters? “I heard the recital,” you say. “Who is that ‘I’? Without knowing the ‘I’ you are using the word. If its significance be known there will be no doubt. Find the ‘I’ first and you may afterwards speak of other matters.”

Continuing, Sri Bhagavan said:

“The smritis say something. They are not appropriate now. I will reform the world, rewrite the smritis.” Saying so, people are cutting capers in the world from time immemorial. Such reformers have come and gone; but the ancient smritis still stand. Why waste time over such matters? Let each one mind his business. All will be well.

Source: Talks With Ramana Maharshi Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Bhagavan Ramana was quite particular that one should attend to the
work for which he had come.  The man from Anantapur should either
listen to the Vedic chanting or close his mind and do dhyana.  Leaving these two, he started questioning. 

There were many such incidents.  Once a Western lady who could
not squat on the floor like Indians, was stretching her legs leaning
against the wall.  The attendant leaving his business, went all the way to her to ask her to squat.  Bhagavan on seeing this, started squatting His legs.  When the attendant saw this, he asked Bhagavan:  Swami, why should you.....?  Bhagavan Ramana said that if that is the condition for that lady, the same applies to Him
too.  Then, He said: Attend to the work for which you have come.     

On another occasion, a gentleman was dozing off after sometime,
in the Hall, when everyone was either asking some questions or doing dhyana.  The attendant, as usual, went to wake him up.
Bhagavan Ramana smilingly said:  He is doing the work for which he had come.  You attend to the work for which you are here.

Arunachala Siva.