Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 189  (Read 1123 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 189
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Muruganar continues in his Guru Vachaka Kovai:-

Verse 908:  If one enquires what is the foremost of many virtues
that are enjoined by the scriptures, as being the pre-requisite qualification for those desiring deathless liberation, it is the great virtue of joyfully seeking the changeless solitude.  Moreover, this
great virtue should be present naturally, and be well established
in their minds.

Upadesa Manjari - Chapter II. Question and Answer 19:-

Question:  What is the meaning of dwelling in solitude [ekantavasa]?

Bhagavan:  As the Self is all pervasive, it has no particular place
for solitude.  The state of being free from mental concepts is called 'dwelling in solitude'. 

This is from Living by the Words of Bhagavan, David Godman:

" 'I' [Annamalai Swami] have this desire to live in a place, where
nobody visits.  I feel another desire to get food without any effort.
I also want to meditate constantly with my eyes closed, without seeing the world at all.  These desires often come to me.  Are thy
good or bad?"

Bhagavan said:  "If you have desires such as these, you will have
to take another birth to fulfill them.  What does it matter where you stay?  Keep your mind always in the Self.  Apart from the Self, there is no solitary place 'outside'.  Wherever you exist keeping company with the mind, that place is without doubt a crowded place."

Verse 911:  Despite remaining inside and outside, pervading all
things, space exists without even slightly clinging to them.  Unless you know yourself to be unattached Self, which is like Space, it will not be possible to avoid becoming a victim of delusion.

Verse 912:  It is only the collection of Vasanas present in the Heart, that truly deserves to be despised and discarded.  Those who possess the distinction that derives from getting the deceitful mind to subside will bear no taint, whatever company they keep.

Muruganar adds here:-

Only the collection of vasanas present in the Heart deserves to be despised and discarded by the wise as an association [sanga]
that constitutes the obstacle to Self abidance.  If a person initially remains in solitude, patiently practicing Self abidance, and consequently gets the mind to subside completely, then in whatever environment that the person who possesses the eminence of a vasana free mind may happen to live on account of his prarabdha,
no blemish will accrue to him.

Unless vasanas, the inner attachments, are already present, the
outer attachments cannot pull the mind, making it wander here and there, preventing it from getting established in the Self abidance.
Therefore, those who possess the greatness of a stilled mind do not
incur any blemish, irrespective of whatever environment they may
reside in.  The implication is: only inner attachments is truly attachment; outer attachment is not the problem.

Verse 913:  For those whose minds stagger around in a chaotic way, everything will prove contrary.

Muruganar adds here:  Only through quietude of mind will there be any consistency in our experience.  Conversely, there will be no peace for those who possess an ego-mind that staggers around in chaos, under the sway of vasanas.  They will never attain a state
that is in harmony with their experience.  Although, in their outward turned view point, they have many potential sense pleasures, all will prove contrary to their expectation.

(All Guru Vachaka Kovai verses, translations are from David Godman's book.)

Arunachala Siva.